hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Put it this way, my source would know 100% what is going on.

And by the way your lads are correct in what you have stated in the above post.

That's fine and thankyou
    I meet up with people on a regular basis who have " good contacts " at ER and come out with what amounts to rumours from " Greggs"
    My two lads who are EM are very reluctant to discuss player personal/team matters just as it should be but at the same time will " voice an opinion" which I treat as confidential .
    I know from my own personal experience re football club wages that you have to " barter" ( for the want of a better word) as best you can unless you employ an agent which costs money !!
    The only difference was we were on a " maximum wage"
    The maximum wage was increased to £14 (1951), £15 (1953), £17 (1957) and £20 (1958)
    In 1951 I was offered a rise to £6.17.0d plus £ 0.10. 0d a point bonus . through a bit of bartering got £7.17.00d with no bonus !!!!!!!!!!!!
    We didn't win many games so had a guaranteed wage
    Thought I was well of when a Engineer Fitter was on £6 for a 40 hour week !!
    At the time the maximum wage was done away with at the beginning of the sixties, leading players in Scotland could earn as much at Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie as they could at Ibrox or Parkhead; there was therefore little financial incentive to up sticks and move to the OF or England

Wonder what the " Famous Five " would have earned 60 years later

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    I read it as on £300 but wants £800.

I reckon £800 is fair to be honest.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    FFS. Are we now setting the players wages too :
    Whaes like us ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Presumably that's the source of your leaks then.
    Like the early team news etc? Nope.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    That's fine and thankyou
    I meet up with people on a regular basis who have " good contacts " at ER and come out with what amounts to rumours from " Greggs"
    My two lads who are EM are very reluctant to discuss player personal/team matters just as it should be but at the same time will " voice an opinion" which I treat as confidential .
    I know from my own personal experience re football club wages that you have to " barter" ( for the want of a better word) as best you can unless you employ an agent which costs money !!
    The only difference was we were on a " maximum wage"
    The maximum wage was increased to £14 (1951), £15 (1953), £17 (1957) and £20 (1958)
    In 1951 I was offered a rise to £6.17.0d plus £ 0.10. 0d a point bonus . through a bit of bartering got £7.17.00d with no bonus !!!!!!!!!!!!
    We didn't win many games so had a guaranteed wage
    Thought I was well of when a Engineer Fitter was on £6 for a 40 hour week !!
    At the time the maximum wage was done away with at the beginning of the sixties, leading players in Scotland could earn as much at Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie as they could at Ibrox or Parkhead; there was therefore little financial incentive to up sticks and move to the OF or England

Wonder what the " Famous Five " would have earned 60 years later
    A very interesting post, especially the bit about the wages in the fifties. I could read these type of posts all day and night.

I take your point regarding bartering but I honestly feel that Petrie takes it too far at times.

I know of a couple of youngsters who took their Dads along to their meetings and Petrie took full advantage if their inexperience. Not so much their basic but appearance money which can make a big difference to a youngsters take home pay. I realise it is part of Rodder's remit to keep expenditure down but with some players I think he just does it out of devilment.

I can recall once an agent had a few of the youngsters on his books and arranged for them all to meet Petrie on the same day. His logic was to take them in one at a time but kept his better ones back to the end so he knew what he could get them. Players in the past have been told not to discuss their wages with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Me too.

With incentives built in, eg bonus or rise after x number of appearances or u21 caps. A lower starting wage protects the club and the incentives would allow the player to earn more when he has shown he deserves it.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Same here. A very good amount for Hobs player of his age who has just broke into the team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Me too.
    Me three

If Sam Stanton leaves because the board aren't giving him a fair deal ( been out best player since he came in) then that optimises everything wrong with the club

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    I read it as on £300 but wants £800.
    Laughable offer considering we're paying Nelson in the region of 3K. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he walks and we miss out a very good prospect.

This young laddie is for me the only positive this season. That we could lose him through greed is indicative of all that's wrong at ER just now.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Laughable offer considering we're paying Nelson in the region of 3K. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he walks and we miss out a very good prospect.
    Are we honestly paying Michael Nelson 3k a week?! My heart truly sinks at the thought of that!

Left by mutual consent!
    Sam Stanton can trap a ball - that kind of 'potential' puts him ahead of quite a lot of our senior players right now so hopefully we get him signed soon-as !!

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Are we honestly paying Michael Nelson 3k a week?! My heart truly sinks at the thought of that!
    to put it another way, almost 400 full price season tickets per year sign up, quick.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    He was only on a small fracton of that at Kilmarnock and even they thought he wasn't very good.

I was gobsmacked when we signed him and just about fainted when I realized how much he was on.

Left by mutual consent!
    He was only on a small fracton of that at Kilmarnock and even they thought he wasn't very good.

I was gobsmacked when we signed him and just about fainted when I realized how much he was on.
    All of this

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Not what I heard from EM's - given his age and experience
    whats age got to do with it." If your good enough your old enough "

I cant remember the footballer i am quoting think it might have been Graham Rix !!

I don't know if I really believe Nelson is on 3k per week - but you never know. I said it on here after the first time I saw him play for us against Motherwell in first home game of the season - I think he is the poorest centre half I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

I've heard it said we actually paid a fee for him!! Now someone is saying he's on 3k per week!!!

We wonder why our squad is full of players brought in from other clubs who are rubbish! We have management teams who make these kind of decisions - repeatedly. For me - it is precisely these kind of individual errors (from managers) that end up with us being in the mess we're now in. How can someone who "knows football" sign someone like Nelson for a club hoping to be in the top four/six of the SPFL?? Signing Nelson was perhaps sufficient grounds on its own in my opinion to condemn Fenlon to the sack.
    Last edited by GreenOnions; 10-04-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I don't know if I really believe Nelson is on 3k per week - but you never know. I said it on here after the first time I saw him play for us against Motherwell in first home game of the season - I think he is the poorest centre half I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

I've heard it said we actually paid a fee for him!! Now someone is saying he's on 3k per week!!!

We wonder why our squad is full of players brought in from other clubs who are rubbish! We have management teams who make these kind of decisions - repeatedly. For me - it is precisely these kind of individual errors (from managers) that end up with us being in the mess we're now in. How can someone who "knows football" sign someone like Nelson for a club hoping to be in the top four/six of the SPFL?? Signing Nelson was perhaps sufficient grounds on its own in my opinion to condemn Fenlon to the sack.
    Nelson and Heff were panic buys probably instigated by jimmy nichol as they felt that we needed experience to avoid being in bottom six again .both have another year on very good contracts and bothe are pushing into thier 30s It's easy to see why then jettisoning Fenlon and nichol Scott Thompson and Fenlons previous assistant can't even remember his name and then buying out the current management teams contracts and presumably upping what they were paid compared to what Fenlon got why we have little left in kitty now players Think T B took gamble to in January window and didn't want to bring in more players so he had maximum spending power in the summer as he can't be sure of moving Nelson and some others on .
    It's that systemic failure to get right management team in that has led to last minute panic buys tha have rarely worked out for us and eventually if you spend too Mutch time in bottom six then one of these seasons you run risk of getting dragged to bottom .

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was told on Saturday that Sam has agreed a 3 yr deal but as yet not signed it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I was told on Saturday that Sam has agreed a 3 yr deal but as yet not signed it.
    No doubt Petrie has taken it off the table since.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He will rightly want to make sure we aremathematically safe before committing to three years .

No.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    He will rightly want to make sure we aremathematically safe before committing to three years .
    That's easy for you to say!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

Not even remotely close.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not even remotely close.
    Sean O'Hanlon was much worse

Nelson still is pretty awful too though. We need a defence that know how to pass the ball. Hopefully if we get a RB we can see Forster make progress as a CB.

If he's asking for 800 i'd rather give that to him as he'll be a main stay in the side for however long he stays with us for. 800 quid for a quality young talent with a good potential to generate a transfer fee. Or we could spend 2/3k on a journeyman midfielder that will never be bought from us and most likely not care when results go to *****

I know what I want.

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar
    TB when he came in was surprised at how much certain players were being paid, I guess if he's trying to reduce basic salaries with more bonus incentives then SS may be unhappy at what he is being offered as a basic. Really hope it can be resolved and he signs for us.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    TB when he came in was surprised at how much certain players were being paid, I guess if he's trying to reduce basic salaries with more bonus incentives then SS may be unhappy at what he is being offered as a basic. Really hope it can be resolved and he signs for us.
    You certainly wouldn't want a win bonus in your Hibs contract right now! Do any of the players even have these? They probably wouldn't know if they do...