hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The big worry

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar

The big worry

We're back to hoping a bunch of loanees and players on the way out the door to perform in the biggest games for a long time. I'm not sure how you motivate players who look like they have been on the beach for the past 2 weeks and quite frankly probably resent working "overtime" over the next few weeks. Butcher and Malpas have their work cut out. I know it goes against the grain for Rod but the only way I can see us getting anything out of these impostors would be to offer sizeable win bonuses. I personally would find it galling to reward these clowns but I'm not sure how else we get something out of them.

Going down is a financial disaster and even though they don't deserve it Rod may be wise to make it worth their while. To that end even a season ticket holder I'd be happy to pay for my ticket to the play off games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough HibeeDave's Avatar
    I feel Rid will be of the opinion that there will be more revenue in the championship next season with bumper home crowds against hertz, gers and Dunfermline and more focus from Sky than the premiership will get

I've heard so many times that 'relegation would be a financial disaster', but ive not had this quantified or qualified by anyone tv deal relative peanuts anyway, attendances might hold up, bumper gates vs Hearts and Rangers...IF we manage to get out of the championship quickly it might not be a total disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard so many times that 'relegation would be a financial disaster', but ive not had this quantified or qualified by anyone tv deal relative peanuts anyway, attendances might hold up, bumper gates vs Hearts and Rangers...IF we manage to get out of the championship quickly it might not be a total disaster.
    IF my Auntie had baws she'd be my uncle...

Fairly sure rangers will boycott and We've seen recently that a derby isn't always a big draw.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Relegation is a total disaster. I really hope we don't get to the point where we're trying rationalize it in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Relegation is a total disaster. I really hope we don't get to the point where we're trying rationalize it in some way.
    Why would it be a "total disaster"?

The man has given reasons why he thinks it might not be...can you put some meat on the bones of your comment?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hib
    sbollah;4006199
    But the key is your word if .If we get out the championship .If we don't and hear7s and Sevco do and we don't ? The problem just now is T B is not filling anyone with any confidence he knows what he is doing Kept referring to log jams and if one log moves the others will .So maybe he is thinking of hiring a Lumberjack .
    His three loanees have really not done a lot so you are left wondering apart from the first few games when he picked up some points what has he done to make us believe he can take us forward ..
    His substitutions compared to Killie just kept giving them the edge and he seemed unable to get the team a change of shape that would allow us to do anything different than aimless punts forward ..
    But will be there for second leg of play off just in case

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

The man has given reasons why he thinks it might not be...can you put some meat on the bones of your comment?
    We'd lose out on most TV money and at least £400k in league prize money. Rangers games would compensate for the loss of Celtic games and 2 Hearts home games might make a large chunk of the lost prize money back. Overall, attendances will likely drop though.

However, football isn't just about money. We'll struggle to attract the players we need in the summer. There's also the fact that Hibs won't be playing in the top division in the country and we might not get back at the first opportunity.

I'd rather we didn't start dealing with the situation by pretending that relegation might actually not be that bad after all.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Totally agree. Give it a week or 2 and there will be plenty on here saying they're looking forward to games against hearts and rangers.

Disaster. If we go down we could be down for years and never fully recover. Like Dundee.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't understand how some are thinking relegation may not be the bad with the Yams being down there and whatever that Govan mob are called these days (they'll always be the Huns to me).
    As far as I'm concerned relegation could be a possible death knell for Hibs because it's unlikely, with the management set up we have, that we'd get back up any time soon. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Attracting players will be hard enough without being in the championship.
    Gers and jambos are there because of money issues,we would be there cause we are rubbish,if thats not a disaster then what is??

We struggle to break even as we are in the SPFL. Relegation and the good possibility of not returning at the 1st attempt would IMO be financial disaster.

Can we sell EM at all? much could we get?
    Sell it if possible and sign footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    We'd lose out on most TV money and at least £400k in league prize money. Rangers games would compensate for the loss of Celtic games and 2 Hearts home games might make a large chunk of the lost prize money back. Overall, attendances will likely drop though.

However, football isn't just about money. We'll struggle to attract the players we need in the summer. There's also the fact that Hibs won't be playing in the top division in the country and we might not get back at the first opportunity.

I'd rather we didn't start dealing with the situation by pretending that relegation might actually not be that bad after all.

We would definitely have to start promoting youth. I don't know if that would be a good or a bad thing right now.

Of course relegation wouldn't be good but talk of the club never recovering is OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Can't understand how some are thinking relegation may not be the bad with the Yams being down there and whatever that Govan mob are called these days (they'll always be the Huns to me).
    As far as I'm concerned relegation could be a possible death knell for Hibs because it's unlikely, with the management set up we have, that we'd get back up any time soon. Hopefully, it won't come to that.
    Even Petrie must realise that this will be no "Adventure". Last time, gates held up well, we had a fantastic team incl sauzee, Latas, Mcleish etc and won the league at a canter. It was a season to remember.

This time it would be an unmitigated disaster. IMO a lot of Hibs fans would abandon the club, gates would be down to 5-6000 and we'd have no chance of getting out of the league in 1 season. Petrie/Farmer would not invest a penny to try.

It's a Right Royal ****-up by Butcher and Petrie. They must be held to account for this, when its all over.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    We need to stay up and rebuild this squad from the inside out in the summer and next two seasons.

There is only one good outcome from going down into the Championship so I don't want it to happen.

The one good outcome would be us Champions, THE rangers second losing the playoff then entering admin2.

I'll be cheering for that if we go down, but only if.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    Can we sell EM at all? much could we get?
    Sell it if possible and sign footballers.
    Sell ER for flats ? Maybe we can ask Alex Salmon to speak to the SPFL and get us dispensation from relegation this season - a quick restructure ?

@hibs.net private member
    The prize money is substantially less. I imagine our average gate would hold up reasonably well if we were winning most weeks. I'm not sure we would though given the way we are finishing the season. Season ticket sales will be hit and if we find ourselves 3rd or 4th then the crowds could drop off badly. We saw at the last Derby that playing Hearts doesn't mean a full house. If we say that we will lose £0.5M on prizemoney then that would be 20K on the gate at £25 a head. Hearts and Rangers help if we are relegated but then you miss out on the Celtic games. You only win two games against Hearts net. If recent history is used that would mean an extra 8K tickets(Difference between recent Hearts and Partick T home games x2) At best I think we would be worse off by about £300K but that would be looking at a glass half full imo. If we don't win games in the lower division then it would be fortunes less.

Another imponderable is on whether we try to buy ourselves out of the league. It worked with McLeish but I doubt it would with The Rangers and Hearts in the same league.

Petrie/Butcher made a massive mistake not hitting the gamble button in the January window. Speculate to accumulate then and it may have been a net gain. Failure to invest may cost us millions and years on the scrapheap.

In summing up I think it will cost us fortunes as my guess will be we won't put a credible fight for promotion. Crowds will then plummet and won't have the foundation of a large season ticket base. As has been said by another poster I would offer a very good bonus to the players for staying up. It sticks in the craw but we have to start realising that sometimes you have to spend to make or protect income.
    SPL
    1: £2,405,514 (13.39%, -£314,487)
    2: £1,717,454 (9.56%, -£682,546)
    3: £1,460,555 (8.13%, -£59,446)
    4: £1,288,629 (7.17%, -£71,371)
    5: £1,202,757 (6.7%, -£77,243)
    6: £1,116,884 (6.22%, -£83,116)
    7: £1,056,701 (5.88%, -£63,299)
    8: £1,005,142 (5.6%, -£34,858)
    9: £987,895 (5.5%, +£27,895)
    10: £902,023 (5.02%, +£22,023)
    11: £816,150 (4.54%, +£16,150)
    12: £730,277 (4.07%, +£10,277)

First Division
    1: £386,248 (2.15%, +£318,248)
    2: £343,132 (1.91%, +£276,132)
    3: £300,016 (1.67%, +£234,016)
    4: £256,900 (1.43%, +£191,900)
    5: £240,731 (1.34%, +£176,731)
    6: £188,633 (1.05%, +£126,633)
    7: £172,464 (0.96%, +£111,464)
    8: £154,499 (0.86%, +£94,499)
    9: £138,331 (0.77%, +£79,331)
    10: £120,366 (0.67%, +£63,366)

If we are relegated sell East Mains, train in Holyrood Park and invest the money saved in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The prize money is substantially less. I imagine our average gate would hold up reasonably well if we were winning most weeks. I'm not sure we would though given the way we are finishing the season. Season ticket sales will be hit and if we find ourselves 3rd or 4th then the crowds could drop off badly. We saw at the last Derby that playing Hearts doesn't mean a full house. If we say that we will lose £0.5M on prizemoney then that would be 20K on the gate at £25 a head. Hearts and Rangers help if we are relegated but then you miss out on the Celtic games. You only win two games against Hearts net. If recent history is used that would mean an extra 8K tickets(Difference between recent Hearts and Partick T home games x2) At best I think we would be worse off by about £300K but that would be looking at a glass half full imo. If we don't win games in the lower division then it would be fortunes less.

Another imponderable is on whether we try to buy ourselves out of the league. It worked with McLeish but I doubt it would with The Rangers and Hearts in the same league.

Petrie/Butcher made a massive mistake not hitting the gamble button in the January window. Speculate to accumulate then and it may have been a net gain. Failure to invest may cost us millions and years on the scrapheap.

In summing up I think it will cost us fortunes as my guess will be we won't put a credible fight for promotion. Crowds will then plummet and won't have the foundation of a large season ticket base. As has been said by another poster I would offer a very good bonus to the players for staying up. It sticks in the craw but we have to start realising that sometimes you have to spend to make or protect income.
    SPL
    1: £2,405,514 (13.39%, -£314,487)
    2: £1,717,454 (9.56%, -£682,546)
    3: £1,460,555 (8.13%, -£59,446)
    4: £1,288,629 (7.17%, -£71,371)
    5: £1,202,757 (6.7%, -£77,243)
    6: £1,116,884 (6.22%, -£83,116)
    7: £1,056,701 (5.88%, -£63,299)
    8: £1,005,142 (5.6%, -£34,858)
    9: £987,895 (5.5%, +£27,895)
    10: £902,023 (5.02%, +£22,023)
    11: £816,150 (4.54%, +£16,150)
    12: £730,277 (4.07%, +£10,277)

First Division
    1: £386,248 (2.15%, +£318,248)
    2: £343,132 (1.91%, +£276,132)
    3: £300,016 (1.67%, +£234,016)
    4: £256,900 (1.43%, +£191,900)
    5: £240,731 (1.34%, +£176,731)
    6: £188,633 (1.05%, +£126,633)
    7: £172,464 (0.96%, +£111,464)
    8: £154,499 (0.86%, +£94,499)
    9: £138,331 (0.77%, +£79,331)
    10: £120,366 (0.67%, +£63,366)
    Well that at least gives some facts, cheers.

Im not saying it would be great to be relegated. I just want to how much it would cost, if we went straight back up again, because the figures to my knowledge have never been put out there.

I'm surprised to be getting mocked for posing the question

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    If we are relegated sell East Mains, train in Holyrood Park and invest the money saved in the team.
    Great long term plan there.

If we go down, we won't be getting straight back up again. With ST sales at such a low and a huge reduction in walk up fans, we won't have the cash available to replace what we already have.

It will be nothing like the last time we went down.

If we go down, we won't be getting straight back up again. With ST sales at such a low and a huge reduction in walk up fans, we won't have the cash available to replace what we already have.

It will be nothing like the last time we went down.
    This is just the kind of post that pisses me right off.
    1. You dont KNOW whether we'd stay down or not.
    2. You don't KNOW what the fall in attendances would be
    3. Hence you dont know what the income fall would be.

So unless you're willing to give some facts or evidence its just hot, negative air.

This is just the kind of post that pisses me right off.
    1. You dont KNOW whether we'd stay down or not.
    2. You don't KNOW what the fall in attendances would be
    3. Hence you dont know what the income fall would be.

So unless you're willing to give some facts or evidence its just hot, negative air.
    But you're talking about relegation as if we'll just come straight back up again. What facts do you base that on?

I KNOW that current ST sales are going very poorly. I also KNOW that because currently ST sales are going very poorly, we won't be able to replace much of what we have. Which is how I KNOW that walk up attendances will also be reduced.

Sometimes you only need to know what 1 fact is in order to work out the other facts. Simply by using logic.

But you're talking about relegation as if we'll just come straight back up again. What facts do you base that on?

I KNOW that current ST sales are going very poorly. I also KNOW that because currently ST sales are going very poorly, we won't be able to replace much of what we have. Which is how I KNOW that walk up attendances will also be reduced.

Sometimes you only need to know what 1 fact is in order to work out the other facts. Simply by using logic.
    Maybe people are waiting to see what division we will be in before they buy. I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Why don't you sell your house, live in a cardboard box and invest the money saved in fine dining?

Maybe people are waiting to see what division we will be in before they buy. I am.
    Indeed. But if we end up in the championship, why would people suddenly decide to buy them?

If the sales are poor now, how would they suddenly improve if we end up in the championship?