hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lucky was referring to the press in general, not just the DR.
    PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that their are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.
    I'm never going to be Fenlons biggest fan, but for me the reporter makes himself out to be a right cretin here. Yet that will be lost to most, and once again the national press are spouting negative reports when we all wish it was the opposite.

Sadly we seem a lot further away from positive press than we were when Fenlon was still at the club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

That article is disgusting and sums up how the media works in this country.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    As much as I think Fenlon was a woeful manager who left us with a shan team that article reflects terribly on the DR and the journo. No surprise there then.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    That article is disgusting and sums up how the media works in this country.
    wonder how many untruths that journalists has told in the DR because I can't recall the Record getting many exclusives right. Must be all those folk lying to them. Arsewipe!!

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Lucky was referring to the press in general, not just the DR.
    PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that their are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.
    It's always good to have positive publicity but that should not be something we judge our managers on, IMO. They're there to deal with the team, not snide, sensationalist journalists like the one who wrote that article. Butcher is really struggling but has the press eating out his hands, PF was doing considerably better and was slated from all corners, popular opinion can be totally independent of actual performance and I think we should judge our managers on actual performance rather than on the opinion of comic journalists, who I'd bet pay very little attention to Hibs in reality anyway.

Testimonial Due
    Disgraceful article.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    You can tell by the "gurning" photo that accompanies the article that this is a DR hatchet job. Surprise, surprise, another DR "journalist" with an anti Hibs agenda.... I suppose Keith Jackshuns too busy on the radio nowadays to indulge that pet topic.

If a DR headline said the grass is green id want to go outside and check. I wonder how many Hibbies actually still buy / read this rag ? As others have said, this article says a lot more about the "journalist" and what constitutes "journalism" in this comic for grown ups.
    As well as spouting crap on the radio, Jackson's the boys boss as well.

He's probably spending loads of time preparing for his court case - remember the one he said he'd bring against JC?

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    What a pish article and it partially explains why Pat Fenlon didn't have much time for the press.

He was in the final negotiations to get the Hibs job and Petrie is known to like things kept quiet until it's all was signed, sealed and delivered.

Why would he risk blowing his chances of getting the job by giving some random guy (who claims to be a reporter) on the phone 'a scoop'?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Absolute rubbish. 'Wee Pat' writes 'Fat Scott.'

Someone who writes for a comic like the Daily Record can't be called a journalist. Or be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    It's always good to have positive publicity but that should not be something we judge our managers on, IMO. They're there to deal with the team, not snide, sensationalist journalists like the one who wrote that article. Butcher is really struggling but has the press eating out his hands, PF was doing considerably better and was slated from all corners, popular opinion can be totally independent of actual performance and I think we should judge our managers on actual performance rather than on the opinion of comic journalists, who I'd bet pay very little attention to Hibs in reality anyway.
    I'm certainly not doing that. The club can influence what is printed though and PF AND the board at the time did themselves no favours. The back pages are free advertising for the football industry, ignoring it should not be an option for a business looking to project a positive image. I ain't gonna comment on the competence or otherwise of individual journalists. We all have our pet hates there.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Where is the NEWS in that NEWSpaper article?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    As well as spouting crap on the radio, Jackson's the boys boss as well.

He's probably spending loads of time preparing for his court case - remember the one he said he'd bring against JC?
    He doesn't need to prepare for it, Craig Whyte is paying for top lawyers for Jackson with Whyte's "off the radar" wealth.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    That's two minutes of my time I won't get back. What a pointless article. "Boo hoo hoo he didn't tell us something confidential before it was official how awful of him"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    It does appear to be open season in the press on Hibs related people these days. Fenlon. O'Connor, Griffiths, Petrie, Butcher, unnamed fans alledgedly sending e-mail(as if), Tom English's weekly digs blah blah blah.

The press do seem to rather enjoy putting the boot in for some reason.
    To be fair, the press are not exactly digging this up. Fenlon contacted the DR, o Conner has been criticised by his clubs owner, griffiths singing would always be picked up on and the sfa have picked him up on it, Petrie is in charge over yet another rubbish season, butcher is the manager of hibs during another rubbish season. The only thing I would say the press are being a bit picky with, is the hibs fans involvement in trying to liquidate hearts.

hibs are big news, we are absolutely honking and have been for years now. Every time the team has a chance to give the fans something to enjoy the blow it.

if hearts hadn't been in admin, possibly facing liquidation hibs would be in the spotlight even more, and rightly so as there is something wrong at the club which has yet to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Paddy was a very nice man lets just leave it at that.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    " He lied to me" wails the fat hack. Why didn't you just make it up anyway? Isn't that the Daily Returd's normal way of doing things?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Whatever you think of his managerial ability Pat was a top bloke who showed a lot of respect to our club.

No need for that article, but that's the attitude of the arrogant hack nowadays who thinks that his job allows him carte blanche to write whatever he wants about anyone irregardless of how intrusive it is or not.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The west of Scotland media had it in for Pat from the word go. He didn't fit in with the usual Scottish managerial merry go round and I have my suspicions that his background had something to do with that. Enough said.

Fenlon has taken himself out of the firing line and has not done an interview in months but I will tell you one thing, if every paper in the country had been slating and blaming me for what's going on months after I had left my job I wouldn't stand for it. This article is just another dig at Fenlon by a bitter little man because Pat wouldn't give him inside information. Fenlon put 110% in during his time at Hibs, he made a lot of mistakes but also did a lot of good at the club, he changed the poor attitude around the place. Brought in two of my favourite ever players in Griffiths and McPake. He also got us in to two Scottish cup finals in a row, we all know how they ended but still getting there is an achievement. He has never said anything bad about Hibs so I think it's about time we leave Fenlon alone and stop blaming him for our failings. People are forgetting that we were in fifth place when he left and we are now looking at the potential being involved in a relegation dogfight. How can anyone in their right mind blame Fenlon for that.

So, the guy's been waiting around three years to get his revenge on Fenlon for not giving him a 'scoop'. That must be one of the most pathetic articles ever in the DR (quite an achievement).

Will he be writing some detailed expose on the role David Southern, the guy in charge during the Hearts share scam, played in their downfall, maybe questioning why he's still there?

Perhaps an article on why it was that David Murray, when he already knew how deep his club were in the sh*t, was issuing stories to the press on possible extensions to Ibrox stadium to increase the capacity to 60k? Or why Murray made no proper due dilligence into the guy that was buying RaGers from him then ran them into the ground?

Oops, sorry, that would be REAL journalism.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    Fenlon has taken himself out of the firing line and has not done an interview in months but I will tell you one thing, if every paper in the country had been slating and blaming me for what's going on months after I had left my job I wouldn't stand for it. This article is just another dig at Fenlon by a bitter little man because Pat wouldn't give him inside information. Fenlon put 110% in during his time at Hibs, he made a lot of mistakes but also did a lot of good at the club, he changed the poor attitude around the place. Brought in two of my favourite ever players in Griffiths and McPake. He also got us in to two Scottish cup finals in a row, we all know how they ended but still getting there is an achievement. He has never said anything bad about Hibs so I think it's about time we leave Fenlon alone and stop blaming him for our failings. People are forgetting that we were in fifth place when he left and we are now looking at the potential being involved in a relegation dogfight. How can anyone in their right mind blame Fenlon for that.
    Was that not Calderclown? As for changing the poor attitude, are you for real?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    There's plenty on here that think Fenlon left a total mess due to the poor squad he assembled and we are still suffering for it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

The Daily Ranger. Jeez. Just don't buy or read it. Also, same with the Sun. I wonder if the ones that printed the lies at the time are ashamed of themselves listening to the Hillsborough inquest?

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Pat Fenlon is right. We had started the season with our two most creative wide players missing (Harris and Cairney) and it was obvious why we struggled so much without them.

If we are suggesting that Butcher has got as much out of the players as Fenlon did, we are kidding ourselves on. Liam Craig at holding midfield and Lewis Stevenson as a left winger is evidence that Butcher had not used this squad to the best of it's abilities. He's brought in the boy Boateng, who doesn't even seem good enough to get near a first eleven place.

I'm not saying Fenlon is perfect or would have definately turned things around, but Butcher has not made things better. He has misused the squad.

It's good toget an insight into why the press gave it to him so tight though. He didn't slip them information or kiss the arse like others, so he gets a poor press. No doubt a lot of folk, including Hibs fans, are easily swayed enough to believe it.
    It begs the question then why Fenlon never had anyone in place as cover out wide for this scenario, also why we never had any back up at RB apart from an ageing Maybury, then the zero pace argument in the middle of the park, plus multitude of DM's in the squad. Fenlon needs to have a long hard look at himself and realise he screwed up, his negativity was driving people away.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Incredibly, he told that Sunday Mail writer that it was because Butcher is a former captain of Rangers. Wow.
    Last time I checked that was 27 years ago.

i find this fact extremely depressing the years are just flying in

I'm not too happy at Pat Fenlon and I never read the Daily Record. It's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I'd rather have a manager unliked by the Daily Record but winning 35% of his games and still in the Scottish Cup than a PR friendly manager winning 23%, out of the Scottish cup and trying to avoid relegation. Maybe I don't read enough Daily Record.
    If Butcher's record, after two years, is on a par with Fenlon's and the football is as eye-watering, you'll have a point.

P.S. Butcher's win % is 26% according to iHibs. Fenlon's wasn't much better in his first season and, even then, the SC dragged that up from 21% in the league.
    Last edited by Beefster; 05-04-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    The Daily Ranger. Jeez. Just don't buy or read it. Also, same with the Sun. I wonder if the ones that printed the lies at the time are ashamed of themselves listening to the Hillsborough inquest?
    Pat Fenlon was utterly awful and not up to the job, the Daily Rantic is pathetic and not fit for purpose - made for each other !

Wow that DR journalist has a lot of resentment for Fenlon like. There's poison in his punches at Fenlon, and the numerous 'Wee Pat' when referring to him. This guy has a serious problem with Felon.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Persecuting an person who is in no position to defend himself.

Classic Daily Record.

Oh, and by the way, tough **** on the "he lied to me" thing.

He failed at Hibs, we can all see that. Now let it lie FFS

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    The west of Scotland media had it in for Pat from the word go. He didn't fit in with the usual Scottish managerial merry go round and I have my suspicions that his background had something to do with that. Enough said.
    There's plenty on here that think Fenlon left a total mess due to the poor squad he assembled and we are still suffering for it.
    It wasn't the west coast media that got him the sack. It was a mob of inadequates waving their season tickets in front of the cameras.