hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Joe McBride

Joe McBride

New player profile online from the Hibernian Historical Trust.

Fans favourite Joe McBride

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/180-joe-mcbride

Link

Please leave your memories and comments below

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Brilliant player and one of my all time favourite Hibs players.

Scored a barrowload of goals and Colin Stein was quickly forgotten about.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    strangely, i can only just vaguely remember colin stein leaving(and his debut for his horrible new team at ER )but can't remember a thing about Joe McBride, was the winger joe McBride we had in the 80's any relation ? i do remember him(young Joe) scoring two at the wongadome though

Left by mutual consent!
    2 goals at ER against Celtic in the first half were brilliant..... named in player profile as "Hibs chunky forward". No pace but knew how to score goals. His son (also Joe) scored a couple of beauts against hear7s at tynie.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 goals at ER against Celtic in the first half were brilliant..... named in player profile as "Hibs chunky forward". No pace but knew how to score goals. His son (also Joe) scored a couple of beauts against hear7s at tynie.

ta, that answers my Q

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    strangely, i can only just vaguely remember colin stein leaving(and his debut for his horrible new team at ER )but can't remember a thing about Joe McBride, was the winger joe McBride we had in the 80's any relation ? i do remember him(young Joe) scoring two at the wongadome though
    Stein,I think scored 3 in his debut and another 3 against us in his 2nd game (at Ibrox ?). Got sent off in his 3rg game for the huns.

Stein,I think scored 3 in his debut and another 3 against us in his 2nd game (at Ibrox ?). Got sent off in his 3rg game for the huns.

what a way to thank his previous employer huh,

A superb signing for us he was. Could score goals for fun, I vividly remember his 2 goals against Celtic at Easter Road when we beat them 2-0 and the gigantic smile on his face after scoring.

Always in my top 20 players.

Iirc they were 2 direct free kicks in around the 85th and 90th minutes to get a 2-2 from being 2-0 and hopeless with 5 mins to go

Stein, in his first three games scored 8 goals, Abroath 3, Dundalk 2, & Hibs 3 . Joe McBride done the same in his first week at Hibs, a goal at Ibrox [1-6], 3 against Lokomotiv Liepzig and 4 against Morton.

His two against Celtic was wonderful, which was the first game after Tom Hart became associated with Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Iirc they were 2 direct free kicks in around the 85th and 90th minutes to get a 2-2 from being 2-0 and hopeless with 5 mins to go
    The 2nd one that night is one of my all time Favourite Hibs goals. Joe stuck it in the postage stamp and the Hibs end went mental. There was actually a stream of bodies leaving at the time. Queue the Hertz scarves on the pitch and a running battle in Gorgie Rd. Good times

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    I have never seen a player who could head the ball as powerfully as Joe could. I was gutted when Stein left but got over him very quickly.

Sadly only remember Joe McB MkII.

The 2v0 against Celtic was one of my first big games and the volley is still one of my favourite goals - saw it through packed terrace in Cave . I was at an FA cup tie in about 1980 in which Everton beat Arsenal 2v0 both goals by a teenage Joe McBride Jr . He was a great prospect and though he was good for us never seemed to really fulfil his potential . A Celtic coach now I think .

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    The 2v0 against Celtic was one of my first big games and the volley is still one of my favourite goals - saw it through packed terrace in Cave . I was at an FA cup tie in about 1980 in which Everton beat Arsenal 2v0 both goals by a teenage Joe McBride Jr . He was a great prospect and though he was good for us never seemed to really fulfil his potential . A Celtic coach now I think .
    yes mind the celtic game i was in the cave as well the volley was a great goal, but it all ended unsavory at the end of his career with hibs. mind through at ayr and hibs fans singing slow slow slow mcbride we were losing that day 2-0 i think and he was way past his best by then.

A good old fashioned center forward who had guile and the guts and passion to go with it.

off the park he was an absolute gentleman and an idol to many young supporters of that time.

A good man who took pride wearing the Hibs jersey!

RIP Joe!

Joe McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    A good old fashioned center forward who had guile and the guts and passion to go with it.

off the park he was an absolute gentleman and an idol to many young supporters of that time.

A good man who took pride wearing the Hibs jersey!

RIP Joe!
    Wonderful player and great bloke!As someone else said it made us forget Colin Stein.He was also lethal both in and on the edge of the box.

Father and son.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    IIRC when Celtic sold him to us after Colin Stein left for Ibrox, Jock Stein was quoted in the papers as justifying the transfer on the grounds that Joe's knees were gone and he was 'past it'.

Which may be why, when he scored those 2 goals in the 2-0 win at ER against Jock Stein's Celtic, Joe ran all the way up the touchline in front of the main stand to celebrate with his team-mates in front of the Celtic dugout.

BOTH goals.

Jock Stein's face was a picture.

BOTH times.

The Unwashed always refer to him as 'Joe McBride of Celtic' but he had good spells (and excellent scoring records) for Kilmarnock, Partick, Motherwell and Hibs as well as his time at Celtic. He scored a lot of goals for us, and that first week is a week I'll never forget. I think he scored another three times in the following two games - 11 in 5.

I do remember a pal at school (a Hun) trying to wind me up about them signing Colin Stein, but he'd left it a week or so too late.

Told him Hibs centre-forward was Joe McBride, scoring for fun - who the bleep was Colin Stein?

Left by mutual consent!
    Stein was due to lead the forward line for us in the league cup final of 1968 but Hampden caught fire and the game was delayed. By the time the final came aout in the spring of the following year Stein had been sold and Joe was cup-tied.......... We lost 6-2. It was my first cup final and my dad took me home at 6-0.

Just had a look and it's incredible he only got 2 caps. 54 goals in 55 games for Celtic. Also played more times for us than them which I was surprised about.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Stein was due to lead the forward line for us in the league cup final of 1968 but Hampden caught fire and the game was delayed. By the time the final came aout in the spring of the following year Stein had been sold and Joe was cup-tied.......... We lost 6-2. It was my first cup final and my dad took me home at 6-0.
    We really aren't the luckiest team in the world are we!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Just had a look and it's incredible he only got 2 caps. 54 goals in 55 games for Celtic. Also played more times for us than them which I was surprised about.
    That surprised me as well.

226 goals in 383 appearances. Not too shabby.

McBride left Hibs in 1971, apparently because the club were unhappy that he did not want to move from his home in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    That surprised me as well.

226 goals in 383 appearances. Not too shabby.

McBride left Hibs in 1971, apparently because the club were unhappy that he did not want to move from his home in Glasgow.
    It was the Tuesday night game at Liverpool, just before Xmas, when it all kicked off and Willie Mac walked out because he wouldn't drop Joe McBride for the Annfield tie, as per Tom Hart's instructions. Joe McBride was off early January and a couple of weeks later Joe Baker returned with his white boots and that unforgettable game against Eddie Turnbull's table topping Aberdeen.

Pat Stanton tell a story about Joe during a bread shortage in Glasgow. Hibs were due to play Celtic and Joe got the players to buy as many loafs as they could in Edinburgj and take them on the bus. All joes neighbours were waiting outside Parkhead when the bus arrived. That's the type of guy he was.