hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Winter Olympics

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Winter Olympics

Not seen a thread on this yet - anyone watching?

Snowboard slopestyle final on just now and its brilliant!

2 Brits in the final and one of them sitting 2nd after the first run - loving it so far.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    My knees are aching just watching the moghills, my dodgy cruciate would snap again

Has anyone won the gay bashing yet?

I thoroughly enjoyed the aerial snowboarding. Quite unbelievable what they can do...

It's great tv. Plus the wee Norwegian lass in the snowboard final just now is rather easy on the eye.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm hooked! Have to say the men's ice dancing wasn't quite my cuppa tea but still watched it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Im currently obsessed with the ski jump, why do they have wee plants on the slope? To slow them down?

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im currently obsessed with the ski jump, why do they have wee plants on the slope? To slow them down?
    I was wondering the same thing, seems a bit daft to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Its so they can judge where the end of the jump is, otherwise its just a white void rushing towards them

A crash would liven it up imo.

The German Andreus **** doing well

Haha thought i was seeing things when they put his name up

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Has anyone won the gay bashing yet?

I thoroughly enjoyed the aerial snowboarding. Quite unbelievable what they can do...
    Good viewing but I wish I had turned the sound down. The 3 dickheads who were 'commentating' were uber annoying.

Give the Biathlon (skiing and shooting) a watch - it's a fantastic sport where you are never guaranteed a win until it's all over.

There are a number of different disciplines - sprint (against the clock), pursuit (where the winner of the sprint heads out first and is followed by the others at time intervals determined by the sprint), mass start (everyone starts together) and Individual ( the longest race distance wise).

The men and women (who are almost without exception, easy on the eye) are given equal billing and there's 3 relay races too.

The men's pursuit is on at 15:00 today.

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Good viewing but I wish I had turned the sound down. The 3 dickheads who were 'commentating' were uber annoying.
    Totally agree about the commentators although when they described a move as being like writing left handed while wearing a helmet made of chips and being attacked by a seagull i let out a little chuckle

the rest of the time they did my nut in

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Wow, big call there !...2-2 u.s vs Russia and they've disallowed a Russian goal !....clearly in, so no idea why it was not given...
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Wow, big call there !...2-2 u.s vs Russia and they've disallowed a Russian goal !....clearly in, so no idea why it was not given...

Goal net wasn't anchored; possibly a high stick as well.

Brave referee - Mr Putin will not be pleased ....

BTW - is it only me, or have the BBC assembled the absolute worst ever crew of "commentators" for these games?

Steve Cram and Jackie Whoever-She-Is were abysmal at the curling last night, and the guys commentating on the USA-Russia hockey were dreadful too.

Is there a "School For The Terminally Incoherent" somewhere from which the Beeb populates its sports departments? Or have they just drafted in a herd of Yahs from the Home Counties?

I excuse Robin Cousins from this - he knows what he's talking about, but wee Susie Barker? Nice lassie, but not a clue about figure skating. Stick to the bat-ball, hen.

First Team Breakthrough
    Commentators are abysmal. They mentioned Robert Luongo (Canadian ice hockey goal tender) being the toast of Canada and Toronto - he's from Montreal and plays for Vancouver so no idea where Toronto comes into it. And their pronunciation of some names is embarrassing.

First Team Breakthrough HibeeLR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba O'riley View Post
    Commentators are abysmal. They mentioned Robert Luongo (Canadian ice hockey goal tender) being the toast of Canada and Toronto - he's from Montreal and plays for Vancouver so no idea where Toronto comes into it. And their pronunciation of some names is embarrassing.
    I agree the commentators are shocking and that's why I watch it on mute :)

How good was that finish in the Britain v Sweden curling semi final?

2 brilliant finishes in the last 2 matches.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The captain David Murdoch has baws of steel with the last shots in those two games

Quote Originally Posted by Baba O'riley View Post
    Pronouncing Pacioretty with a hard 'c' is pretty funny.

Two comments by their 'expert' really annoyed me. One about Phil Kessel having a breakout year. Aye, this is a guy who in 8 seasons in the best league in the world has scored 30 goals 5 times (and of the other 3, one year he had cancer and in another they only played half a season because of a lockout). A player who's the 5th top scorer in the NHL over the past 4 seasons. But naw, this is his first big year...

The other had this idiot starts talking about how good Henrik Lundqvist is and he decides to use Goals Against Average as if it's a meaningful stat. Save percentage is the only worthwhile goalie stat and if this cheeseball is working in hockey management, he should know that.

It's not even that difficult to find this stuff out. Everything relevant is on either nhl.com, hockey-reference.com or extraskater.com. They could find out anything they needed with a half-hour's work.

Oh, and neither of them know that the 'A' some players have on their jerseys doesn't stand for 'assistant captain' it's 'alternate captain'. They don't even know the correct terminology.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The commentary on everything has been pish.

Oh no. It's 5-1 in the curling. Damn that haunts me!!!!!!

Ltyf! ;-)

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    A very poor performance in the Olympic Final by the Scottish/British team. It's always disappointing to lose a final but our guys just didn't compete and they lost the final as opposed to the Canadians actually winning it.

The Canadian team gave the impression of being both arrogant and obnoxious but nobody can deny that they were worthy winners.

Some gays managed to sneak in under the radar: