hibs.net Messageboard

89th Min Substitution?

Since i have had time to take in the debacle of tonights game, something's still worrying me and i need help to understand why it happened?

A lot of emotions passed through me whilst i sat there watching the game unfold, embarrassment, humiliation, frustration and sheer bloody unbelievable bewilderment.

As they went off at half time to boos i thought the manager would act and make a substitution or two at the start of the second half.

After all he had a full Scottish International midfield player sitting on his bench, whilst he too was watching the drivel taking part in the game. But no we had to endure another half of torture with no thought of changing the set up in any way

The game was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and bring others into play with a short accurate cross or pass.

Kevin Thomson is a good midfielder, as good as we have got at Easter Road but this manager will NOT bring him on to the field of play.

At Tynecastle Hibs did not start to play or even look like a football team till he came on late in the second half he kept hold of the ball and brought those around him into the game. Ever since he has sat on that bench awaiting the call for action and it doesnt come.

Tonight the manager made a substitution and pushed the center half up field in search of a goal. We still had not had a shot on goal all night yet. Then in the 89th minute he makes a sub and brings on Watmore.............

Now i know we dont always see the same game as each other but can anyone tell me why the manager made this substitution so late in the game. He must have known it was only a minute to go with 2 extra time minutes. What was going through his mind that he thought things would change at this time.

I just dont understand and hope you will be able to explain to me why and what difference this was going to make, as im baffled here!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since i have had time to take in the debacle of tonights game, something's still worrying me and i need help to understand why it happened?

A lot of emotions passed through me whilst i sat there watching the game unfold, embarrassment, humiliation, frustration and sheer bloody unbelievable bewilderment.

As they went off at half time to boos i thought the manager would act and make a substitution or two at the start of the second half.

After all he had a full Scottish International midfield player sitting on his bench, whilst he too was watching the drivel taking part in the game. But no we had to endure another half of torture with no thought of changing the set up in any way

The game was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and bring others into play with a short accurate cross or pass.

Kevin Thomson is a good midfielder, as good as we have got at Easter Road but this manager will NOT bring him on to the field of play.

At Tynecastle Hibs did not start to play or even look like a football team till he came on late in the second half he kept hold of the ball and brought those around him into the game. Ever since he has sat on that bench awaiting the call for action and it doesnt come.

Tonight the manager made a substitution and pushed the center half up field in search of a goal. We still had not had a shot on goal all night yet. Then in the 89th minute he makes a sub and brings on Watmore.............

Now i know we dont always see the same game as each other but can anyone tell me why the manager made this substitution so late in the game. He must have known it was only a minute to go with 2 extra time minutes. What was going through his mind that he thought things would change at this time.

I just dont understand and hope you will be able to explain to me why and what difference this was going to make, as im baffled here!
    Tel was wearing Blobby's old watch

@hibs.net private member CA Hibby's Avatar
    Dosnt help win the game, but I think it was closer to 83 minutes....

Quote Originally Posted by CA Hibby View Post
    Dosnt help win the game, but I think it was closer to 83 minutes....
    Aye Watmore was around the 83 minute mark, Cummings came on at the 89 minute mark.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Aye Watmore was around the 83 minute mark, Cummings came on at the 89 minute mark.
    Crazy time to make both changes when you're 2-0 down at around the 60 minute mark.

All 3 subs should have been used right after that 2nd goal went in.

Left by mutual consent!

maybe wasting time so we didnae lose any mair?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Crazy time to make both changes when you're 2-0 down at around the 60 minute mark.

All 3 subs should have been used right after that 2nd goal went in.
    Naw, two subs should have been on at half time.
    Two of the mids should have been hooked.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Naw, two subs should have been on at half time.
    Two of the mids should have been hooked.
    Naw, 2 of the subs should have been on from the very start plus an unused sub.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Shirley the only reason managers make substitutions like that is so that the player coming off can receive a deserved ovation from the fans? I mean, without the ovation for that player being drowned in a more general ovation for the whole team at full time.

I was gobsmacked at both Terry's starting line up and substitutions. At home and needing a win he starts with one up front Factor in that every match I have watched recently starts with Hibs going at 100 miles an hour then the opposition break up the park and score and last night was no different. What happened to the philosophy of closing the opposition down quickly as the team did when Terry first took over? Why was Collins so far away from the Aberdeen back line when they had the ball?

I expected at least one change at half time as Aberdeen could have left Langfield at home the amount of times we threatened their goal but our manager deemed the starting 11 could turn it round. At 2 nil down I expected an immediate substitution but it was a full nine minutes before Handling came on to little effect.

Add in Watmore on 83 and Cummings on 89 (WTF) and I could understand people around me wanting Fenlon back!

I really do despair for our team and if the unthinkable should happen and we join the puddle drinkers in the Championship we will be there for many years to come. I've no idea how hard or how long the players train but with two weeks until our next game they should be kept at East Mains and only be allowed home to go to bed. Terry needs to change something and change it fast.

I'm going back to read the liquidation thread to take my mind off last night's inept performance. FFS my son was even considering switching his allegiance to the ****, thankfully he was joking.

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    Cummings wasn't supposed to be on the bench, he got called up during the warm-up.

I reckon Tel put him on in the last minute only to get him an appearance bonus, imo, rather than it being anything tactical or "game changing"

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Butchers team selections, tactics and substitutions have baffled me for a while now. In my opinion he's intentionally not picking the best team available to him, he lines them up in some ridiculous formations and some of his substitutions make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    I think he was making a point with Cummings. I am the manager and I will decide who plays and who doesn't.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    I found it strange that Cairney lasted almost the entire game - absolutely woeful and how Butcher didn't get him off at HT will forever be a mystery. Reactive rather than proactive in terms of tactics and subs, we were doomed as soon as they took the lead. It's painful to watch us at the moment.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    I think he was making a point with Cummings. I am the manager and I will decide who plays and who doesn't.
    Cummings got drafted in to the squad because heffernan got injured in the warm up or bottled it. You decide. The 89th minute sub was nonsense.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Shirley the only reason managers make substitutions like that is so that the player coming off can receive a deserved ovation from the fans? I mean, without the ovation for that player being drowned in a more general ovation for the whole team at full time.
    That is exactly the thought that occurred to me - don't get it at all!

thanks for the answers, im just glad it wasnt just me!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Because Butcher is the new clueless

Is it possible the late sub was to replace an injured player?

thanks for the answers, im just glad it wasnt just me!
    He has previous form on this remember when he brought Heff on at Inverness recently I with minutes to go

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    He has previous form on this remember when he brought Heff on at Inverness recently I with minutes to go
    That was even later, injury time If I can remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Naw, 2 of the subs should have been on from the very start plus an unused sub.
    We could have started with fourteen men and I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

But I was frustrated that we came out for the second half unchanged, when Watmore for Cairney and Cummings for Craig would have given us some impetus.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    That was even later, injury time If I can remember correctly
    But equally pointless.