hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar

Petrie is the one constant in all this

Managers come and go ...everytime we here the same
    Work within or means pish..how come motherwell...aberdeen...dundee utd all seem to do that but can attract better players..I have never been a petrie hater but he is the one constant in all this can it be all the managers we have employed faults over the years...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Work within or means pish..how come motherwell...aberdeen...dundee utd all seem to do that but can attract better players..I have never been a petrie hater but he is the one constant in all this can it be all the managers we have employed faults over the years...
    Bingo - you solved the mystery. What a relief! What's the plan from here?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Bingo - you solved the mystery. What a relief! What's the plan from here?
    Fan ownership?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    lol
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

spot on greenworld

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Merge with the other gash Rod thread
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

You are forgetting Tam McCourt. I blame him.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    You are forgetting Tam McCourt. I blame him.
    And the fandans.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member

I reckon it's you that's the constant...you're a jinx !!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Not many argued against the appointments when they were made though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    True for most of the appointments made but the support Fenlon received pre and for a good while post appointment was riddiculous for someone who had done nothing at any decent level in the game.

I was against the appointment all along purely as he did not have the credentials to be Hibernian or any other SPL team manager. Would have beeen "delighted to be proved wrong" but I wasn't.

Left by mutual consent!
    Petrie is surely not the only constant. There must have been other nameless blazers involved in all the incompetent running of the football side of things

Time has come where we need to speculate to accumulate a little bit. I firmly believe Butcher is the man for the job but he must be given financial support and an interference free reign on signings in and out.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Petrie has done as much as he can, imho. We've changed managers when things have gone wrong but not before he's given them time to get it right. He's backed each manager with as much money as the club can afford. He's built a training centre to give the managers the tools to do the job. He's held off selling players when managers have been adamant that they want to keep them and he's brought players to the club that managers wanted, where possible.
    What else does he needed to do? Team talks? Scouting? Tactics?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

He has mis-managemed the footballing side terribly,
    We all understand every manager is a bit of a gamble, but the actions he has taken, the timing of them and general backing of the wrong one's, makes the whole situation worse.

- Not sure he was involved in Fat Boab; But did we not pay him a very big salary? (compared to other managers we had around same time)
    - Did we back TM enough in the market? We paid him pittance as well..... and did we pay the players what they deserved, even per what we promised? I know through someone our CIS cup winning captain, and all I can say is Hibs don't always treat players very well, let alone a cup winning captain
    - Why was Hughes not good enough 1st time round, but then we go back for him? + Sacking through the season
    - Why was Calderwood not good enough 1st time round, then we go back for him?
    - Why did he stick by CC and lose us nice remuneration income - It was clear this was never going to work out for the better, + Sacking during season
    - Fenlon - Absolutely not a CV worthy of getting the Hibs job....Standing by your man through humiliation after humiliation, + Gone during the season

ETC ETC

(I didn't mention Mixu there, I think he was trying the 'young new manager' approach that worked with TM, and Mixu has proven to do well after Hibs... but clearly wasn't a great appointment, but I have too much respect for Mixu to say anymore than that)

If Petrie could see that Fenlon was not the right man and he wanted TB, then over summer is the right time to make that change. Gives TB a pre-season to shape things, these mid season changes, does nothing good for anyone.

I know a lot of clubs sack managers during the season, but we tend to do it 2-3 months into a season and go from transition to transition. MASSIVE player turnover, year after year.

It doesn't work and it appears we stumble next guy to the next guy. Finally, I think TB will come good, in fact I'm sure of it. It is painful though with another manager with ex managers' players.

Hibs are poor are getting things right that really matter, that is on the park. Other clubs with much less resources seem to outperform us with ease, year after year.
    Last edited by Craig_in_Prague; 10-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.

If it was any other line of business would he still be in a job ?, he is only there because Sir Tom thinks the sun shines oot his erchie !. Aberdeen were as bad as us for years but they have backed the manager with cash , look at the experience and better quality they have brought in recently and it is paying off for them, put some quality on the park or crowds will stay the same or drop even further or you can speculate and get home gates that will more than make up for what you spend. We will always be the same under parsimonious petrie but he will not be hurting as much as we are thats for sure.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    If it was any other line of business would he still be in a job ?, he is only there because Sir Tom thinks the sun shines oot his erchie !. Aberdeen were as bad as us for years but they have backed the manager with cash , look at the experience and better quality they have brought in recently and it is paying off for them, put some quality on the park or crowds will stay the same or drop even further or you can speculate and get home gates that will more than make up for what you spend. We will always be the same under parsimonious petrie but he will not be hurting as much as we are thats for sure.
    Aberdeen has been a basket case of a club of many a year before things appear to have clicked with McInnes. Still time for the wheels to come off that one although looks unlikely but the dandies have experienced many a false dawn too...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Petrie has done as much as he can, imho. We've changed managers when things have gone wrong but not before he's given them time to get it right. He's backed each manager with as much money as the club can afford. He's built a training centre to give the managers the tools to do the job. He's held off selling players when managers have been adamant that they want to keep them and he's brought players to the club that managers wanted, where possible.
    If only he was playing in the team, and doing the TTs scouting etc.

I'm sick to death of threads like this coming up after a loss, it happens, get over it. get a grip of yourselves.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeCraigy View Post
    I'm sick to death of threads like this coming up after a loss, it happens, get over it. get a grip of yourselves.
    Problem is, results like that have happened to us all too often recently and we have been under-performing for years. The reaction in the form of threads like this is inevitable.

@hibs.net private member

Petrie is like the white elephant in the room

Petrie is the constant, and don't tell me that others make decisions so its not Petries fault, nothing happens at ER without the nod from Petrie, thats how it is at every football club, the chairman has the final say, RP is not a football man yet he has the final say on football related matters, that's what the constant is and its why all the scapegoat managers are all wrong

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    That just reinforces the OP surely? If we are appointing the right people and have the budget and facilities required, but still fall short year after year, then the blame must lie at the top.

So is it petries fault we got beat by raith? I'm confused

I like how people start a stupid thread and never comment on it again. While all the regular posters go bananas and discuss at great detail the same ***** every time we get beat.

The point I am making it seems we could appoint
    The best manager in the world but it wouldn't work or
    that is how it is looking...they cannot all be at fault..

Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post

I like how people start a stupid thread and never comment on it again. While all the regular posters go bananas and discuss at great detail the same ***** every time we get beat.
    You know in a funny kind of way your right Yes it is
    partly his fault

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post

Its's Petries fault we are constantly no where near as well run as teams like Motherwell and Dundee Utd season after season yes.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    That's not a valid defense though. As fans we're not involved in the recruitment process or given insight into the parameters of the job. Petrie is (I'm still not convinced he has stepped back and doesn't have the final say) and was, responsable for making the correct appointment, not the most popular one.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've been here longer than petrie. I must be my fault. I'm out.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    RE the part in bold, and therein lies the problem IMO. If only he had the same grace and humility as Fenlon and held his hands up and stepped down. Instead we get the spin about unworkable legacies and mysterious 5 year plans to cover his own failings.

Rightly or wrongly Farmer doesn't lead from the top. Thus Petrie should be our leader and driving the values, ethos and performance of the club. Instead, under his watch we got to a position where the atmosphere, profesionalisim and culture of was so bad it required publically adressing as there was no way to spin what had been evident to us fans for a long time.

Under Petrie, what do we as a club stand for? Living within our means, yes that is the correct approach, but we are not unique in that outlook. What is our brand? Do we have a specific style of play? Is this practiced from all age groups to aid the transition to the first team? Does the phillosophy drive the recruitment of managers, or do we change our style based on the beliefs of each particular manager?

What is the mythical 5 year plan? Was there a plan for the previous 5 years and how do we know it's not the exact same plan that has spectacularly failed?

He financially backs managers as well as he can, I'm happy to accept that. However, I wonder if there is/has been any truth to the stories that there are restrictions on how that money is spent I.E quantity over quality.

In my eyes he is in very real danger of becoming synonamous with his own phrase - "unworkable legacies" despite the positives that he has delivered which he can't dine out on for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I reckon it's you that's the constant...you're a jinx !!
    Ive already thought of that and never went for a while
    no difference im afraid ....

Admins will need to change this thread title.

I'm pretty sure that Sir Tom has been at Easter Road at least as long as Rod.

That makes two constants.