hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Paolo30

Tony Benn, Hibs Supporter?

Someone on the EEN comments page has claimed the late, great Tony Benn as on of our own?
    Anyone aware of this? If so, proof!?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mcphisto2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    someone on the een comments page has claimed the late, great tony benn as on of our own?
    Anyone aware of this? If so, proof!?
    lol

It's true he had a season ticket for the East,u would often see him conducting Section 43 into a singsong.

His Dad William Wedgwood Benn "served as MP for Leith from 1918 to 1927, following a distinguished war service. He supported the call for Leith to remian independent from Edinburgh in the "Lightning plebiscite" of 1920." taken from the council website.

Aye he was but stopped going when they banned baccy from the grounds...

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Isn't he still alive?

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Isn't he still alive?
    Died today mate.

@hibs.net private member
    I can't think of anyone I would rather sit next to in a football stadium than Tony Benn. A true legend.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    His Dad William Wedgwood Benn "served as MP for Leith from 1918 to 1927, following a distinguished war service. He supported the call for Leith to remian independent from Edinburgh in the "Lightning plebiscite" of 1920." taken from the council website.
    Was about to say that. My Leither granda used to talk fondly of him.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Died today mate.
    Absolutely gutted. He was really the last of the anti-establishment politicians who spoke out seriously about injustice, war, privatization. A great figure gone.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    Sad to hear of his passing...One of the few politicians that actually had the balls to say out loud what he thought...I have worked on his country pile out near Linlithgow, The House of Binns, on quite a few occasions and he was always happy to talk to the plebs....Nice guy and a Hibby... RIP
    Isn't that Tam Dalyell?

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I can't think of anyone I would rather sit next to in a football stadium than Tony Benn. A true legend.
    He attended Chesterfield games quite regularly, I remember him talking about their famous cup semi final against Juninho's Middlesbrough a few years back. Almost a historic upset.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Isn't that Tam Dalyell?

ooops...i always got those two maverik left wingers mixed up....your right of course, tony was the diaries and tam was the belgrano...better delete my previous post.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Died today mate.
    Ah, I just saw on the BBC app. Thanks for telling me. I agree with the comments on here, the last of his kind and a legend. I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

I can. Lots and lots of people in fact.

Not a legend for me. Central figure in making and keeping the Labour Party unelectable during Thatcher's time, extending her destructive reign in doing so. Interesting guy from a very privileged background who could afford to see successive Tory governments - because he didn't have to live the consequences of those governments. His pursuit of political purity and defence of Militant meant others paid the price.

Anyway, not a Hibee and not a thread for the main board in my view.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturdays Hero View Post
    It's true he had a season ticket for the East,u would often see him conducting Section 43 into a singsong.
    Remember seeing him up Cockburn Street tanning shop windows and chanting "Eddie Turnbull's Soccer Hooligans" the night we lost the Scottish Cup replay to Arbroath.

[QUOTE=One Day Soon;3931476]I can. Lots and lots of people in fact.

Not a legend for me. Central figure in making and keeping the Labour Party unelectable during Thatcher's time, extending her destructive reign in doing so. Interesting guy from a very privileged background who could afford to see successive Tory governments - because he didn't have to live the consequences of those governments. His pursuit of political purity and defence of Militant meant others paid the price.

Anyway, not a Hibee and not a thread for the main board in my view.[/QUOTE

He wasn't from an overly privileged background in as much as he wasn't from the aristocracy as some have claimed. And Tony Blair made Labour electable and that didn't do much to halt Thatcherism! If the world had more like Benn we'd be better off.

[QUOTE=portycabbage;3931492]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

He wasn't from an overly privileged background in as much as he wasn't from the aristocracy as some have claimed. And Tony Blair made Labour electable and that didn't do much to halt Thatcherism! If the world had more like Benn we'd be better off.
    How would you define the aristocracy?

He was Viscount Stansgate, as was his father.

[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;3931496]
    Quote Originally Posted by portycabbage View Post

How would you define the aristocracy?

He was Viscount Stansgate, as was his father.
    His father was made a lord which transferred to him, but he was from a middle class background. That's what was said on radio scotland this morning anyway. The labelling of him as some kind of gentry tends to be clung to by Tory grandees more than the workers he campaigned on behalf of.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=portycabbage;3931492]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

Got agree if more off our politicians had been like Tony Benn rather than Tony Blair I'm sure the UK and the rest of the world would be a better place

Testimonial Due
    Anyway surely he was a red?

Sat in a Labour Cabinet that closed twice as many pits than Thatcher ever did.Not something he liked being questioned about when he became a man of the people.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Just because he's deid will not alter my opinion - he was a mischievous argumentative auld rogue!

Speaking of famous polititians has anyone heard the Saddam Hussein was a hibee rumour? Genuinely serious too!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by #hibee View Post
    Speaking of famous polititians has anyone heard the Saddam Hussein was a hibee rumour? Genuinely serious too!
    Really!

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Really!
    Apparently so. It was George Galloway who got into Scottish Football apparently, during the McLeish era too.

Gengis Khan and Alexander the Great were both Hibby's, but I'm not sure about Attila, I think he might have been a Hun.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Sat in a Labour Cabinet that closed twice as many pits than Thatcher ever did.Not something he liked being questioned about when he became a man of the people.
    Care to provide evidence of the pit closure claim? Not saying you are wrong, just find it hard to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post
    Care to provide evidence of the pit closure claim? Not saying you are wrong, just find it hard to figure out.
    Its true, but isnt particularly relevant. Under Harold Wilsons government in the 60s, the bloated and inefficient coal industry was still operating as if it were wartime, (king coal literally powered the production of the war against Hitler)so strictly speaking there were more closures than under Thatcher. But the post war Labour party didnt close entire communities, employ a corrupt and politicised arm of the police force as a quasi military body, and declare war on an 'enemy within', so there is no sensible, objective comparison to be made between 1960s economic reconstruction on one hand and 1980s economic vandalism on the other.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 14-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post

Apologies, between 64 and 87 labour closed 70% of all pits closed, will have to look a the situation in greater depth before I comment further