hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all went wrong as soon as we appointed calderwood. The guy should never have set foot in Easter road never mind "manage" us.
    Terry has the exact same percentage % results in the same games played as deadwood had which i think is slightly worse than duffy jims.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Arthur Duncan's own goal in 1979.
    I cried. Aged 13.

Testimonial Due FastEddieFelson's Avatar
    When de graaf missed a sitter at home to huns, first game of the new east stand.

Or just when we demolished the old east stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Top Pans Hibby View Post
    I cried. Aged 13.
    I was just a wee guy at the time, not even committed to a club. The reaction from my Dad (listening on the radio) when that went in is still one of the most enduring football memories I have, though.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Arthur Duncan's own goal in 1979.
    My first season supporting Hibs, never been closer to winning the Scottish Cup since- so yes, been downhill ever since.

Once a club starts a downward spiral it`s very hard to stop it and our decline since 2007 when we started to sell our best players coincided with other changes in Scottish football making it harder to attract better players and making it increasingly difficult for successive managers to build a team . I don`t think Yogi , Mixu , CC or Fenlon are terrible managers ( all have had some success as coaches or managers away from Hibs ) but don`t think any of them got as much support as would have been good for club ( support is not just financial but also includes public support from board , good supply of young players coming through , good scouting network ) . One example . Only a year ago , we were taking a big , happy support to Killie etc and playing some good football especially in away games on our way to 2nd successive cup final for first time in about 80 years . It was obvious that a close season of less than a month would make training and recruitment difficult but did manager get extra help to get signings in early and have extra training staff ? Seriously doubt it . To answer original question , departure of John Park seemed to coincide with start of fall - may have been because of cutbacks caused by reduced TV money but when he was at Hibs we were looking at some very good players abroad as well as having a successful youth programme . To be fair to his successors ( if they had similar influence ) they could probably only dream about signing players we actively followed in Park`s time .

Quote Originally Posted by AndySOL1875 View Post
    I had a season ticket for a few years around the time of the CIS final 2007 and I can remember going to games confidently, expecting to beat the likes of Motherwell, Killie, Aberdeen etc. Since then it has all just been an absolute blur of utter s**** and I don't know how/when we will ever get out of this seemingly never ending hole we are digging ourselves.
    because we can't keep our good players for more than a season,sold on and replaced with average replacements

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Once a club starts a downward spiral it`s very hard to stop it and our decline since 2007 when we started to sell our best players coincided with other changes in Scottish football making it harder to attract better players and making it increasingly difficult for successive managers to build a team . I don`t think Yogi , Mixu , CC or Fenlon are terrible managers ( all have had some success as coaches or managers away from Hibs ) but don`t think any of them got as much support as would have been good for club ( support is not just financial but also includes public support from board , good supply of young players coming through , good scouting network ) . One example . Only a year ago , we were taking a big , happy support to Killie etc and playing some good football especially in away games on our way to 2nd successive cup final for first time in about 80 years . It was obvious that a close season of less than a month would make training and recruitment difficult but did manager get extra help to get signings in early and have extra training staff ? Seriously doubt it . To answer original question , departure of John Park seemed to coincide with start of fall - may have been because of cutbacks caused by reduced TV money but when he was at Hibs we were looking at some very good players abroad as well as having a successful youth programme . To be fair to his successors ( if they had similar influence ) they could probably only dream about signing players we actively followed in Park`s time .
    when was the last player that Petrie sold for BIG MONEY ? is their anyone in our current squad that Petrie can sell for BIG MONEY so its all John Parks fault now give us a break

Quote Originally Posted by stevejordan View Post
    when was the last player that Petrie sold for BIG MONEY ? is their anyone in our current squad that Petrie can sell for BIG MONEY so its all John Parks fault now give us a break
    think he means its petries fault

Quote Originally Posted by stevejordan View Post
    I`m saying the opposite . I`m saying that since Park`s departure we seem to have been weaker in youth development and signings . Celtic will have looked for him for something . There are others here who seem to know a lot about how the youth teams and recruitment are run and they`ll know if things have changed in last decade . For scouting and signings , we`re certainly looking in a different market than before , understandable given reduced TV money etc but also down to priorities . Not talking of signing Sauzees or Latapys , being more realistic - more like Zhubirs , Benjis or Zemmamas . Were unlucky with Mulhall injury ( is there any news of when he`ll be back ? ) as that was one signing which looked like a great one .

It all went wrong as soon as we appointed calderwood. The guy should never have set foot in Easter road never mind "manage" us.

My thoughts too.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    The defeat at Ross County in the Cup, four years ago.

Testimonial Due
    on that basis I would say sacking mixu was probably a far bigger mistake than appointing calderwood. A top 6 finish, pretty much with someone else's team and unbeaten off the jambos.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    What an opportunity we and every club had to actually finish right up near the top for 3/4 seasons and even if be runners still finish 2nd then have those chances increased again by Hearts not being involved. We manage to not be involved or even close, not due to having points taken off but simply due to what are unforgivable mistakes at higher levels at club, the bad teams, bad players, bad everything on the pitch all come down to board room level.

Hibs went wrong when people who couldnt make key decisions at key times regarding the football aspects of the club continued to make decisions. 10th,11th,7th and this term at very very best 7th with no Rangers for 2 of those terms and a Hearts side out of it, everyone involved at ER should be totally ashamed of this. It is a total disgrace and massive opportunity missed by gross incompetence.
    How true !

@hibs.net private member
    When did it start? When john park left for celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinAyr View Post
    When did it start? When john park left for celtic.
    Yep had an eye for a player that's was for sure and Celtic cherry picked him because of this

I`m saying the opposite . I`m saying that since Park`s departure we seem to have been weaker in youth development and signings . Celtic will have looked for him for something . There are others here who seem to know a lot about how the youth teams and recruitment are run and they`ll know if things have changed in last decade . For scouting and signings , we`re certainly looking in a different market than before , understandable given reduced TV money etc but also down to priorities . Not talking of signing Sauzees or Latapys , being more realistic - more like Zhubirs , Benjis or Zemmamas . Were unlucky with Mulhall injury ( is there any news of when he`ll be back ? ) as that was one signing which looked like a great one .

Wow,that had completely passed me bye,what, where and how has happened to Mulhall?

Had a quick review of that sentence and realised it could be read as being a smart ass,sorry ,it is a genuine question
    Last edited by hhibs; 01-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    What an opportunity we and every club had to actually finish right up near the top for 3/4 seasons and even if be runners still finish 2nd then have those chances increased again by Hearts not being involved. We manage to not be involved or even close, not due to having points taken off but simply due to what are unforgivable mistakes at higher levels at club, the bad teams, bad players, bad everything on the pitch all come down to board room level.

Hibs went wrong when people who couldnt make key decisions at key times regarding the football aspects of the club continued to make decisions. 10th,11th,7th and this term at very very best 7th with no Rangers for 2 of those terms and a Hearts side out of it, everyone involved at ER should be totally ashamed of this. It is a total disgrace and massive opportunity missed by gross incompetence.
    Hear hear

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

said it a few times myself this season...shame on whoever is/are responsible

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    well said. some people forget the good times last season. certainly better than a lot of Scottish football fans experience. can we do better? of course! but could be worse

The entire club, from top to bottom accepts mediocrity.... My personal opinion.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    We're far too soft both on and off the park.

The manner in which the players' so readily accepted the ludicrous offside decision by the linesman in the latest Derby was just another example.

I thought TB would have at least a winning mentality into the minds of the players by now but there's not much evidence of that either.

Left by mutual consent!
    ER Offices 2010: "Mr Petrie will see you now Mr Calderwood" fast forward if you will to November 2011 "Mr Petrie sorry I mean somebody else definitely not Mr Petrie as it has nothing to do with him will see you now Mr Fenlon"

We seemed to be heading in the right direction last year.The Malmo match booted us all in the guts before we'd even really got going. If we scrape through this season intact then we can only get better, i hope.

Of course we couldn't hold onto Brown etc forever but when you look back at how easily we let guys like Boozy and Shiels go, then factor in what we replaced them with... it's just disgusting.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    The entire club, from top to bottom accepts mediocrity.... My personal opinion.
    I don't think a lot of the fans do, just look at a lot of the discussion on here for example.

Left by mutual consent!
    There is not one thing or one time that clearly defines when it all went wrong. Just a succession of bad decisions.
    I think the main thing centres around the choice of managers. They got lucky with Mowbray. Or maybe they didn't. Maybe it was a carefully planned appointment.

Collins was the wrong choice ultimately though many of us (the board, the fans, the media) were seduced by the idea of JC as Hibs manager so there was not many saying it was a bad appointment at the time.

Mixu was the cheap option, he did not have the right experience but though it didn’t seem like it at the time as standards and expectations were a lot higher 5 years ago, looking back he actually did a no bad job given what has come since.

Yogi was a sensible appointment. He had served his time doing well at a smaller SPL club and was the sort of appointment we should have gone for. It never worked out of course.

Then comes the ridiculous in CC and Fenlon. Calderwood didn’t know Scottish football and had a patchy CV but I’m not sure he was a cheap option. Just the wrong option.

Fenlon was really the appointment they had to get right and they went for the cheap option. No suitable experience and no clue.
    I firmly believe if we had gone for a Butcher, a McCall or a McInnes at the point we went for CC or Fenlon, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I don't think a lot of the fans do, just look at a lot of the discussion on here for example.
    I would suggest a lot of fans do accept it now. More through boredom and frustration than anything else. It would be interesting to know how many would accept a mediocre 6th place finish next season. I would say the right manager is in place now, but I would still question whether the club has the ambition to back him. John Collins for me could have taken this club on but for a lack of ambition from the club. Will they be the same with butcher?? Remains to be seen. Just my opinion Gatecrasher

In my opinion, I think it was when Petrie allowed the players to come to his house so they could talk about their hardship with the clubs MANAGER!!!!!

If I was the chairman in that position, I would have told them all to come along and ushered them into the "lounge area" (cos he must have a big hoose) and have JC the gaffer sitting there waiting for them...!

Now that would have been a hell of a meeting!

A 5 minute chat to tell them to get their act together with regards the extra training, if not happy with the managers decision...move onto another club who wants to work on an amauter basis. Open the door and tell them to report back to training an hour earlier tomorrow morning...end of discussion!!

Imagine a player reporting back to the missus, eh, I've left Hibs (who pay our mortgages and other bills) because the training is too hard darlin'...they're wanting us to kick a baw aboot after lunch and maybe do a bit in the gym!!

Aye right...get oan yer bike.

Christ, every supporter would give their right dangly bit to play for their football team AND get paid loads of cash!

GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy4 View Post
    In my opinion, I think it was when Petrie allowed the players to come to his house so they could talk about their hardship with the clubs MANAGER!!!!!

If I was the chairman in that position, I would have told them all to come along and ushered them into the "lounge area" (cos he must have a big hoose) and have JC the gaffer sitting there waiting for them...!

Now that would have been a hell of a meeting!

A 5 minute chat to tell them to get their act together with regards the extra training, if not happy with the managers decision...move onto another club who wants to work on an amauter basis. Open the door and tell them to report back to training an hour earlier tomorrow morning...end of discussion!!

Imagine a player reporting back to the missus, eh, I've left Hibs (who pay our mortgages and other bills) because the training is too hard darlin'...they're wanting us to kick a baw aboot after lunch and maybe do a bit in the gym!!

Aye right...get oan yer bike.

Christ, every supporter would give their right dangly bit to play for their football team AND get paid loads of cash!

GGTTH

I find it hard to disagree with you , but I'm sure some will.