hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Wimbledon

2014 Wimbledon

Getting in first this time!

The draw is made tomorrow for this year's Wimbledon and Andy Murray comes into the tournament as the defending champion.

The only other time he's started a Grand Slam as the defending champion was the US Open last year where he lost to Stanislas Wawrinka in the quarter finals.

As the number three seed at Wimbledon this year, he'll be hoping to do a bit better than that considering he can't meet Djokovic, Nadal or Federer until the semi finals.

It will be interesting to see how Rafael Nadal does this year after only winning one match in his previous two Wimbledons and Roger Federer will also be hoping to do better than his second round defeat last year.

Hope it's another great tournament. There's something special about the Wimbledon fortnight, it's one of my favourite times of the whole year so hopefully we'll be in for a lot of fantastic tennis with plenty of excitement and drama.

Roll on Monday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Murray to play David Goffin in round one on Monday.

Murray's route to defending his title, if it goes with seeding;

Round one - David Goffin
    Round two - Pablo Andujar
    Round three - Roberto Bautista Agut
    Round four - Fabio Fognini
    Quarter finals - David Ferrer
    Semi finals - Novak Djokovic
    Final - Rafael Nadal

I wouldn't be surprised if David Ferrer loses before the quarter finals and he ends up playing Grigor Dimitrov instead.

Order of play on Centre Court on day 1;

1pm start

Andy Murray v David Goffin
    Paula Kania v Li Na
    Novak Djokovic v Andrey Golubev

Other British interest tomorrow will be;

Dan Evans v Andrey Kuznetsov on about 2:30pm on Court Two.
    James Ward v Mikhail Youzhny on about 1pm on Court Three.
    Johanna Konta v Shuai Peng on at 11:30am on Court Twelve.
    Kyle Edmund v Andreas Haider-Maurer on about 2:30pm on Court Twelve.
    Daniel Cox v Jeremy Chardy on about 1pm on Court Eighteen.
    Naomi Broady v Timea Babos on about 2:30pm on Court Sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Order of play on Centre Court on day 1;

1pm start

Andy Murray v David Goffin
    Paula Kania v Li Na
    Novak Djokovic v Andrey Golubev

Other British interest tomorrow will be;

Dan Evans v Andrey Kuznetsov on about 2:30pm on Court Two.
    James Ward v Mikhail Youzhny on about 1pm on Court Three.
    Johanna Konta v Shuai Peng on at 11:30am on Court Twelve.
    Kyle Edmund v Andreas Haider-Maurer on about 2:30pm on Court Twelve.
    Daniel Cox v Jeremy Chardy on about 1pm on Court Eighteen.
    Naomi Broady v Timea Babos on about 2:30pm on Court Sixteen.
    Thanks. Good work!

Johanna Konta having a great tussle against Shuai Peng at the moment.

Konta is serving at 4-5 in the first set and this game alone has lasted around 15 minutes!

Peng takes the opener 6-4.

Andy Murray had a straightforward victory over David Goffin, winning 6-1 6-4 7-5.

Murray will now play Blaz Rola in round two on Wednesday.

It wasn't such a happy day for most of the other Brits in action on day one though.

Naomi Broady was the only other British success as she defeated Timea Babos in three sets and she will now play either Caroline Wozniacki or Shahar Peer.

However Johanna Konta lost in three sets to Shuai Peng.

James Ward, Dan Cox, Dan Evans and Kyle Edmund all lost in the opening round.

On day two, Rafael Nadal gets his tournament underway and he plays second on Centre Court.

Roger Federer also starts tomorrow and he will be on Court One after Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Jurgen Melzer finish their match from last night.

British players in action tomorrow are;

Samantha Murray v Maria Sharapova on Court One at around 3:30pm.
    Heather Watson v Ajla Tomljanovic on Court Three at around 1:30pm.
    Daniel Smethurst v John Isner on Court Three at around 2:30pm.
    Tara Moore v Vera Zvonareva on not before 5pm.

No-one else watching this year?

There was a win today for Heather Watson who is safely into round two but Daniel Smethurst and Samantha Murray were both hammered.

Tara Moore will return tomorrow to finish off her match against Vera Zvonareva and it is currently one set all.

Andy Murray will play his second round match tomorrow against Blaz Rola at 1pm on Court One.

Novak Djokovic plays his match against Radek Stepanek at around 4:30pm on Centre Court.

I am getting that Murray mania again. He is a hard man to follow. His first serve is so unreliable.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Watched Nadal today took a bit time to get going, loved when his opponent let out a Rick Flair Woooooooooo after winning a point

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Watched Nadal today took a bit time to get going, loved when his opponent let out a Rick Flair Woooooooooo after winning a point
    Watched his match whenever I could on the TV at work.

When I noticed Klizan had taken the first set, I did think that he may have been heading for another early exit at Wimbledon but I'm glad that he's through.

I hope he can get all the way through and play Murray in the final and for Murray to win!

brilliant stuff from Murray today. Marched through in quick time with no wasted energy.

I know his opponent wasn't great but you can only beat what is in front of you and Murray done that with a swagger.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    brilliant stuff from Murray today. Marched through in quick time with no wasted energy.

I know his opponent wasn't great but you can only beat what is in front of you and Murray done that with a swagger.
    Didn't see it due to work but losing only two games is impressive at any level of tennis, let alone a best of five sets Grand Slam match.

He now plays Roberto Bautista Agut in the third round on Friday and whilst he is certainly a step up in class in comparison with Blaz Rola, Murray certainly shouldn't have any concerns against him.

The draw's also opening up nicely for him as well after David Ferrer, who he was seeded to play in the quarter finals, was put out in five sets after losing to Andrey Kuznetsov, despite being two sets to one up.

Interesting match on Centre Court tomorrow as Rafael Nadal plays Lukas Rosol almost two years to the day since Rosol pulled off one of the biggest shocks in tennis history by defeating Nadal in the second round of Wimbledon in 2012.

Will lightning strike twice?

Rosol is certainly a better player than he was two years ago, as he is now 52nd in the world after being 100th in the rankings in 2012. I think Nadal will have too much for him tomorrow though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Nadal Loses first set v Rosol 6-4......can this be a repeat of 2 years ago? I hope so as makes murrays life easier, however I think Djokovic is the one to beat, although he didnt have that easy a time against stepanik last night

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Nadal will win wimbers...fact, end of etc etc

* imo of course :)

I don't think so. In my opinion only too, perhaps one or two will concur though.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Nadal will win wimbers...fact, end of etc etc

* imo of course :)
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I don't think so. In my opinion only too, perhaps one or two will concur though.
    My money's on Djokovic this year.

I think Nadal will probably get to the final as he doesn't really face much opposition in his half of the draw, with the possible exception of Federer, but I don't see him beating Nadal over five sets.

PS-Murray's third on Centre Court tomorrow so should be on around 4:30pm.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 26-06-2014 at 11:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    So easy again for Andy

Another quick match for Murray tonight and safely into the last 16.

He now plays Kevin Anderson on Monday.

Novak Djokovic is also through to the second week after a straight sets victory over Gilles Simon, although he fell awkwardly and hurt himself.

Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are on Centre Court tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

Rafael Nadal loses the first set for the third match in a row in this year's Championships.

7-6 to Mikhail Kukushkin.

Not much happening elsewhere at the moment due to bad weather so the roof is closed on Centre Court.

Rafa levels things up by taking the second set 6-1.

Still no play elsewhere. It will be interesting to see if they decide to play tomorrow if they can't play much today.

As it stands, half of the men and women are still to play their 3rd round matches. Monday is traditionally the last 16 for both men and women and Tuesday is the women's quarter finals.

Could cause a bit of congestion.

Nadal takes the third set, also 6-1.

Kukushkin's pretty much given up now as Nadal's just broken at the start of the fourth set.

Rafael Nadal through to the last 16, beating Mikhail Kukushkin 6-7 6-1 6-1 6-1.

Major shock in the women's draw as Serena Williams goes out in the third round to Alize Cornet.

Ana Ivanovic looking well as per usual! Lisicki too. :-)

Murray on easy street.

Two sets up on Kevin Anderson right now.

Looking good for a quarter final place against either Grigor Dimitrov or Leonardo Mayer on Wednesday.

Murray wins 6-4 6-3 7-6.

Another straight sets victory and another quarter final place in a Grand Slam.

Come on, Andy.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    poor Maria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/28110180

i don't normally watch any tennis until the final anyway was Miss Sharapova one of them screamer types can't be bothered with the screamers/grunters (not at tennis anyway)

Just seen shot of the year from Nick Kyrgios out on Centre Court against Nadal.

40-0 down, he just decided to open his legs and play the ball between his legs.

Stunning!