hibs.net Messageboard

Mayweather v Alvarez

Undoubtedly the fight of the year is only 2 days away. Anyone watching?

By far and away the toughest fight Mayweather could take at the moment, far tougher than Pacquaio. Probably the toughest fight he has ever had imo. Floyd seems well aware of this as well as he has been hugely respectful towards Alvarez. He's always respectful post fight hut pre fight he usually likes to wind his opponent up, this time he is calling Alvarez a 'great champion' 'the best out tyere' and has billed the fight the 'best v the best'.

Tough fight to call imo. Alvarez has obvious advantages in power, size and strength. But Floyd is Floyd. He is the master at changing his tactics as needed during a fight, he works fighters out and he rarely gets hit. His hand speed and reactions are still lightning fast and despite being in his late 30s there still aren't many miles on the clock. He also seems genuinely interested in and motivated by boxing for the 1st time in years.

Mayweather by tight decision for me. Possibly split

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    You know more about boxing than me, i thought that this was going to be a close fight but I've read a fair few predictions from current boxers and experts who say that Alverez only has a punchers chance

they say he hasn't really proved himself against anyone of Mayweathers stature yet, but Floyd has been there and done it

they mostly agreed on a unanimous points decision due to Mayweathers lack of knock out power these days but reckoned he might walk it

Im certainly looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know more about boxing than me, i thought that this was going to be a close fight but I've read a fair few predictions from current boxers and experts who say that Alverez only has a punchers chance

they say he hasn't really proved himself against anyone of Mayweathers stature yet, but Floyd has been there and done it

they mostly agreed on a unanimous points decision due to Mayweathers lack of knock out power these days but reckoned he might walk it

Im certainly looking forward to it
    Yeah i've been surprised by how easy some people seem to think it will be for Mayweather. Don't get me wrong i think he will win but it will be a tough fight.

If Alvarez can make it a messy fight and get left hooks in to the body and head then he has a chance. I'm convinced the secret to beating Floyd is to not care where you hit him. If you throw a big right and it hits his shoulder then who cares? Throw it again, knock him off balance then try and force a left hand through. Because he usually leads with the right now (as opposed to his fantastic jab at lower weights) Floyd can occasionally be open to a left hook.

If Mayweather is smart enough to box on the outside and make sure he lands obvious, clean shots (and he probably is) then he will win.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Undoubtedly the fight of the year is only 2 days away. Anyone watching?

By far and away the toughest fight Mayweather could take at the moment, far tougher than Pacquaio. Probably the toughest fight he has ever had imo. Floyd seems well aware of this as well as he has been hugely respectful towards Alvarez. He's always respectful post fight hut pre fight he usually likes to wind his opponent up, this time he is calling Alvarez a 'great champion' 'the best out tyere' and has billed the fight the 'best v the best'.

Tough fight to call imo. Alvarez has obvious advantages in power, size and strength. But Floyd is Floyd. He is the master at changing his tactics as needed during a fight, he works fighters out and he rarely gets hit. His hand speed and reactions are still lightning fast and despite being in his late 30s there still aren't many miles on the clock. He also seems genuinely interested in and motivated by boxing for the 1st time in years.

Mayweather by tight decision for me. Possibly split
    A fairly decent analysis apart from the bolded part. As always, he's come across terribly in the pre-fight buildup. He's an incredible control freak, so for that weird little sh*t Leonard Ellerbe to be publicly calling Canelo's team 'idiots', you can bet that he's been told by Mayweather to say that.

I think Mayweather is rightly a pretty strong favourite, as Canelo has never really fought a top level opponent for me. Trout was as near as he got, and although he came through pretty comfortably, Trout isn't in the same universe as Floyd. But on the same tack, Mayweather hasn't ever fought anyone as naturally big and strong as Canelo who has a degree of ring craft and a bit of power. For me, Alvarez is going to have to be unbelievably fit, as he has to be putting the pressure on from the beginning to end of every round to try and unsettle Mayweather. Ortiz was going well against Floyd until a cheap shot derailed him. I don't think Canelo is that stupid as to fall for that trick.

Matthyse v Garcia looks a real cracker too. I'm going for a 4th or 5th round KO for Matthyse, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Garcia knocked him out either.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    What time is this fight looking to start at.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    What time is this fight looking to start at.
    3.30/4ish
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Fight booked cant wait for it.

I had the privilege of meeting Mayweather in 2009 in Vegas and he was a gentlemen, took the time for a photo and made the effort to chat.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    3.30/4ish

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I hoped to stay up for this but I've had a few drinks too many. Falling asleep in the couch with my wee dog just now! Looks like ill have to watch it in the morning.

Mayweather in a unanimous points decision for me

Any suggestions for an online feed for this?

Never mind the Burns fight last week, if you want a farcical decision then look no further than the judge who called that a draw.

Very easy nights work for Mayweather. Totally negated the power of Alvarez, landed counters at will especially in the early rounds and never took more than 2 or 3 solid shots.

There must be a way to beat Floyd but i sure as hell can't see what it is.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Never mind the Burns fight last week, if you want a farcical decision then look no further than the judge who called that a draw.

Very easy nights work for Mayweather. Totally negated the power of Alvarez, landed counters at will especially in the early rounds and never took more than 2 or 3 solid shots.

I cant see anyone beating him, most fighters change the way they fight with worry over mayweathers hand speed and try to box him, not going to happen so until he looses that speed he'll have no worries....and with floyd being a smart as he is if his speed goes he'l stop he won't be one of those guys who hangs around too long, greatest of all time IMO

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Mayweather didn't even break sweat there, you just can't hit the guy, as said above people always change their gameplan against him, you are on a hiding to nothing against this guy, you may as well steam in and see what happens as if you try and box him there will only be one result

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I recorded it and have just sat down and watched it. It was a pretty tame affair i thought, with Mayweather strolling through the fight winning clearly by at least 5 rounds, yet as you say one judge called it a draw?

Was the judge related to Craig Thompson?

I was a little disappointed in the fight, not the greatest fight we will ever see, but as you say he's a great fighter and there must be a way to beat him?

It could be age rather than anything else that catches him in my opinion, certainly i don't see anyone out there to beat him just now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I recorded it and have just sat down and watched it. It was a pretty tame affair i thought, with Mayweather strolling through the fight winning clearly by at least 5 rounds, yet as you say one judge called it a draw?

Was the judge related to Craig Thompson?

I was a little disappointed in the fight, not the greatest fight we will ever see, but as you say he's a great fighter and there must be a way to beat him?

It could be age rather than anything else that catches him in my opinion, certainly i don't see anyone out there to beat him just now.
    I think at one time Jose Luis Castillo had the plan to beat Mayweather. In both tgeir fights he kept him under relentless pressure, battered shots to the body on the inside and never let Floyd settle into a flow.

Mayweather being as smart as he is though went away and worked on his inside fighting. Ricky Hatton tried the same as Castillo and, despite a bit early success, took a horrible beating and was picked off all night.

Alvarez tried a bit of the same in the middle rounds but again was picked off at will. I genuinely started to feel sorry for him as he looked totally lost as to what to do.

What makes Mayweather so hard to beat is how he is constantly evolving as a fighter. If you watch his fights at super featherweight and lightweight he is a totally different fighter now than he was then.

I honestly can't think of a fighter who would even run him close at the moment. Adrien Broner maybe but that fight is unlikely to happen as he and Mayweather are very close.