hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paul Cairney

Left by mutual consent!
    How many assists does Paul have now? Must be a fair few.

Paul just seems to have something about him that defenders don't like, he's not the quickest but he can certainly go past a player. I'd keep him next season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    A player that can get past a man at ER? It will never catch on.

There was a time when an unpredictable but talented chance maker was always going to be a feature of a Hibs team. Cairney out O'Brien in.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Cairney certainly has something that a lot of our other players don't and when he plays well is a real asset. However the most telling thing is that this thread lays dormant for 3 months in between decent performances.

Every game is a cup final for Cairney now, if he has any chance of getting a new deal he needs to put together a run of good performances. Yesterday was a start however all that's done is earn him a place in the team for the next game, he needs to play well in that game too and show between now and the end of the season he can play well consistently at this level which so far he has failed to do.

I think that he is too inconsistent. He was good in patches yesterday but I thought that he hid from time to time. Maybe this is a confidence thing but I did not see someone bursting a gut 100% of the game and, just now, that's what's needed. I think that Butcher will move him on in the summer.

I'd rather have inconsistant than constantly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it a wee bit strange as well. He's inconsistent, certainly. He's had a couple of shockers, yes. But he's capable of doing something when he's on form. My mate made a good point yesterday that since he's been at the club the two best runs of results that Butcher and Fenlon have had coincided with him being in the team. Not saying that's down to him single handedly but it is worth pointing out. The thing that I find a wee bit strange is the level of praise other players that have played in a wide position have received for industry work rate etc in comparison to the praise Cairney receives (or doesn't) when what he did had a major affect on the game yesterday.

Butcher appears to get the best out of him and he was sidelined because of illness apparently, I thought that was the best 45 minutes of football we have seen for a few weeks. Thought Cairney was in with a shout of MOM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    At least he is capable of doing good things though. Top of the assists chart two seasons in a row, despite missing large chunks of both years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    Sorry but that is the biggest load of rubbish. He creates goals, don't you want that? He makes an impact when he plays and is our most creative and direct player. I hope he is offered a new deal. Of course he is good enough
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Bizarre isn't it. A player who has been key to most of our good moments this season, yet some fans want him out. He is not the perfect player, he makes mistakes, but look at his assist/goal record. I hope he stays.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I find it a wee bit strange as well. He's inconsistent, certainly. He's had a couple of shockers, yes. But he's capable of doing something when he's on form. My mate made a good point yesterday that since he's been at the club the two best runs of results that Butcher and Fenlon have had coincided with him being in the team. Not saying that's down to him single handedly but it is worth pointing out. The thing that I find a wee bit strange is the level of praise other players that have played in a wide position have received for industry work rate etc in comparison to the praise Cairney receives (or doesn't) when what he did had a major affect on the game yesterday.
    Is it wrong to want better than he offers? He has had far more poor games than good ones. We have paid top dollar for a management team and scout that I hope will deliver better than Paul Cairney. I think the lack of creativity we have endured for a number of years now has dulled the senses here. He is not good enough for top flight football based on his performances for Hibs. If this is the standard we want to settle for then I despair.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    I think that he is too inconsistent. He was good in patches yesterday but I thought that he hid from time to time. Maybe this is a confidence thing but I did not see someone bursting a gut 100% of the game and, just now, that's what's needed. I think that Butcher will move him on in the summer.
    Which is the problem with most of our team. I said in another post that whatever permutation we play, they all have the capabilities to play really well and really badly, thats why most of them need punted.

We have far too many players who are just not good enough, the league tables tell the real story every season.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Is it wrong to want better than he offers? He has had far more poor games than good ones. We have paid top dollar for a management team and scout that I hope will deliver better than Paul Cairney. I think the lack of creativity we have endured for a number of years now has dulled the senses here. He is not good enough for top flight football based on his performances for Hibs. If this is the standard we want to settle for then I despair.
    Of course it's not. I just think he offers more than some players that will likely be retained.

Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    PC is a really frustrating player. In far too many games, he looks disinterested, doesn't work nearly hard enough, and in many instances is a complete liability. I've lost count of the times he loses the ball in midfield, exposing us to counter-attack, when a simple pass or cross was needed. However, when his confidence is up and he actually gives a ****, he can be our most effective attacker and adds a lot to the team. Sadly, in our current team he's too much of a luxury when we need 11 interested players on the field.

Left by mutual consent!
    No harm to PC he is ok but we need to look at getting better than him in if we really want to push on next season. He'd get nowhere near the starting line ups of Aberdeen and Motherwell and as this is where we should be aiming for next year then he should not be someone we are looking at, not for first XI. Dundee United were supposed to be keen in him though I don't think he is good enough for their starting line up. Maybe they are looking to take him as a squad man. He might go there and do well like John Rankin has but it's not working for him at hibs after 2 seasons so for me it is time for him to go.

I think he's borderline as far as getting a new deal at Hibs is concerned. I agree with the comments about his consistency, but he's good going forward, chips in with a few goals and quite a few assists. He's not the fastest but has a fair bit of skill IMO.There's quite a few worse players than him at Hibs, but the thing that I'm wondering is that just how much Butcher will have to spend in the close season, because if there's a mass clearout as a lot of people on here are predicting, how much money will we make from that? Cairney might be one of these players that is worth keeping, even just as a squad player.