hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moyes Sacked

I thought he did a good job. Unlucky David lets hope the new boss can match his efforts.
    Cougars!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye but the CEO (the "dealer" on transfers and contracts) was replaced at the same time so Moyes identified targets and Woodward didn't do as well as David Gill might have done and had done in the past!

Not all Moyes fault but in the success game, profits and share price mean everything and that is why he's not being given time IMO!
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Given the above I think Moyes was always going to struggle time to revamp an ageing and creaking squad and he compounded things by emptying all the backroom staff. Remember discussing this with my mates at the time and the consensus was that the time to take the Man U job was after Fergie's successor had messed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by reidy View Post
    Giggs in charge till the end of the season now
    His experience at playing away from home will be invaluable.

Not sure what I think of this to be honest.

On the one hand, it seems the right thing to do. Within the space of a few months, Manchester Utd have gone from being a team that everyone feared playing to one that players and fans alike relish coming up against. The style of football has changed from being fast flowing and exciting to laboured and boring.

Old Trafford used to be a venue that away teams would virtually write off when they were looking through their fixture list. This season, it's been a place that a lot of teams will fancy their chances.

The facts don't lie either;

Everton won there for the first time since 1992
    Newcastle won there for the first time since 1972
    West Brom won there for the first time since 1978
    Swansea won there for the first ever in their history

Against the six teams currently above them, they've picked up just six points this season. Against the same teams last season they picked up twenty points. Whilst they would still be some way off as title challengers, those extra 14 points would currently have them in 4th spot and a coveted Champions League place.

There was the also the comments that Moyes made at different times this season about Liverpool being favourites for the recent match at Old Trafford and also that Manchester City were "at the sort of level his team aspires to" despite being above them less than 12 months before. You would have heard neither of those comments from the mouth of Sir Alex Ferguson.

However, after 26 years of having the same man in charge, a man that many regard as being the greatest football manager of all time, it was always going to be a tough season for Manchester Utd. Whoever took over from Sir Alex Ferguson was always likely to struggle to fill those enormous boots.

The team that was left by Ferguson is also in urgent need of an overhaul. Vidic is going at the end of the season, with Evra possibly following him. Guys like Ferdinand and Giggs are likely to retire in the near future and players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling, Young and Buttner are simply not good enough for where they need to be.

I'm surprised that he wasn't given until around Christmas to see how he could do at the start of next season. I always thought that Manchester Utd was a club that didn't sack managers after a few months in charge.

However I guess this is the nature of football nowadays. Managers don't get time to cut their cloth and make mistakes.

Whoever comes in now has a far easier job than the one Moyes had on his hands last summer. The club is at its lowest ebb for many years at the moment and instead of being compared to the most successful manager in British football history, Moyes' successor will be judged initially on whether he can improve on this season's showing.

It surely can't be hard for Manchester Utd to improve on what's happened this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It was a bizarre appointment in the 1st place.

Limited, in fact almost no, Champions League experience, no trophies won, a poor record against the top 4 and coming from a club who, whilst not a small club, are a million miles from being a Manchester United.

He was never ready to manage what is arguably the biggest club in the world. Feel sorry for him as he was left a poor, ageing squad and was clearly well out his depth.
    Well done Fergie - clearly auld reeking chops was blootered at the time

Quote Originally Posted by reidy View Post
    Giggs in charge till the end of the season now
    First meeting today is meet the players' wives session

There certainly has been precedents of managers of 'smaller' clubs not being able to handle a move to a 'bigger' club. Manager's who specialize in working within a budget and trying to make the most out of cheaper signings and bargain buys sometimes seem to struggle when they have a huge pot of money to play with, it's almost as if it's taking them out of their comfort zone, or a system they were used to. I actually thought one of the mistakes Moyes made was over Rooney. Nobody is worth that amount of money. To me, Moyes has always come across as a reasonable, honest manager, and for all we know he probably knew the writing was on the wall a while ago. Unfortunately nice guys don't win. Ferguson, for all his success, I thought was a loathsome character, and I found Ron Atkinson the same. But these are the type of manager the Man U fans seem to like, and I'm not and never will be a Man U fan so what would I know?

[QUOTE=Trig;3979709]Not sure what I think of this to be honest.

I'm surprised that he wasn't given until around Christmas to see how he could do at the start of next season. I always thought that Manchester Utd was a club that didn't sack managers after a few months in charge.

Maybe they are lining someone up who won't wait until Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    Maybe they are lining someone up who won't wait until Christmas?
    I say that because when Christmas comes, he'll have been in charge for around 18 months. I thought he would be given the opportunity to see what he could do with the signings he would have been planning to make in the summer.

From that point of view, I'm surprised that he wasn't given a bit more time.

Just didnt have it to big for him ,how he recovers will be interesting
    Last edited by cad; 22-04-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I say that because when Christmas comes, he'll have been in charge for around 18 months. I thought he would be given the opportunity to see what he could do with the signings he would have been planning to make in the summer.

From that point of view, I'm surprised that he wasn't given a bit more time.
    He has already blown around 100 million through dodgy signings and failure to get to CL. There's also the fact that players don't want to sign for him.

I think overall his appointment was a bad decision - he didn't have the experience at that level, he didn't have experience of winning trophies or big matches. It was an immediate non-starter for him. The squad was in bad shape and it was possibly the most difficult time for any manager to replace SAF - let alone a manager as 'unqualified' as Moyes.

The squad itself (the sole responsibility of SAF) wasn't built properly. The job left at Manchester Untied was akin to being given the keys to a prime piece of real estate which doesn't have a roof or any plumbing. In theory it's the pinnacle, but in practice it's got too many problems to fix. It's never going to function without some major refurbishing, and it's never going fixed unless you hire the top people to do the job.

David Moyes didn't even have the right toolbox.

I do feel for him as he didn't stand a chance overcoming these problems. He doesn't have the ability as a manager, the pull or the support required to do a job like this, he is a good manager, he's proved that, but he really wasn't the man for the job. At all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    He has already blown around 100 million through dodgy signings and failure to get to CL. There's also the fact that players don't want to sign for him.
    He spent nowhere near that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    69 million = around 100 million?

He spent nowhere near that.
    He doesn't say he's spent that-he says he's blown it due to expenditure and failure to get into the CL-he's right.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    69 million = around 100 million?
    and handed over a huge big payrise to Rooney

He'll not be out of work for long methinks. He hasn't done enough to ruin his good reputation. He was just the wrong man for United.

I can see Newcastle or Villa going for him. I just hope he doesn't go back to Goodison while Roberto heads for OT!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Van Gaal looks the frontrunner, with Klopp having ruled himself out of leaving Dortmund.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    and handed over a huge big payrise to Rooney
    Yeah, because that was everything to do with Moyes

I am not a Man Utd fan and I don't feel sorry for him - he will be well compensated.

However, I would really like to have seen him succeed. The English press often bemoan the fact that there are not enough opportunities for British managers. In Moyes, they have someone who finally got a chance at their biggest league club (and one of the biggest in the world).

I always got the impression they never wanted him to succeed for some reason. I suppose the press are less relevant than the fans because they never wanted him either. He was pishin into the wind right away with the botched signing attempts in the summer. The new CEO seems to have got away without much criticism though?

He done a great job at Everton but he was never accepted and once the players started commenting, particularly Van Persie after the European game, he was dead man walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Van Gaal looks the frontrunner, with Klopp having ruled himself out of leaving Dortmund.
    Not sure how that's going to work. He's currently in charge of Holland and if they do well at the World Cup, he could be in Brazil until around the middle of July.

With the Premiership season beginning around a month after the World Cup final, it won't give him much time to prepare.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Not sure how that's going to work. He's currently in charge of Holland and if they do well at the World Cup, he could be in Brazil until around the middle of July.

With the Premiership season beginning around a month after the World Cup final, it won't give him much time to prepare.
    Very true, and a good point. The World Cup would certainly create a problem.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Moyes never stood a chance trying to fill Ferguson's shoes and match his achievements, especially with the squad he inherited which was past its best IMHO. He's the patsy.

Van Gaal the early favourite at evens for next manager.

Klopp 2nd favourite at 12s.

Think Van Gaal would be a good appointment to steady the ship. He's got his own ups and downs but the trophies on his CV are impressive in their own right so he's not likely to be as easy to criticise as Moyes was.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Van Gaal the early favourite at evens for next manager.

Klopp 2nd favourite at 12s.

Think Van Gaal would be a good appointment to steady the ship. He's got his own ups and downs but the trophies on his CV are impressive in their own right so he's not likely to be as easy to criticise as Moyes was.
    I think utd will look for a long term manager and i dont see van gaal being that,really no idea who they may go for

Moyes could buy a scottish football club and then take a back seat,he should get 30 million pay off from utd so loads of dosh

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Moyes never stood a chance trying to fill Ferguson's shoes and match his achievements, especially with the squad he inherited which was past its best IMHO. He's the patsy.
    He didn't get opportunity to bring in a lot of players ,don t. Know if mo net was there for him to spend and he couldn't attract right players but yes with that squad Fergie knew it was right time to bail out so was always a big ask .United were struggling to match Chelsea and Man City for spending power .
    His new players like Fellini did him no.favours but not qualifying for Champions league was always going to get Shareholders nervous as they need that revenue so he probably knew writing was o he wall Ferguson came in at time they were struggling so wasn't same pressure on him although they nearly sacked him way back .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27123088

Fergie really should just go and enjoy his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    I read yesterday that there was a clause that states he does not get the full 6 years pay.
    He only gets 1 years pay off but still a very tidy sum. Feel sorry for him though, he has had a terribly disappointing season but reckon he should have been given much longer and at least the summer to make more signings.

He will get a good job elsewhere.

Was hearing on SSN that they had trouble attracting top world class players to Old Trafford, maybe Moyes was just not a big enough manager for them and top players didn't fancy working under him, like him or loathe him Sir Alex was always able to attract the top players, winners always want to work with winners, Moyes wasn't a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Yep. And being 'anointed' by Ferguson probably did him no favours in the end.