hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hibs for sale!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's Rod Stewart.

We will be able to re-cycle all the " get Rod out" merchandise. I am sold on the idea already.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    We will be able to re-cycle all the " get Rod out" merchandise. I am sold on the idea already.
    Especially if all the years of chasing young blonde females was in fact just a front for his true fondness of the same sex...

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Nice to see you, Mr. Romanov. How you keeping these days?
    Need for this comment?

As I stated in another comment. Someone with millions upon millions, if not billions, who has a sensible source of income outside of football can make it work. Romanov did not have this.

If you think investing millions in Scottish football (even 30 million a year which would guarantee a decent challenge at the top end) and a chance of guaranteed champions league is stupid and deserved of your remark then I'd be interested to find out what you think investing billions (reported 930 million spent on becoming premier league contenders alone, plus the rest) and still being unable to win the champions league is? For that kind of money, I'd be hoping for guaranteed winners of the domestic league and cups - which they aren't.

You may joke but Hearts finished 2nd one year (whilst we were again, lower than them), they won cups and are now, even after everything (as long as they get out of administration) looking in better shape for next season. So, whilst Romanov, or anyone similar is not welcome at ER, remarks like yours shows that we'd rather float along with indifference (complaining) than the possibility to get an investor. May sound stupid but an investor, or group of investors, may be interested in Hibs. Wouldn't rule it out.

Guess we can hound Petrie out and say no to new investors because we know it all as fans, eh? Petrie is rightfully being hounded out but this high-horse, "we're above that" attitude is not helping us anymore. Bizarre really if you think about it, as fans of the club we're more likely than anyone to warn investors away - I'm not personally but looks like many are...Should be the other way around btw - we should be building the club up, not demolishing it or saying "Mr Romanov" to everything suggested.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Need for this comment?

As I stated in another comment. Someone with millions upon millions, if not billions, who has a sensible source of income outside of football can make it work. Romanov did not have this.

If you think investing millions in Scottish football (even 30 million a year which would guarantee a decent challenge at the top end) and a chance of guaranteed champions league is stupid and deserved of your remark then I'd be interested to find out what you think investing billions (reported 930 million spent on becoming premier league contenders alone, plus the rest) and still being unable to win the champions league is? For that kind of money, I'd be hoping for guaranteed winners of the domestic league and cups - which they aren't.

You may joke but Hearts finished 2nd one year (whilst we were again, lower than them), they won cups and are now, even after everything (as long as they get out of administration) looking in better shape for next season. So, whilst Romanov, or anyone similar is not welcome at ER, remarks like yours shows that we'd rather float along with indifference (complaining) than the possibility to get an investor. May sound stupid but an investor, or group of investors, may be interested in Hibs. Wouldn't rule it out.

Guess we can hound Petrie out and say no to new investors because we know it all as fans, eh? Petrie is rightfully being hounded out but this high-horse, "we're above that" attitude is not helping us anymore. Bizarre really if you think about it, as fans of the club we're more likely than anyone to warn investors away - I'm not personally but looks like many are...Should be the other way around btw - we should be building the club up, not demolishing it or saying "Mr Romanov" to everything suggested.
    Apologies for the cynicism, but.....

The model you suggested is exactly what Romanov tried to do. To market Hearts, and his bank, round Europe by use of CL television exposure. It failed.

One of the reasons it failed, is that Hearts and Hibs just don't have the market in Scotland that the Old Firm have. Even if we were to sell out ER every week, Ibrox and Parkhead would have double that attendance. That's the reality of Scottish football, which I don't see changing in the medium term.

The word "investor" is bandied about often, when really what clubs want is "a fan with cash". A Jack Walker or the likes, who don't care much what happens to their cash. Unfortunately, even that is no guarantee of success, however you define it. For every Jack Walker, there are a dozen Peter Ridsdales or Vladimir Romanovs.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 01-06-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Heard the same rumour I've been told that ex chairman Malcolm McDonald ( sorry if I got the name wrong) is the man behind the Americans bid which is meant to be announced this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mackie77 View Post
    Heard the same rumour I've been told that ex chairman Malcolm McDonald ( sorry if I got the name wrong) is the man behind the Americans bid which is meant to be announced this week.
    McPherson?

Yes McPherson that's right :-)

No names but the person who told me is high up in the investment side of RBS, I don't normally post on here unless I'm told from a good source, aye big deal made a mistake about his last name

No names but the person who told me is high up in the investment side of RBS, I don't normally post on here unless I'm told from a good source,

Why not, what have you got to hide?

Also, why would he tell you?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Apologies for the cynicism, but.....

The model you suggested is exactly what Romanov tried to do. To market Hearts, and his bank, round Europe by use of CL television exposure. It failed.

One of the reasons it failed, is that Hearts and Hibs just don't have the market in Scotland that the Old Firm. Even if we were to sell out ER every week, Ibrox and Parkhead would have double that attendance. That's the reality of Scottish football, which I don't see changing in the medium term.

The word "investor" is bandied about often, when really what clubs want is "a fan with cash". A Jack Walker or the likes, who don't care much what happens to their cash. Unfortunately, even that is no guarantee of success, however you define it. For every Jack Walker, there are a dozen Peter Ridsdales or Vladimir Romanovs.
    Sorry but Romanov failed because all of his businesses were failing. Including the bank you mentioned. As I stated once more, you don't need a fan, what you need is someone who doesn't care about their billions of cash and would like to play Footie Manager in real life. Abramovich isn't a fan - he is minted and fancies being god. Romanov failed because his businesses were in the dumps, including Hearts. He had no money left to pump in (hence not a billionaire with money revenue). Peter Ridsdale is/was a horrible, evil chairman/investor, granted.

Only reality in Scottish Football is unless Celtic and Rangers (who could possibly die again) leave, there will never be a challenger unless someone, or some group fancy investing in a club. Attendances change once success is achieved. Are you telling me if Hibs won the league we wouldn't be close to selling out Ibrox or Parkhead? How many Hibs fans do you think there are - dormant as well? How many Celtic fans do you think are actually glory hunting Hibs fans? Be interesting to find out. May I remind you, Man City have upped the stadium after success, not before. They now have approval to increase the stadium to 62,000. Would 62,000 Man City fans turn up if they were still a mid-table team? No.

Cause it's a friend of mine, it's up to you if believe me or not we'll find out soon enough

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    OK - I can see that I am going to get rumbled with all of this ITK stuff. It's me and will be travelling back to Scotland from Kansas City on Thursday....
    Are you bringing Toto with you Dorothy?

Sorry but Romanov failed because all of his businesses were failing. Including the bank you mentioned. As I stated once more, you don't need a fan, what you need is someone who doesn't care about their billions of cash and would like to play Footie Manager in real life. Abramovich isn't a fan - he is minted and fancies being god. Romanov failed because his businesses were in the dumps, including Hearts. He had no money left to pump in (hence not a billionaire with money revenue). Peter Ridsdale is/was a horrible, evil chairman/investor, granted.

Only reality in Scottish Football is unless Celtic and Rangers (who could possibly die again) leave, there will never be a challenger unless someone, or some group fancy investing in a club. Attendances change once success is achieved. Are you telling me if Hibs won the league we wouldn't be close to selling out Ibrox or Parkhead? How many Hibs fans do you think there are - dormant as well? How many Celtic fans do you think are actually glory hunting Hibs fans? Be interesting to find out. May I remind you, Man City have upped the stadium after success, not before. They now have approval to increase the stadium to 62,000. Would 62,000 Man City fans turn up if they were still a mid-table team? No.

Would anyone buying into a Scottish Football Team be able to achieve the level of success of Chelsea or Man City?

No.

Would the same theoretical billionaire get the same ego boost due to world wide interest in the league in which they played?

No.

Additional evidence to back up my point of view is the fact that these people have only ever invested in big leagues. Diddy leagues like Scotland have only ever received interest from 2nd rate nobodies like Romanov.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Cause it's a friend of mine, it's up to you if believe me or not we'll find out soon enough
    Did they say if it was going to be start or end of the week?

I'm skeptical because it's hardly good that you rarely post and come out with this - however, I'll be happy to be proven wrong

Where are these people?

Why would they put money into Hibs and not other teams?

A decent invester in a Scottish football team like us would bring a breathe of fresh air to Scottish football.If he/she could buy us a squad on more cash than the old firm, we'd win the league within three years.we'd have to fill in the corners of the ground to get it upto around 25'000.The place would be bouncing.But it's no gonna happen.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Would anyone buying into a Scottish Football Team be able to achieve the level of success of Chelsea or Man City?

No.

Would the same theoretical billionaire get the same ego boost due to world wide interest in the league in which they played?

No.

Additional evidence to back up my point of view is the fact that these people have only ever invested in big leagues. Diddy leagues like Scotland have only ever received interest from 2nd rate nobodies like Romanov.
    No. Not likely. How did Athletico almost win the Champions League though? They've not spent as much as Chelsea or Man City...
    Money doesn't guarantee success. Right investment structure with some fan ownership as well as good players, good team and good management can give you a damn good shot. Rangers and Celtic almost won the Europa League (UEFA Cup) recently after all. Larsson was Celtic's best player and he only cost 400k. Went on to win the champions league for Barca by coming on as a sub. We'd never ever win the Champions League but think about it proportionally, can they achieve equivalent success in Scottish football? Yes. Also, are you telling me if Hibs won the treble and got through a few rounds of the champions league that wouldn't be a bigger success than what Man City have done?

Celtic only do so well, not due to attendances (they've been horrendously low for 2 years now) but because they have Dermot Desmond and Peter Lawwell. I do not know the combined wealth there, and there is more to add to those 2 gentleman as well. Rangers are doing so bad because they don't have these individuals with vast amounts of money and even though they are still getting decent crowds they are hemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate.

Would they get the same ego boost? Not sure. Have to ask them. Maybe it is Rockstar North and the Leith lads want to invest. Maybe it is a person who has origins in Leith and would love to see the local team succeed. Who knows. We cannot presume to know how someone would feel should Hibs win something. We, as fans, have rarely felt it so we don't know what it'd feel like.

No yam or attention seeker here mate that's why I don't post very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    OK, put me down as a 'not'.

You're either another attention seeker or a Yam attempting (yet another) pathetic wind-up.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Where are these people?
    I don't know. What kind of question is that anyway?

Why would they put money into Hibs and not other teams?
    That can be easily reversed to "Why would they put money into other teams and not Hibs?".

As a Hibs fan you aren't really building the name up are you?

I'm skeptical as much as anyone but why drag the name through the mud - a Hearts fan would say "Why would they put money into Hibs?" and laugh. You've done the exact same, I'm just hoping you didn't laugh. We're Hibs fans. If someone wants to invest properly into Hibs and create some sort of fan ownership scheme to assist and provide stability. So be it. If they are sensible, if they are a consortium with vasts amounts of cash and are open with their plans then I welcome it. Unlikely to happen but hey, I'd rather live in hope than live in despair.

It's worth taking a look at my local club -a potential member of the richest league in the world.

The Russian's been and gone.
    There's an American in, no there's not, but there is an another American in now.
    Or is there?
    There's definitely a Saudi in.
    An Israeli is going to buy the club for a quid.
    But he's Jewish - there goes the Saudi.
    And the bacon rolls.
    Maybe Madejski (pronounced Ma Day Ski - the 'j' is silent) will stay
    No, he's owned the club for 24 years and he's been trying to sell it for 24 years. He's also skint.
    But he insists on keeping his name on the stadium - there goes another sale.

Meanwhile Reading FC look like going the way of the yam and Caversham Green realises how much he hates football politics despite loving the game itself.

(sorry, stream of conciousness fuelled by a very decent bottle of merlot.)

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Cannae see him making an Atlantic Crossing to buy Hibs.
    Every Picture Tells A Story would be interesting .

Cause you post on here everyday or every other day makes you a hibs fan don't think so. Loads of people called me a yam when I posted about Ian Murray signing the second time. I never miss a game home or away but I don't have to justify myself on here

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    mackie77, start or end of the week before announcement regarding this? You told anything of that?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    "Wee are sailing, down the river"

Quote Originally Posted by HibbySpurs View Post
    Are you bringing Toto with you Dorothy?
    Naw, and I can't find my ferkin red shoes either....

But I'm still coming back on Thursday for a couple of weeks....

No idea of what day, I got told they've been trying to put this together for the last 6 months or so

Just a simple mistake.

Turns out it was a merkin investor who thought he could triple production throughput.
    The deal fell through when he found Rowan Vine was no longer on the books.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    No idea of what day, I got told they've been trying to put this together for the last 6 months or so
    Thanks for the reply. Still don't know whether to believe or not. As is, with any rumour, to be honest but I hope something is on the cards.

Not saying I believe his story, but I doubt the guy's a yam. Why would a yam post something that would give hibs supporters optimism? If he claimed Wallace Mercer's son was trying to buy hibs then yes, possible yam, but I just don't see it in this instance.