hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Easter Road, Why ?

Thought i new most things Hibs but a wee mate fi Elgin asked why is Easter Road Stadium called Easter Road when it's several hundred yards from ER.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

sounds better than albion place stadium

Could be a throwback to the first Easter road ground which was just yards from Easter road way back around 1880 to 1890? Other than that, dunno.

It's nothing to do with the street but the reserection of Jesus Christ - that's how we roll!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    One for the historians .( not me ) Was our original stadium not right next to Easter road on Bothwell street( bridge of doom . Lol) . I know we moved to our present stadium on the 23-2-1893 we opened it playing Clyde .

Ggtth
    Last edited by erin go bragh; 27-01-2014 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Hibs copied Arsenal's white sleeves but copied the ground-naming of Tottingham, whose ground is quite a bit away from White Hart Lane.

First Team Breakthrough Wighty76's Avatar
    From wiki - The stadium is named after the Easter Road some 300 metres to its west. The road is not named after Easter the festival, but Easter the compass direction, as evidenced in maps by its counterpart Wester Road (now Bonnington Road). It was the haunt of highwaymen before the area was developed. In April 1604 James Hardie of Bounmylnerig was found guilty of robbing Jacques de la Berge, a Fleming, of his gold and silver on the moor in this location. He was hanged at the Mercat Cross on the Royal Mile.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be a throwback to the first Easter road ground which was just yards from Easter road way back around 1880 to 1890? Other than that, dunno.
    I know the original ground was just off Boswell Street and we also played at Powderhall.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I know the original ground was just off Boswell Street and we also played at Powderhall.
    Dont think we played at boswell st mate. We've never played near Granton. Though i think we trained at wardie which is just along the road.our first ground was bothwell street. The road between the bridge and before it turns is around where the halfway line was.

I think I saw on an old map that the stadium (possibly in its original location) was in situ before the various streets around it. There was road running from Easter Road across to the stadium. Maybe it was called Easter Road because at that time there were no other streets to name it after?

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Dont think we played at boswell st mate. We've never played near Granton. Though i think we trained at wardie which is just along the road.our first ground was bothwell street. The road between the bridge and before it turns is around where the halfway line was.
    Defo played on Logie Green Road near Powderhall at some point. Dont know who belonged there.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...riginal-ground

Haven't looked in detail but some stuff on Hibernian Park here.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Defo played on Logie Green Road near Powderhall at some point. Dont know who belonged there.
    St Bernards had a gound on logie green road. Before they moved back to the gymnasium across at eyre place at the begining of the last century. Flippin eck i feel around 150 years old

the original stadium on bothwell street was called hibernian park was it no

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    It's Eastern road according to the twonk on the Beeb news channel yesterday - FAIL !
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I think I saw on an old map that the stadium (possibly in its original location) was in situ before the various streets around it. There was road running from Easter Road across to the stadium. Maybe it was called Easter Road because at that time there were no other streets to name it after?
    That's, what I've always thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This is from the old thread (link previous post), shows old ground where Bothwell St now is. Current ground would be where it says "Edinburgh Artillery", not much built then.
    http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?a...1&d=1356962941

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    We played in a Cup final there against Hearts many moons ago. Don't think we played there on a regular basis.

And yes, we lost 3-2 I believe. Probably a poor referee.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by vahibbie View Post
    We played in a Cup final there against Hearts many moons ago. Don't think we played there on a regular basis.

And yes, we lost 3-2 I believe. Probably a poor referee.
    It was 3-1, sadly

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wighty76 View Post
    From wiki - The stadium is named after the Easter Road some 300 metres to its west. The road is not named after Easter the festival, but Easter the compass direction, as evidenced in maps by its counterpart Wester Road (now Bonnington Road). It was the haunt of highwaymen before the area was developed. In April 1604 James Hardie of Bounmylnerig was found guilty of robbing Jacques de la Berge, a Fleming, of his gold and silver on the moor in this location. He was hanged at the Mercat Cross on the Royal Mile.

So Rod Petrie's simply maintaining a long-standing tradition, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Wighty76 View Post
    Hmm, does that mean Broughton Road and Eyre Place were also Wester Road I wonder? Or is one older than the other two?They're all basically the same road, along with Henderson Row and Hamilton Place which are further continuations of the same road. Interesting bit of info all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Hmm, does that mean Broughton Road and Eyre Place were also Wester Road I wonder? Or is one older than the other two?They're all basically the same road, along with Henderson Row and Hamilton Place which are further continuations of the same road. Interesting bit of info all the same.
    You might enjoy checking out this site ek

http://www.edinburgh.org.uk/STREETS/part1/e.htm
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    You might enjoy checking out this site ek

http://www.edinburgh.org.uk/STREETS/part1/e.htm
    what a fascinating website jb! So the 'Wester Road' (according to an anonymous source) began at what is now the Old Toll Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    what a fascinating website jb! So the 'Wester Road' (according to an anonymous source) began at what is now the Old Toll Bar?
    If the source is correct, aye!
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    I've never heard of a Wester Road to Leith.

Easter Road ( the street ) got its name because it was East of Leith Walk, the main route from Edinburgh to Leith

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom...FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Easter Rd is marked as Eastern Road on maps I've seen from the 1870's. As has been said previously, their were no streets of note around the ground when Hibs moved there, thus the name.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member
    If you look on http://www.old-maps.co.uk and search EH7 5QG you can see the old maps of the ground going way back. Looks like Easter Road was the nearest street to the ground. Leith Athletics ground was bigger than Easter Road and there was a cricket ground right next to the ground at one point.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I just seen a thing on facebook comparing this

to

Quite a difference eh?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Maybe it was marketed as easter road by the same estate agents that market houses in the inch as liberton or muirehouse as silverknowes

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I just seen a thing on facebook comparing this

to

Quite a difference eh?
    When was the first photo taken?

Or is it photoshopped?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!