hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2014 Wimbledon

Dimitrov levels things up, winning the second set 6-3.

Dimitrov serving at 4-5 in the third.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Djokovic takes the third set, 7-6.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Just back from a week away, is the Scottish guy Murray out then?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just back from a week away, is the Scottish guy Murray out then?
    Yep.

He managed to stay in a bit longer than the England football team managed in Brazil though.

Djokovic wins 6-4 3-6 7-6 7-6.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Yep.

He managed to stay in a bit longer than the England football team managed in Brazil though.
    That wouldn't have been difficult. Not being a great follower of tennis I can only go by what I have read but it seems he was miles away from his usual game and never at the races. Is his new coaching relationship going to work or do you think he might be rethinking his decision already? A shame to hear of him relinquishing his crown so easily.

That wouldn't have been difficult. Not being a great follower of tennis I can only go by what I have read but it seems he was miles away from his usual game and never at the races. Is his new coaching relationship going to work or do you think he might be rethinking his decision already? A shame to hear of him relinquishing his crown so easily.
    He had a disaster against Dimitrov but looked so comfortable in the first week so that performance was a bit of a shock.

Sometimes that happens though and he's just got to work even harder to get back to where he was over the last couple of years.

He's now dropped to 10th in the rankings though so the seedings at the bigger tournaments are going to be really tough on him as he could potentially face the likes of Nadal and Djokovic in the quarter finals.

He really hasn't played anywhere near his best in 2014. His biggest win this year was against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Miami Masters and he hasn't beaten any top 10 players so far this year in four attempts.

He had a disaster against Dimitrov but looked so comfortable in the first week so that performance was a bit of a shock.

Sometimes that happens though and he's just got to work even harder to get back to where he was over the last couple of years.

He's now dropped to 10th in the rankings though so the seedings at the bigger tournaments are going to be really tough on him as he could potentially face the likes of Nadal and Djokovic in the quarter finals.

He really hasn't played anywhere near his best in 2014. His biggest win this year was against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Miami Masters and he hasn't beaten any top 10 players so far this year in four attempts.
    Cheers mate, that puts it into context, never realised he had been poor by his standards this year so far.

Cheers mate, that puts it into context, never realised he had been poor by his standards this year so far.
    He's also not won any titles since winning Wimbledon last year and his best performance in a tournament since then was a semi final appearance in the Acapulco 500 event back in February (where he also lost to Dimitrov) and also at the French Open in May (where he was hammered by Nadal).

To answer your question from your first post regarding his new coaching set up, I get the impression that even Murray himself isn't too sure about how long it's going to last.

His relationship with Lendl was rock solid and he was the ideal fit for Murray. I think he is missing him a lot and it's showing in his performances.

Looks like the masters are putting the apprentices in their place today.

Roger Federer is two sets up on Milos Raonic and he's one set away from sealing his place in a Grand Slam final for the 25th time in his career and his ninth Wimbledon final.

So after 11 days of play, we've gone from 128 players in the draw, down to just two.

Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer will contest the Wimbledon final on Sunday and the pair will play in only their second Grand Slam final against each other. Their only previous meeting was in 2007 when Federer beat Djokovic in straight sets to win the US Open, which was also Djokovic's first Grand Slam final appearance.

Federer is looking to win a record breaking eighth Wimbledon title, more than a decade after his first success there. He's also looking to extend his record number of Grand Slam titles by winning his 18th major title.

Djokovic, on the other hand, is looking to lift the Wimbledon trophy for the second time in his career, three years after his first.

He'll be looking to go one step further after the disappointment of losing in straight sets to Andy Murray 12 months ago.

I'm going to go for Djokovic in four sets, although I would like to see Federer win an eighth title at Wimbledon.

Was great seeing Federer give Raonic a bit of a schooling today. Was like he had rolled the years back.

Hope he wins it but I really lile Djokovic as well so hope it's a great match more than anything.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Bit of a pasting for Eugenie Bouchard at the hands of Petra Kvitova, 6-3 6-0.

Kvitova wins Wimbledon for the second time in her career.

Testimonial Due
    He's also not won any titles since winning Wimbledon last year and his best performance in a tournament since then was a semi final appearance in the Acapulco 500 event back in February (where he also lost to Dimitrov) and also at the French Open in May (where he was hammered by Nadal).

To answer your question from your first post regarding his new coaching set up, I get the impression that even Murray himself isn't too sure about how long it's going to last.

His relationship with Lendl was rock solid and he was the ideal fit for Murray. I think he is missing him a lot and it's showing in his performances.
    All true, but the reason he hasn't won anything since Wimbledon is injury. He only played 4 more last year with a bad back, went for surgery and was only somewhere near his best again in May, and let's face it Nadal is close to unbeatable on clay. Of course he was likely to have a blip as he works his way back to his absolute best and that came against Dimitrov. Its a struggle now because of the way the rankings work but remember he has no points to defend from September onwards, and not very many between now and then. I'd expect him to be top 5 by the end of the year and he'll be back to his best for 2015, regardless of who his coach is.

Federer takes the first set, cool as a cucumber.

Fantastic standard so far, Djokovic goes an early break up in set 2. More of this please!

Still fancy Djokovic to win this.

1 set each.

Four aces wow !

Breathtaking stuff. Fancy 1-3 Djokovic

Come on Federer !

5th set to come, magic stuff!

What a final ! Federer's six pack !

Sitting in the Aspire Lounge at Edinburgh Airport enjoying complimetary drinks and a fanastic game of tennis.

Happy days
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Djokovic wins the 5th set and in turn the championship, sport at the highest level you cannae beat it! Got to draw the line at the TdF though, sorry Stax! ;-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 06-07-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Saw most of this at work although it wasn't quite the same as sitting at home with a couple of beers!

Fantastic match, gutted for Federer as I really wanted him to win an 8th Wimbledon title. It will possibly be his last chance to win a Grand Slam but I suppose you never know.

Novak Djokovic is just an unbelievable athlete though.