hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    My best pal is heading out on Wednesday for tests 3,4 & 5. Cost him £5k before booze. Safe to say he isnt too happy with the score!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean Prior?

It's a shambles, really. But it's not unusual, surely.

What WAS unusual was England first winning the Ashes and then managing to hold on to them for another 2 series.

BTW - I see Siddle got Pietersen AGAIN. I think that's now 9 times Siddle's taken Pietersen's wicket in Test matches.
    Yeah, Prior. Cheers.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Be over before lunch IMO.

11/2 for the whitewash is tempting
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Be over before lunch IMO.

11/2 for the whitewash is tempting
    Indeed. Very few matches end in draws these days unless the weather intervenes. England still to prove that they can knock over this lineup twice.

Gamer IDs

This time next week it will all be over.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

You mean Prior?

It's a shambles, really. But it's not unusual, surely.

What WAS unusual was England first winning the Ashes and then managing to hold on to them for another 2 series.

BTW - I see Siddle got Pietersen AGAIN. I think that's now 9 times Siddle's taken Pietersen's wicket in Test matches.
    Siddle is inside the Afrikaan's head

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This time next week it will all be over.
    That's the spirit

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Siddle is inside the Afrikaan's head

Well, there certainly appears to be plenty of empty space in there for him.

I watched the end. Broad's dismissal was utterly stupid - he and Prior had got to the point where with care they and the others might have kept things going till after lunch, which would have retrieved some pride and given the Aussie bowlers a wee bit to think about, but he scores one 6 and immediately tries for another and gets out. Donkey!

Prior seemed to throw in the towel at that point - he'd been going well, too - and played an idiot shot and caught down leg-side. (Doh!)

Swann looked scared stiff - nice wee dab off-stump, thank you very much, mate; Anderson did well enough in the circumstances; Monty was just Monty and no blame attaches.

Nasser said something good in the after-match talk - the really annoying thing to him is that so many of them don't seem to be capable of learning from their mistakes, the one exception he mentioned being Joe Root, who IMO comes out of this Test well. Root's second-innings knock was top-class played straight, didn't let Johnson get under his skin, scored well and occupied the crease for nearly four and a half hours. A 22-year-old on his first Australian tour showing the senior men how to conduct themselves.

IMO some of those England guys thought they just had to turn up to win. Four successive Ashes series wins would be a record - did they really think Australia wouldn't fight tooth and nail to stop that? Those guys, and the media pundits who encouraged that attitude, are getting exactly what they deserve.

Four days till Perth. I'd bring Finn in if fit for Swann, leave the batting as is since they did play a bit better this innings, and kick Broad hard up the backside every time he's about to go onto the pitch. That moight get through to him - it's apparently where he keeps whatever brains he possesses.
    Last edited by --------; 09-12-2013 at 02:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Well, there certainly appears to be plenty of empty space in there for him.

I watched the end. Broad's dismissal was utterly stupid - he and Prior had got to the point where with care they and the others might have kept things going till after lunch, which would have retrieved some pride and given the Aussie bowlers a wee bit to think about, but he scores one 6 and immediately tries for another and gets out. Donkey!

Prior seemed to throw in the towel at that point - he'd been going well, too - and played an idiot shot and caught down leg-side. (Doh!)

Swann looked scared stiff - nice wee dab off-stump, thank you very much, mate; Anderson did well enough in the circumstances; Monty was just Monty and no blame attaches.

Nasser said something good in the after-match talk - the really annoying thing to him is that so many of them don't seem to be capable of learning from their mistakes, the one exception he mentioned being Joe Root, who IMO comes out of this Test well. Root's second-innings knock was top-class played straight, didn't let Johnson get under his skin, scored well and occupied the crease for nearly four and a half hours. A 22-year-old on his first Australian tour showing the senior men how to conduct themselves.

IMO some of those England guys thought they just had to turn up to win. Four successive Ashes series wins would be a record - did they really think Australia wouldn't fight tooth and nail to stop that? Those guys, and the media pundits who encouraged that attitude, are getting exactly what they deserve.

Four days till Perth. I'd bring Finn in if fit for Swann, leave the batting as is since they did play a bit better this innings, and kick Broad hard up the backside every time he's about to go onto the pitch. That moight get through to him - it's apparently where he keeps whatever brains he possesses.
    I think you're right in saying that Finn should play instead of Swann. He might go for a few but he is genuinely quick and does take wickets. Swann looks like he's lost it but his slip fielding may earn him a reprieve. I suspect they'll want to shore up the batting so could see Panesar and Stokes dropping out for Bresnan and Ballance.

Well, there certainly appears to be plenty of empty space in there for him. I watched the end. Broad's dismissal was utterly stupid - he and Prior had got to the point where with care they and the others might have kept things going till after lunch, which would have retrieved some pride and given the Aussie bowlers a wee bit to think about, but he scores one 6 and immediately tries for another and gets out. Donkey! Prior seemed to throw in the towel at that point - he'd been going well, too - and played an idiot shot and caught down leg-side. (Doh!) Swann looked scared stiff - nice wee dab off-stump, thank you very much, mate; Anderson did well enough in the circumstances; Monty was just Monty and no blame attaches. Nasser said something good in the after-match talk - the really annoying thing to him is that so many of them don't seem to be capable of learning from their mistakes, the one exception he mentioned being Joe Root, who IMO comes out of this Test well. Root's second-innings knock was top-class played straight, didn't let Johnson get under his skin, scored well and occupied the crease for nearly four and a half hours. A 22-year-old on his first Australian tour showing the senior men how to conduct themselves. IMO some of those England guys thought they just had to turn up to win. Four successive Ashes series wins would be a record - did they really think Australia wouldn't fight tooth and nail to stop that? Those guys, and the media pundits who encouraged that attitude, are getting exactly what they deserve. Four days till Perth. I'd bring Finn in if fit for Swann, leave the batting as is since they did play a bit better this innings, and kick Broad hard up the backside every time he's about to go onto the pitch. That moight get through to him - it's apparently where he keeps whatever brains he possesses.
    For me it's been the arrogance of the English prior to going out. I think that they had it in the bag even before a ball was bowled. Clarke made a total arse of Cook prior to the first test by announcing the English team which had been given to him by Coik. Australia were never given a hope in hell by the media etc and this seemed to fuel them.

Yeah there has been some mind games but the capitulation of the English batsmen has been a disgrace. (And quite funny really)

So it's make or break in the next test but tbh I can't see anything but an Aussie victory.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    For me it's been the arrogance of the English prior to going out. I think that they had it in the bag even before a ball was bowled. Clarke made a total arse of Cook prior to the first test by announcing the English team which had been given to him by Coik. Australia were never given a hope in hell by the media etc and this seemed to fuel them.

Yeah there has been some mind games but the capitulation of the English batsmen has been a disgrace. (And quite funny really)

So it's make or break in the next test but tbh I can't see anything but an Aussie victory.

I think some of the England players are beginning to find their form, and there's no doubt that when they're on form England are a formidable team.

The English always seem to have something to moan about in Australia - if it's not the nasty fast bowlers assaulting the poor England batsmen, it's the horrible rude fielders swearing at them or the punters in the stands not making fun of them. Or the newspapers winding them up.

If Cook considers himself to have been badly treated by Clarke and the Aussie papers, he should remember the story of Dougie Jardine and Bill Woodfull during the Bodyline series of 32-33.

Jardine complained to Woodfull that one of the Aussie players had called him (Jardine) a b*****d.

Woodfull turned to his players and asked in a loud voice, "OK, you b*****ds, which one of you b*****ds called this b*****d a b*****d?" Collapse of D R Jardine.

It's an Ashes series, and everything that's happened so far has been no more than par for the course. And it's nothing personal. Aussies do it to everybody - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvkjrw2FMY

(And if they think that Johnson's bowling has been 'hostile' in the last two Tests, they should ask Mike Atherton about the 4th Test at Trent Bridge in 1998. Remember David Gower's commentary - "Vicious, really really vicious, straight, right at the target, which in this instance was the head ..." and his later observation that between them Atherton and Donald could write a book, "not that it would be publishable, not in its full form."

Atherton was later asked if Donald had been 'verbally abusing him'; his answer was, "I don't speak Afrikaans."

Ah, the cricketing banter. All good fun.)

It seems really ironic that the Englishman who seems to have handled himself best so far in this series is Joe Root, the youngest player in the team and a guy on his first Ashes tour.
    Last edited by --------; 09-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.

I think some of the England players are beginning to find their form, and there's no doubt that when they're on form England are a formidable team. The English always seem to have something to moan about in Australia - if it's not the nasty fast bowlers assaulting the poor England batsmen, it's the horrible rude fielders swearing at them or the punters in the stands not making fun of them. Or the newspapers winding them up. If Cook considers himself to have been badly treated by Clarke and the Aussie papers, he should remember the story of Dougie Jardine and Bill Woodfull during the Bodyline series of 32-33. Jardine complained to Woodfull that one of the Aussie players had called him (Jardine) a b*****d. Woodfull turned to his players and asked in a loud voice, "OK, you b*****ds, which one of you b*****ds called this b*****d a b*****d?" Collapse of D R Jardine. It's an Ashes series, and everything that's happened so far has been no more than par for the course. And it's nothing personal. Aussies do it to everybody - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvkjrw2FMY (And if they think that Johnson's bowling has been 'hostile' in the last two Tests, they should ask Mike Atherton about the 4th Test at Trent Bridge in 1998. Remember David Gower's commentary - "Vicious, really really vicious, straight, right at the target, which in this instance was the head ..." and his later observation that between them Atherton and Donald could write a book, "not that it would be publishable, not in its full form." Atherton was later asked if Donald had been 'verbally abusing him'; his answer was, "I don't speak Afrikaans." Ah, the cricketing banter. All good fun.) It seems really ironic that the Englishman who seems to have handled himself best so far in this series is Joe Root, the youngest player in the team and a guy on his first Ashes tour.
    The problem they've had Doddie is most of their batsman have been 'off form'. They have therefore struggled from the off.

It'll be good to see what happens in the next test because unless they get off to a half decent start then I think they will struggle once again.

Gamer IDs

The problem they've had Doddie is most of their batsman have been 'off form'. They have therefore struggled from the off.

It'll be good to see what happens in the next test because unless they get off to a half decent start then I think they will struggle once again.

I HOPE the next one'll be good.

I've REALLY enjoyed this series so far.

I HOPE the next one'll be good. I've REALLY enjoyed this series so far.
    Ha ha you evil man. I don't have sky but watch the highlights with interest. I am hoping for a white wash tbh. :-D

I am hoping for an England revival in the next test if only to make the series more interesting.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Ha ha you evil man. I don't have sky but watch the highlights with interest. I am hoping for a white wash tbh. :-D
    I go to bed with the radio on I'm afraid.

Perth test will produce a result. The wicket's so fast and bouncy they say if you're batting you should never look back because you'll get freaked out by how far back the keeper and slips are standing. Apparently Jeff Thomson once bowled a ball which bounced on the track then hit the sightscreen on the full.

However, if you manage to get in there's lots of runs to be scored. Consolation is that the Aussies from the eastern states also have problems adapting to the Perth wicket.

Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I am hoping for an England revival in the next test if only to make the series more interesting.
    Yep. Cannae beat sitting with a few beers on Christmas Night watching.

Well, you can beat it actually. But it is enjoyable!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Yep. Cannae beat sitting with a few beers on Christmas Night watching.

Well, you can beat it actually. But it is enjoyable!

It may just be my evil mind, but you might like to rephrase this post somewhat .....

(What Kenneth Williams used to call a "double insinuendo".)

It may just be my evil mind, but you might like to rephrase this post somewhat ..... (What Kenneth Williams used to call a "double insinuendo".)
    He he!!!

It may just be my evil mind, but you might like to rephrase this post somewhat .....

(What Kenneth Williams used to call a "double insinuendo".)
    Perfectly happy with my choice of words!! :o)

Oz currently 313/6 so prob just shading it after cook losing another toss. Can't understand bresnan playing. Plus he's bowled the most

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    If the Aussie's get 375-400, its all over. England have a horrible record at that venue and they've not exactly batted well so far this series.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    If the Aussie's get 375-400, its all over. England have a horrible record at that venue and they've not exactly batted well so far this series.
    375 - 400 is the least they will get.

I think England will struggle to get anywhere near 250 tbh. Too many batsmen out of form.

I think it's all over already.

Gamer IDs

"The highest first-day total on this ground in Ashes history" - of dear!

"And by the end England were looking horribly short of ideas as their troubled tour went through another disheartening day...."

Insufficient and inadequate preparation for possibly the most important series in their history would be my diagnosis. Four in a row would have been the record.

I hope they lose this one. I want to hear Beefy explaining where the 5-0 went to.

"The highest first-day total on this ground in Ashes history" - of dear! "And by the end England were looking horribly short of ideas as their troubled tour went through another disheartening day...." Insufficient and inadequate preparation for possibly the most important series in their history would be my diagnosis. Four in a row would have been the record. I hope they lose this one. I want to hear Beefy explaining where the 5-0 went to.
    I hope they lose the lot (as you've said). Quoting a commentator from yester year

'They think it's all over'

I think the Aussies will be disappointed if they don't reach at least 450. Piling on the pressure.

Pleasing

England 205 behind with 6 wickets still in the hutch. Siddle should have the South African stuffed and mounted after getting him for a tenth time.

Crazy to think before today Johnson has scored more runs than any Englishman but has not taken a wicket in 38 overs

Decent scores required from Bell, Stokes, Prior and Broad.

I agree 3pm, but out of the four, only Bell has looked capable of getting a big score so far in this series. Massive ask for someone of Stokes inexperience to get a big score under this sort of pressure and Broad and the rest of the tail could easily get blown away again.

England will have to hope Prior is running into a bit of form.

If England lose an early wicket tomorrow you could see them being all out for less than 250 whilst if the roles were reversed you could see Australian getting 350+.

Gamer IDs

Bell goes for 15 after a good lbw review.

190-5

Gamer IDs

Stokes goes for 18

198-6