hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If Butcher's record, after two years, is on a par with Fenlon's and the football is as eye-watering, you'll have a point.
    I've got a point now, if he'd stayed and we'd continued performing at the same level then we would not be trying to avoid relegation right now and it's fair to say we would probably be in the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

P.S. Butcher's win % is 26% according to iHibs. Fenlon's wasn't much better in his first season and, even then, the SC dragged that up from 21% in the league.
    Don't Scottish Cup games matter?

Edit: and I make Butcher's win percentage to be 21%.
    Last edited by Elephant Stone; 05-04-2014 at 12:45 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    I'm embarrassed for this roster of a journalist in all honestly. It appears like Pat Fenlon hurt his feelings on a couple of occasions and like a disgruntled ex-girlfriend, cannot let it go. Pathetic but am I surprised by it? Not at all. That said, some of Pat's comments are a bit baffling in that article...

Fenlon will never cover himself in glory based on his time at Hibs. It didn't work out for either party, however, he did steady the ship after the Calderwood farce so for that i'm thankful. Why any manager of any SPL side needs to suck up to the gutter press in this country is beyond me. We appear to be a club they all love failing, when we fall flat on our face (which is often), they revel in it.

The only media I tend to read is from the official site and links through .net.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Sounds to me both are fairly bitter. No interest in either to be honest. Pat left us with this horrific bunch of no hopers and should be criticized.

And this journo has the hump because "he didn't tell the truth" shock horror coming from a journo at the Daily Record!
    This sums it up for me

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    If you doubt media bias, just look at pricks like Ewan Murray or Anthony brown on twitter.

Supposed to be journos, but neither acknowledge our disallowed goal, focus only on "the under 21s" of hearts, and generally take the piss whenever they can.

We have not helped as we are rank, but surely some professionalism is not too much to ask?

Wan*ers the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I've got a point now, if he'd stayed and we'd continued performing at the same level then we would not be trying to avoid relegation right now and it's fair to say we would probably be in the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

Don't Scottish Cup games matter?

Edit: and I make Butcher's win percentage to be 21%.
    I'm sorry but I hate when folk assume Pat would have had us in a better position than we are now or progressed us in the Scottish. We have no idea if he would or wouldn't have.

Butcher hopefully will get at least the same amount of time if not longer. I'll also happily go on record to say he will do much better than pats win ratio over that time. This season he's left with dross. He should and could do better but as I posted few weeks ago players are not giving two hoots anymore. Not all may I add but some so called pros need a word with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    It wasn't the west coast media that got him the sack. It was a mob of inadequates waving their season tickets in front of the cameras.

Nice way to describe fellow Hibs fans that had decided that enough was enough.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'm sorry but I hate when folk assume Pat would have had us in a better position than we are now or progressed us in the Scottish. We have no idea if he would or wouldn't have.

Butcher hopefully will get at least the same amount of time if not longer. I'll also happily go on record to say he will do much better than pats win ratio over that time. This season he's left with dross. He should and could do better but as I posted few weeks ago players are not giving two hoots anymore. Not all may I add but some so called pros need a word with themselves.
    If the team had continued performing to a similar level as it did in the first three months when PF was in charge then we would have been in a better position than we are now. I think If PF has stayed on there's no reason to doubt the level could have been maintained or even improved upon further with consistent team selection and momentum, as happened to Aberdeen. As for the Scottish cup, I am happy to assume we'd have beaten Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone at home, given we beat them 2-0 away and given that PF won every single Scottish cup tie outwith the finals.

I hope Butcher gets time as well, I'm not suggesting that we get rid of him. All I'm saying is that if PF had seen out his season I'm confident we'd be doing much better than we are now and that I'm not going to let Scottish journalists change my opinion.

As for the squad being dross, I can't agree at all. We might be neglected a bit in the wings but I don't think the squad is dross, or near it.

If the team had continued performing to a similar level as it did in the first three months when PF was in charge then we would have been in a better position than we are now. I think If PF has stayed on there's no reason to doubt the level could have been maintained or even improved upon further with consistent team selection and momentum, as happened to Aberdeen. As for the Scottish cup, I am happy to assume we'd have beaten Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone at home, given we beat them 2-0 away and given that PF won every single Scottish cup tie outwith the finals.

I hope Butcher gets time as well, I'm not suggesting that we get rid of him. All I'm saying is that if PF had seen out his season I'm confident we'd be doing much better than we are now and that I'm not going to let Scottish journalists change my opinion.

As for the squad being dross, I can't agree at all. We might be neglected a bit in the wings but I don't think the squad is dross, or near it.
    Pat got far to long to start with. Hibs were starting to drop when he left. He even admitted himself he was the problem. The job was to much for Pat! Butcher is a proven SPL manager and I feel he'll do very well.

By the way you talk about "we would have beaten St. Johnstone if we had beat Raith" our record at ER was horrific under Pat as well so that's nonsense to say it would be a given. Like I say no one will know but Pat was finished at Hibs long before he left and there is no danger if given more time he'd turn it around. He had two years to do so and failed big time.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Pat got far to long to start with. Hibs were starting to drop when he left. He even admitted himself he was the problem. The job was to much for Pat! Butcher is a proven SPL manager and I feel he'll do very well.

By the way you talk about "we would have beaten St. Johnstone if we had beat Raith" our record at ER was horrific under Pat as well so that's nonsense to say it would be a given. Like I say no one will know but Pat was finished at Hibs long before he left and there is no danger if given more time he'd turn it around. He had two years to do so and failed big time.
    Agree with that. He had his time and didn't do enough. Left us with a squad of slow, weak bottle merchants. He also squandered a very competitive budget on terrible players.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

Does he have a better SPL record than Fenlon? I'm not sure if he does.

No danger he'd turn it round? It didn't need turning round, we were a handful of points of second, had the second best defence in the league and were still in the Scottish Cup. It's not nonsense to think we'd still be in the Scottish Cup given his record in the tournament and given that we were playing Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone, who we'd already beaten.

Does he have a better SPL record than Fenlon? I'm not sure if he does.

No danger he'd turn it round? It didn't need turning round, we were a handful of points of second, had the second best defence in the league and were still in the Scottish Cup. It's not nonsense to think we'd still be in the Scottish Cup given his record in the tournament and given that we were playing Raith Rovers at home and St Johnstone, who we'd already beaten.
    Like I say doesn't matter if we had already beaten St Johnstone every game is different. Our home record was shocking hence why I don't think it was a cert!

Maybe you think Pat is a better manager but I firmly believe Butcher is. His training is more professional than Pats who was pretty much a part time manager. Getting to two Scottish cup finals is only a real achievement when you turn up and win.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Like I say doesn't matter if we had already beaten St Johnstone every game is different. Our home record was shocking hence why I don't think it was a cert!

Maybe you think Pat is a better manager but I firmly believe Butcher is. His training is more professional than Pats who was pretty much a part time manager. Getting to two Scottish cup finals is only a real achievement when you turn up and win.
    Our home record in the Scottish cup was 100% .

We're not going to agree on this but I'd rather he had stayed for the season and finished his job, I don't think Butcher's good PR has softened the blow of the way the season turned, which is the point I was originally making. I hope he gets time to see out his contract though and I think things will improve.

Presumably you thought that we shouldn't have appointed Fenlon in the first place given his record in 2011/12 was worse than Calderwood's

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Presumably you thought that we shouldn't have appointed Fenlon in the first place given his record in 2011/12 was worse than Calderwood's
    Nope, Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster and we should have changed it sooner than we did.

Nope, Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster and we should have changed it sooner than we did.
    Okay. Now that we've agreed that Fenlon was better than Calderwood, even although his initial results were worse, you should be able to see the logic of giving Butcher time.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Okay. Now that we've agreed that Fenlon was better than Calderwood, even although his initial results were worse, you should be able to see the logic of giving Butcher time.
    I want to give Butcher time. What I'm saying is that I wish Fenlon had stayed for the season, that I think we'd be much better off at the moment if he did, and that I don't blame him for the way the season turned. I wanted him to have time to at least finish his contract and I think Butcher deserves the same.

Our home record in the Scottish cup was 100% .

We're not going to agree on this but I'd rather he had stayed for the season and finished his job, I don't think Butcher's good PR has softened the blow of the way the season turned, which is the point I was originally making. I hope he gets time to see out his contract though and I think things will improve.
    Haha touché

Yeah think we can agree to disagree. I hope so as well and I do think he'll do well if he gets the men he wants.

@hibs.net private member
    Who?

First Team Breakthrough

The only problem i have with pat is he quit with the job half done. He has won trophies everywhere he has been except with us. The biggest mistake was getting us to Europe and two cup finals that we werent good enough to compete in. Against malmo we played with five 19 year olds in pre season ffs. The team had just gone 9 unbeaten in the league before two defeats saw him out the door. And one of them was daylight robbery.

So it was victory for craig thomson, for sportsound and the daily record. And a complete lack of fight from our club.

@hibs.net private member
    I never read any the rubbish that the Daily Rangers publishes and I'm a wee bit annoyed with myself for wasting 2 minutes of my life on this 'article'

Quote Originally Posted by macd123 View Post

The only problem i have with pat is he quit with the job half done. He has won trophies everywhere he has been except with us. The biggest mistake was getting us to Europe and two cup finals that we werent good enough to compete in. Against malmo we played with five 19 year olds in pre season ffs. The team had just gone 9 unbeaten in the league before two defeats saw him out the door. And one of them was daylight robbery.

So it was victory for craig thomson, for sportsound and the daily record. And a complete lack of fight from our club.
    We didn't go 9 unbeaten.

As for Fenlon winning trophies before, it's equivalent to managing in the Juniors.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Off the record conversations appear in daily record, reporter bitter because no one will speak to him off the record....... Wow!

Testimonial Due
    Yes Pat we are telling you that Liam Craig is not a decent player...him along with pretty much every single player you brought through the doors of the club during your entire time with us. I hold Pat pretty much entirely accountable for what we are watching now...him and the board for not leaving him at Hampden after that cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Yes Pat we are telling you that Liam Craig is not a decent player...him along with pretty much every single player you brought through the doors of the club during your entire time with us. I hold Pat pretty much entirely accountable for what we are watching now...him and the board for not leaving him at Hampden after that cup final.

Funny thing is (well it's not actually funny but...) if he was still here we wouldn't be in as much kite as we are in at the moment .