hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Luis Suarez has been in touch with Hibs fans, asking them how they coped with no football for 4 months?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Front Teeth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it looks like, according to bbc, Barca still going to pay 80 mill for him and pay him god knows how mutch. I might bite someone at work tomorrow and see if I can get myself a wee pay rise.
    Thats just the problem. If I went into work on monday morning and bit one of my colleagues i'd be out the door instantly and would probably find it hard to get new employment with that on my record but because he's a football player he will (after his ban is served) carry on doing what he loves and getting paid mega mega bucks for the privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Luis Suarez has been in touch with Hibs fans, asking them how they coped with no football for 4 months?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk1875 View Post
    Well said Strachan - Suarez has been deservedly banned and sent home in shame. Also, Liverpool and Uruguay fans do appear like blinkered idiots and their associations irredeemably cynical for trying to defend him, but we at Hibs for example, are in no position to criticise. Over the last several seasons we have on several occasions sought to collectively sweep under the carpet disgraceful and/or idiotic behaviour perpetrated by favourite players such as GOC, Deeks and Leigh Griffiths.
    Of course none of the stuff carried out by these "one of our own" heroes has been on the same scale of disgusting blatant idiocy as Suarez's moment of shameful madness at the WC, but our reaction as fans has generally been to rally round because it suits us. We don't want to lose out on the delights of watching all too rare talents express themselves on the pitch for our team and are willing to stoop to otherwise unchartered amoral depths to forgive their failings.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSeven View Post
    Thats just the problem. If I went into work on monday morning and bit one of my colleagues i'd be out the door instantly and would probably find it hard to get new employment with that on my record but because he's a football player he will (after his ban is served) carry on doing what he loves and getting paid mega mega bucks for the privilege!
    Yes, but you are an ordinary person, of little interest to most people. He is a professional athlete, and his job is to be interesting.

Does anybody know of a recorded case of someone being sent to jail for biting a man in the shoulder?

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

Liverl fans

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Well said Strachan - Suarez has been deservedly banned and sent home in shame. Also, Liverpool and Uruguay fans do appear like blinkered idiots and their associations irredeemably cynical for trying to defend him, but we at Hibs for example, are in no position to criticise. Over the last several seasons we have on several occasions sought to collectively sweep under the carpet disgraceful and/or idiotic behaviour perpetrated by favourite players such as GOC, Deeks and Leigh Griffiths.
    Of course none of the stuff carried out by these "one of our own" heroes has been on the same scale of disgusting blatant idiocy as Suarez's moment of shameful madness at the WC, but our reaction as fans has generally been to rally round because it suits us. We don't want to lose out on the delights of watching all too rare talents express themselves on the pitch for our team and are willing to stoop to otherwise unchartered amoral depths to forgive their failings.

To be fair I don't think all Liverpool fans are defending him. My impression is far less are defending him on this occasion as they did previous. Nevertheless, I concede that there are still Liverpool fans who are attempting to shield Mr.Saurez from criticism, but there will always be folks who are blinkered when it comes to such matters as you well point out in relation to our own club and it's supporters.

Fortunately this time FIFA has acted relative to the crime. There is no anti-Uruguay or anti-Liverpool conspiracy going on. The lad has form and he has been disciplined on a sliding scale of appropriate punishment.

He has done a lot of damage to the reputation of Liverpool FC. The racial incident was reported across the world and most importantly in the States where it wasn't reported favourably. We know the Owner wasn't happy and it didn't help Kenny come the end of that season.

If I was owner of Liverpool FC I'd sell him for as much as possible (the sum being spoken of is ridiculas) and buy 2/3 world class players with the cash.

At the moment Liverpool FC is coming across as a slave to Saurez's flaws. Liverpool can not afford to be seen in such a fashion. They need to live up to the 'no man is bigger than the club' mantra.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis77 View Post
    To be fair I don't think all Liverpool fans are defending him. My impression is far less are defending him on this occasion as they did previous. Nevertheless, I concede that there are still Liverpool fans who are attempting to shield Mr.Saurez from criticism, but there will always be folks who are blinkered when it comes to such matters as you well point out in relation to our own club and it's supporters.

Fortunately this time FIFA has acted relative to the crime. There is no anti-Uruguay or anti-Liverpool conspiracy going on. The lad has form and he has been disciplined on a sliding scale of appropriate punishment.

He has done a lot of damage to the reputation of Liverpool FC. The racial incident was reported across the world and most importantly in the States where it wasn't reported favourably. We know the Owner wasn't happy and it didn't help Kenny come the end of that season.

If I was owner of Liverpool FC I'd sell him for as much as possible (the sum being spoken of is ridiculas) and buy 2/3 world class players with the cash.

At the moment Liverpool FC is coming across as a slave to Saurez's flaws. Liverpool can not afford to be seen in such a fashion. They need to live up to the 'no man is bigger than the club' mantra.

Sadly that mantra is no longer true, Liverpool completely smashed that theory with the way they dealt with Suarez last time.

The key thing with him is, I don't think you can even ask the question 'will he do it again' it's almost certainly 'when will he do it again.'

Spending tens of millions on a player who could easily spend months / years out banned is madness. Can't quite figure out the motivation for doing so, even with his unquestioned talent. Plenty other top quality strikers without the character flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Yes, but you are an ordinary person, of little interest to most people. He is a professional athlete, and his job is to be interesting.

Does anybody know of a recorded case of someone being sent to jail for biting a man in the shoulder?
    I'm not saying he should be sent to jail. My point was that he will serve a few months on the sidelines (still being paid his ridiculous amounts of money) then it will be back to normal, he will be back to playing the game he loves, earning mega bucks etc and that will be that. Whereas "ordinary" people would most likely loose their job etc. Thats just the problem, these celebritites perhaps behave badly because they know it will have far lesser consequences due to their status.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSeven View Post
    I'm not saying he should be sent to jail. My point was that he will serve a few months on the sidelines (still being paid his ridiculous amounts of money) then it will be back to normal, he will be back to playing the game he loves, earning mega bucks etc and that will be that. Whereas "ordinary" people would most likely loose their job etc. Thats just the problem, these celebritites perhaps behave badly because they know it will have far lesser consequences due to their status.
    Hear what you're saying, but the whole thing about celebrity is that they are different from other people. So, I guess the rules are different.

At the end of the day, if ordinary people want to do something about celebrities they just have to stop paying attention to them. For me, having half the planet comment in how you do your job; having every numpty that's ever seen a football game, have the brass neck to comment on your mental health; having to deal with people saying that they "hope your kids get cancer" - all of these and more mean that the players are entitled to a wee bit of extra cash.

They don't live ordinary lives, so ordinary rules shouldn't apply.

Hear what you're saying, but the whole thing about celebrity is that they are different from other people. So, I guess the rules are different.

At the end of the day, if ordinary people want to do something about celebrities they just have to stop paying attention to them. For me, having half the planet comment in how you do your job; having every numpty that's ever seen a football game, have the brass neck to comment on your mental health; having to deal with people saying that they "hope your kids get cancer" - all of these and more mean that the players are entitled to a wee bit of extra cash.

Nailed it FR

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar

A wee bit of extra cash?

There's people out there that go through similar levels of abuse who don't get that "wee bit of extra cash". But thats ok, because they're just mere mortals like the majority of us.

Most football players that get a high level of abuse invite it onto themselves by doing incredibly stupid things, just like Suarez.

Players that just get on with the job and don't invite negative attention on to themselves won't get anywhere near the same level of abuse.

best headline yet " FIFA fang Saurez to rights".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    A wee bit of extra cash?

There's people out there that go through similar levels of abuse who don't get that "wee bit of extra cash". But thats ok, because they're just mere mortals like the majority of us.

Most football players that get a high level of abuse invite it onto themselves by doing incredibly stupid things, just like Suarez.

Players that just get on with the job and don't invite negative attention on to themselves won't get anywhere near the same level of abuse.
    If the rest of us are jealous of how much cash they get, then simply apply to do their job.

God, you are boring.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    The key thing with him is, I don't think you can even ask the question 'will he do it again' it's almost certainly 'when will he do it again.'

Spending tens of millions on a player who could easily spend months / years out banned is madness. Can't quite figure out the motivation for doing so, even with his unquestioned talent. Plenty other top quality strikers without the character flaws.
    Exactly, and its only a matter of time before he kills someone doing it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Exactly, and its only a matter of time before he kills someone doing it.

Blog Entries
    Suarez is still protesting his innocence. He should be banned for two matches for every time he talks to the media about the incident.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Suarez is still protesting his innocence. He should be banned for two matches for every time he talks to the media about the incident.
    He must be fairly close to being sectioned, shirley, even though he hasn't killed anyone yet?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar

All due respect but I find your arguments are all over the place FR. Comparing McGiven to your own work experience in a previous thread, then stating that it's different for 'celebrity' footballers.

At what point do you become a 'celebrity' as a footballer? Premier League? Championship? International? When shouldn't 'ordinary rules' apply?

And is that just for footballers or does it extend to actors, pop stars, and presenters like Adrian Chiles who are in the public eye and get a fair bit of abuse?

Just curious to hear why anyone should be treated differently to anyone else...
    Last edited by Baader; 29-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.