hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

Left by mutual consent!
    whatever anybody thinks of Stevenson he's ten times the person and character of some of these *****

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough

Agreed. Would be good to see his energy in central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by ionahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Him harris and Stanton stood out for me the rest can get to f***!
    Harris? what game were you watching

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I liked Stevenson tonight. He will be a great player in a better team. He has a lot of courage to stick at it after all the abuse. His passing is getting better too, which was what I thought was his biggest weakness in the early part of the season. There are a few players I like in this team and I can see it getting a lot better with a few rids and gets.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It was not really working for him but I think it is getting closer for him though. Persist with a bit longer and he might develop on his own without experienced players carrying him. It's not easy for a young lad to have no lift from experienced players. He isn't getting any from Craig.

I'm backing Harris for a big improvement before the end of this season and player of the year next.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    It was not really working for him but I think it is getting closer for him though. Persist with a bit longer and he might develop on his own without experienced players carrying him. It's not easy for a young lad to have no lift from experienced players. He isn't getting any from Craig.

I'm backing Harris for a big improvement before the end of this season and player of the year next.
    I agree. It wasn't coming off for him, but he's struggled for game time this season. A bit of consistency would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    He didn't have a blinder or anything but last night was a big step forward for Harris I'd say. First time since he came back that he looked sharp and willing to really get involved. Looked like his confidence is starting to come back and we all know what he's capable off. Butcher should stick with him now IMO.

I thought Taiwo was our best player last night. Stevenson did have a good game at Left back. I prefer him to be playing there to be honest as he offers no attacking threat at left midfield and the way McGovern has been playing, Stevenson looks the safer option.

There was a point in game last night where Aberdeen broke and Lewis sprinted all the way to the side line to make a crunching challenge... You just knew he was going into it full welt with only one outcome , the attack being stopped.. He may not be the best bit if the other 10 showed his fight and determination we would be in the top half of the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    There was a point in game last night where Aberdeen broke and Lewis sprinted all the way to the side line to make a crunching challenge... You just knew he was going into it full welt with only one outcome , the attack being stopped.. He may not be the best bit if the other 10 showed his fight and determination we would be in the top half of the league

If we had 11 players with the same passion for Hibs as Lewis Stevenson we wouldn't be in this position, simple as that

Petrie Out....Lewis In

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    I thought Taiwo was our best player last night. Stevenson did have a good game at Left back. I prefer him to be playing there to be honest as he offers no attacking threat at left midfield and the way McGovern has been playing, Stevenson looks the safer option.
    Really? Thought Taiwo was just as bad as everyone else.
    Stevenson determination, drive and willingness to fight for everything are what we need right now. He deserved man of the match - but lets be honest - there wasnt many contenders for that. He should be kept at left back I would say its his best position - one thing that worried me though was the Sheep put Rooney out on the left, I presume because of the height difference - other teams could pick up on this something Lewis needs to be aware of.
    Am confused about Stanton. I think he will be a great player but he looks jaded and dare I say it weak - he was outmuscled too easily, nothing came off for him and he missed our best chance of the match.
    Harris - needs to stop cutting in on to his right foot - or be played on the right - he didnt go past the full back once but always cut inside.

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Give him the captains armband.

The boy has heart and fight he loves the club. Tell one one player out there tonight that has what he has??
    100% agree. Definite captain for me. Utter professional that's worked hard to make the most of the talent he's been given.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post

Too many of our players last night gave up chasing the ball Lewis didn't and ran himself into the ground. MOM well deserved. The fitness/lack of stamina of some of our players is a worry.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Too many of our players last night gave up chasing the ball Lewis didn't and ran himself into the ground. MOM well deserved. The fitness/lack of stamina of some of our players is a worry.
    Watching the game back Lewis rarely loses possession all game. Watch again and see Nelson, first half in particular, continually loft balls forward whilst not even looking who he is passing to - that is just basic basic football skills he is bereft of. McGivern starts to play possession football first 20 minutes however then gets drawn into the same ploy his partner uses.

Cairney consistently loses the ball by either poor first touch, or playing it too far in front of him. Liam Craig starts okay, then for some inexcusable reason thinks to himself he can play high up the pitch, not track back, and twice go looking for free kicks that no one in the ground saw. Spends most of the latter part of the second half on the grass or moaning at Madden.

Harris started brightly and then again, for some reason, Hibs then start to play more down the right and into Forster and Cairney.

Taiwo actually had a decent first half but tired - probably down to Craig being a right slow, lazy brain cant.

Just miserable football - negative, one dimensional, industrial - and bringing on a lad for 1 minute when 2-0 down go Terry go Terry go Terry

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Another good performance, harder to do when you mostly have a dire, gutless bunch around you but the best Hibs player on the park by a country mile, Collins, Forster and Stanton never gave up the ghost either. Stanton seem to have the same attitude as Lewis at the moment. For me we want Lewis as captain in central midfield alongside Thomson and Robertson when he is fit.

Edit: and if we are going to blood more of the undoubtedly talented youngsters we have lets do it under Lewis as captain. Someone they can look up to.
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 08-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Breakthrough hibseleven's Avatar
    I like Stevenson. He'd be in my Hibs squad/team every day of the week. Never gives up, tries his best with very little support around him.

Guys that sit in front of me can't wait to have a go at him. Really does my box in.

Ive always been a Lewis fan as a footballer, but he just isnt captain material in my opinion. You've never met a shyer, almost embarrassed to be a professional footballer character in all your days. The ideal scenario would be a confident, chippy Boozy type as captain sat next to him in midfield (or at left centre back or wherever Lewis is deployed). Unfortunately, we have Liam Craig.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    No matter how well Stevenson plays though, there is always going to be somebody saying "if he's our best player, this is the reason we are sh*te".

Talk about encouragement. Guy plays well, gets branded useless still. This is one of the things wrong at Hibs.

Lewis Stevenson is one of the only players who cares about the result in the team, will fight for a ball he knows he is more likely to lose but doesnt want to give up. e's the type of player that every team does need, even if it isn't always in a starting role.

I would like to see him try more central midfield though. But at the moment as long as it keeps McGivern away from LB, keep him there.

McGivern has had too many chances and just isn't good enough im afraid.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    No matter how well Stevenson plays though, there is always going to be somebody saying "if he's our best player, this is the reason we are sh*te".

Talk about encouragement. Guy plays well, gets branded useless still. This is one of the things wrong at Hibs.

Lewis Stevenson is one of the only players who cares about the result in the team, will fight for a ball he knows he is more likely to lose but doesnt want to give up. e's the type of player that every team does need, even if it isn't always in a starting role.

I would like to see him try more central midfield though. But at the moment as long as it keeps McGivern away from LB, keep him there.

McGivern has had too many chances and just isn't good enough im afraid.
    I know what you mean but at the end of the day when all is typed and done this is just a message board. It can but doesn't necessarily spur folks into action (although there are many notable charitable causes where folks have done just that). As we keep on hearing - actions speak louder than words and Hibstory records that Lewis was voted player of the season - albeit a season to forget but some folks appreciate what he brings to the club.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

My son came back from sitting in Section 43 singing the Lewis Stevenson song.

Says it all really - noisy Hibees know the score, Lewis is a player.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    There was that tackle he put in second half against the black guy, is it Logan? Lewis looked like he was doing about 30mph. He can really shift.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    I know what you mean but at the end of the day when all is typed and done this is just a message board. It can but doesn't necessarily spur folks into action (although there are many notable charitable causes where folks have done just that). As we keep on hearing - actions speak louder than words and Hibstory records that Lewis was voted player of the season - albeit a season to forget but some folks appreciate what he brings to the club.
    Yep 11 players that try like Lewis and are honest would not see us set the heather on fire but we wouldn't be in a play off dog fight iether

First Team Breakthrough jon paul jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    My son came back from sitting in Section 43 singing the Lewis Stevenson song.

Says it all really - noisy Hibees know the score, Lewis is a player.
    Tell him to stand then and sing the Lewis song...its the 43 way!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibee Gallagher
    Stevenson stands out now because of his work rate but he's the sort of player that will only get better if there is better players around him.

He understands his strengths and weaknesses and despite never being the most naturally talented player in the squad I think 90% of Hibs fans would rather have him than any other player in the squad and I want to see him played in his strongest position at CM. You just need to look at his performance in the CIS cup final to realise what he brings and he would be perfect in there with Stanton.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Just a normal run of the mill game for Mr Lewis Consistancy Stevenson, the guy is immense and so under valued by many.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    There was that tackle he put in second half against the black guy, is it Logan? Lewis looked like he was doing about 30mph. He can really shift.
    When I saw him motoring I thought I was going to see another steam train tackle like Ian Murray on Henkel at the same spot several years ago.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    There's a reason SEVEN managers have regularly played him - and it's not because he's a useful utility player (although it probably adds to his appeal) or because 'he'll play anywhere to get a game'.

I genuinely think he's one of those players who 'would play anywhere if needed.'

That sort of attitude is what's missing from most of our squad, and I feel for Lewis - it must be bloody hard work giving it 100% when half your team-mates are pissing about and couldn't give a toss.

Me and the Mrs have a "celebrity" list where we'd be allowed to if we had the chance. Funnily enough Stevenson makes it into both of ours