hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Should Rod Petrie remain as the Chief Executive of the club?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he should stay

100 47.62%
  • No, he should leave

110 52.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I have to say I am surprised at the findings of the poll so far. Thinking of the Hibbies I know who don't post much and haven't voted and those who aren't members of Hibs.net, I don't know anyone who wants Petrie to stay.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many other Scottish Teams - gave the manager a couple of hundred thousand to splash on a striker ??

Mistakes have Been made.. but I think with all good intentions...

They are Not going Pay a small fortune and sack terry and co and walk away from this..
    Outwith Celtic?

None, including Hibs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Rod Petrie is not the Chief Executive of Hibernian Football Club.

As with all polls if you ask the wrong question you will get the wrong answer.

Didnt think I had the right to vote here as I only go to a few games a season(trying hard to change that).I wrote an email to the club after the derby.
    i asked if the club would officially complain regarding officials and pointed out other derby decisions.
    i explained I am trying to encourage my 13 year old daughter (again)into us getting season tickets for next season and feel I'm losing the battle,I have had no proper reply as yet.
    i met rod Petrie at the last game we played at the old love st and he came across as a decent/dedicated/ambassador/fan. We lost that game 2-1 (tommy Craig's last game)and he was moaning about how poor we were that day.
    i have voted yes but only because I think what's done is done and TB needs next season to really show what he can do,after that ????

Blog Entries
    I voted that he should go but know that there's no chance of this ever happening while Farmer is around. The age-old argument that Petrie runs a tight business and that at least we should always have a club at ER where we can go to view mediocrity or waste bandwidth moaning about mediocrity drags on. If the product was more appealing it would be a different kettle of fish altogether.

He should go, how many times have we lost out on decent players like Rooney and flood to teams like Aberdeen purely due to wages and contracts? Then the fans get on Petries back and he then gives the manager money to panic buy and sign utter ***** on decent contracts when it should have been spent on a better proven player. Clubs a shambles and has been for years.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He should go, how many times have we lost out on decent players like Rooney and flood to teams like Aberdeen purely due to wages and contracts? Then the fans get on Petries back and he then gives the manager money to panic buy and sign utter ***** on decent contracts when it should have been spent on a better proven player. Clubs a shambles and has been for years.
    Why is this now a .net FACT? I don't remember reading Rooney or Flood coming out and saying Hibs were too tight in contract negotiations. I havent heard from anyone that that's the case infact, unless we're now counting rumours as facts, well as long as they show Hibs (or Rod) in a bad light.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Rod Petrie is not the Chief Executive of Hibernian Football Club.

As with all polls if you ask the wrong question you will get the wrong answer.
    Who cares what his title is, he holds all the power. That's what people are voting on and they ken what they are voting on (without any free 'advice') and that is whether he should or shouldnae hold that power.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 09-04-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I have to say I am surprised at the findings of the poll so far. Thinking of the Hibbies I know who don't post much and haven't voted and those who aren't members of Hibs.net, I don't know anyone who wants Petrie to stay.
    I could say the same for the opposite argument. The only people I know who blame Petrie for everything are on .net.

Left by mutual consent!
    I ken dozens of people who dinnae go any mair and he is if no their main reason, he is certainly one of them.

Does Rod Petrie pay attention to polls on a fans website?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I voted that he should go but know that there's no chance of this ever happening while Farmer is around. The age-old argument that Petrie runs a tight business and that at least we should always have a club at ER where we can go to view mediocrity or waste bandwidth moaning about mediocrity drags on. If the product was more appealing it would be a different kettle of fish altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Why is this now a .net FACT? I don't remember reading Rooney or Flood coming out and saying Hibs were too tight in contract negotiations. I havent heard from anyone that that's the case infact, unless we're now counting rumours as facts, well as long as they show Hibs (or Rod) in a bad light.
    You need to look at the posts re Flood then as I certainly said it at the time. Rooney was only offered a loan by Hibs - TB has said so. Dons offered improved terms than he was on. I wonder how that has worked out for the Sheep?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post

You need to look at the posts re Flood then as I certainly said it at the time. Rooney was only offered a loan by Hibs - TB has said so. Dons offered improved terms than he was on. I wonder how that has worked out for the Sheep?
    I suppose I should start by saying I'm not even a fan of Willo Flood. I think he's average. I think if you swapped out Willo Flood with Liam Craig or Scott Robertson into the Aberdeen team, they'd look just as good.

The bit in bold. It's quite clearly worked out well. It's Petries fault is it? Let's completely ignore the fact Butcher said he wanted him on loan. He must be lying cos this is quite obvious tight arse Rod Petries fault. Is that how it is aye?

Incredible that the vote is nearly neck and neck, scary and defo yam infiltration.

Stability?

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Unless there is better option then he should stay. Quite simply.....it could be a lot worse. Stability is what you want from business side of things.
    Agree with TQM's plummeting attendance response.

I did have to ponder before casting my vote which was that it is time for him to go.

How many managers in the past 6 years? How many journeyman players who have been, shall we say 'disappointing? How many players have we sold on? Falling crowds. Not exactly business stability. Stability comes from putting a good product on the field for a sustained period.

I will give credit for the obvious improvement in the bricks and mortar of the club. However, I think it is time when a slightly more imaginative approach is required. I think Petrie now has developed his own financial formula and is sticking to it regardless of the teams actual needs. Occasionally Hibs are going to have to gamble as in the Griffiths situation I am not saying we would have gotten him but it seems we never even tried. The day of picking up gems for 75-100k are gone. Of course a team can be lucky and get even get a freebie, or a real cheap signing (usually from us) and it turns out great and then it is a huge bonus, but it cannot be a long term team building strategy. Occasionally we are also going to have to say to a player who wants to leave....'tough, you are seeing out your contract here'. We need to get a much more imaginative team with regards to foreign fields. Even now we only ever seemed to be associated with domestic names from teams like St. Johnstones, Falkirk, etc. I know Butcher just got three English loans but he had effectively just arrived at the club and the time available to him forced his hand.

Even as a club within the Lothian communities I think we are failing to show imagination. Our team, or even our U20's, should be hopping on buses and visiting kids hospitals and local regional schools 'unannounced', handing out balls and kids strips etc, playing more fun games for charities, anything to widen our fan base. Hibs are a good 'club' to support. In this time of uncertainty for our city neighbours we should be showing the community the positive side of Edinburgh football. Instead we watch our team disintegrate pretty much on a yearly basis with the occasional bright period that seem to be getting shorter.

There is something wrong at Hibs. Managers seem unable to change it. Players who, let's be honest, have been half decent prior to coming to ER and have been at least reliable and effective now don't even look semi professional standard. Our record at ER the past couple of years is simply embarrassing. The shambolic performaces of the past several years are simply embarrassing. Talk of turning Easter Road into a fortress is laughable. The only thing we can keep out is fans.

But I come here to praise Hibs....not to bury them. I was underwhelmed by the Willamson, Fenlon and Butcher appointments but I am not going to give up on Butcher and his team yet. He deserves this summer and next season. I am sure he is stunned by the pall of defeat that hangs over our squad. Like all Hibs fans I am disappointed with the failure to improve the basic organization of the team though it seemed to have turned around just before the Christmas period. Maybe we just have to accept that some of the players we have simply are not good enough and no matter how much coaching and spirit building someone tries to instil in them they are unable to respond. I respect that Butcher did not 'force' a quick buy in the last transfer to please the fans. Loans are not disastrous as they are not binding beyond the end of the season.

I appreciate that I drifted from the 'should he stay or should he go now' topic but I just felt it necessary to say that the managing executive is responsible for the overall progress of the business which includes all the staff decisions. The buck stops at Petries desk and as I have said in previous postings he has not exactly proven hinslef a financial genius with great and imaginative revenue creation for Hibs. He was the lucky recipient of that Mowbray period that allowed him, Petrie, to sell off a few players for a few million and make changes to the ground and develop East Mains.

I do not wish to appear to 'blame' Petrie. We have a nice stadium. great training facilities in place. I just think with regards to the product on the field it is time for a more flexible and imaginative approach. Not a let's put Hibs in hock strategy, but watching crowds slowly decrease even hampers any future manager's ability to sign decent players.

But maybe we should be looking to the man who said he wishes he had a 100 Petries. Even as a successful businessman, if not an 'interested fan' surely he wont stand by and watch his club die on the field. Time to call Mr Farmer to account. Thanks but please take an interest or sell to someone who will.

Ok, I know I have rambled on, but like all on here it is just out of frustration. It is hard for an outsider like me to pinpoint exactly what is wrong at Easter Road.....but something is wrong. Answers on a postcard please.........

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Incredible that the vote is nearly neck and neck, scary and defo yam infiltration.
    Aye of course there is. The poll isnt coming out quite how some people expected and obviously those of us who voted that he should stay are undercover yams. We've been found out good and proper now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Lets not, people are entitled tae their opinions whether others agree with them or not.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Took me a while to ponder this but for me, its time for Rod to move on. I appreciate everything he has done for the club and am quite happy for him to remain a shareholder but we need a new chairman.Rod is too soft for me! He does not appear to be hard with players in terms of performance and discipline; tough with the SFA when we have been quite obviously cheated and does not lead from the front when all is quite literally up in the air.

We need a strong hand, a football minded individual with a disciplined performance related view on how a team should work and play together. A freshness about the place that will take away the rotten stench of failure that has been lurking about for too long now!

Thanks Rod for all your hard work and sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy but you just have to get on and do it!
    Last edited by MrSmith; 09-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I could say the same for the opposite argument. The only people I know who blame Petrie for everything are on .net.
    Blaming him for everything?

I don't think that the folk I know are particularly unrepresentative of your average Hibbie.

Gamer IDs

I don't think that the folk I know are particularly unrepresentative of your average Hibbie.
    This poll (small sample I know) might suggest otherwise.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    For me, he has to go. We need to look at the bigger picture. As long as Rod stays, nothing will change.

Sure, you can argue "but at least we'll exist for many years to come". But for what? What good is existing, when there is nobody left that actually wants to go to the games?

I suppose I should start by saying I'm not even a fan of Willo Flood. I think he's average. I think if you swapped out Willo Flood with Liam Craig or Scott Robertson into the Aberdeen team, they'd look just as good.

The bit in bold. It's quite clearly worked out well. It's Petries fault is it? Let's completely ignore the fact Butcher said he wanted him on loan. He must be lying cos this is quite obvious tight arse Rod Petries fault. Is that how it is aye?
    TB said he was unable to offer him a permanent deal - and only a loan.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    TB said he was unable to offer him a permanent deal - and only a loan.
    You got a link to that TQM? I'm not saying you're making it up, I just dont remember reading that anywhere.

You got a link to that TQM? I'm not saying you're making it up, I just dont remember reading that anywhere.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...l-adam-3053146

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...deal-1-3281432

He says that we couldn't offer a contract and/or pay money for Rooney.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...l-adam-3053146

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...deal-1-3281432

He says that we couldn't offer a contract and/or pay money for Rooney.
    Well this says enough for me

“A load of rubbish,” stressed Butcher. “I spoke to Adam’s agent and he wanted a permanent deal, whereas we are looking more at loan deals. But we never got around to talking figures or anything like that,” he added. “I couldn’t commit to a long- term contract, albeit I’ve worked with him before and I was optimistic he would come to us on loan.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well this says enough for me
    says enough for me too.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    says enough for me too.
    We agree on independance DD, we'll just have to agree to differ on the much bigger matter of Petrie

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    That link is hillarous. So we don't actually get "out bidded" for players, because it doesn't even reach that stage when we tell them that we're only offering them a loan deal.

I shouldn't laugh. But this just sums up everything that is wrong with the way that Petrie runs the club.
    Last edited by Hibercelona; 09-04-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    We agree on independance DD, we'll just have to agree to differ on the much bigger matter of Petrie

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    That link is hillarous. So we don't actually get "out bidded" for players, because it doesn't even reach that stage when we tell them that we're only offering them a loan deal.

I shouldn't laugh. But this just somes up everything that is wrong with the way that Petrie runs the club.
    Butcher says we were only offering loans, the question is why. I dinnae believe for a minute Butcher wouldnae have wanted him in and made the offer if he could have got him on a permanent contract. We were offering loans because that's all we could afford.

Other teams can offer deals in january for decent players, we can only afford loans because once again our money is being spent on new management teams while we're still paying off the previous duds, that's why there's never anything in the pot.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 09-04-2014 at 11:32 AM.