hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Nevin

First Team Breakthrough

Pat Nevin

His pain at half time of tonight's Scotland game when they showed Sunday and the dignity he showed in his comments I think really demonstrated how much the club means to him. Combined with his knowledge of the game I see him as perfect director of football candidate. Must have common links with LeeAnn from the Motherwell experience?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Pat Nevin. Sorry using phone to type this

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Mo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His pain at half time of tonight's Scotland game when they showed Sunday and the dignity he showed in his comments I think really demonstrated how much the club means to him. Combined with his knowledge of the game I see him as perfect director of football candidate. Must have common links with LeeAnn from the Motherwell experience?
    Interesting shout. Good contacts. Good knowledge. Would have learned from his time at Motherwell

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Mo View Post
    Completely agree Mo...been saying this for ages but would he make the move?

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.

Well, he was right!

EDIT: on phone, meant to quote above!

Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.
    I think Pat should have kept his job and many who wanted Fenlon out now realise it would have been better if he`d been able to stay till the end of his contract at least . Also how many TV pundits or people who do hospitality etc at clubs can really say what they think to the press ? Not sure if Nevin would want to be a D of F but am sure he could be of some use at club in an advisory role .

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well, he was right!

EDIT: on phone, meant to quote above!
    I disagree there. While we would have likely still been an SPL team, the football was dreadful and we were going nowhere. The subsequent appointment of Butcher was where the real mistake was made IMO (as well as not sacking Fenlon sooner).

Edit - I'll reply to anything tomorrow, absolutely knackered atm!
    Last edited by R'Albin; 28-05-2014 at 10:47 PM.

I just don't see it I'm afraid.

It's a no from me.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    [QUOTE=R'Albin;4037436]I like Pat and think he's a good pundit but this is the guy who was saying that Pat Fenlon should have kept his job.[/

If fenlon had kept his job we would not have been relegated.

Just out of interest, other than being a Hibs fan, what credentials does Pat Nevin have to take on a director of football role?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Just out of interest, other than being a Hibs fan, what credentials does Pat Nevin have to take on a director of football role?
    I'd say his extensive experience and knowledge of the game, as well as a good footballing philosophy make him a good candidate.

We need someone to install a long lasting legacy that future managers must adhere to if they want to manage Hibs. Passing game, played on the ground. Call it the Famous 5 Principle, give it 5 main criteria and write on the ****ing walls at ER & east mains.

I like him, never understood why he gets such a hard time for his punditry. Wealth of experience from his playing days, not sure how qualified he would be for a director of football role though.

Not the worst shout I've ever heard, I would be open-minded.

To be honest, we really shouldn't have to employ a guy to tell everyone how important it is to play good football.

You'd hope anyway.

Doubt if PN would sacrifice his present commitments, which are probably better paid and more secure than what Hibs could offer, even if Petrie were to have departed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fenlon apparently left because the players weren't listening to him and not because we wanted him out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    Fenlon apparently left because the players weren't listening to him and not because we wanted him out.
    And that is why 14 have been ousted, I'm certain TB has had much the same problem ..

Going behind the back of JC still lingers IMO, Until now .

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    To be honest, we really shouldn't have to employ a guy to tell everyone how important it is to play good football.

You'd hope anyway.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

If fenlon had kept his job we would not have been relegated.
    I don't think we'd have been a million miles away from it though.

Left by mutual consent!
    A baws hair would have done me right now.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Did he not have that roll at Motherwell ? That didn't end well but still suggests he has credentials for the job other than being a fan
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by nribs View Post
    Likewise. All I'm saying is that there was no sign of things getting any better under Fenlon. The side's confidence was absolutely destroyed and it was clear that we were moving backwards with him in charge. Getting rid of him was completely necessary, however the man that we replaced him with has sadly also managed to balls it up big time.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    There really isn't much basis for thinking that - in 15 games, Fenlon gained 43% of our overall points, and 50% of our wins.

He actually has a University degree. Like Alan Gordon, "his brains are in his head..."

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    Did he not have that roll at Motherwell ? That didn't end well but still suggests he has credentials for the job other than being a fan
    As alluded to in several posts, the Motherwell debacle was not of his doing, goings on behind the scenes which he was not privvy to.

Even if we hadn't been relegated, then nothing would have changed. We would have continued to bumble around in the bottom 6, playing eyebleeding football, underperforming, driving away the fans through slow torture. Four consecutive finishes in the bottom six don't lie. Eventually we would have been relegated anyway.

There is a boil at the heart of our club that needs to be lanced before we can get back to where HFC should be, and being relegated seems to have finally catalysed the support into demanding action and refusing to take no for an answer.

Long-term, being relegated may prove to be a blessing in disguise. It will take us a long time to put right what has gone wrong over the last seven years, so the sooner we start the better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailrod View Post
    Even if we hadn't been relegated, then nothing would have changed. We would have continued to bumble around in the bottom 6, playing eyebleeding football, underperforming, driving away the fans through slow torture. Four consecutive finishes in the bottom six don't lie. Eventually we would have been relegated anyway.

There is a boil at the heart of our club that needs to be lanced before we can get back to where HFC should be, and being relegated seems to have finally catalysed the support into demanding action and refusing to take no for an answer.

Long-term, being relegated may prove to be a blessing in disguise. It will take us a long time to put right what has gone wrong over the last seven years, so the sooner we start the better.
    Who knows what would have happened we escape relegation Fenlon goes anyway and we pick up a really good manager. Who knows not me that's for sure.

Who knows what would have happened we escape relegation Fenlon goes anyway and we pick up a really good manager. Who knows not me that's for sure.
    Er... we did that. He was so good that we spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to extricate him from his previous club. And we ended up getting relegated.

The seven-year problem at Hibs isn't this manager or that manager, or this player or that player. We're a very badly run organisation, in every area, from top to bottom. Go and read the "A View From Inside" thread, if you need convincing.

First Team Breakthrough
    Er... we did that. He was so good that we spent hundreds of thousands of pounds to extricate him from his previous club. And we ended up getting relegated.

The seven-year problem at Hibs isn't this manager or that manager, or this player or that player. We're a very badly run organisation, in every area, from top to bottom. Go and read the "A View From Inside" thread, if you need convincing.
    I agree we're a very badly run organisation, but Butcher is a horrendous Manager. His highest ever win ratio was at ICT, but he had to get them relegated and rack up 21 of his wins in the First Division to achieve that. His win ratio at SPL/SPFL level over something like 8 cumulative years is 30% and he's regularly managed to lead teams to a finish in the relegation places (Motherwell, ICT & now Hibs). Unbelievably, his career outside Scottish football is even worse. He has ZERO track record of nurturing promising young players from within a club's youth system and relies on bringing in already developed players from elsewhere. How the ****** Petrie identified and headhunted him as a good match for Hibernian Football Club is beyond me and is yet one more reason for Petrie to be removed immediately.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    He actually has a University degree. Like Alan Gordon, "his brains are in his head..."
    So does Maurice Malpas interestingly enough. BSc in Electrical Engineering.