hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    E/Port = Ellesmere Port, where I live. Not interesting at all, quite a dull place really!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
    Welcome aboard anyway.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Welcome aboard anyway.

Cheers, thanks for the welcome! :thumbup:

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I was told by a fella handing out Vote Yes stickers that if Scotland go independent then they automatically qualify for Euro 2016
    He's right, we get into the final of the Eurovision Song Contest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    Nope. We'd maybe get as far as Greece but that's about it.

Our boys are too used to the British style, sadly.
    I'd take that, on the assumption you're not referring specifically to this years World Cup. After all, winning the Euros isn't too bad an achievement

Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    E/Port = Ellesmere Port, where I live. Not interesting at all, quite a dull place really!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
    any port in a storm

Perhaps we need to become a nation first.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Costa Rica, Uruguay, Honduras, Belgium - all small countries that prove it can be done. There is no GOOD reason we cannot achieve better results, other than all being lazy pissheads who only aspire to make it as far as Glasgow I suppose.
    Not saying a YES vote would result in us becoming good again overnight, however there seems to be a lack of pride in Scotland generally and a lot of people have accepted our 'fate', that we are useless at most things.

However, I feel that Strachan has at least proven what a positive, upbeat approach can accomplish. Not giant strides but undefeated I believe this year and at least playing some decent, positive football. And he has done this in a short period of time.

I am under no illusions about our limitations but they have been self imposed limitations brought to bear by negative managers who seemed to have their own agenda.

A huge test awaits us in Germany but at least under the prevailing mood in the Scottish team there are some grounds for optimism. Imagine if Levein was still in charge for this game.

Not to get carried away by the never say die hype surrounding the USA in this World Cup but they showed that a good attititude in tandem with being well coached can make a decent football team and a team very hard to beat. Like, as the OP said, Costa Rica. Very well coached.

I actually think there are no great national teams in the world right now. A few teams that will always be there, but Brazil are far from a great side although I appreciate they set high standards for themselves for years. Messi is Argentina. Germany are their usual brilliant well organized machine but not a 'great' team, although I think they are in the top 3. Holland are hard to judge. Still seem like a WC disappointment looming for the Dutch fans, imo of course. Italy average, Uruguay average, England average, France on the way up but certainly not there yet. Spain on the way down somewhat. Portugal? Not a lot to fear.

Just my opinion but not great teams which is why perhaps some people are saying this has been a great world cup. No obvious stand out team. No giants beating up on the small guys. The usual suspects yes but it has come down to bar Brazil being saved by the woodwork with 2 minutes to go, penalty shoot victories after uninspiring performances by several 'big' teams.

We shall see in the campaign for the 2016 Euros but I feel a lot better about our team than I did a year or so ago.

I was told by a guy handing out NO flyers, that there was to be no political slants on hibs.net, he also said we were to wee to qualify for the euro competition.

We should be looking at countries like Croatia and asking ourselves what they are doing. Big hitters like Belgium, Portugal and the Netherlands only have populations of around 10-15 million so again, we should be looking closer to home.

Wasn't some Dutch guy brought in to revolutionize our game a few years ago? It might take a few more years and I'm pretty certain we aren't simply a lost cause. We have a real passion fir football in this country and it can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    We should be looking at countries like Croatia and asking ourselves what they are doing. Big hitters like Belgium, Portugal and the Netherlands only have populations of around 10-15 million so again, we should be looking closer to home.

Wasn't some Dutch guy brought in to revolutionize our game a few years ago? It might take a few more years and I'm pretty certain we aren't simply a lost cause. We have a real passion fir football in this country and it can be done!
    Mark Wotte has been here since 2011 and appears to be doing a great job.

Costa Rica is a lovely place, I was there last year, but its full of nutters.

I went on a river trip and now and again the guide jumped out the boat and got close up and personal with numerous crocodiles, feeding them chickens and giving their noses a good smack!

The place also iguanas all over the place. They were traditionally eaten by the Costa Ricans, they're known as tree chickens, but this is now discouraged.

Costa Rica has no armed forces as such. The reasoning being that they're too wee and if anyone did invade they'd be ****** anyways.

Lovely country, lovely people.

So I'd like us to be like Costa Rica, so long as I don't have to feed crocodiles!
    Space to let

No, not without a huge culture change.

We simply aren't producing the players in large enough numbers, there's obviously a few good young ones starting to emerge now, but as long as a majority of Scottish players continue to follow a 'traditional' lifestyle of heavy drinking, eating crap and being laughably unfit for professional athletes then we will continue to struggle.

That the good players we do produce seem to mostly end up stunting their growth at the Old Firm, or drifting around the fringes of lower end EPL squads doesn't help either.

Costa Rica played out their skins in every game, they fought for each other, didn't give up and showed no fear. It's not impossible for us to do that, but we probably don't have the quality they do, which is a sad thing to say really. Belgium are the latest example of proving that producing a crop of talented players is not some great mystery, but they also show it's no guarantee of success.

I could see Strachan sneaking us into a tournament, but it's probably going to be a good 10 years plus till we see any of the fruits of the SFA's changes with that Dutch guy, if that doesn't work then you're kicking any light at the end of the tunnel even further away.

Basically, since the 90's, Scottish football has been left behind massively, and the rise of many new nations in Europe, a lot of them already far better than we are and producing players of a quality we haven't seen the like of in decades is the problem. It's a long road back.

San Fran Hibs summed it up pretty well.

As far as I can see Strachan has done a small thing which seems to have been beyond previous managers. He appears to have said 'look you lot, you play club football at a decent level so instead of being afraid of the opposition get out there and take the game to them'

I for one am a lot more positive about Scotland than I was a year ago.

A few years back it was thought by the folk in charge that the Scottish way of playing with guts and passion was out dated and had to be replaced by science and tactics, and as a result we have failed big time.

The likes of the USA and Costa Rica have shown that teams with decent tactics but average players can go a long way if you get them to play with guts and passion ..... something we used to have in spades, and can have again.

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

Scotland will have a good team again. Of course we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Perceptions of Nationhood aside. Scotland geographically does occupy the Northern part of the Island of Great Britain.

J

With respect, are we equally European? The use of the word British in context of nationhood is a flimsy one and fairly contemporary. Britain is a geographical term the etymology of which is bound with political connotation therefore not everyone feels comfortable using it. This can be seen in the historical use of both words in relation to Ireland. I am Scottish, if others wish to use the term British to describe my national status it is up to them, but strictly speaking they are incorrect to do so. They can use it to describe me geographically as in I am European and live in Europe, but I would politely ask them not to do so as I find it offensive due to the afore mentioned political connotations associated with words Britain and British.

So, can Scotland be like Costa Rica? No because we are Scotland! However we can have a good national football team again, of course we can!

I think domestic Scottish football has to change in order to allow quicker development of Scottish talent. Meaning Scottish domestic football has to be primarily about developing youth through to first team Football as it used to be. Nevertheless, football is
    cyclical in nature, we're bound to get a good team again soon, aren't we? I was 21 the last time we were at a world cup, in fact any major finals, that's just sad.
    Last edited by Lewis77; 06-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's not politics, its geography :-)
    Exactly how I was going to respond.

FWIW you can describe how we, the English, Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish play as the "British" way of playing. I think that was what the OP was meaning.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Exactly how I was going to respond.

FWIW you can describe how we, the English, Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish play as the "British" way of playing. I think that was what the OP was meaning.

J
    All the Scotland youth squads now play a more Dutch style 4-3-3 and it is starting to produce better results in youth tournaments.

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    any port in a storm
    Too right! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis77 View Post

I am Scottish, if others wish to use the term British to describe my national status it is up to them, but strictly speaking they are incorrect to do so. They can use it to describe me geographically as in I am European and live in Europe, but I would politely ask them not to do so as I find it offensive due to the afore mentioned political connotations associated with words Britain and British.

I've been trying to avoid answering this stuff and getting the thread off track but I can't help myself anymore.....

What you have written is completely wrong.

If you have a UK Passport, please open to the page where it says 'Nationality'. I think you will find it is British. You might not like it but it won't change the fact.

Now, I have no wish to be British any longer than absolutely necessary and hope one day to return home to an Independent Scotland but I accept that it is my Nationality now.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 06-07-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I've been trying to avoid answering this stuff and getting the thread off track but I can't help myself anymore.....

If you have a UK Passport, please open to the page where it says 'Nationality'. I think you will find it is British. You might not like it but it won't change the fact.

Now, I have no wish to British any longer than absolutely necessary and hope one day to return home to an Independent Scotland but I accept that it is my Nationality now.
    Spot on.
    Don't particularly like it but that's the facts.

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

With respect that is misleading

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

Now, I have no wish to be British any longer than absolutely necessary and hope one day to return home to an Independent Scotland but I accept that it is my Nationality now.

It actually says British Citizen meaning a member of the British state, which is a political construct not geographical, this is why people from Northern Ireland hold British Passports. It's also why my birth certificate doesn't label me as being British nor does my driving license. The UK passport is a gray area because it has to follow certain EU guideline in the document lay out so can be misleading. Also, in essence it is only a document allowing travel outside the legal boundaries of the British state. It is not a legal document of nationality only citizenship!

Reckon that if we dont qualify for the next euros then we never will. Decent group, does 3rd spot get a play-off spot or is it just top 2 that goes through?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Reckon that if we dont qualify for the next euros then we never will. Decent group, does 3rd spot get a play-off spot or is it just top 2 that goes through?
    3rd gets a playoff iirc. Think half of europe qualify!

Can Scotland be like Costa Rica?

What a ridiculous question!

First of all, Costa Rica is a poor independent country, Scotland is a rich dependent country.

We will always play second fiddle to our larger southern neighbour and be told to be thankfull for it.

Firstly: An increase in the number of hours of technical based coaching at elite level academies and development centres to match other nations. This can be done at the academy or at satellite facilities such as Spartans or, honestly, anywhere with a half decent astroturf pitch so it lessens the distance of travel for parents. It is a method Crystal Palace and Chelsea use a lot around my way - they hire or help in paying for an astroturf and hold local sessions for boys who may not be able to get to Croydon/Cobham easily or regularly.

Secondly: An increase of hours in schools of 'Invasion games' that may, or may not, be football orientated. Futsal would be my preferred sport but things like Basketball, Handball and the like still use similar movements and help develop young childrens Agility, Balance and Co-ordination.

Thirdly: The Government to look into and help fund/develop elite schools of sporting excellence that allow children to board. Around a curriculum of learning they can increase hours of sport as well as being fed correctly and looked after. These can be run by clubs (La Masia) however the start up cost would be huge for a club like Hibs let alone a Livi or Falkirk etc. Watford attempted this before their buyout and were starting to see results of their efforts.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis77 View Post

It actually says British Citizen meaning a member of the British state, which is a political construct not geographical, this is why people from Northern Ireland hold British Passports. It's also why my birth certificate doesn't label me as being British nor does my driving license. The UK passport is a gray area because it has to follow certain EU guideline in the document lay out so can be misleading. Also, in essence it is only a document allowing travel outside the legal boundaries of the British state. It is not a legal document of nationality only citizenship!

No, they hold a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Passport.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No, they hold a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Passport.
    Not necessarily so.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Firstly: An increase in the number of hours of technical based coaching at elite level academies and development centres to match other nations. This can be done at the academy or at satellite facilities such as Spartans or, honestly, anywhere with a half decent astroturf pitch so it lessens the distance of travel for parents. It is a method Crystal Palace and Chelsea use a lot around my way - they hire or help in paying for an astroturf and hold local sessions for boys who may not be able to get to Croydon/Cobham easily or regularly.

Secondly: An increase of hours in schools of 'Invasion games' that may, or may not, be football orientated. Futsal would be my preferred sport but things like Basketball, Handball and the like still use similar movements and help develop young childrens Agility, Balance and Co-ordination.

Thirdly: The Government to look into and help fund/develop elite schools of sporting excellence that allow children to board. Around a curriculum of learning they can increase hours of sport as well as being fed correctly and looked after. These can be run by clubs (La Masia) however the start up cost would be huge for a club like Hibs let alone a Livi or Falkirk etc. Watford attempted this before their buyout and were starting to see results of their efforts.
    The third of these is already happening.
    http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish....cfm?page=2660

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    Not necessarily so.

Of course not if they hold an Irish passport but otherwise yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The third of these is already happening.
    http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish....cfm?page=2660
    Obviously someone read my post

Seriously though, that is great news! 800 extra sessions over four years! If that is 2 hours per session then an extra 1,600 hours of technical play and skill. Brilliant. It is ALL about the hours!

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Can Scotland be like Costa Rica?

What a ridiculous question!

First of all, Costa Rica is a poor independent country, Scotland is a rich dependent country.

We will always play second fiddle to our larger southern neighbour and be told to be thankfull for it.
    Nobodies making us except ourselves. The bad news is that, after September, we won't be able to blame the big boy next door for our inadequacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    We should have won the world cup in 78
    The only side unbeaten in the '74 competition. Only conceded one goal and drew with the reigning champions. If Billy Bremner hadn't missed a sitter we'd have won it.

But we still went out at the group stage.