hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: F1 2014

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

F1 2014

I've never followed this previously and I'm aware there's been a lot of controversy during the off-season (move to hybrids, rule changes etc) but I'm captivated by F1 this year!

The Bahrain GP today was absolutely sensational - the racing between Rosberg and Hamilton for first place today was stellar.

Great start to the season for Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sorry, but to paraphrase Shankley, if it was happening outside my front door I would close the curtains.

F1 is one of the most boring sports in the world - 20 odd multi millionaires complaining they didn't win because they didn't have the best car. Aye, whatever.

On the plus side - Suzy Perry!

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but to paraphrase Shankley, if it was happening outside my front door I would close the curtains.

F1 is one of the most boring sports in the world - 20 odd multi millionaires complaining they didn't win because they didn't have the best car. Aye, whatever.

On the plus side - Suzy Perry!
    Why read/comment on the thread if it interests you not?

To the OP, yah there have been a few complaints, but that's just typical of human nature I suppose, no-one likes change.

Great to see two drivers from the same team racing each other instead of the nonsense of team orders. Get out there and race, that's what the public want to see. Hamilton is a great driver and whilst a lot of people don't like him, I personally do.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

I thought there was quite a bit of in team fighting today which made the whole thing very interesting from the casual viewers point of view.

If that's what you want sylar I hope for both of us that's how it continues.

You can dig into the technical issues and court cases as they come along.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Why read/comment on the thread if it interests you not?
    Aye, fair point - each to their own.

Shaping up to be a great season, especially as we're not seeing much of that grumpy gnome in the Red Bull. Ricciardo doing a great job. Ecclestone still planning on scuppering things with his stupid tarting-up rule changes.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Shaping up to be a great season, especially as we're not seeing much of that grumpy gnome in the Red Bull. Ricciardo doing a great job. Ecclestone still planning on scuppering things with his stupid tarting-up rule changes.
    You do have to worry a little though that nobody looks like they're capable of coming close to challenging Mercedes?

Having said that, Ricciardo has looked excellent and Hulkenberg looks a real force to be reckoned with - he might be one of the regular elite names but it's new to me Unlike Vettel, Alonso, Button et al., he's not one I recognise!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    You do have to worry a little though that nobody looks like they're capable of coming close to challenging Mercedes?

Having said that, Ricciardo has looked excellent and Hulkenberg looks a real force to be reckoned with - he might be one of the regular elite names but it's new to me Unlike Vettel, Alonso, Button et al., he's not one I recognise!
    Well the beauty of this sport is that, even if one car has a clear advantage, there are - usually - two drivers using it to compete against each other. Sort of like having two Celtics (etc.) in the SPL.

Hulkenberg has had to fight to get back into F1 but he's looked quick in the past. Force India have a good pairing this year. I expect McLaren to bounce back to some extent now that Ron Dennis is back in charge. Red Bull will probably come good too but they are doing a hell of a lot of bleating right now - which is pleasing.

I take it you mean the 4 time world champion?

Anyways, Lewis Hamilton is out of the Canadian GP after falling over his bottom lip in Monaco.....

As for a great season, it may well go down as the most boring since the Prost/Senna era . Not good for the viewer when one team wins every GP[O.K Prost & Senna didn't quite make it a full house thanks to the late J.L Schlesser]

& the new cars sound like a hoover with the belt broken.

Fuel saving, charging batteries for one thing & another. This is the pinnacle of motorsport. Get the screamers back, give them fuel & let them get on with racing.

Used to love F1, still watch it from time to time as it's a good way to waste a couple of hours on a Sunday with a couple of beers, but I can take it or leave it now. It's not about the drivers, it's all about the tech. The best driver on the grid is Jenson Button, Di Resta was a better driver technically than Vettel FFS! Moto GP is going the same way. Speedway is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ****pile View Post
    I take it you mean the 4 time world champion?

Anyways, Lewis Hamilton is out of the Canadian GP after falling over his bottom lip in Monaco.....

As for a great season, it may well go down as the most boring since the Prost/Senna era . Not good for the viewer when one team wins every GP[O.K Prost & Senna didn't quite make it a full house thanks to the late J.L Schlesser]

& the new cars sound like a hoover with the belt broken.

Fuel saving, charging batteries for one thing & another. This is the pinnacle of motorsport. Get the screamers back, give them fuel & let them get on with racing.

Hmm, he didn't really beat the world - just one old Aussie who was "second driver". He is currently being thrashed by a young Aussie.

I thought Hamilton handled himself pretty well, considering. Niki Lauda on the other hand... Maybe Mercedes would prefer a blonde German champion to help shift those cars to middle management around the world.

Rosberg is an excellent driver but I think Hamilton has an extra gear. On a level playing field, he has beaten Rosberg all season. They are a lot more evenly matched though than Red Bull were (and are ), which is why this season for me is the most interesting for ages. When was the last time that a team let their drivers race? A two-horse race is a change for the better.

I also expect more of a battle between Mercedes and Newey, plus there's Ferrari and now Ron Dennis with a point to prove.

As for the noise, it only really matters at the circuit and even then there are other, perhaps nowadays more cerebral, aspects of the tech at which to marvel. I like innovation and look forward to silent, solar-powered electric racecars with mind-bending torque.

To be fair, there are other categories of motorsport that cater for the hairy balls aspect but F1 has always been about leading-edge technology, in whatever form that comes.

i can see teams giving up on this season already, its evident mercedes are so far ahead of the rest this year, even red bull werent so dominant the last few championships, talking of red bull it seems Vettel has been given Webbers car the way its turning out , id like the teams to be more evenly matched and let the drivers decide the championship not the cars. ive followed f1 for years but this season has seen me missing half the races cos i know its gonna be a merc win. like celtic winning the league before a ball has been kicked you just know whats going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    i can see teams giving up on this season already, its evident mercedes are so far ahead of the rest this year, even red bull werent so dominant the last few championships, talking of red bull it seems Vettel has been given Webbers car the way its turning out , id like the teams to be more evenly matched and let the drivers decide the championship not the cars. ive followed f1 for years but this season has seen me missing half the races cos i know its gonna be a merc win. like celtic winning the league before a ball has been kicked you just know whats going to happen
    Do you really care that much about the constructor's championship? Senna/Prost was fascinating regardless of whether they were in the same team. In fact, being in the same team adds another, internecine, twist. Of course with Hill/Schumacher (the Brits versus the sort-of Axis) and others, the inter-team angle has been interesting too.

Also the equal car thing would deprive F1 of a traditional ingredient: genius engineers stealing a march on the opposition. That freedom encourages innovation. There are other open-wheel, open-cockpit formula that use a standard car - *those* I find a bit boring. It's as if half the contest is missing.
    Last edited by (((Fergus))); 27-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Do you really care that much about the constructor's championship? Senna/Prost was fascinating regardless of whether they were in the same team. In fact, being in the same team adds another, internecine, twist. Of course with Hill/Schumacher (the Brits versus the sort-of Axis) and others, the inter-team angle has been interesting too.

Also the equal car thing would deprive F1 of a traditional ingredient: genius engineers stealing a march on the opposition. That freedom encourages innovation. There are other open-wheel, open-cockpit formula that use a standard car - *those* I find a bit boring. It's as if half the contest is missing.
    no i care about the drivers championship more but when 1 team is so far ahead of the rest, we already know its gonna be Hamilton or Rosberg who wins this year, my favourite driver is alonso even though im no fan of ferrari

The Canadian Grand Prix never disappoints! Cracking race today - amazing job by Rosberg despite the technical problems.

Amazing final laps and the crash with Massa was crazy. Wonder what was going through his mind as he hit the tyre wall.

Glad the all got out ok.