hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't thinks so no mate but you never know
    Well the fans certainly want him to stay. Would be a great move all round if resolution was found and he stays here where he belongs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    All the comment about Thomson slowing play down is partly right but for the wrong reasons IMO.

It's not that he's trying to make sideways passes all the time, he is capable of incisive forward passes to feet or in front of others. Easily the most comfortable player in our squad with a ball at his feet. But with a huge 'but'........

The issue is (and I don't recall it being so pronounced first time round) that he is so, so left-footed. The way he shapes for the ball is to take it onto his left and the way he moves with it is to allow him to pass with his left. This makes it entirely predictable as to what's going to happen when he gets the ball. If he's in the middle and it comes to him from his left he invariably turns inside meaning he can only hit a firm pass sideways or behind (to the right). If he wants to knock it forward it's a dink with the outside of the foot so he's lacking pace on the ball.

Any opposition with any sense would ensure their centre mids are told to show him inside, every time (and also, close down the option of a pass from his right e.g. from Forster/Maybury). That way he's forced into the type of passing, or that aimless sideways dribble from left to right that leads people to suggest he slows things down and nullifies a good part of the talent he undoubtedly has.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    A player who doesn't give away possession in midfield, just what we need, it will make next season worth looking forward to along with the new players who will come in!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    If Terry Butcher has identified a better player to replace Kevin Thomson next season, then great.
    I'd be very surprised though however if this was the case, as players of his quality don't come cheap.

I was delighted when he returned home. He is my kind of footballer, and he is without doubt in my mind the best footballer we have.

I sincerely hope he stays..

Played his arse off in the first half. We looked worse when he went off as he was the one pulling the strings. Unless we have someone else lined up who is better then we need to keep him

Left by mutual consent!
    Simply put, we cannot afford to let KT leave. Where else are we going to find a player of his quality on our budget? If Butcher allows him to leave it will be the biggest mistake of his (what I think will be) his short career as hibs manager.

Left by mutual consent!
    Even if has slowed down a little due to wear & tear etc KT is still a quality midfield player. Younger players can be his legs and use Kevin to pick out passes like the great ball played through to Jason on sat. (just a shame he failed to control it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    All the comment about Thomson slowing play down is partly right but for the wrong reasons IMO.

It's not that he's trying to make sideways passes all the time, he is capable of incisive forward passes to feet or in front of others. Easily the most comfortable player in our squad with a ball at his feet. But with a huge 'but'........

The issue is (and I don't recall it being so pronounced first time round) that he is so, so left-footed. The way he shapes for the ball is to take it onto his left and the way he moves with it is to allow him to pass with his left. This makes it entirely predictable as to what's going to happen when he gets the ball. If he's in the middle and it comes to him from his left he invariably turns inside meaning he can only hit a firm pass sideways or behind (to the right). If he wants to knock it forward it's a dink with the outside of the foot so he's lacking pace on the ball.

Any opposition with any sense would ensure their centre mids are told to show him inside, every time (and also, close down the option of a pass from his right e.g. from Forster/Maybury). That way he's forced into the type of passing, or that aimless sideways dribble from left to right that leads people to suggest he slows things down and nullifies a good part of the talent he undoubtedly has.
    Far too much information there. I hope the Ross County and Killie guys don't read this thread.

If Kevin Thomson isn't given a new contract it will be the biggest mistake Butcher will make. Injuries? Maybe, Lacking pace? Probably, The most gifted passer of a ball at the club? Definitely and one the younger kids all say is there biggest icon at the club. He's helping them come on leaps and bounds.

The bit about Saturday I liked most was when he had the ball in our own box, and instead of looking to thump the ball out of play he turned and twisted and got away from there men until someone showed for the pass. Make no mistake about it, We looked a far far worse team when KT went off injured.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    If Terry Butcher has identified a better player to replace Kevin Thomson next season, then great.
    I'd be very surprised though however if this was the case, as players of his quality don't come cheap.
    Thats my feelings on the situation with Thomson. I do think we would be silly to let him go, but if Butcher has someone lined up who is a better player, or more suited to the way he wants us to play then Ive no problem with it.

@hibs.net private member
    Thommo is a class player. Leads by example and knows the value of retaining possession rather than just playing an aimless punt. We should get him signed up for the next couple of years ASAP.

@hibs.net private member
    I think its always really important to have a strong spine to the team.

Strong GK, CB, CM and ST..

Thomson is a strong midfielder and should be part of the spine of the team that we build on. A class apart.