hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 142 1231151101 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar

Match of the Day World Cup

Do we really need a 3 minute introduction to tell us that England invented the beautiful game?

I'm annoyed, just watched it. Good old England, just think if if hadn't been for them we wouldn't be having a World Cup in Brazil!

So patronising it's unreal!!

Independance?? It's a YES fro me!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

The guy was born in Brazil to a Scottish dad as well

Don't bloody watch it then ffs

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This.

But it's the B B C!
    There should be balance in what they show. I'm no nationalist but they create such a dislike with their sports coverage

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    But it's the B B C!
    There should be balance in what they show. I'm no nationalist but they create such a dislike with their sports coverage
    There should be but if you don't like it don't give them the satisfaction.

Vote with your feet (or telly remote as it is)

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    National broadcaster gets behind national team shocker

But it's the B B C!
    U have river city

Left by mutual consent!
    Ltyf!

Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    There should be but if you don't like it don't give them the satisfaction.

Vote with your feet (or telly remote as it is)
    You turn on a channel of the national broadcaster and you expect balanced reporting, if I knew in advance they would neglect any reference to Charles Miller's heritage then maybe I would have not tuned in. They do themselves no favours whatsoever, if I remember right Alan Hansen was paid more pa than they pay for Scottish football. And Gus saying we get River City needs to grow up fair enough it's a laugh but this is a (small) og in Independence argument which as I said I'm in the balance but more likely to vote No atm then you get this shan tv.
    Possible over reaction but I'll not be alone

But it's the B B C!
    Why, they are the only British team that qualified and their population outstrips any other British nation by tens of millions, why would you change your coverage to pacify 10% of the population when 90% will be perfectly happy the way it is. If we want balance in World Cup coverage then we should ****ing well qualify.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm watching it and I'm still firmly in the No camp

I actually think this is the least biased and most low key they have ever entered a tournament in media terms .

C'mon Italy , Uraguay and Costa Rica .

First Team Regular
    What happened to Shearer. Looks like is bathed in a vat of Tango!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
    It's creosote, he gave the fence a quick respray before setting off for Brazil

You turn on a channel of the national broadcaster and you expect balanced reporting, if I knew in advance they would neglect any reference to Charles Miller's heritage then maybe I would have not tuned in. They do themselves no favours whatsoever, if I remember right Alan Hansen was paid more pa than they pay for Scottish football. And Gus saying we get River City needs to grow up fair enough it's a laugh but this is a (small) og in Independence argument which as I said I'm in the balance but more likely to vote No atm then you get this shan tv.
    Possible over reaction but I'll not be alone
    Why is it an OG? Why would the Indy debate be considered when they are meant to be on the fence. The only people who bring up the Indy debate at every opportunity is the yes people. Squeaky bum time is it.

It appears that people don't want England to do well coz of 1966 and the media hype surrounding England every time a major tournament comes around.

If people know this then why watch the programmes or read the papers.

Do not let jealousy consume you.

Now go back to watching river city or reading the white paper ;-)

Big deal.

Let's turn our attention away from England from a minute and talk about Scotland's chances. They didn't qualify but let's talk about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
    Been taking tanning tips from Jimmy Calderwood!! ;-)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    Ltyf!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will be catching as many games on tv as I can but realise that even if the game is Greece v Ivory Coast I can expect a "report from the England camp" before the game, at half time and after the final whistle.

It is not a case of 'switching it off' as every British channel will be the same but I only tuned in to see Greece v Ivory Coast. It is annoying but not a surprise anymore as I realise that the 'British' tv is unsurprisingly set up to cater to the near 60 million or so English people in the UK. Consumer demand and all that.

Nothing to do with politics or nationalism but I have always hankered for Scottish tv coverage at these big tournaments, with discussions on teams from a Scottish perspective and Scottish studios. I would even be interested in the occasional 'report from the England camp' but maybe the day of the game and not EVERY bloody time you switch on.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I will be catching as many games on tv as I can but realise that even if the game is Greece v Ivory Coast I can expect a "report from the England camp" before the game, at half time and after the final whistle.

It is not a case of 'switching it off' as every British channel will be the same but I only tuned in to see Greece v Ivory Coast. It is annoying but not a surprise anymore as I realise that the 'British' tv is unsurprisingly set up to cater to the near 60 million or so English people in the UK. Consumer demand and all that.

Nothing to do with politics or nationalism but I have always hankered for Scottish tv coverage at these big tournaments, with discussions on teams from a Scottish perspective and Scottish studios. I would even be interested in the occasional 'report from the England camp' but maybe the day of the game and not EVERY bloody time you switch on.

In a nutshell Spikey boy.

Why is it an OG? Why would the Indy debate be considered when they are meant to be on the fence. The only people who bring up the Indy debate at every opportunity is the yes people. Squeaky bum time is it.

It appears that people don't want England to do well coz of 1966 and the media hype surrounding England every time a major tournament comes around.

If people know this then why watch the programmes or read the papers.

Do not let jealousy consume you.

Now go back to watching river city or reading the white paper ;-)
    I am in the No camp but when you switch on a programme expecting fair and reasonable discussion (and fully aware they will have full reporting from the England camp, no problem with that) but to put forward that an Englishman brought football to Brazil is their typical skewing of facts that is so annoying at these sporting events.
    I have no problem in them covering the England team

Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    Do we really need a 3 minute introduction to tell us that England invented the beautiful game?

I'm annoyed, just watched it. Good old England, just think if if hadn't been for them we wouldn't be having a World Cup in Brazil!

So patronising it's unreal!!

Independance?? It's a YES fro me!!
    Totally agree, turned it off and went to ma bed!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

Agree with the gist, but dont agree about Scottish coverage. Scottish coverage of our own game is dreadful enouhg, without having them ruin the world cup too. Like it or not, BBC and ITV just do it better. Not because they are English, just because they are better. I stopped watching Sportscene a couple of years back because watching a presenter state the obvious, then having some semi-illiterate current player (who cant or wont say anything for fear of anonoying one of his mates), or even worse some absolute welt like Sandy Clark repeat what i just saw with my own eyes, was not what i considered good coverage.

Why does any of the coverage have to be so parochial? Why cant we appreciate it for what it is, without having to have a pathetic, tenuous Scottish link?

Ill get pleters for this, but i enjoy watching a tournament more when Scotland arent involved, in a funny sort of way.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MehHFC View Post
    Let's turn our attention away from England from a minute and talk about Scotland's chances. They didn't qualify but let's talk about them.
    Just checked with the bookies, and you can get much better odds on Scotland winning it, and both teams have the same chance.

Cant believe people are actually going to vote no!

You should be ashamed to call yourself Scottish if you vote no.

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

Scotland is either a country or its not!

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    That sir, is total rubbish!

I am proud to be Scottish and proud to be British.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Cant believe people are actually going to vote no!

If its a no vote then we are nothing more than a pretend country and in all honesty Scotland and Wales should just then be abolished so to speak and we should just all call ourselves England and have one everything instead of all this pissing about with separate sports teams etc and pretend devolved governments.

Scotland is either a country or its not!

Theres a nice big thread in The Holy Ground for all the independance stuff.