hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Alan Stubbs - your thoughts?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Overwhelmed

12 4.33%
  • Whelmed (re post from last week)

179 64.62%
  • Underwhelmed

86 31.05%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Stubbs

@hibs.net private member
    Good article..... Doesn't appear to like losing much.... Best get some decent players in or there may be a few seeing an angry manager !!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/fo...ce=twitterfeed

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Using the player analogy, Stubbs appointment ain't going to get you out if your seat. For me, I've given up trying to guess if someone is going to be any good for Hibs. It's an impossible task to tell. Managers who we thought would do well have failed miserably and managers who we thought WTF have turned out to be fine.

Anyone who thinks Stubbs is a good appointment is guessing and hoping at the same time. Until we start seeing his signings, tactics, subs, results... we're all dealing blind. Just have to hope LD is a decent judge and makes the right choice.
    Is that effectively like saying anyone thinks Stubbs is a bad appointment is guessing and hoping. This place needs to brighten up and get behind our club.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    What we needed - a proven manager with more than a single season of success in his entire managerial career and who has a reputation for playing football the right way.

What we got - a completely untested manager with no reputation whatsoever.

Wind of change, my erse...
    So Stubbs failed to impress when you interviewed him then?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    If there was an appointment to be made to reinvigorate the fan-base ... this wasn't it. Missed opportunity; we'll be looking again in 18 months. If Murray WAS in for the job ... what's Stubbs achieved in management that he hasn't?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    What we needed - a proven manager with more than a single season of success in his entire managerial career and who has a reputation for playing football the right way.

What we got - a completely untested manager with no reputation whatsoever.

Wind of change, my erse...

Alex McLeish and Tony Mowbray were unproven managers with no reputations and look how they turned out.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Alex McLeish and Tony Mowbray were unproven managers with no reputations and look how they turned out.
    McLeish was doing OK at Motherwell before we swiped him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    If there was an appointment to be made to reinvigorate the fan-base ... this wasn't it. Missed opportunity; we'll be looking again in 18 months. If Murray WAS in for the job ... what's Stubbs achieved in management that he hasn't?
    I'm not interested in a managerial appointment to invigorate the support...that's short term motivation...I want a winning team over the next few years. That's what will really invigorate the fans again. None of us have any clue how Stubbs will do - I'm trusting in the fact that the club knows this is a key appointment and they have taken their time to get a decent outcome. I actually think it's good that it's someone from left field..Having a Hibs connection has never been a measure of how good they do here as manager, so looking forward to see him build a staff and a squad..

The majority (including me) on here were enthused by Butcher ..... oops.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    So does anyone know what style of football we can expect to see under Stubbsy then?
    Organised and hard to beat would be a good starting point but ultimately I'd hope that he'd like to build an attacking team playing the ball on the deck (unlike Butcher).

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Christ another one! It's not the appointment that invigorate's the fan base it's the results on the pitch after the appointed has been given a chance to show what he can do. Stubbs has played at a higher level than Murray and generally been around much higher calibre of clubs than Murray, but it all means nothing unless he succeeds so give him a chance to succeed or fail if you like.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Christ another one! It's not the appointment that invigorate's the fan base it's the results on the pitch after the appointed has been given a chance to show what he can do. Stubbs has played at a higher level than Murray and generally been around much higher calibre of clubs than Murray, but it all means nothing unless he succeeds so give him a chance to succeed or fail if you like.
    He's also coached a team full time.

Murray trains twice a week I believe, hardly comparable to what is required at hibs.

Anyway this argument about needing experience is bloody stupid, can't believe it's still being discussed.

Look at our last manager, experienced and *****. Manager before that, experienced and *****. Manager before that, experienced abd *****. Last manager to win a trophy, inexperienced. Last manager that was universally popular, inexperienced.

It makes you wonder how young coaches ever get the chance to manage when folk keep asking for guys with a proven track record. Fenlon's track record in Ireland was good. Butcher's track record at ICT was good. Both failed miserably. Give me a go ahead young and ambitious coach anytime
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    It makes you wonder how young coaches ever get the chance to manage when folk keep asking for guys with a proven track record. Fenlon's track record in Ireland was good. Butcher's track record at ICT was good. Both failed miserably. Give me a go ahead young and ambitious coach anytime
    This is my thinking. I can get he may not everyone's juices flowing but lets hear what he has to say, I have mentioned in several posts that LD knows this is an important appointment and I really do trust her to get it right .

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There was probably Porto fans going absolutely mental when mourinho was appointed. Porto.net were going bonkers wanting the Portuguese equivalent of Bobby Williamson.

How do people think great managers Get experience?

Why can clubs like Barcelona, Celtic, Tottenham, a.c. Milan, Norwich, the rangers appoint young managers but we need exoerience? (I've included Norwich as they're a club that's just been relegated)

Ah **** it, I'm giving up, the argument for an experienced manager is so stupid it's not worth even debating, thankfully it looks like our board have more sense and vision than most of the experts on here.

@hibs.net private member

I know...imagine if this was the message board when Mourinho was appointed to his first gig....you mean the boy that hardly played senior and was Bobby Robson's translator! .... disaster appointment ! :-)

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There was probably Porto fans going absolutely mental when mourinho was appointed. Porto.net were going bonkers wanting the Portuguese equivalent of Bobby Williamson.

Why can clubs like Barcelona, Celtic, Tottenham, a.c. Milan, Norwich, the rangers appoint young managers but we need exoerience? (I've included Norwich as they're a club that's just been relegated)

Ah **** it, I'm giving up, the argument for an experienced manager is so stupid it's not worth even debating, thankfully it looks like our board have more sense and vision than most of the experts on here.
    Cracking post.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

Excellent post. Totally agree with everything said. I really hope Stubbs is a success and shuts up his critics on here. FFS, the guy hasn't even been officially appointed, yet there are folk on here insisting it's worrying times ahead with this appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Excellent post. Totally agree with everything said. I really hope Stubbs is a success and shuts up his critics on here. FFS, the guy hasn't even been officially appointed, yet there are folk on here insisting it's worrying times ahead with this appointment.
    That's because everyone learned a lesson fae Butcher so if they slaughter Stubbs and it goes wrong, they can say 'I told you so'.

This is how it feels

First Team Regular
    average ex old firm player.............someone from barcelonas................not really hard to pick

Nothing against him, but I'd be underwhelmed by any manager that Hibs appoint. My trust in them to get this right is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Like all Hibs managers he will receive my enthusiastic support until he does things that make me consider whether that support is still warranted.
    We will see what calibre of player he brings in.......

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I'm not interested in a managerial appointment to invigorate the support...that's short term motivation...I want a winning team over the next few years. That's what will really invigorate the fans again. None of us have any clue how Stubbs will do - I'm trusting in the fact that the club knows this is a key appointment and they have taken their time to get a decent outcome. I actually think it's good that it's someone from left field..Having a Hibs connection has never been a measure of how good they do here as manager, so looking forward to see him build a staff and a squad..

Errr ... the other managerial appointments haven't been key, then?

First Team Regular
    This one is more important than the other appointments imo. The Club hit rock bottom (relegation) - all the bad decisions previous led to this. Worst thing for me is the boardroom people are still there......still having a vote/say on who will be manager. Its like banging your head against a brick wall.

Just out of curiosity, who confirmed that Stubbs has been appointed manager? Has somebody from the club actually come out and said it or is it an 'in the know' rumour that's grown arms, legs and whatever else?

@hibs.net private member
    I'm trusting we have a different person leading the process this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Just out of curiosity, who confirmed that Stubbs has been appointed manager? Has somebody from the club actually come out and said it or is it an 'in the know' rumour that's grown arms, legs and whatever else?
    No one ,but there is enough media info to suggest Stubbs is the person they want and clearly something is holding up a Formal Announcement and the speculation is his no 2 Unsworth doesn't want to come with him .If that is the case then he rightly will want it sorted out out who would be his no 2 given hibs track record partnering up managers with others eg billy brown,jimmy nichol Derek Adams ,so no point in him coming unless he is happy with his no 2
    So unless that's wide of the mark there must be something else holding it up but assume it will be sorted out this week one way or the other as ideally we don't want to be heading into July without a Manager in place as I had hoped we would be looking at signings coming in for start of next week .

Just read a very alarming post on toffee.net or something. A lot of fans there saying good riddance. Apparently he slagged of Baines quite a bit about attitude and a section of fans turned on him. They say his tactics are typical Moyes, dull, organised.

The whole style v results thing is interesting and seems to divide supporters. As always I say we give the guy a chance and I have to say Im impressed with LD though talk is cheap and the real action has to be on the pitch this season!

First Team Breakthrough

TBF there are people on here that would complain if we appointed mourinho, i can see it now "he's inexperienced working with a budget like ours" " never seen him getting a team promoted" "some people are just predisposed to whinge and'll never be happy

Quote Originally Posted by shearer1981 View Post
    Just read a very alarming post on toffee.net or something. A lot of fans there saying good riddance. Apparently he slagged of Baines quite a bit about attitude and a section of fans turned on him. They say his tactics are typical Moyes, dull, organised. The whole style v results thing is interesting and seems to divide supporters. As always I say we give the guy a chance and I have to say Im impressed with LD though talk is cheap and the real action has to be on the pitch this season!
    Alarming!! REALLY. Need to try a bit harder with the negativity tbh it's been done already and for the last week.

!! It doesn't matter what you do or where you work there are always going to be 'clashes of personalities' etc.

Tbh I'm sick fed up,of all the negativity and the guy is not even in the door and he's been labelled a failure or has bad attitude.

His style is dull and organised!!

Tbh I would be more than happy to have a Moyes team.