hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sportsound

First Team Breakthrough hibbypostie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I believe it, from the pretty good sources I have at the club we've missed out on a good number of players due to Rod trying continually to get bargain signings.
    yeah we keep getting told not to believe that but no one can offer a better reason

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it's more to do.with the managers and their signings. A lot of the other clubs have managed a lot better than us in.the transfer market with potentially less money too....

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Sorry are we paying for better players or bringing through youngsters to sell?
    If we paid the going rate for 6 decent spl standard players to build a spine from. We could then fill the rest of the team with youth. Or we could carry on paying less and missing out on some quality and continue to fight relegation every season.

Quote Originally Posted by kentao View Post
    If we paid the going rate for 6 decent spl standard players to build a spine from. We could then fill the rest of the team with youth. Or we could carry on paying less and missing out on some quality and continue to fight relegation every season.
    But we might go bust?

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    But we might go bust?
    Aberdeens not went bust and they managed to get hayes flood rooney all players we were allegedly after with a similar turnover.

Left by mutual consent!
    But we might go bust?

By no paying for decent players Petrie is just saving us from becoming h****s, leeds, Portsmouth, etc, etc.....
    Last edited by Saorsa; 22-04-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post

By no paying for decent players Petrie is just saving us from becoming h****s, leeds, Portsmouth, etc, etc.....

I've said it before, do we sign 10 very average players at £1500 each or 5 pretty good ones at £3000 each, money wise it adds up to the same but our policy of signing very average/poor players cause they're cheap is ruining our club.

I've said it before, do we sign 10 very average players at £1500 each or 5 pretty good ones at £3000 each, money wise it adds up to the same but our policy of signing very average/poor players cause they're cheap is ruining our club.
    Go for quality every time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Go for quality every time.
    Bang on. We need to ship out the rubbish from the squad. From what we have, keep Hanlon, Forster, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Harris, Stanton, Handling and Cummings then sign 5 or 6 good quality players and a couple of squad fillers then just use the youth boys for the rest of the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post

Aye & you forget Sevco

Left by mutual consent!
    Aye & you forget Sevco
    they're one of the etceteras

we only need one good player to make a diference look at what LG Did

Very reassuring to know that there are other Hibby's out there asking the obvious questions in relation to our absent owner and part time chairman. I understand the appreciation of Sir Tom Farmer and in particular his role and effort s in 1990 and 1991. However, it appears our sole objectives are now to just plod on and survive. We need transparency from our absent owner and part time chairman. And I would urge all to listen to the podcast of this show and become concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    Bang on. We need to ship out the rubbish from the squad. From what we have, keep Hanlon, Forster, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Harris, Stanton, Handling and Cummings then sign 5 or 6 good quality players and a couple of squad fillers then just use the youth boys for the rest of the squad.
    Get Hanlon and Stevenson out anaw, they have played their part in this 7 year debacle. We need to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    100% Bang on. Quality new signings should be given responsibility for guiding the youngsters through, with the hope that our youth can step up more often than not.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    But we might go bust?
    Are those our only two options then? Be crap or go bust? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Of course not. But there's folk on here who constantly reference Leeds Portsmouth and so on any time someone advocates spending a few quid extra on decent players.

Oh I believe it, from the pretty good sources I have at the club we've missed out on a good number of players due to Rod trying continually to get bargain signings.

I wonder how we managed to sign Stokes,Riordan,Miller,Craig,Robertson(all internationals by the way)Williams,Vine Tudor-Jones,Heffernan,McPake?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I wonder how we managed to sign Stokes,Riordan,Miller,Craig,Robertson(all internationals by the way)Williams,Vine Tudor-Jones,Heffernan,McPake?
    Sorry to be pedantic but Craig isn't an international and Tudur Jones and McPake are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stokes, pals with Yogi and on the fringes of Ireland squad, 8 caps only.
    Riordan, ex player brought in by Petrie to sell tickets( part of wages paid by farmer )
    Miller, on the way out, near end of his career, went to Australia after us, enough said
    Robertson, languishing in Blackpool reserves, wanted to kick star his career, erm how many caps?? 2
    Williams, came from Colchester, yes the mighty Colchester
    Vine, another players heading down the way, now plying his trade at the huge club called Morton.
    OTJ, 7 caps, now 29, was on loan at Yeovil and Brentford before joining ICT, not exactly setting the heather on fire.
    Heffernan, decent player, zero caps, now 32 yr old and injury prone??
    McPake, Broke his back at Coventry and has struggled ever since, great when we needed him, 1 cap for N Ireland

So before making such stupid statements, have a wee look at the players you're talking about, apart from Stokes, none are real quality, when we get quality, Petrie can't help himself and gets the dosh asap.

Edit, well apart from Riordan obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    The option that no-one likes to see mentioned is to spend the money that we do have better. Let's face it, we have the fourth biggest budget for players in Scotland behind Septic (miles ahead), Aberdeen (marginally more) and Sevco Huns (not even in our league) so lack of money isn't the real issue. It's identifying the right players and not simply those who fancy a holiday at East Mains (until Butcher arrived).

Instead one side yells for us to waste money that we don't have on paying more to the duds that we do sign whilst the other yells that if we pay anyone a penny above the minimum wage we'll be lucky to only follow the Yams into administration and not Huns RIP into liquidation.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Aberdeen Motherwell St Johnstone Inverness etc. seem to do just fine by doing exactly that. Are they being ruined?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Pedant and multiquote alert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That's not pennies though, that's 25 grand over the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Yep.
    It's 26 grand. ******* yamathematicians everywhere

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    It's 26 grand. ******* yamathematicians everywhere
    it is, as well!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Jesus wept, seven of these have us within three points of the play off spot !.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    Jesus wept, seven of these have us within three points of the play off spot !.
    Which of them were you against signing then?

Stokes, pals with Yogi and on the fringes of Ireland squad, 8 caps only.
    Riordan, ex player brought in by Petrie to sell tickets( part of wages paid by farmer )
    Miller, on the way out, near end of his career, went to Australia after us, enough said
    Robertson, languishing in Blackpool reserves, wanted to kick star his career, erm how many caps?? 2
    Williams, came from Colchester, yes the mighty Colchester
    Vine, another players heading down the way, now plying his trade at the huge club called Morton.
    OTJ, 7 caps, now 29, was on loan at Yeovil and Brentford before joining ICT, not exactly setting the heather on fire.
    Heffernan, decent player, zero caps, now 32 yr old and injury prone??
    McPake, Broke his back at Coventry and has struggled ever since, great when we needed him, 1 cap for N Ireland

So before making such stupid statements, have a wee look at the players you're talking about, apart from Stokes, none are real quality, when we get quality, Petrie can't help himself and gets the dosh asap.

Edit, well apart from Riordan obviously.
    I only make stupid statements so that you'll feel at home.

@hibs.net private member
    o.0 really... Wow

And there you've just managed to make another one, well done.

Do you always resort to so called smart ersed humour when someone points out you've made a mistake in a post.

I can accept that there were Hibbies on there but I can't stand listening to guys like Tom English talk about Hibs - they don't watch Hibs, they don't care about Hibs, they don't really know what the problems are - they simply jump on the Hibs-bashing bandwagon because it's an easy target and they can sound mildly hard-hitting on the radio.

Pat Fenlon signed around 10 players last summer - probably out-bidding other SPL clubs for a lot of them wage-wise (eg Craig, OTJ). He was given an actual transfer fee (regardless of how much) to spend on James Collins. He was allowed to build an entire team, as were the managers that preceded him. He was 'backed', we just signed the wrong players. I'm as angry as the next Hibs fan about how poor we are but I am under no illusion that it is our playing budget that is holding us back. It wasn't 'investment' that made John Sutton a good signing for Motherwell (can't believe I just said that) or Gary Warren, James Vincent etc good signings for ICT. It's not about 'investment' and 'backing' (particularly when you have the 3rd biggest budget in the league), it's about strategy, vision and good old-fashioned management. That is what we've lacked for years.

People talk about Aberdeen as if they've suddenly been rewarded with success as a direct result of splashing the cash last summer. They've been a financial basket case for years. One relatively good season and suddenly their model is deemed the way to go? They signed a few decent players but let's just wait and see if their success is sustained over any period of time first.