hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Blackwash

Blackwash

Just caught the tail end of a 5live show reliving the great West Indies team of 1984 and the black wash of England. Hard to believe that it was 30 years ago!

Watching that series back in that summer on BBC was what gave me the cricketing bug. World class players at their peak and it truly was (although I never knew it at the time) a stroke of lunk to be able to see, albeit on TV, a never to be seen again cricketing machine at work.

I think it's going up as a podcast, so look out for it and listen in. Tony Cozier, Michael Holding, Graeme Fowler, Alan Lamb and Chris Broad were some of the guests.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just caught the tail end of a 5live show reliving the great West Indies team of 1984 and the black wash of England. Hard to believe that it was 30 years ago!

Watching that series back in that summer on BBC was what gave me the cricketing bug. World class players at their peak and it truly was (although I never knew it at the time) a stroke of lunk to be able to see, albeit on TV, a never to be seen again cricketing machine at work.

I think it's going up as a podcast, so look out for it and listen in. Tony Cozier, Michael Holding, Graeme Fowler, Alan Lamb and Chris Broad were some of the guests.
    Good post. My dad and I used to go to the cricket (and football) when on holiday in London in the 60s. The West Indies team at that time was something to behold too. Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths were the quicks and Lance Gibbs the spinner. Kanhai was the century maker. They won the 1966 series in UK 3-1 as I recall.

The star was Garfield Sobers, the captain, and still the most elegant player I have ever seen, both bowling and batting. Great August days.

Cricket now doesn't grab me somehow.