hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: #petrieout

@hibs.net private member
    I appreciate the good work Rod has done after he led us to the £18m debt. The stadium and training centre are his legacy but I think its time for a change. It appears he is stale and that Hibs are on a downwards spiral. New blood new ideas new direction is needed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aye, it's time for a leadership change. The last five years are unacceptable and we stare a relegation play off in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeshibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you will give him credit for the cup success , plus all the other finals we have been in????? ,yes its tough at the moment but RP did not make us play like that last night,
    Ok, if he is responsible for the finals he is responsible where we are just now

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Prove it didn't happen.

I spent last night with Liz Hurley.

Prove it DIDN'T happen.

He didn't back the player revolt, he met with them out of professional courtesy, whereby they were swiftly told Collins was the manager, and tough titties if they didnae like it. I can't prove it as I didn't video tape my conversation with the person who told me, suffice to say they'd have known.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    It did happen Collins walked because his chairman did not back him. It's been reported from people with sources that it did happen. That's good enough for me. You believe what you want though. I'll stick with my version.
    If it has been reported as you say then you will be able to prove it then? Until such times I shall believe that it didn't happen because, erm, there is no proof.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    I really have trouble with "all he has done". Under his watch, he disenfranchised the support to the extent that he had to hire consultants to pull it together. He employed a useless huddy in Jim Duffy
    Duffy wasn't a Petrie appointment.

... and watched our debt rise to a mind boggling 18M+ before announcing we were in trouble. Even when Rangers were offering 2M for Kenny Miller, he was sprouting that "Hibs do not need to sell", with Tom Farmer on board, most took him on his word, meanwhile after year spent mainly in the reserves, Rangers sell him for a 33% profit. McLeish wrongly gets most of the stick for this debt, he brought in more money through player sales than he spent
    McLeish spent more on player wages than any other manager in Hibs history. I don't blame him for it because the expenditure had to be approved, but that's what bumped up the debt.

He then got lucky with "the golden generation", it was 36 years before that, that the club had brought through that amount of talented youngsters & it'll probably be the same until we do so again.
    So anything good is "lucky" and anything bad is his fault?

He then cocks up Derek Riordan's contract negations by at first withdrawing an agreed extension, then, nine months later, refuse to pay the money that the player had lost, we end up with paltry compensation from Celtic rather than the real transfer cash, a player with his reputation at the time would command.
    It was Tony Mowbray who took the original offer off the table. People seem to forget thet Mowbray didn't have the best of relationships with Deek, which probably had something to do with the later contract negotations. People also forget that RP/the board forked out a couple of years later to buy Deek back.

Petrie gets lauded for the money he brought in selling the GG, yet Mad Vlad got far more for Craig Gordon & it was only through John Collins influence, we started to hold out for more realistic fee's.
    I don't think RP needed any negotiating lessons from JC - just look at the players JC chose to spend good money on.

You get some idea with all the exposure he was having after the appointment of TM, when we would see him time and again taking the plaudits for the successful method used in selecting managers, it was ironic that he hasn't been so publicity seeking since then and even then, with all the money coming in during TM spell, he didn't back him with the two quality signings that TM wanted to take the club forward to the next level. We instead sold and have seen the club decline to the level of the last few years.
    Say what you want about RP, but he's definitely not one to seek publicity. He's not comfortable at all in the public eye.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    [QUOTE=Ray-in-ireland;3963550]I really have trouble with "all he has done". Under his watch, he disenfranchised the support to the extent that he had to hire consultants to pull it together. He employed a useless huddy in Jim Duffy and watched our debt rise to a mind boggling 18M+ before announcing we were in trouble. Even when Rangers were offering 2M for Kenny Miller, he was sprouting that "Hibs do not need to sell", with Tom Farmer on board, most took him on his word, meanwhile after year spent mainly in the reserves, Rangers sell him for a 33% profit. McLeish wrongly gets most of the stick for this debt, he brought in more money through player sales than he spent

He then got lucky with "the golden generation", it was 36 years before that, that the club had brought through that amount of talented youngsters & it'll probably be the same until we do so again. He then cocks up Derek Riordan's contract negations by at first withdrawing an agreed extension, then, nine months later, refuse to pay the money that the player had lost, we end up with paltry compensation from Celtic rather than the real transfer cash, a player with his reputation at the time would command.

Petrie gets lauded for the money he brought in selling the GG, yet Mad Vlad got far more for Craig Gordon & it was only through John Collins influence, we started to hold out for more realistic fee's.

You get some idea with all the exposure he was having after the appointment of TM, when we would see him time and again taking the plaudits for the successful method used in selecting managers, it was ironic that he hasn't been so publicity seeking since then and even then, with all the money coming in during TM spell, he didn't back him with the two quality signings that TM wanted to take the club forward to the next level. We instead sold and have seen the club decline to the level of the last few years.[/QUOTE}

Totally agree with you, Ray.

We've had a succession of managers since Mowbray, none of whom lasted more than 18 months. Each one has signed player after player after player - mostly in the bargain-basement of the transfer market. Even players with reasonable pedigrees before they signed for us have under-performed.

We have a modern stadium, a modern training complex, and a crappy team that looks odds-on for the Championship next season.

This has been coming for a long time, but whenever anyone has tried to sound the alarm, they get called 'doom-and-gloomers', accused of being 'yammish', told they're not 'real' Hibs fans because 'real' Hibs fans wouldn't post 'negative' posts about the club.

There's a poster on this thread saying that 'nothing about Hibs can be embarrassing'. REALLY? Well, I watched last night on TV - sorry, but Farmer and Petrie get not a penny from me ever again - they're within a couple of seasons or so of destroying the team I've followed for half a century and I have not an ounce of respect for either of them right now - they need to GO, NOW, and let someone who has a glimmering about how to run a football team and who REALLY CARES take over.

WHAT I SAW WAS EMBARRASSING. Beaten 2-0, going on 5 or 6. The team showing every sign of having given up, a team heading for the play-off's, looking like a team that's going to LOSE in the play-off's. Supporters depressed and apathetic because they really don't expect anything else from the clowns who've been running their football team for far too long now.

How difficult is it for the complacent ones to understand that when the players change, the managers change, the rest of the coaching staff change, and things still get worse and worse and worse, then the problem probably lies with the people who DON'T change - the owner, chairman, and board?

And before anyone tells me that there have been numerous changes to the board, the main man has stayed the same, supported and endorsed by the owner.

They don't change, and the buck stops with them.

They've had control of Hibs for how many years? Too many. Well, the results of their methods and attitudes are now plain to see.

They've brought me to the brink of walking away because I really can't take any more of their incompetence and complacency and lack of concern for Hibs as they really should be, and the smug assumption that just because I've gone along in the past regardless of what they've been doing to my team, I'll continue to go along, pay my money, cheer the minor successes that even they manage to achieve from time to time, and always come back for more.

That's what really annoys me - the assumption that somehow the fans owe THEM the loyalty and commitment they refuse to give to the team.

And it's ALL about the team, not the club as such, but the team. Because the only reason for a football club's existence is to put a team on the pitch. That's how the club's judged, that's what matters - the team. Petrie and Farmer don't seem to understand that, not even after all this time.

I want Petrie gone, and if Farmer doesn't understand that, and there's no other option but the one he offers, then I'm sorry, but I see no decent future for the team.

As a great man said in a different context a long time ago -

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately - depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the Name of God, go!"
    Last edited by --------; 08-04-2014 at 12:01 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    If it has been reported as you say then you will be able to prove it then? Until such times I shall believe that it didn't happen because, erm, there is no proof.
    No problem. It's all about opinions.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Duffy wasn't a Petrie appointment.

McLeish spent more on player wages than any other manager in Hibs history. I don't blame him for it because the expenditure had to be approved, but that's what bumped up the debt.

So anything good is "lucky" and anything bad is his fault?

It was Tony Mowbray who took the original offer off the table. People seem to forget thet Mowbray didn't have the best of relationships with Deek, which probably had something to do with the later contract negotations. People also forget that RP/the board forked out a couple of years later to buy Deek back.

I don't think RP needed any negotiating lessons from JC - just look at the players JC chose to spend good money on.

Say what you want about RP, but he's definitely not one to seek publicity. He's not comfortable at all in the public eye.
    One thing, I haven't got time to address the rest as I'm off to work, McLeish wage bill, Hibs had about 50 odd players on there books, most signed by Duffy & before and not used. McLeish brought in a profit of almost 4.5M on transfers, that would have paid a great proportion of his players wages, if not all.

[QUOTE=Doddie;3963674]
    I really have trouble with "all he has done". Under his watch, he disenfranchised the support to the extent that he had to hire consultants to pull it together. He employed a useless huddy in Jim Duffy and watched our debt rise to a mind boggling 18M+ before announcing we were in trouble. Even when Rangers were offering 2M for Kenny Miller, he was sprouting that "Hibs do not need to sell", with Tom Farmer on board, most took him on his word, meanwhile after year spent mainly in the reserves, Rangers sell him for a 33% profit. McLeish wrongly gets most of the stick for this debt, he brought in more money through player sales than he spent

He then got lucky with "the golden generation", it was 36 years before that, that the club had brought through that amount of talented youngsters & it'll probably be the same until we do so again. He then cocks up Derek Riordan's contract negations by at first withdrawing an agreed extension, then, nine months later, refuse to pay the money that the player had lost, we end up with paltry compensation from Celtic rather than the real transfer cash, a player with his reputation at the time would command.

You get some idea with all the exposure he was having after the appointment of TM, when we would see him time and again taking the plaudits for the successful method used in selecting managers, it was ironic that he hasn't been so publicity seeking since then and even then, with all the money coming in during TM spell, he didn't back him with the two quality signings that TM wanted to take the club forward to the next level. We instead sold and have seen the club decline to the level of the last few years.[/QUOTE}

Totally agree with you, Ray.

We've had a succession of managers since Mowbray, none of whom lasted more than 18 months. Each one has signed player after player after player - mostly in the bargain-basement of the transfer market. Even players with reasonable pedigrees before they signed for us have under-performed.

We have a modern stadium, a modern training complex, and a crappy team that looks odds-on for the Championship next season.

This has been coming for a long time, but whenever anyone has tried to sound the alarm, they get called 'doom-and-gloomers', accused of being 'yammish', told they're not 'real' Hibs fans because 'real' Hibs fans wouldn't post 'negative' posts about the club.

There's a poster on this thread saying that 'nothing about Hubs can be embarrassing'. REALLY? Well, I watched last night on TV - sorry, but Farmer and Petrie get not a penny from me ever again - they're within a couple of seasons or so of destroying the club I've followed for half a century and I have not an ounce of respect for either of them right now - they need to GO, NOW, and let someone who has a glimmering about how to run a football team and who REALLY CARES take over.

WHAT I SAW WAS EMBARRASSING. Beaten 2-0, going on 5 or 6. The team showing every sign of having given up, a team heading for the play-off's, looking like a team that's going to LOSE in the play-off's. Supporters depressed and apathetic because they really don't expect anything else from the clowns who've been running their football team for far too long now.

How difficult is it to understand that when the players change, the managers change, the rest of the coaching staff change, and things still get worse and worse and worse, then the problem probably lies with the people who DON'T change - the owner, chairman, and board?

And before anyone tells me that there have been numerous changes to the board, the main man has stayed the same, supported and endorsed by the owner. They don't change, and the buck stops with them.

PETRIE OUT, NOW!
    But how far will we have to deteriorate until the penny drops ?, my worry is if we go down we will be there for a long time with this lot at the helm, talk about a dead hand on the tiller !.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    How about backing a players revolt against Collins and refusing to sign players on permanent deals and only sanctioning loans. He has no ambition to take this club forward. We need someone who has ambition and want the club to succeed in the league. Not settle for the lower half of the table and occasional cup final appearance. #petrieout
    Ah the classic backing the players revolt urban myth say it enough and it becomes fact, sorry I meant FACT!!! #hashtagsonaforumisanonsense
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    Think it is time for a change. 10 years at the top is more than enough.

It isn't likely to happen though as he owns 10% of the company and STF seems to have complete confidence for some unknown reason.

Lots of decent stewardship but lack of vision and unable to inspire confidence or managerial stability. Time to go and be replaced by someone more determined rather than relying on marketing and spin.
    My boss has been in his position for around 30 years reckon I will go in after lunch and tell him to bolt
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Where did is say it was fact sorry FACT

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    One thing, I haven't got time to address the rest as I'm off to work, McLeish wage bill, Hibs had about 50 odd players on there books, most signed by Duffy & before and not used. McLeish brought in a profit of almost 4.5M on transfers, that would have paid a great proportion of his players wages, if not all.
    For McLeish's first full season in charge (1st division), our wages/turnover ratio was at 98.4% which fell to just under 80% for the remainder of his time at ER.

£4.5m wouldn't have covered that.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    My boss has been in his position for around 30 years reckon I will go in after lunch and tell him to bolt
    Is your boss running his company into the ground?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The club are well aware of what is posted on here.
    If they weren't they would deserve to be sacked.

Imagine any business having access to this level of 'customer' insight and just ignoring it. Although, at times it does seem as if the club don't have a clue what the supporters want...

Where did is say it was fact sorry FACT
    You were presenting it as a reason for Rod to go so assume you believe it to be true ?

Left by mutual consent!
    and would he still be there if he was? (unless it's his company of course)

Yes I believe it to be true, along with many others. Doesn't mean it's fact and I never posted it as fact. Stop making things up.

Are Hibs being run into the ground ?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    and would he still be there if he was? (unless it's his company of course)
    No chance. He'd be moved on for new blood. Exactly what we need at hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    nah, we're a shining example of success.

Yes I believe it to be true, along with many others. Doesn't mean it's fact and I never posted it as fact. Stop making things up.
    If you are presenting it as a reason to sack someone surely it has to be a fact ? Or it's simply hearsay

Yes. Failure after failure. Penny pinching to the extreme. Lack of ambition loanees instead of showing ambition to pay good wages and get players in on permanent deals. Rooney and further back Griffiths are prime examples of this.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    This now has an increasing sense of inevitability about it. Perhaps should have gone after stadium complete and certainly backing Calderwood to me stands out in particular. Not without flaw but I think he did back managers on the whole Hibstory will record his mixed legacy and what he learned and brought to the table.

I understand and the frustration I was as gutted as the next man last night. I would ask though what's the point in ditching now? Let's focus our energies in staying up then look to other things?
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 08-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

If you are presenting it as a reason to sack someone surely it has to be a fact ? Or it's simply hearsay
    I'm presenting it as one of the reasons hibs and Petrie must sever ties. We've been stagnant for too long now.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    nah, we're a shining example of success.
    Two different things DD, the thing is I agree it's sh$$e but Rod is the owners boy so even bringing in someone else would result in the club being run in the same way, as per the owners wishes

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This now has an increasing sense of inevitability about it. Perhaps should have gone after stadium complete and certainly backing Calderwood to me stands out in particular. Not without flaw but I think he did back managers on the whole Hibstory will record his mixed legacy and what he learned and brought to the table.

I understand and the frustration I was as gutted as the next man last night. I would ask though what's the point in ditching now? Let's focus our energies in staying up then look to other thugs?
    Do you think if we are relegated then Petrie will allow us to push the boat out and sign decent players to get us out that league which would be very difficult. We need it sorted now, not when we end up in the championship.

why not instead of wasting time moaning about it on here, do something about it??

protests, demo's, banners at games. despite all the moaning on here ive never seen one. (apart from the one held by about 15 folk after the game earlier this year)