hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 142 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Those who want independence can't even spell it...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    If we want BBC balancing reports from the England camp then we need to start qualifying for major tournaments!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with the gist, but dont agree about Scottish coverage. Scottish coverage of our own game is dreadful enouhg, without having them ruin the world cup too. Like it or not, BBC and ITV just do it better. Not because they are English, just because they are better. I stopped watching Sportscene a couple of years back because watching a presenter state the obvious, then having some semi-illiterate current player (who cant or wont say anything for fear of anonoying one of his mates), or even worse some absolute welt like Sandy Clark repeat what i just saw with my own eyes, was not what i considered good coverage.

Why does any of the coverage have to be so parochial? Why cant we appreciate it for what it is, without having to have a pathetic, tenuous Scottish link?

Ill get pleters for this, but i enjoy watching a tournament more when Scotland arent involved, in a funny sort of way.
    I wasn't suggesting a bagpipes and shortbread type of coverage but just more sort of punditry you and I could relate to. Kind of like how we would talk about games on here (minus the abuse ) but without bringing every comment back to how it affects England.

The BBC anf ITV have the coverage but we don't get the presenters we would normally have for a Scottish International and whilst many have gripes about individual presenters or pundits why oh why can't we have our own presenters on the International stage the same as when we have a Scotland international?

The simple answer is of course the casual acceptance that the English coverage IS the British coverage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    If we want BBC balancing reports from the England camp then we need to start qualifying for major tournaments!
    So if Scotland were the only home nation at a World Cup it would be the Scottish coverage broadcast to the rest of the UK for the duration of the World Cup. We both know that wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Cant believe people are actually going to vote no!

You should be ashamed to call yourself Scottish if you vote no.

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

Scotland is either a country or its not!
    Thanks for the lecture. Do you speak publicly?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    So if Scotland were the only home nation at a World Cup it would be the Scottish coverage broadcast to the rest of the UK for the duration of the World Cup. We both know that wouldn't happen.
    In the past, when Scotland was the only qualifier from the UK, yes, the coverage was very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    In the past, when Scotland was the only qualifier from the UK, yes, the coverage was very good.
    That wasn't the question. You only got Scottish coverage for Scotland games which I find patronising. The rest of the time it was the English coverage.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt92 View Post
    Those who want independence can't even spell it...

wow, so much ignorance in so few words, plank

First Team Breakthrough le bill's Avatar

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

DEARY DEARY ME
    so much for the "balanced" debate

You'll not find anyone more pro YES than me, but I don't mind The BBC going ott about England one bit...what else do folk expect ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by le bill View Post
    DEARY DEARY ME
    so much for the "balanced" debate
    Well its black and white for me.

We are or we aren't! Not both!

How many times will 1966 get mentioned on the BBC / ITV? At least John Motson has retired.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    How many times will 1966 get mentioned on the BBC / ITV? At least John Motson has retired.
    TBH, most of us won't notice. It will only be picked up on by those who care one way or another.

You should be ashamed to call yourself a democrat with a statement like that.

Utter p1sh

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar

Well said mate.

PS after independence you can still be proud to be British, the land mass will still be there called Britain.
    45 AND RISING

I'm just looking forward to it, enjoying the build up including the BBC last night. Just a competition I really enjoy regardless

I have friends and family who are voting no and as much as i don't understand there argument for remaining part of the united kingdom i would never bring there patriotism into account nor think there any less Scottish than myself for voting No. Arguments like this believe it or not damages the Yes camp we need to leave the negativity to the BT campaign and focus on the positives. statements like this will only put people off voting Yes

only my opinion off course.

That wasn't the question. You only got Scottish coverage for Scotland games which I find patronising. The rest of the time it was the English coverage.
    Oh well, you'll have to carry on considering yourself patronised.

Personally couldn't give a monkey's, I'll be turning on at kick-off time and pottering about at half-time so I'll hardly have time to watch and get myself all het-up.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    As in Scotland qualifying? As for the media would prefer chic young etc don't get broadcast out of Scotland.

Irrelevant anyway as BBC Scotland is not independent of BBC. Likewise stv and itv.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    And so it starts.

The fact that British TV channels spend 3 minutes talking about the history of the only British team who are at the World Cup is very irritating and offensive.

But only to a tiny percentage of the British population who should be ignored.

It's actually amusing to see people who have been nursing their wrath to keep it warm, exploding when the weight of the chip on their shoulder gets too heavy.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    To be fair............ there's much less flag waving and hysteria about how engerland will easily march to the advanced stages of the tournament.

For the first time I'm hearing certain sections of the english meeja rubbishing their own and predicting an early exit. That realisim is refreshing as well as surprising. You will always get certain eejits in the english press noising them up as world beaters........jeezo remember allys army in Argentina? But I think this time they know keenly that they are weaker than some....and will be lucky to get through.

Far cry from previous world cups.......................
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    And so it starts.

The fact that British TV channels spend 3 minutes talking about the history of the only British team who are at the World Cup is very irritating and offensive.

It's actually amusing to see people who have been nursing their wrath to keep it warm, exploding when the weight of the chip on their shoulder gets too heavy.
    10/10.

.. and gatherin' their brows like gatherin' storm.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar

Away and take a good hard look at yourself and consider an apology. That remark is both offensive and of particular offence to me as a SCOTSMAN first and foremost.

If you and your kind are what awaits me in an independent scotland - thats the biggest reason I've seen yet for a no vote. And moving out if its a yes.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

Yes!

I'm getting a wee bit excited. My bets are on and let the world cup begin!

Yes! Also the gentleman has a point, we either are a country or we are not. Unfortunately we are a country 'not' at the world cup.

My big money is on Argentina to win it, when I say big I mean £20.

God I wish we were there, I blame that yam for everything.

And so it starts.

It isn't the coverage of the team, no problem with that. Their intro piece was all about emphasising the English aspect of Charles Miller, no mention of his heritage and giving anything other than a very narrow line on his story. If they were truly a balanced British broadcaster then his Scottish roots would have been mentioned, if they were looking into his story they will know damn fine how highly thought off in Scotland it is that he introduced football to Brazil

Blog Entries
    And so it starts.

And so it starts right enough. 3 minutes, aye right. Give it a few days we'll know what Roy Hodgson has for breakfast, Wayne Rooney's chosen hair weaver, how good Englands training pitch is, how the locals are treating the squad and every conceivable English team formation Mark Lawrenson can think of whist he bemoaning how the heat in Brazil is ridiculous. Only if you tune in to watch Switzerland v Ecuador right enough.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The OP mentioned a 3 minute introduction.

Millions of people in the UK want to know all that stuff, much in the same way as we devour everything Hibs.

Do you really think they shouldn't provide it because a few folk up the road have a chip on their shoulder?

Or do you really think the BBC should spend millions to broadcast a Scotlandcentric show in competition to the UK version?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I love the way they have all these little tie-ins like hockey, rugby and the cricket at the moment and trying to get the moral up by belting out GSTQ all the time....saddos really

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    I love the way they have all these little tie-ins like hockey, rugby and the cricket at the moment and trying to get the moral up by belting out GSTQ all the time....saddos really
    What is sad about celebrating your national identity?