hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: golf 2014

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ** T * Q * M ** View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was 4= after round 1 of our Club Champs. But missed the other qualifying rounds (my own fault).

As every good Hibby knows, there's always next year!
    I missed out as well this year. I failed by one stroke to make it to the matchplay stage after rounds of 75 & 78.

Ah well - roll on the start of the fitba' season. Well maybe not eh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

5 and 1/4 hour match last night as we won on 6th extra hole!!

Shot best ever on the Medal course - 73 - with 4 birdies out and 5 in total for 18. Another two birdies in the extra holes

Drained at least 6 x 25-footers + too! Opponent, a fellow Hibby in his 50s, has played for decades at Monifieth (member of two clubs and plays all the time eg 11 rounds in the last 9 days (how is that possible?!?)) said it was without doubt the best ever putting display he'd ever seen .. bit chuffed with masel! Have to say the greens are amazing - so true..

Now if I could just get a driver, I'd be sorted!

5 and 1/4 hour match last night as we won on 6th extra hole!!

Shot best ever on the Medal course - 73 - with 4 birdies out and 5 in total for 18. Another two birdies in the extra holes

Drained at least 6 x 25-footers + too! Opponent, a fellow Hibby in his 50s, has played for decades at Monifieth (member of two clubs and plays all the time eg 11 rounds in the last 9 days (how is that possible?!?)) said it was without doubt the best ever putting display he'd ever seen .. bit chuffed with masel! Have to say the greens are amazing - so true..

Now if I could just get a driver, I'd be sorted!
    Dare I say it ------------------------------ bandit?!

Last season, Jim44 and I had a classic tie in the four ball better ball knock out tournament. We eventually triumphed at the 10th extra hole - a real marathon and by far the longest tie I've ever been involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Dare I say it ------------------------------ bandit?! .
    Better ball for the four of us was -11 for 18 holes. No worse than par won each hole. This is my partner's wee brother -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/27964596

Last season, Jim44 and I had a classic tie in the four ball better ball knock out tournament. We eventually triumphed at the 10th extra hole - a real marathon and by far the longest tie I've ever been involved in.
    That's incredible!

Better ball for the four of us was -11 for 18 holes. No worse than par won each hole. This is my partner's wee brother -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/27964596

That's incredible!
    That was a fantastic win by Bradley Neil. I suspect you'll already be planning a visit to next year's Masters at Augusta.

That was a fantastic win by Bradley Neil. I suspect you'll already be planning a visit to next year's Masters at Augusta.

Despite the fact I play with his big brother, Connor, I haven't met Bradley properly. I walked round the Scottish Boys' Final at Monifieth last April and Bradley's ball striking is breathtaking. I have never seen anything like it. Barely any noise and a wee divot about the size of a Post-It .. every time. Since Sunday, he has had IMG courting him big time to sign pro .. I think he will wait a year and take advantage of the OPen/US/Masters' invites.

My wife's cousin can arrange tickets to the Masters for me but I've no plans to go (for now ). I was thinking about Hoylake - to see Bradley et al - but I've loads on and cannot see a lot of time off work this year..

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Turnhouse Open next weekend - still a few spaces left if anyone fancies it.

£20 for 2 rounds Sat & Sun and the possibility of reaching the matchplay stages is a cracking deal and the course has never looked better IMO.

My game is still looking positive as well despite carding a 9!!!! in my last 2 rounds. Yesterday I had six 3's on my card which is unreal for me

Really looking forward to it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Turnhouse Open next weekend - still a few spaces left if anyone fancies it.

£20 for 2 rounds Sat & Sun and the possibility of reaching the matchplay stages is a cracking deal and the course has never looked better IMO.

My game is still looking positive as well despite carding a 9!!!! in my last 2 rounds. Yesterday I had six 3's on my card which is unreal for me

Really looking forward to it.
    I think I'm out right behind you. Dinnae be holding me up now. (specially the Sunday as I need to nash away sharp)If you stay in the middle of the fairway you'll be safe enough.

Gamer IDs

I am indeed see you Saturday
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I am indeed see you Saturday
    Good good.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Anyone else on here a member of Baberton? I've not long joined and always looking for folk to play with.

I played in a Seniors Open at the Roxburghe yesterday.

Fantastic course, lightening fast greens and going by the hole positions, I can only assume that the Head Greenkeeper was a total sadist. The CSS shot up to 75 (reduction only) which on a perfect day weather wise, speaks for itself.

5 friggin hours to complete the round was another downside but I'm already looking forward to next years competition.

I played in a Seniors Open at the Roxburghe yesterday.

Fantastic course, lightening fast greens and going by the hole positions, I can only assume that the Head Greenkeeper was a total sadist. The CSS shot up to 75 (reduction only) which on a perfect day weather wise, speaks for itself.

5 friggin hours to complete the round was another downside but I'm already looking forward to next years competition.
    I'm playing there on Friday in the duffers Open. I hope they are a bit kinder to us. Great track and looking froward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I'm playing there on Friday in the duffers Open. I hope they are a bit kinder to us. Great track and looking froward to it.
    If the holes are in the same locations then I'd recommend a liberal intake of alcohol before you play in order to settle the nerves.

I ended up a quivering gibbering wreck after yesterday's round however I've since been informed that my score of 81-4=77 was good enough to win a prize in my age category! (I'm only a junior senior)

If the holes are in the same locations then I'd recommend a liberal intake of alcohol before you play in order to settle the nerves.

I ended up a quivering gibbering wreck after yesterday's round however I've since been informed that my score of 81-4=77 was good enough to win a prize in my age category! (I'm only a junior senior)

Ha Ha. Another couple if years and Ill be joining you on the Monday.

First Team Breakthrough 12AlbionPlace's Avatar
    Played Westerwood today courtesy of my Bunkered voucher. I wasn't expecting much as it get mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, a couple of strange holes, particularly the 12th but overall a great day helped by having some fantastic weather. Special mention go to the greens which were superb, if I had a criticism then the tees could be in better condition, but hey you get to use a tee on there. Anyone else played it recently and thought the same or am I suffering from sun stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by 12AlbionPlace View Post
    Played Westerwood today courtesy of my Bunkered voucher. I wasn't expecting much as it get mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, a couple of strange holes, particularly the 12th but overall a great day helped by having some fantastic weather. Special mention go to the greens which were superb, if I had a criticism then the tees could be in better condition, but hey you get to use a tee on there. Anyone else played it recently and thought the same or am I suffering from sun stroke.
    . Should be good just now. Gets really wet most of the year.

You weren't kidding about the rapidity of the greens at The Roxburghe Golden Bear!!!!! 7 three putts. (to be fair I wasn't hitting it particularly close.) Lightning. Hay up to my knees a few times too. All added up to big numbers. Reckon by the time I got to about 14 I needed to par in for buffer. par at 14 bogey 15 & 16 and a lost ball that had no business being lost at 17 and it was NR for me. Great track all the same.
    Last edited by greenlex; 11-07-2014 at 07:06 PM.

You weren't kidding about the rapidity of the greens at The Roxburghe Golden Bear!!!!! 7 three putts. (to be fair I wasn't hitting it particularly close.) Lightning. Hay up to my knees a few times too. All added up to big numbers. Reckon by the time I got to about 14 I needed to par in for buffer. par at 14 bogey 15 & 16 and a lost ball that had no business being lost at 17 and it was NR for me. Great track all the same.
    It's a great place to play, no doubt about that. I'm off to Uphall for a Texas Scramble on Monday, then I've a courtesy 4 ball at Lanark on Tuesday. Life sure is a bitch at present!

It's a great place to play, no doubt about that. I'm off to Uphall for a Texas Scramble on Monday, then I've a courtesy 4 ball at Lanark on Tuesday. Life sure is a bitch at present!
    Bounce game at Bothwell Castle tomorrow and funnily enough Lanark Open on Wednesday. Loving the gowfin.

Bothwell Castle is in good condition. You can see it would get a bit soggy in the Winter but a fair bit of newish drainage work that hadn't quite recovered dotted around the course. Fairly new Clubhouse that is fantastic,. The Spikes bar looks 5 star and a balcony outside looking over the course is a great place to enjoy the 19th. Recommended,

Played in a Seniors Texas Scramble today at Uphall. When we left a net 53 was leading. That's mind bogglin stuff to say the least!

Gamer IDs

Played in a Seniors Texas Scramble today at Uphall. When we left a net 53 was leading. That's mind bogglin stuff to say the least!

Last scramble we played in we scored 53 as well and won by 1 point

Aye your a bandit, 3 handicapper my arse! 😉

At Easter Road we play...

Bounce game at Bothwell Castle tomorrow and funnily enough Lanark Open on Wednesday. Loving the gowfin.
    Played there today - thoroughly enjoyed the course and the hospitality. The greens are quick but not lightening. Keep the ball below the hole would be good advice.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    [QUOTE=** T * Q * M **;4075912 I was thinking about Hoylake - to see Bradley et al - but I've loads on and cannot see a lot of time off work this year..[/QUOTE]
    I followed him on the practice day today for most of his round. Playing with Stephen Gallacher and Paul Lawrie and hit some awesome shots. Different pressure tomorrow, but if he can keep it straight then he could be well on the way to making the cut - hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I followed him on the practice day today for most of his round. Playing with Stephen Gallacher and Paul Lawrie and hit some awesome shots. Different pressure tomorrow, but if he can keep it straight then he could be well on the way to making the cut - hope so.
    Bradley was +7 for his first round

Played there today - thoroughly enjoyed the course and the hospitality. The greens are quick but not lightening. Keep the ball below the hole would be good advice.
    Lasted 4 holes and a tee shot at 5. an Hour and a half for 4 bloody holes. Not what I call enjoyment. Two groups on every tee. at least one group on every fairway waiting. Scunnered. Heading for over 6 hours on a golf course of any kind is ridiculous. It was an easy choice to make after 4 putts on the first a three putt on the third, a miserable birdie attempt on the 4th all followed by a tee shot straight left into the trees at 5. If I'm playing their hackers open again Ill be off early doors.

Lasted 4 holes and a tee shot at 5. an Hour and a half for 4 bloody holes. Not what I call enjoyment. Two groups on every tee. at least one group on every fairway waiting. Scunnered. Heading for over 6 hours on a golf course of any kind is ridiculous. It was an easy choice to make after 4 putts on the first a three putt on the third, a miserable birdie attempt on the 4th all followed by a tee shot straight left into the trees at 5. If I'm playing their hackers open again Ill be off early doors.
    Not good.

Slow play does my head in and I can't blame you for calling it a day when you did.

Four of us with a variety of handicaps got round Lanark in three and a half hours on Tuesday. We did our fair share of tramping about the heather looking for lost balls so we didn't do too badly at that.

Slow play spoils the enjoyment for everyone and if you get the opportunity to play the course again then I'd jump at it because it's a very good test of golf.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Bradley was +7 for his first round
    I followed him from the 3rd he struggled to find a fairway early on off the tee. Didn't help that he misjudged a putt and finished in a bunker, or he horseshoed out once and was in the jaws of the hole twice.

But he recovered towards the end of the round so that might encourage him tomorrow.

Re slow play, the rounds today were taking about 4 1/2 hours, which was OK

And I should have added ....
    Playing with mannasero who had a fantastic round, he stuck at it and didn't let his head go down, his last few holes showed a lot of character to do that.

And after said M had holed on the last for his 7th birdie he applauded him, that showed a lot of class in the circumstances.
    Last edited by ACLeith; 17-07-2014 at 07:49 PM.