hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Minder's Avatar

Match - Spot Fixing - Akpo Sodje

Todays Sun. Not good, I know this is a Sun scoop - but "Mazher" usually has the goods before going to print, especially when co-ordinated arrests take place. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Is it not his brother that's involved?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately no. All 3 brothers.

"Akpo...promised he would deliver a yellow card"
    Last edited by Minder; 08-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Yes, first post is libelous.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I remember watching Sky one day, it could have been soccer saturday or a programme like that, and there was an interview with a player who admitted they would get the ball from the kick off and boot it straight out for a throw.

He said that they used to bet on it, they bet on when the first throw in would happen. I also seem to think Matt Le Tissier agreed with this, and said he used to do this? The player was a Southampton player, Scandinavian if i remember correctly, can't remember the name?

I wonder if Le Tiss will be interviewed about this, is this not the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon70 View Post
    Read the article in full.

its not libel if you are reporting on the content of a newspaper report. The article itself might be libel but nothing wrong with minder's post.

Coaching Staff
    No it's not - it's merely commenting on a media story now out in the public domain. The story itself may be libelous, not the post about the article - that's merely highlighting it's airing in public.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I remember watching Sky one day, it could have been soccer saturday or a programme like that, and there was an interview with a player who admitted they would get the ball from the kick off and boot it straight out for a throw.

He said that they used to bet on it, they bet on when the first throw in would happen. I also seem to think Matt Le Tissier agreed with this, and said he used to do this? The player was a Southampton player, Scandinavian if i remember correctly, can't remember the name?

I remember an interview from le tiss describing the situation. All he had to do was boot it out from kick off and he booted it only for the "pass" to be inch perfect and one of their attackers collected the ball. From what I remember Le Tiss said it was only a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No it's not - it's merely commenting on a media story now out in the public domain. The story itself may be libelous, not the post about the article - that's merely highlighting it's airing in public.
    Got there first

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    is it not his brother sam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25288657

Sam Sodje was filmed by the Sun on Sunday describing how he punched an opponent in a League One game to get a red card in exchange for £70,000.
    He also said he arranged for another player to be paid £30,000 for getting a yellow card in a Championship match.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

Sam Sodje was filmed by the Sun on Sunday describing how he punched an opponent in a League One game to get a red card in exchange for £70,000.
    He also said he arranged for another player to be paid £30,000 for getting a yellow card in a Championship match.

It's in that same article.

bbc:
    And it reported that Mr Sodje's brother Akpo, a striker at Tranmere Rovers, had said he would be prepared to be paid to be booked.Oldham Athletic said in a statement: "Oldham Athletic Football Club has been made aware of the incident and allegation surrounding one of its players, Cristian Montano. The club will commence an immediate internal investigation to establish all the relevant facts of the case.

is it not his brother Sam
    The BBC are reporting that Akpo was possibly involved too.

It seems unlikely he'd have been doing it when he was with us, he only got booked once in his entire time with us.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH_MYB View Post
    I remember an interview from le tiss describing the situation. All he had to do was boot it out from kick off and he booted it only for the "pass" to be inch perfect and one of their attackers collected the ball. From what I remember Le Tiss said it was only a one time thing.
    The Scandinavian player did say it was something they did regularly, perhaps Le Tiss is covering his erse?

The Scandinavian player did say it was something they did regularly, perhaps Le Tiss is covering his erse?
    yeh that is very possible. It wouldn't help his pundit career much if he admitted to getting away with it regularly.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH_MYB View Post
    It's in that same article.

bbc:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    The BBC are reporting that Akpo was possibly involved too.

It seems unlikely he'd have been doing it when he was with us, he only got booked once in his entire time with us.

i re-read that article 3 times and no mention of his brother...until i just refreshed the bbc page...and it's appeared now

70,000 grand just to punch someone,i could do that,george street anyone for a square go and we wil go halfers

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I wonder how much our own bet on failed throw ins!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Regarding the throw-in scam, what happens if you lose the toss and the other team take centre?

Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    Regarding the throw-in scam, what happens if you lose the toss and the other team take centre?
    I think the bet was for a "throw-in in the first minute or something" so you would probably see a marked difference in the effort of the players involved for that first minute as they try to get the ball. Or if you're playing against Hibs, the opposition would oblige with a kick off routine that gets the desired outcome .

Edit: just read Blackpool's link

He alleged, in an interview in his native Norway, that he used club staff to put big bets on incidents in games — like who would win the first throw-in — then ensured they happened after conspiring with opposition captains.

Last edited by WestEndHibee; 08-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.

That was Matt Le Tissier, was in his book when he retired

Hmm... Makes you wonder how much our strikers might be pocketing for turning up week after week and never scoring any goals...

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    DJ Campbell now been arrested for match fixing.

Tip of the iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Tip of the iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    DJ Campbell now been arrested for match fixing.

Tip of the iceberg.
    Whats Nicky supposed to have done ?

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    It's amazing how many folk jumped to correct the op without actually reading the article. Hibs.net at its best!!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Wonder when it will come out that Craig Thomson has been chucking big bucks on red and yellow cards for Hibs players for the past few years...

Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem in this? As long as It doesn't affect the game I couldn't give two ****s, if I was in the same position and offered 70k to get booked there's a very strong possibility I'd have done it

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds green View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem in this? As long as It doesn't affect the game I couldn't give two ****s, if I was in the same position and offered 70k to get booked there's a very strong possibility I'd have done it
    But it does affect the game.

1. Player 1 gets a yellow. His subsequent play is therefore affected by the idea that he is one silly tackle away from a red card.

2. Player 2 gets lamped and is therefore wary of the next hard tackle coming in.

3. Coach of Player 1 might decide to hook him in case he gets the second yellow.

4. Coach of Player 2 might have to hook him.