hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Wawrinka in 4.

Decent match, very close.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Didn't catch too much of the match this morning but what I did see was pretty tight.

Those last three sets really could have gone either way with both players having their chances.

Big opportunity now for Wawrinka in his first ever Grand Slam final. He'll be a huge underdog in the final, regardless of who gets through tomorrow, but he's certainly a worthy finalist.

Really looking forward to the match in the morning. I'm excited by the way Federer is playing right now and I think he may have a gameplan which may trouble Nadal. However Nadal's record over Federer will give him confidence going into the match and it has all the ingredients for a classic.

Two of the greatest players to ever play the game going head to head for a place in a Grand Slam final.

Can't wait.

No-one watching this?

Good start by Federer but Nadal took control of the tiebreak and is now a third of the way towards the final.

Federer needs to be even more aggressive and finish the points off in five shots or less if he's going to stand any chance of coming back here.

He won't beat Nadal rallying from the back of the court for 15-20 shots.

Straight sets for Nadal. 7-6 6-3 6-3.

There was really only going to be one winner after he took the first set.

Can't see any way that he won't win on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Straight sets for Nadal. 7-6 6-3 6-3.

There was really only going to be one winner after he took the first set.

Can't see any way that he won't win on Sunday.
    Recorded this as thought it might be a bit of an epic.

Looks like it was quite straightforward though so not sure if I'll bother watching.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Watched the highlights on Eurosport this afternoon, pretty straightforward for Nadal.

He must be in agony with the state that the palm of his hand is in , doesnae seem to stop him playing some brilliant tennis though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Recorded this as thought it might be a bit of an epic.

Looks like it was quite straightforward though so not sure if I'll bother watching.
    It may have been a different story if Federer had taken the opening set.

After the tiebreak went Nadal's way, the outcome was pretty much inevitable.

Federer did try to come to the net but Nadal is one of the greatest in the world at passing his opponent when they are at the net. That's really why he is so tough to beat.

If you try and compete with him from the back of the court, you have no chance and if you try to keep the points short by coming to the net, it has to be a great shot for you to come in on or else he'll punish you.

I fully expect him to win Grand Slam title number 14 on Sunday. I realise more than half of those titles have been won at Roland Garros but if he wins on Sunday then it means he'll have won every Grand Slam title at least twice in his career.

Considering he's not even 28 years old yet, I think it's only a matter of time before he overtakes Federer's 17 Grand Slam titles.

Great result for Li Na this morning against Dominika Cibulkova.

The first set was a tight one which was eventually won on a tiebreak. However Li Na raced away with the second set to win 7-6 6-0 to win her second Grand Slam title and also winning the Australian Open title for the first time after two previous defeats in the final.

Wawrinka serving for the first set against Nadal at 5-3.

Wawrinka wins his first ever set against Nadal, 6-3.

Came back from 0-40 in that game.

Very impressive start.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Superb break at start of 2nd set too. Looking very good

Wawrinka breaks at the start of the second set.

If he keeps this up, he'll win in straight sets.

There must be a dip at some point though!

Surely!

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I can't see anything other than a Nadal retirement at present

@hibs.net private member
    Nadal takes 3rd. Looks to be moving better.

Is Wawrinka now being found out for relying on his serve too much?

Feel sorry for Nadal. He showed real heart to keep going there.

Pleased for Wawrinka though. Good to see someone else get their day in the sun.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I had to leave for Easter Road when it was at the end of the third set so haven't seen the end of the match yet.

I felt really sorry for Nadal today as you could tell he was in a lot of pain during that second set and he looked close to tears at one point.

Getting booed by the crowd probably didn't help either.

If there's one thing you can say about Rafael Nadal it's that his sportsmanship is not in any doubt.

I'm pleased for Wawrinka as he's certainly a talented player and for someone who has lived in the shadow of Roger Federer for so many years, it's nice to see him create a few headlines of his own.

He's had a lot of good fortune during the tournament though. Andrey Golubev retired hurt in the second set of his first round match, he had a walkover in his third round match as Vasek Pospisil pulled out through injury and Rafael Nadal was certainly far from 100% today with his back injury.

I'm glad the match came to a natural conclusion though.