hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Michael Nelson is a 34 year old journeyman who was an emergency signing last season. He's played most of this season because of injuries at one time or another to most of our back 4. He's limited as a player but he gives 100% in every game & has contributed some vital goals & assists this season, remember our late, late equaliser vs Thistle in December? He returned from a shocking injury early wearing a face mask to help our cause & yet someone thinks it's worthwhile to start a negative thread about a guy who will probably at most play one more game for Hibs. If we had a team of players with MN's commitment & courage we would not be in our current predicament.
    Factually spot on and and great summary.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Michael Nelson is a 34 year old journeyman who was an emergency signing last season. He's played most of this season because of injuries at one time or another to most of our back 4. He's limited as a player but he gives 100% in every game & has contributed some vital goals & assists this season, remember our late, late equaliser vs Thistle in December? He returned from a shocking injury early wearing a face mask to help our cause & yet someone thinks it's worthwhile to start a negative thread about a guy who will probably at most play one more game for Hibs. If we had a team of players with MN's commitment & courage we would not be in our current predicament.
    I wouldn't expect anything less, he does not do it for free, he still ***** though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    It's the first time in 50 years that I've actually stood up and shouted some not too nice words at a Hibs players. It was in the second half when Nelson had the ball close to our bye line and because he was so slow the Partick player almost won the ball off him.

Nelson couldn't win a battle with a bit toast.
    Folk in the East started going bananas and booing

He signed this season not last. It can hardly be described as an emergency signing when we gave him a 2 year deal.

It's a message board FFS, if people want to slate players here they are more than entitled, nobody is talking about booing the guy. He was terrible yesterday, has been several times and plenty people will be happy he misses the next game. If that's offensive, don't read the thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    He signed this season not last. It can hardly be described as an emergency signing when we gave him a 2 year deal.

It's a message board FFS, if people want to slate players here they are more than entitled, nobody is talking about booing the guy. He was terrible yesterday, has been several times and plenty people will be happy he misses the next game. If that's offensive, don't read the thread.
    You're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say any comments on the thread were offensive, I merely questioned the sense of starting yet another thread slagging a limited player who gives his all in every game. You'll also have to explain to me how I could find something offensive without reading the thread, that takes some doing! FWIW I thought from the headline the OP was praising Nelson for possibly preventing a goal scoring opportunity, it's ambiguous at best.

You're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say any comments on the thread were offensive, I merely questioned the sense of starting yet another thread slagging a limited player who gives his all in every game. You'll also have to explain to me how I could find something offensive without reading the thread, that takes some doing! FWIW I thought from the headline the OP was praising Nelson for possibly preventing a goal scoring opportunity, it's ambiguous at best.
    Just a bit tired of the "lets not be negative, let's pull together" type posts as if posting on a forum makes any difference.

And the view that Nelson was somehow blameless for his red card or took one for the team. He did his job very poorly and would probably admit as much himself.

Edit - which to be fair Brog, was not necessarily what you personally said, cheers.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    He wasn't even our worst centre half yesterday never mind ever.
    I disagree. McGivern wasn't great but Nelson was woeful.

Nelson has been dreadful for weeks and is a very lucky man to have been anywhere near the 1st team.

Hanlons injury has been a big loss for us but a win on Tuesday means we are safe and the rebuild starts then.

I cannot see Michael nelson being a 1st team player next year. I'd try and move him on in the summer

I'm not a huge fan of Nelson and tend to groan with the rest of the fans when he hoofs the ball up the park, or more often, into the stand. BUT to those who say he was hopeless yesterday, watch these highlights and take note of all the positive things he did

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/27277331
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Nelson and tend to groan with the rest of the fans when he hoofs the ball up the park, or more often, into the stand. BUT to those who say he was hopeless yesterday, watch these highlights and take note of all the positive things he did

None of those "positive things" was anything to do with defending or passing. Maybe we could bring him on each time we get a corner?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I'm NOT a Nelson fan (as previous posts can prove) however, I thought he played okay yesterday, bar a few wild hooooooooofs.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    None of those "positive things" was anything to do with defending or passing. Maybe we could bring him on each time we get a corner?
    But he's regarded as totally pish. The worst player ever seen etc. The point I was trying to make is that contrary to popular belief he actually does do SOME good things in the game where folk nwere moved to say he was pish/terrible/useless a waste of a jersey etc
    This is how it feels

We've had some humpty centre backs in the last few years but in terms of a guy playing every week, he has to be the worst since Murdoch.

Dickoh wasn't too clever but Nelson takes the biscuit.

Hopefully Forster can slot in on tues night cause McPake could maybe be bit of a risk

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post
    We've had some humpty centre backs in the last few years but in terms of a guy playing every week, he has to be the worst since Murdoch.

Hopefully Forster can slot in on tues night cause McPake could maybe be bit of a risk
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, there have been some woeful centre backs who have offered nothing of merit. Nelson's decent in the air, but is just too slow, and has no composure or confidence on the ball.

Though watching the highlights, he has a hell of a shot on him. Maybe we should have him up front?
    (not being entirely serious....)

The positive things he did were in an attacking sense. That's not what he's employed for. Look at their goal, he didn't have a clue where Doolan was. Granted, McGivern was equally culpable.

General comment, I wish our centre halves would attack the ball in our box like they do in the oppositions. Forster last week for instance. His man scored twice and he was nowhere yet he would have cleaned his granny our to get on the end of the cross for his goal. Annoying.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post

Very good. So Nelson is the worst CB for years, and you want to replace him with the guy that has cost us four goals in his last two games?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The positive things he did were in an attacking sense. That's not what he's employed for. Look at their goal, he didn't have a clue where Doolan was. Granted, McGivern was equally culpable.

General comment, I wish our centre halves would attack the ball in our box like they do in the oppositions. Forster last week for instance. His man scored twice and he was nowhere yet he would have cleaned his granny our to get on the end of the cross for his goal. Annoying.
    This is the point. He was by no means the only problem at that goal. McGivern was far too slow at getting across and Nelson got done from Doolan in behind.

Nelson is a scapegoat yet as I have said several times, has not been the worst defender over the last few weeks. Forster has cost us four goals, McGivern has been woeful, yet only Nelson gets pelters? Beggars belief

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    This is the point. He was by no means the only problem at that goal. McGivern was far too slow at getting across and Nelson got done from Doolan in behind.

Nelson is a scapegoat yet as I have said several times, has not been the worst defender over the last few weeks. Forster has cost us four goals, McGivern has been woeful, yet only Nelson gets pelters? Beggars belief
    So you won't want a McGivern/Foster Partnership on Tuesday night .Nelson wouldn't of been able to play the the three games in a week anyway and if needed he can come back in for Killie game as he has done a good job on Boyd this season .
    McPake will want to play but only T B will know if he he is ready for this game which is crucial .

The only certainty is whoever is in back four won't keep clean sheet so hope we can score first for a change as always losing first goal just adds to pressure and this game could all about who handles that the best .Gutted Thompson is out as he was at Heart of prompting a lot of our creative moves in that first half .His eerience and composure are also just what we need for this game .
    We are not getting Mutch luck so will need to do it the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    Very good. So Nelson is the worst CB for years, and you want to replace him with the guy that has cost us four goals in his last two games?
    I'm sorry but Nelson has cost us way more than four goals this season. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread I made it four he cost us in our first four league games alone back in August/Sept. Forster has a lot to learn but he has been much better for us than Nelson I think most would agree - and that's despite playing out of position because of the ridiculous squad Fenlon put together.

It's the way Nelson's lack of pace makes our defence have to play so deep that I think is equally damaging though. It creates muh more space for our midfield to cover and gives the opposition much more speace when they have the ball. We are unable to close their attacks down the way that they can do to us. I think this is crucial in explaining why ordinary teams can look so good against us and be so effective when they're attacking.

I appreciate your loyalty to him dmc1875 and but I agree with those on this thread who think that MN is the worst of our defenders. Granted - he does have some stiff competition for that award but he wins it IMO. Hanlon is head and shoulders above all the rest. Forster has promise and played impressively beside him at the end of last season. The rest must be allowed to either leave or sit in the stands

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    I said it at the time and was shot down in flames on here, it was a terrrible signing. He couldnt get a game for Bradford City before we signed him! He is absolutely honking.

Who ever sanctioned a 2 year contract for him should be given the bullet.

Left by mutual consent!
    We needed, and have done for a while now, a big, commanding and quality no 5. Nelson fit the bill in terms of the big part but that was about it. I suspect PF signed him as back up, not expecting him to play that much as he was probably looking at McPake and Hanlon as his first choice pair.

This was flawed management as it was clear last season McPake was not a viable answer as the top choice CB based on form and fitness. PF should have been looking at a partner for Hanlon and he was to be fair as he seemed to really want Stephen McManus. I felt at the time Nelson was a hell of a come down from targetting the likes of McManus and how we went from McManus to Nelson is baffling. Poor scouting network? Lack of contacts and imagination when it came to signings? No money left after blowing our load on James Collins?

Nelson signed on 1st August 2013. He was not a panic signing so PF must have thought he was the best he could get. A panic signing would have been signed a month after that. Zubir is an example of a panic signing. The three players we got in January were panic signings.

The person who questioned the wisdom of giving a 33 year old journey man centre half a 2 year deal is right. WTF was that all about. Lets hope being stuck with him for another season or having to pay him off doesn't impact Terry's summer budget.

When folk start trying to claim that Fenlon is blameless for where we find ourselves they are obviously forgetting some of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I simply suggested he was not all bad in that ninety minutes and that highlights package confirms it!
    This is how it feels