hibs.net Messageboard

ATP World Tour Finals

Anyone been watching this during the past few days?

I've not seen as much as I would have liked due to work but what I have seen has been pretty impressive.

No Andy Murray unfortunately, due to injury, but still a great line up.

In group A, Rafael Nadal has already sealed his place in the semi finals after two victories from two matches. In doing so, he has also ensured that he will finish the year as world number one.

The other spot from that group will be claimed by either Tomas Berdych or Stanislas Wawrinka. Berdych may still win the group, if he beats Nadal and David Ferrer beats Wawrinka. However Wawrinka will qualify if Nadal beats Berdych and he beats Ferrer.

Ferrer is already out after two losses.

In group B, Novak Djokovic has qualified for the semis after two straight wins from his opening two matches. The other place will be taken by the winner of the match between Juan Martin Del Potro and Roger Federer, who are due to meet each other in the final match.

The winner of that match could still top the group, if Djokovic has a straight sets defeat to Richard Gasquet.

Gasquet is already out after losing his two opening matches.

Should be an exciting last few of days from the O2.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The semi final line up was completed yesterday as the final two group matches took place.

Group A was finished on Friday and Rafael Nadal finished top of the group after a three sets victory over Tomas Berdych and Stanislas Wawrinka finished runner up after also winning in three sets against David Ferrer.

In Group B yesterday, Novak Djokovic confirmed his place as group winner after securing a three sets win over Richard Gasquet and Roger Federer came from a set down and also 3-0 down in the deciding set to beat Juan Martin Del Potro to finish as runner up.

So today's semis are;

Rafael Nadal v Roger Federer
    Novak Djokovic v Stanislas Wawrinka

Personally I don't see any outcome other than Nadal v Djokovic in the final.

Usually go down to this but not this year due to partners ill health. Not really been same without Murray.

Weird to think today was first time nadal has beaten federer indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usually go down to this but not this year due to partners ill health. Not really been same without Murray.

Weird to think today was first time nadal has beaten federer indoors.
    I heard a report on the match earlier stating that Nadal had now beaten Federer on all surfaces. I just assumed that he had wrapped up that particular stat years ago given how dominant he is in the head-to-head.

No surprise that the final is being contested between Nadal and Djokovic.

Really tough one to call. They are the two best players in the world by some distance right now and both are in fantastic form. Nadal's results since his return from injury in February have been incredible although there have been signs of a slight dip recently as he has failed at the semi final stage in his last two tournaments. Djokovic, on the other hand, is currently on a 21 match winning streak, his last defeat coming in September in the US Open final.

Nadal is finishing the year as the world number one, regardless of what happens in the match, but I can see Djokovic trying to prove a point to show Nadal that he is going to be coming after him in 2014.

I'm working until 10pm today so I won't be able to watch it live so I'm going to record it and watch it when I get in.

Great win for verdasco in the doubles. Played the whole week with a big grin on his face.

Going for djokovic tonight. Wasn't pushed last night and reckon he will just do it.

Not long finished watching the final.

Great display by Djokovic, very well deserved and I'm sure he'll be raring to go in the new year to try and reclaim that world number one spot.

Roll on 2014.