hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: TV Golf

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

TV Golf

There's nobody likes the game of golf more than me but something really needs to be done about the ridiculous slow pace of play on both the PGA and European tours.

TV coverage is almost at the stage where the sport is unwatchable because of the painful amount of time the players take before committing to a shot. Veiled threats have been made by the legislative bodies regarding penalties for slow play but until such time that they practice what they preach then the slowcoaches will continue to tediously plod their away along.

It's ruining golf as a spectator sport and will do nothing to attract new players to the game so it's time to act decisevely before it's too late.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It has a direct affect on joe bloggs and their attitude to playing the game too, 5 hour rounds are considered acceptable.I'd put players on the clock as soon as they reach/find their ball...120 seconds or penalty stroke.

I'd also ban jury by TV, which is getting equally bad.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I recently read a terrific biography of Moe Norman, and his answer to slow play was to lie on the fairway pretending to sleep during tour events at what back then would probably have been rounds touching 4 hours at most. He didn`t bother too much with yardages and lining up putts, and when asked why he would reply " Why? Have they moved the course since yesterday?" He didn`t like to hang about on the first tee either, one time playing in the Canadian Open the starter announced " On the tee, the Canadian Amatuer Champion ...." WHHAAACK "...Moe Norman" and with that he was half way up the first before the started had finished announcing his introduction!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Good thread - I had this discussion with my dad the other day. Both of us are keen golfers but unlike him, I can't stand watching it on TV. I'll make an exception for the Majors or the Ryder Cup but otherwise, I've no interest.

I'm aware quite how much in terms of both financial and professional gain rests on making the cut and then finishing as high up as is possible but it's becoming an epidemic - all players these days appear to take an age to hit their shot once they reach their ball.

I enjoy the break of being out on the course and 4 hours on a golf course to me is 4 hours well spent but when we start to creep near 5, I lose any enjoyment. I once got stuck in a 3 ball behind a 4 ball playing around The Carrick - 4 Americans on holiday who were absolutely dreadful but had been fully kitted out in the clubhouse prior to going out, had 4 caddies with them (who looked as unhappy as us, as there's no chance they were getting back out for a second round) and kept stopping to take pictures whilst point blank refusing to let us go through...5 hours and 45 minutes later, I was off the course. It takes away the enjoyment and also forces you to completely lose track of your own game as you're stopping/starting becoming increasingly agitated by the continual waiting.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good thread - I had this discussion with my dad the other day. Both of us are keen golfers but unlike him, I can't stand watching it on TV. I'll make an exception for the Majors or the Ryder Cup but otherwise, I've no interest.

I'm aware quite how much in terms of both financial and professional gain rests on making the cut and then finishing as high up as is possible but it's becoming an epidemic - all players these days appear to take an age to hit their shot once they reach their ball.

I enjoy the break of being out on the course and 4 hours on a golf course to me is 4 hours well spent but when we start to creep near 5, I lose any enjoyment. I once got stuck in a 3 ball behind a 4 ball playing around The Carrick - 4 Americans on holiday who were absolutely dreadful but had been fully kitted out in the clubhouse prior to going out, had 4 caddies with them (who looked as unhappy as us, as there's no chance they were getting back out for a second round) and kept stopping to take pictures whilst point blank refusing to let us go through...5 hours and 45 minutes later, I was off the course. It takes away the enjoyment and also forces you to completely lose track of your own game as you're stopping/starting becoming increasingly agitated by the continual waiting.
    I'd have hit thru them or asked one of their caddies to get the course marshall.They're not following the rules of golf, unless The Carrick has a local rule?I've had stand arguments on golf courses with dumbos who don't know the rules and refuse to let me thru.Generally I find it with more senior members when I'm a visitor and they feel entitled to do as they want.
    I've also walked of courses (I'm thinking of The Glen) as all you can see is 4 ball after 4ball after 4ball, sometimes 3 per hole.That's the fault of the pro/starter and their desperate attempt to get enough cash to survive.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I'd have hit thru them or asked one of their caddies to get the course marshall.They're not following the rules of golf, unless The Carrick has a local rule?I've had stand arguments on golf courses with dumbos who don't know the rules and refuse to let me thru.Generally I find it with more senior members when I'm a visitor and they feel entitled to do as they want.
    I've also walked of courses (I'm thinking of The Glen) as all you can see is 4 ball after 4ball after 4ball, sometimes 3 per hole.That's the fault of the pro/starter and their desperate attempt to get enough cash to survive.
    Which is part of the problem really, particularly at guest-dominated courses such as The Carrick - the amount of money they make from tourists and visiting groups means they're probably reluctant to piss off the paying visitors, completely ignoring the fact the members and indeed paying visitors who CAN complete a round in a desirable time, also pay for the privilege. Increasingly courses prioritise visitors to the detriment of their members and justify the income as the excuse, negating the fact that their base funding comes from annual memberships.

I had a row with a course marshall when I visited one of the more reputable courses in Edinburgh a few years back, when, in the middle of the first fairway having completed our shots (the group in front had held us up and had just left the green), we were approached and told that we had to keep pace to the group in front (not as a polite request whilst setting out but in a 'hurry it up' type manner). The chap was promptly dismissed.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    There's nobody likes the game of golf more than me but something really needs to be done about the ridiculous slow pace of play on both the PGA and European tours.

TV coverage is almost at the stage where the sport is unwatchable because of the painful amount of time the players take before committing to a shot. Veiled threats have been made by the legislative bodies regarding penalties for slow play but until such time that they practice what they preach then the slowcoaches will continue to tediously plod their away along.

It's ruining golf as a spectator sport and will do nothing to attract new players to the game so it's time to act decisevely before it's too late.

Slow play is a disease in the amateur game also.

We get round in 3 hours on a Sunday morning on the wee course, and it's 4 hours on the Medal .. anything longer is unacceptable in my view.

Golf should be a brisk walk between shots...

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Slow play is a disease in the amateur game also.

We get round in 3 hours on a Sunday morning on the wee course, and it's 4 hours on the Medal .. anything longer is unacceptable in my view.

Golf should be a brisk walk between shots...
    People now refuse to contemplate their shots until it's their turn, THEN they start to pace out yardages/check wind direction/duff it 30 yards.You should be thinking about your shot when walking up to your shot, by the time it's your turn, pull the bloody trigger!

And don't wait until the group infront is 340 yards away 'incase you catch it', the average driving distance on The PGA tour is less than 340 yards!