hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: golf 2014

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Played in a charity team stableford golf event at Elmwood Golf Club near Cupar.

Superb day, and for a great cause raising £1400 for The Cookie Jar Foundation.

It was my first time playing the course, not very often the way I've been playing recently have I been disappointed for my round to come to an end but definitely was yesterday.

Course is challenging with some really punishing rough, some of the par 4 holes you can get away with an Iron/hybrid from the tee making the hole "look" easy, the greens however can be 3 putt territory anywhere outside of 20ft.

Worth a visit and their deals for golfing society's seem pretty decent too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbykeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played in a charity team stableford golf event at Elmwood Golf Club near Cupar.

Superb day, and for a great cause raising £1400 for The Cookie Jar Foundation.

It was my first time playing the course, not very often the way I've been playing recently have I been disappointed for my round to come to an end but definitely was yesterday.

Course is challenging with some really punishing rough, some of the par 4 holes you can get away with an Iron/hybrid from the tee making the hole "look" easy, the greens however can be 3 putt territory anywhere outside of 20ft.

Worth a visit and their deals for golfing society's seem pretty decent too.
    Elmwood - as it is part of a College - changes its course every year. Go back next year and it will be totally different.

4th best score in the Club Champs tonight and I left 5 shots out there too! It's coming

Greens fabulous now.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    What a day for it today, played Whitekirk, I dont think I have ever seen rough like it. Considering the amount of blind shots you have it's not a good set up. It's a shame because its a pretty decent track.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    What a day for it today, played Whitekirk, I dont think I have ever seen rough like it. Considering the amount of blind shots you have it's not a good set up. It's a shame because its a pretty decent track.
    My brother-in-law is a member there, he was saying the very same thing last night. I'm sure there has been a few complaints from some of the members about the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Glorious day .. legs and forehead on fire!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Fantastic day today. Our 1st champ qualifier, 170 plus competitors - who says golf is dying ?!! . Yet another buffer for me but still in the hunt to qualify. Next week is crucial so nae ER protest for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by hibbykeith View Post
    My brother-in-law is a member there, he was saying the very same thing last night. I'm sure there has been a few complaints from some of the members about the rough.
    It's a tough course which requires a lot of local knowledge. The upturned greens are difficult, as are the numerous blind shots in the opening holes. I still enjoy playing it though.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Glorious day for the plus 10 championship at Turnhouse yesterday. Stupidly didn't wear the suntan lotion though so bit red now.

Managed to qualify for the handicap comp as well despite an 8 on the 6th. Been a good start to the season for me long may it continue.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Dave, is this nearly as long as mine at the Road Hole?

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

No quite
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Podium finish at Uphall Open yesterday. (I think. they have only posted scratch scores. Tied 12th despite 2 doubles). You gotta love the game

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Podium finish at Uphall Open yesterday. (I think. they have only posted scratch scores. Tied 12th despite 2 doubles). You gotta love the game
    Do you actually like that course Alex? I found it to be really dull.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Do you actually like that course Alex? I found it to be really dull.
    No I have never particularly liked it but it was the only open I could find on Sunday. A competitive game for £12 basically. Harburn Open this Saturday.£15. Get a 2 at 15 and get your entry fee back. Unusual I think. Its in terrific nick too.
    Last edited by greenlex; 02-06-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Cut .9 and down to 13.7 after a net 67 on Sunday. Played pretty well, and left a couple of shots out there, even had a dreaded shank on the back of my best drive of the day.

Starting to reap the benefit of my new custom fit clubs.

Gamer IDs

No I have never particularly liked it but it was the only open I could find on Sunday. A competitive game for £12 basically. Harburn Open this Saturday.£15. Get a 2 at 15 and get your entry fee back. Unusual I think. Its in terrific nick too.
    Harburn is good - always enjoyed it.

Anyway won my tie tonight - quarters on Wednesday - unfortunately forecast is terrible.

Anyway won my tie tonight - quarters on Wednesday - unfortunately forecast is terrible.
    Booooooommmm!

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar

Any Joy?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Any Joy?
    Not sure on BH golf but the weather was terrible

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Anyone played Haddington?

What's it like?

Good/bad/tough/easy?
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Anyone played Haddington?

What's it like?

Good/bad/tough/easy?
    played it a few years ago and it's a decent track and was in really good nick

Blackpool was a good trip. Played Staining Lodge, Herons Reach x2 and Blackpool Park.

Staining Lodge is a good course, a few par 5's so birdie opportunities aplenty. Played my best golf of the week on this course. Everything felt just right for the most part. 7/10

Herons Reach is just a beautiful course, looks immense in the sun. For your below average golfer like myself it can be cruelly punishing though. Miss left or right and you are in severe danger most holes. And for someone who has developed a major slice problem that's not good. 8/10

Blackpool Park for a council run course is actually pretty decent setup however greens were a bit 'meh'. 6/10

Very sunburnt though, currently looking like this guy:

Gamer IDs

Aye I got soaked

Unfortunately lost on the last hole.

Quite happy how my game has improved though - hopefully get the handicap down a bit over the next few months

Turnhouse Open in a few weeks time - well worth the entry fee and still some spaces left I believe.

Heading out shortly for the second round of our Championship Qualifier and hoping to get round dry before the monsoon season starts.

I'm playing at Dunbar tomorrow and looking forward to that one. It's always a course I like, not too long and not too difficult but has it's challenges all the same.

Aye I got soaked

Unfortunately lost on the last hole.

Quite happy how my game has improved though - hopefully get the handicap down a bit over the next few months

Turnhouse Open in a few weeks time - well worth the entry fee and still some spaces left I believe.
    I'm in. Just waiting on my time. :-) The last two Sundays I've been out and about at Opens. £60 voucher for third last week. Hitting it decent but always a couple of holes bugger it up. A 7 and an 8 both at par 4s cost me yesterday at Greenburn and a 7 and a 6 on Sat at Harburn. The Stableford adjustment got me a .4 cut Yesterday. (25 putts helped) That's nearly a shot and a half chopped off in the space of a week. Pleasing. Championship qualifying this weekend coming.been looking at Seniors Opens this week but all the 50+ ones are full. :-(. I'm on holiday this week so if anyone fancies a hack round Harburn give me a shout.
    Last edited by greenlex; 09-06-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Heading out shortly for the second round of our Championship Qualifier and hoping to get round dry before the monsoon season starts.

I'm playing at Dunbar tomorrow and looking forward to that one. It's always a course I like, not too long and not too difficult but has it's challenges all the same.

Usually the wind.

Usually the wind.
    I played there yesterday in the Gents Open and bunkers were the problem ----- a big, big problem. The*uggers seemed to come out and bite me on every hole.

Perfect weather conditions and I still managed to comfortably accumulate another point 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I played there yesterday in the Gents Open and bunkers were the problem ----- a big, big problem. The*uggers seemed to come out and bite me on every hole.

Perfect weather conditions and I still managed to comfortably accumulate another point 1.

Bloody golf!!!!

Well Ive sneaked into our duffers Championship finals day in last spot (83 followed by a 81)after a Saturday where my ball striking was poor and today my putting was shocking. Im 11 behind with two rounds to go next Sunday so its a tall order. Think Ill target second as Im only 6 off that. EDIT - not in. ****ing shambles. Club council have taken it upon themselves to make the B & C classes over 3 rounds with only 8 Qualifiers!!!!! They haven't told anyone until posting the qualifiers. A class get 15 and ties and another 2 rounds. How does that work???? ****ing Shambles!!!! Email sent!!!
    Last edited by greenlex; 16-06-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Well Ive sneaked into our duffers Championship finals day in last spot (83 followed by a 81)after a Saturday where my ball striking was poor and today my putting was shocking. Im 11 behind with two rounds to go next Sunday so its a tall order. Think Ill target second as Im only 6 off that. EDIT - not in. ****ing shambles. Club council have taken it upon themselves to make the B & C classes over 3 rounds with only 8 Qualifiers!!!!! They haven't told anyone until posting the qualifiers. A class get 15 and ties and another 2 rounds. How does that work???? ****ing Shambles!!!! Email sent!!!
    I was 4= after round 1 of our Club Champs. But missed the other qualifying rounds (my own fault).

As every good Hibby knows, there's always next year!