hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: golf 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I followed him from the 3rd he struggled to find a fairway early on off the tee. Didn't help that he misjudged a putt and finished in a bunker, or he horseshoed out once and was in the jaws of the hole twice.

But he recovered towards the end of the round so that might encourage him tomorrow.

Re slow play, the rounds today were taking about 4 1/2 hours, which was OK

And I should have added ....
    Playing with mannasero who had a fantastic round, he stuck at it and didn't let his head go down, his last few holes showed a lot of character to do that.

And after said M had holed on the last for his 7th birdie he applauded him, that showed a lot of class in the circumstances.
    Cheers for that..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ** T * Q * M ** View Post
    Cheers for that..
    Didn't get as much chance today as I had already been on the course for a few hours before he teed off and I knew my old bones wouldn't stand up to a second time round!

Saw his first 4 holes - again he wasn't hitting fairways or greens in reg but he got it up and down well. But I saw he had 3 birdies in the back 9, including 17 and 18.

Although he missed the cut by a margin I thought he handled the occasion well and was a credit to everyone who has helped bring him to this stage in his career.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I thought the third round players went into pairs not 3s. Is that something new?

I see it was because of weather forecast of thunderstorms.

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/325311.html
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 19-07-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I thought the third round players went into pairs not 3s. Is that something new?

I see it was because of weather forecast of thunderstorms.

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/325311.html
    And two tee start to try to finish before thunderstorms arrive. Not much wind, rain intermittent so some excellent scoring.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Ach what a bunch of wimps. Our golfers are getting as bad as cricketers - the slightest sign of rain and major panic sets in. Three thirty pm on the Saturday of the Open and everything is finished - it's just not British I tell ye!

And as for that cad Mcilroy, his excellent golf over the last few holes has more or less signed sealed and delivered the Tournament and will make tomorrow's TV coverage an anti climax.

But wait --------------------- this is golf so anything can still happen (but highly unlikely)

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Looks like the R&A got it spot on. The weather right now at Hoylake is horrendous!!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm working on the golf, and I can confirm the R&A got it spot on! 20 minutes after the last finish, the sky opened, and the TV compound is awash! Forecast for tomorrow is better, so hopefully dry out a bit over the course of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo View Post
    I'm working on the golf, and I can confirm the R&A got it spot on! 20 minutes after the last finish, the sky opened, and the TV compound is awash! Forecast for tomorrow is better, so hopefully dry out a bit over the course of the day.
    I would hope that the threat of thunder and lightening was the real reason why today's play was rescheduled.

Heavy rain in itself should not be a factor until such time the course becomes unplayable because of flooding.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Rory's to lose
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by pogo View Post
    Getting my lift home the wipers could barely clear the windscreen. Yet a few miles from the course it was bone-dry - don't you just love british summertime!

Forecast was for T&L though nothing yet. Going out for a meal tonight so will probably rumble by then!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I would hope that the threat of thunder and lightening was the real reason why today's play was rescheduled.

Heavy rain in itself should not be a factor until such time the course becomes unplayable because of flooding.
    Correct, there were thunderstorms forecast, but despite some overnight, we have avoided any during play today. If it had occurred, then all the hoists, etc., are dropped, and all coverage would have to stop.
    Not to mention the health and safety of everyone on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Didn't get as much chance today as I had already been on the course for a few hours before he teed off and I knew my old bones wouldn't stand up to a second time round!

Saw his first 4 holes - again he wasn't hitting fairways or greens in reg but he got it up and down well. But I saw he had 3 birdies in the back 9, including 17 and 18.

Although he missed the cut by a margin I thought he handled the occasion well and was a credit to everyone who has helped bring him to this stage in his career.
    He can only learn..

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

It was a combination of the two I reckon. The two-tee start gave them about 5 hours to play with in the event of delays for both lightning and heavy rain. As is usually the case the warnings that the R&A heeded failed to materialise, so they look like they made an unnecessary decision. They can't win! Back to the traditional two ball pairings tomorrow with the final pair out at 2.40pm. Big screen beckons at Peebles Golf Club and a dent in the bar tab
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 19-07-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It was a combination of the two I reckon. The two-tee start gave them about 5 hours to play with in the event of delays for both lightning and heavy rain. As is usually the case the warnings that the R&A heeded failed to materialise, so they look like they made an unnecessary decision. They can't win! Back to the traditional two ball pairings tomorrow with the final pair out at 2.40pm. Big screen beckons at Peebles Golf Club and a dent in the bar tab
    Free drink on the Captain's bar tab tomorrow Dave. Allegedly!

Im off to play Cragielaw today for my first proper links experience thanks to Rickie Fowler who I had on a EW bet

Not bothered about scoring just going to enjoy myself and hopefully it doesn't rain

Gowfers - a wee query for you:

At Monifieth we have two courses - Medal (Par 71/CSS 71 (yellow) 72 (white)) and the Ashludie (par 68/CSS 65)

I am one of 16 guys - we play every Sunday in 4-balls on the Ashludie. Most club members play the Medal.

As few of the 16 play both courses - and fewer submit cards to both regularly - we operate a unique handicap system. These handicaps are not tied to our official handicaps.

I am lowest off 4, and treat this a class 1. The other range from 7 to 16 (therefore class 2 and 3). As playing numbers vary each week, and it is a small field, I run the handicaps with no CSS and just a buffer against par (so my buffer is 69 (68 + 1) rising to the highest off 16 being 71 (68 + 3). The idea of no CSS is because some weeks someone will have a great score and be slashed if others' scores are factored in. Thus the players are playing the course - and less so the rest of the field. Cuts are 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 (per stroke per class) and all increases are 0.1

My question to you is this unfair? In the absence of the 16 submitting cards for their official h/c - is my system 'logical'? Any thoughts/advice?

TQM

At Monifieth we have two courses - Medal (Par 71/CSS 71 (yellow) 72 (white)) and the Ashludie (par 68/CSS 65)

I am one of 16 guys - we play every Sunday in 4-balls on the Ashludie. Most club members play the Medal.

As few of the 16 play both courses - and fewer submit cards to both regularly - we operate a unique handicap system. These handicaps are not tied to our official handicaps.

I am lowest off 4, and treat this a class 1. The other range from 7 to 16 (therefore class 2 and 3). As playing numbers vary each week, and it is a small field, I run the handicaps with no CSS and just a buffer against par (so my buffer is 69 (68 + 1) rising to the highest off 16 being 71 (68 + 3). The idea of no CSS is because some weeks someone will have a great score and be slashed if others' scores are factored in. Thus the players are playing the course - and less so the rest of the field. Cuts are 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 (per stroke per class) and all increases are 0.1

My question to you is this unfair? In the absence of the 16 submitting cards for their official h/c - is my system 'logical'? Any thoughts/advice?

TQM
    seems fair enough to me TQM. As you say with a small field the CSS could be affected greatly by one really good score. I don't really think there should be a CSS in any case. I don't think there should even be SSS that is any different to par either.

TQM
    You are in essence playing a competitive bounce game so if the system is universally acceptable by your group then so be it.

However in these days of the Supplementary Score system, there's nothing to prevent your group from playing off their "official handicaps." The SSS will remain static, cards will be submitted for official handicap purposes (thus avoiding the possibility that handicaps will become inactive at season end) and of course you can still have a winner within your own wee clique.

You are in essence playing a competitive bounce game so if the system is universally acceptable by your group then so be it.

However in these days of the Supplementary Score system, there's nothing to prevent your group from playing off their "official handicaps." The SSS will remain static, cards will be submitted for official handicap purposes (thus avoiding the possibility that handicaps will become inactive at season end) and of course you can still have a winner within your own wee clique.
    Therein lies the rub.. too few submit cards on the wee course because it's one handicap for both courses. Lexo's advice was better than yours and I make him the 5&4 winner.

Therein lies the rub.. too few submit cards on the wee course because it's one handicap for both courses. Lexo's advice was better than yours and I make him the 5&4 winner.
    Ah well, I'll need to get a bit heavy!

"Par" is based on course length while SSS is based both on playing length and degree of difficulty.

"Par" is not such an effective means of measuring performance as one based on SSS/CSS

Your system does not take into account weather conditions on the day of the competition and the effect it will have on the scoring.

Your system does not take make any allowance for mega bad holes unlike the Stableford/Net Double Bogey adjustments which are carried out under the recognised scheme.

To summarise:-

"CONGU does not consider Par provides a suitable basis for a reliable and robust handicap system. Par is a very crude measure of the playing difficulty of a golf course. Two courses having the same Par may vary in length by many hundred yards"

In short ------------- nah, stick with the recognised scheme but if you're all happy with a flawed system then so be it.

Our system does recognise, and reduce scores to no worse than a double bogey.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Need a bit of help in re-shafting a club.

My driver is a Taylor Made R7 love the club, tried the newer versions but not liked them as much. I have been wanting to upgrade the shaft for some time being the total golf club ****** I see this as the cure to all my wayward drives!!

On eBay I managed to get an Aldila NV for an absolute steal. And I am wanting to replace my existing standard shaft with that. The pro at my local club is known for being *** useless and when I spoke to him about it said he would have to send it away to Taylor Made and it would cost about £90.

Does anyone know someone that could do this or recommend a place I could take it to who won't charge a fortune?

First Team Breakthrough PerthHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

My driver is a Taylor Made R7 love the club, tried the newer versions but not liked them as much. I have been wanting to upgrade the shaft for some time being the total golf club ****** I see this as the cure to all my wayward drives!!

On eBay I managed to get an Aldila NV for an absolute steal. And I am wanting to replace my existing standard shaft with that. The pro at my local club is known for being *** useless and when I spoke to him about it said he would have to send it away to Taylor Made and it would cost about £90.

Does anyone know someone that could do this or recommend a place I could take it to who won't charge a fortune?
    I get most of my stuff done by Scott Gourley at craigmillar park. Service, advice and price 1st class.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

Be careful. Some R7 models are non conforming and illegal.

Ah well, I'll need to get a bit heavy!

"Par" is based on course length while SSS is based both on playing length and degree of difficulty.

"Par" is not such an effective means of measuring performance as one based on SSS/CSS

Your system does not take into account weather conditions on the day of the competition and the effect it will have on the scoring.

Your system does not take make any allowance for mega bad holes unlike the Stableford/Net Double Bogey adjustments which are carried out under the recognised scheme.

To summarise:-

"CONGU does not consider Par provides a suitable basis for a reliable and robust handicap system. Par is a very crude measure of the playing difficulty of a golf course. Two courses having the same Par may vary in length by many hundred yards"

In short ------------- nah, stick with the recognised scheme but if you're all happy with a flawed system then so be it.

Can you explain why home players and away players have different CSS when they are playing the same course in the same conditions? Never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Can you explain why home players and away players have different CSS when they are playing the same course in the same conditions? Never understood that.
    I think it is based on statistical information which was compiled by the Handicapping Authorities over a number of years. They found that when separate CSS calculations were retrospectively carried out for "Home Players" as a group, and Visitors, the CSS for the visiting players was frequently higher than that calculated for the "Home" Players and higher than the original CSS calculated for the overall field.

By carrying out separate CSS calculations and applying the resultant CSS to the Home player and visitor returns for handicap purposes, the inbalance was substantially reduced with more visiting players returning net scores to their Buffer zone or better.

Plus of course a separate CSS for visiting players should in theory encourage more guys to enter Open Tournaments.

For my sins, I'm Handicap Convenor at my own Club and all I can say is thank goodness for the computer which allows for all these fanciful calculations to built in to the software!

I think it is based on statistical information which was compiled by the Handicapping Authorities over a number of years. They found that when separate CSS calculations were retrospectively carried out for "Home Players" as a group, and Visitors, the CSS for the visiting players was frequently higher than that calculated for the "Home" Players and higher than the original CSS calculated for the overall field.

By carrying out separate CSS calculations and applying the resultant CSS to the Home player and visitor returns for handicap purposes, the inbalance was substantially reduced with more visiting players returning net scores to their Buffer zone or better.

Plus of course a separate CSS for visiting players should in theory encourage more guys to enter Open Tournaments.

For my sins, I'm Handicap Convenor at my own Club and all I can say is thank goodness for the computer which allows for all these fanciful calculations to built in to the software!
    Ta. I always thought whilst probably right as it slewed the CSS in favour of the Home player it allows the away player ( particularly the cat 1 guys) to either get easy cuts in their handicaps or making buffer keeping them lower than they actually are.

Ta. I always thought whilst probably right as it slewed the CSS in favour of the Home player it allows the away player ( particularly the cat 1 guys) to either get easy cuts in their handicaps or making buffer keeping them lower than they actually are.
    From my own experiences of playing in Open Tournaments this year, the Home & Visitors CSS have generally been the same and on occasions when it did differ it was only be 1 stroke.

In theory, home advantage at golf will be a factor as it is in other sports so perhaps the introduction of the Visitors' CSS was one way of trying to negate it.

Be careful. Some R7 models are non conforming and illegal.
    Checked and it's alright, thanks for the heads up. Mind you a but late, been using it for 3 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerthHibby View Post
    I get most of my stuff done by Scott Gourley at craigmillar park. Service, advice and price 1st class.
    Just spoke to one of the guys up there and they can do it no bother. Thanks for letting me know about him.