hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Goc

Id take deek back as well. .. an unfit pairing of riordan and oconnor would score more goals than any of the other dud strikers we have had in recent times

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough 4 Front Teeth's Avatar
    How can anyone feel sorry for him? It would take him 2 months of dieting and hard training, he wouldn't even need to practice football. He would march into most Scottish clubs and get a pay as you play contract for next season and half way through the season he would get a decent offer of a contract. He just can't be bothered. Simple but very sad and frustrating.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Well, he was thrown a lifeline at Morton to try and get some sort of career back on the go. Even as a first division striker he would've commanded a decent enough wage.

What a waste. Moving to Russia was where he went wrong IMO. He should've signed another contract with Hibs and after another season or so he would've gotten a big money move down south.

Him and Riordan have both had chances to get things back on track and both of them have blown them because of pure laziness.

Hate to say it but I wouldn't want the club to have anything to do with them anymore ie training facilities etc

Promising Youngster
    I know I will get the LTYF, but if he was a Jambo or Yam would he get the same expressions of sympathy or support. To me he is a young man who was given all the opportunities that all us old farts playing 22 a side in the West Meadows would have given half our lives to play for the team of our dreams for nothing. He had that and more and has frittered it all away, sorry people but no sympathy or tears from me. You made your bed now lie in it.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Money can change people and not always for the better.

GOCs case is a stark reminder that money can't buy you genuine happiness. It's easy to stick the boot in and have a good go when you've never had a pot to piss in your whole life, as you delude yourself into believing that your life would somehow be perfect if you just had more money. Which it wouldn't.

GOC had too much money to know what to do with and thats a dangerous trap that anybody is capable of falling into. It results in stupid levels of spending. Even on things that are damaging such as street drugs and high levels of alcohol.

It then becomes addictive. Once the money has ran out, he can't stop the high levels of spending. He has to keep the buzz going, so he continues to spend money that he doesn't have. Which can only result in massive levels of debt.

I don't have sympathy for GOC, but I wouldn't be so quick to stick the boot in either. He has fallen into a trap that anybody is capable of falling into.

And before someone says "i wouldn't have fallen into that trap". Get rich first, then tell me that you wouldn't.

I agree it is a sad case. Whilst he is responsible for his own life perhaps his agent or adviser could have provided better information. Advising him to appoint a proper financial adviser would be a start BUT people also need to take that advice.

Also be nice to people on the way up because you will also meet them on the way down cones into play.

I met Garry at a few supporter functions and he was always a nice big lad. As my maw would say now you have made your bed you have to lay in it.

Such a terrible waste of talent, could have had a really successfull football career I he had just stayed away from all the nonsense. Got too rich too young and clearly he is not right enough to have grown wiser as he aged. Sad waste but all because of HIS choices so don't have much sympathy I'm afraid. HE threw it all away.