hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's ***** & I hope be never pulls on a Hibs shirt again.
    Harsh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nelson is a bit of an oaf. I would be sorry to see him in Hibs colours again.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Very harsh comments on here. Awful distribution but decent in the air, tries his heart out and is a real goal threat. We need to stop this constant abuse of our own players

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Very harsh comments on here. Awful distribution but decent in the air, tries his heart out and is a real goal threat. We need to stop this constant abuse of our own players
    Wishful thinking that the abuse will end any time soon. Its embarrassing in my opinion. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen posters on this forum make fun of some of the dafties on Yakback but we have our fair share of them too.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I do feel a bit for Nelson - he took a few games to get going, but at the time he broke his cheekbone against Celtic I thought he was playing really well, only to then be unavailable for 6 weeks.

There have been times this season where the defence he has played in has looked pretty solid and not conceded many goals, but the last few weeks he has been really, really poor.

Unbelievably unlucky not to score today though.

Coaching Staff
    Patrick supporting mate: "took one for the team and sent off for a crucial professional foul".
    Last edited by steakbake; 04-05-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Patrick supporting mate: "took one for the team and sent off for a crucial professional foul".
    Get a Partick supporting mate, he will tell it like it is.

@hibs.net private member
    He tries his heart out every week. His passing is poor but does win most of the balls in the air. He's just the latest victim of the Hibs boo boys.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    He tries his heart out every week. His passing is poor but does win most of the balls in the air. He's just the latest victim of the Hibs boo boys.
    Totally agree. I wish folk.would try supporting the team instead of laying into them..

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The TRUE Hibernian revolution will NOT and will NEVER be expedited by the boo boys - believe in better.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Will see how we cope without him ,he has been running on empty towards the end of last few games indicating he has given his all in the game .We all know his deficiencies but could we end up more exposed in the middle now with new partnership in a game we can't afford to loose .

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    This is ridiculous. He didn't do anything major wrong today... Or last week...or the week before yet he is constantly made the scapegoat.
    You could argue by taking the second yellow he saved our season as it was a certain goal.
    Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's (Hanlon's) been out
    I'm sorry - I just can't agree with you at all - apart from the bit in bold.

Nelson is not the reason we are near the bottom of the league. He is one of the bigger reasons though. A panic buy at the last minute after we'd lost out on our main target. I cannot believe we couldn't find anyone better than him or that we didn't give McManus an earlier time limit to make his decision so that we could pursue other targets. I've heard it said we actually paid a fee to bring him to ER. If that's true I think it says a lot about the decision-making at the club that has led us to where we are.

Since the very first day of the season Nelson has been responsible either partly or in fully for countless goals we've lost.

eg First home game of the season v Motherwell (0-1) long headed clearance over the top between Mullen and Nelson. Both too slow to combat Anier. Next game away v Hearts (0-1) Nelson lost his man (Patterson) for the only goal of the game. Next game - home to Dundee Utd (1-1) another long ball over the right central defensive area which Armstrong buries. Nelson out of position and too slow to recover. Next game away to Killie which we won 2-1 but poor Nelson defensive header lands at the feet of Barry Nicholson who hits the ball straight into our net etc etc etc - the list goes on and on.

I felt on that very first game of the season that Nelson was out of his depth at SPFL level. His chronic lack of pace was alarming even that early in the campaign. It may be that, when he was younger, he was quicker and therefore more effective but all that matters is now. It's not Nelson's fault he's not good enough or that he's constantly picked. That's probably down to the squad assembled by Pat Fenlon. I certainly would not question his commitment either. He's simply nowhere near good enough and a perfect example of the managerial decisions that, over the last few seasons have seen us slip further and further behind other teams whose managers can "spot a player".

It;s ridiculous to suggest that the absence of one player could "save our season" - so I don't agree with that. However, I do think we should open our eyes about the reasons we are near the bottom of the league - we've brought players to the club who are poorer than players brought to other clubs.
    Last edited by GreenOnions; 04-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's a very cruel thread title.

Nelson will never be the world's best centre back, we all know that, but that's where we are now and we've got to make the best of the playing resources we have at present.

Mcgivern is to blame for Nelson's sending off yesterday make no mistake about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Bit unfair on Robbo there Cat. He is always on the move and looking for the ball
    Except he didn't do it at all yesterday - made some runs into their final third but rarely showed short to take it from the defence.

I think Robertson has been poor the last 2 games but we are so desperate that we do really need to give him these games to find his sharpness. I do rate Robertson but thought he was pretty terrible yesterday and his MOTM award was laughable.

As for Nelson, honest pro but terrible player. Better than McGivern who has gone from a great loan signing to a guy who doesn't seem to care how he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    This is ridiculous. He didn't do anything major wrong today... Or last week...or the week before yet he is constantly made the scapegoat.

You could argue by taking the second yellow he saved our season as it was a certain goal.

Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's been out
    You could also argue that he should have won the ball instead of fouling the man twice - is that beyond the realms of possibility?

I find it hard to disagree with the OP that we are better off with Nelson in the stand.

Can we stop with the "done what he had to", "took one for the team" schtick. Both challenges were poorly timed trips. Both definite yellows. And both totally avoidable.

I might add that butcher didnt even acknowledge him as he went off. May tell you something about his thoughts on the matter.

Players were running past nelson like he was standing still , he is committed but he must be the worst CB in the league hence all the goals that are lost through there.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the OP. He's the worst centre half the club has has had since Derek Anderson.

Absolutely hopeless

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I'm sorry - I just can't agree with you at all - apart from the bit in bold.

Nelson is not the reason we are near the bottom of the league. He is one of the bigger reasons though. A panic buy at the last minute after we'd lost out on our main target. I cannot believe we couldn't find anyone better than him or that we didn't give McManus an earlier time limit to make his decision so that we could pursue other targets. I've heard it said we actually paid a fee to bring him to ER. If that's true I think it says a lot about the decision-making at the club that has led us to where we are.

Since the very first day of the season Nelson has been responsible either partly or in fully for countless goals we've lost.

eg First home game of the season v Motherwell (0-1) long headed clearance over the top between Mullen and Nelson. Both too slow to combat Anier. Next game away v Hearts (0-1) Nelson lost his man (Patterson) for the only goal of the game. Next game - home to Dundee Utd (1-1) another long ball over the right central defensive area which Armstrong buries. Nelson out of position and too slow to recover. Next game away to Killie which we won 2-1 but poor Nelson defensive header lands at the feet of Barry Nicholson who hits the ball straight into our net etc etc etc - the list goes on and on.

I felt on that very first game of the season that Nelson was out of his depth at SPFL level. His chronic lack of pace was alarming even that early in the campaign. It may be that, when he was younger, he was quicker and therefore more effective but all that matters is now. It's not Nelson's fault he's not good enough or that he's constantly picked. That's probably down to the squad assembled by Pat Fenlon. I certainly would not question his commitment either. He's simply nowhere near good enough and a perfect example of the managerial decisions that, over the last few seasons have seen us slip further and further behind other teams whose managers can "spot a player".

It;s ridiculous to suggest that the absence of one player could "save our season" - so I don't agree with that. However, I do think we should open our eyes about the reasons we are near the bottom of the league - we've brought players to the club who are poorer than players brought to other clubs.
    Your post is 100% spot on, G.O.
    My thoughts exactly.

I think too many people on here confuse an honest assessment of a poor player as being a 'boo-boy'. I'll not sit here and hide the fact I think he's hopeless and we can, and should, have better in the squad, but I am by no means a boo-boy myself.

Think this whole 'boo-boy' tag gets thrown about far too easily by some people who need to get off their high-horse.

*Places tin hat firmly on head.*

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    Ryan McGivern was culpable today. Total bomb scare and will ultimately cost Hibernian very, very dear.
    totally agree, there were a few times he kept backing off from thistle when he should have been ready to make a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    The nonsense is that you feel it worth your time to start another utterly boring thread knocking Hibs. The question of Michael Nelson's abilities will be answered in the close season when TB keeps him or not. In the meantime he is what we have and he should be supported as a Hibs player. And your 10 year old would get run over in a mans game of footie. Stop posting daft stuff and you will get taken a wee bit more seriously.
    This

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I think too many people on here confuse an honest assessment of a poor player as being a 'boo-boy'. I'll not sit here and hide the fact I think he's hopeless and we can, and should, have better in the squad, but I am by no means a boo-boy myself.

Think this whole 'boo-boy' tag gets thrown about far too easily by some people who need to get off their high-horse.

The high horsemen v the boo boys.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Nelson's sending off could save our season for no other reason than the fact Higganbotham and Taylor were almost certain to score if he didn't sacrifice himself.

Honestly, folk love a hate figure.
    1000x this it's the complete opposite of what's prested in the OP if he hadn't made the sacrifice it would have been Beaumont/Foster all over but with relegation/playoff implications.

I blame Big Brother for encouraging this "hate"/booing behaviour. If we all behaved like that at work or like Lord Sugar there would be absolute carnage in the workplace.

All the negative energy needs to channelled elsewhere otherwise we run the risk of defeating ourselves. Nows not the time for scapegoating and finger pointing in as much as our club needs the players pulling together we as a support need to be there too.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 04-05-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I agree with the OP. He's the worst centre half the club has has had since Derek Anderson.

Absolutely hopeless
    He wasn't even our worst centre half yesterday never mind ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Boo-boys / high horse - ultimately whoevers right is a hollow victory if we get relegated we have to look beyond this irrelevance in a sense. Can the honest assessments not wait until the end of season ?There's bigger things at stake.

It's the first time in 50 years that I've actually stood up and shouted some not too nice words at a Hibs players. It was in the second half when Nelson had the ball close to our bye line and because he was so slow the Partick player almost won the ball off him.

Nelson couldn't win a battle with a bit toast.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    1000x this it's the complete opposite of what's prested in the OP if he hadn't made the sacrifice it would have been Beaumont/Foster all over but with relegation/playoff implications.

I blame Big Brother for encouraging this "hate"/booing behaviour. If we all behaved like that at work or like Lord Sugar there would be absolute carnage in the workplace.

All the negative energy needs to channelled elsewhere otherwise we run the risk of defeating ourselves. Nows not the time for scapegoating and finger pointing in as much as our club needs the players pulling together we as a support need to be there too.
    he is ***** though

Blog Entries
    Michael Nelson is a 34 year old journeyman who was an emergency signing last season. He's played most of this season because of injuries at one time or another to most of our back 4. He's limited as a player but he gives 100% in every game & has contributed some vital goals & assists this season, remember our late, late equaliser vs Thistle in December? He returned from a shocking injury early wearing a face mask to help our cause & yet someone thinks it's worthwhile to start a negative thread about a guy who will probably at most play one more game for Hibs. If we had a team of players with MN's commitment & courage we would not be in our current predicament.