hibs.net Messageboard

Does anyone use CAD or other interior design programmes?

Can anyone help?

Looking for a basic CAD/design software. Does anyone on this board use these programmes, is a designer, or perhaps knows a designer?

PM would be appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I found this really useful for home development stuff, and easy to learn: http://www.sketchup.com/

Changed a bit since I used it last, there's a free version and a pro you have to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found this really useful for home development stuff, and easy to learn: http://www.sketchup.com/

Changed a bit since I used it last, there's a free version and a pro you have to pay for.
    Thanks Fergus. Will give it a look!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Sketchup is very simple to use once you have the hang of the basics. In addition there are loads of ready made objects that you can download for free (everything from teacups to sports stadiums). There are also a lot of very useful plug-ins that you can download once you're a bit more experienced. However it is a 3d tool and isn't that great for 2d plans.

There is a totally free cad programme called draftsight which is almost identical to Autocad and works very well (we very nearly switched to it at my work), however if you have no cad grounding at all you'll struggle.

I've also heard people talking about a freebie called draftit, which is apparently fine for basic plans and fairly user friendly for beginners, although I personally have never used it.

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Thanks Peevemor! Appreciate that help. I will have a play with sketch up over the weekend. the youtube tutorials make it look fairly easy...

Agree with Peevemor, Sketchup is good for 3D stuff but not brilliant for 2D. I've used Autocad in the past and have struggled a bit moving to some of the free programs out there because of less functionality and different keyboard shortcuts, but I guess if you are starting from scratch you'll find them ok. I use QCAD at home which is free but with some options limited after the first 15 minutes. A bit of a pain sometimes, but it just means shutting it down and starting it again if I need to use some of the functions.

I might give draftsight a spin seeing as I hadn't heard of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Agree with Peevemor, Sketchup is good for 3D stuff but not brilliant for 2D. I've used Autocad in the past and have struggled a bit moving to some of the free programs out there because of less functionality and different keyboard shortcuts, but I guess if you are starting from scratch you'll find them ok. I use QCAD at home which is free but with some options limited after the first 15 minutes. A bit of a pain sometimes, but it just means shutting it down and starting it again if I need to use some of the functions.

Draftsight is basically the same as autocad (except the price). Same interface and shortcuts too IIRC. Go for it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mon the Hibs View Post
    Can anyone help?

Looking for a basic CAD/design software. Does anyone on this board use these programmes, is a designer, or perhaps knows a designer?

PM would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    What do you want to design?

Ive used the ProEngineer Suite, its expensive but its the dogs bollox of CAD packages and ideal if you can get a business to pay for it!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    You can't go wrong with Autodesk products. AutoCAD for 2D & Revit for 3D.

I've been using AutoCAD for the last 12 years ad currently in the process of integrating Revit into my company.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post

I started using QCAD after being quite impressed with QGIS and I like it. We paid the 50 Euro fee to upgrade to the Pro version for our project and it was quite worth it IMO.

Sketchup is OK but I find it a little too fiddly if I'm being honest.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Promising Youngster TheUsualSuspect's Avatar
    Peevmor and Fergus seemed to give good advice as it really depends how on what you're using for as well as how much time and effort you want to spend it getting things up and running.

If you are just wanting to do concept designs and try out layouts and view I would recommend Sketch-up. It is quick and easy to use, very little in setting up and there are loads of online tutorials along with components online. However if you are wanting to start making tender or working drawings it's not the most effective. 'Form it' is Autodesks I-pad/ tablet creation but i've never used it, however you can use these forms easier in Revit.

if you are going to be producing drawings......then you'll need to sit down and decide what is that you are trying to achieve. If you doing a planning consent Revit could do it however it's like using a bazooka to swat a fly. where as a more conventional 2D package could work better AutoCAD, Microstation etc would be better for budget.

In saying everything 90% of our Interior team only use Sketch-up, it leads to fun later on when things go to site.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    If you're a student (who knows ) you can get some autocad software for free http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/autocad

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Draftsight is basically the same as autocad (except the price). Same interface and shortcuts too IIRC. Go for it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Wish that was the case. I find DraftSight frustrating as it doesn't have as good functionality and is missing some of the commands available to speed things up that you can find in CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Wish that was the case. I find DraftSight frustrating as it doesn't have as good functionality and is missing some of the commands available to speed things up that you can find in CAD.
    Like what (out of genuine interest)? We use Autocad LT and can't remember missing any commands.