hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Hanlon

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That picture shows absolutely nothing...

Paul Hanlon goes to attack the ball and receives a call from Nelson...

Hanlon ducks and is therefore in front of Nelson who clears the ball...

Unfortunately for us the header back at us comes that quick and is that long that a fast attacker has got in behind us... Very similar to our goal in the cup tie at Killie last season, sometimes there is nothing you can do... Hanlon can't run through the other defender to get back in position.
    Get goal side, step up and play the man offside. There's always something you can do if you are good enough.

For me Mullen should have done a lot better.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Get goal side, step up and play the man offside. There's always something you can do if you are good enough.

For me Mullen should have done a lot better.
    When it happens that quick? There was about a two second turnaround from one header to the next, no time to get back goal side after stepping in to make a clearing header and no time to step up and play offside as the ball is already on its way back... Apart from Hanlon who was getting out of Nelson's way, the other three were in line, just the boy had a lot of pace and broke clear.

When it happens that quick? There was about a two second turnaround from one header to the next, no time to get back goal side after stepping in to make a clearing header and no time to step up and play offside as the ball is already on its way back... Apart from Hanlon who was getting out of Nelson's way, the other three were in line, just the boy had a lot of pace and broke clear.
    Yes that quick, you have to be aware where your man is all the time, especially defenders.

Mullen had come in to cover but switched off and let the man get in front of him. As i said if you are good enough you mark correctly, we have very few who are good enough.

First Team Breakthrough H1B33 1875's Avatar
    Hanlon is not good enough for Hibs! Got lucky a couple of times yesterday, should have been punished. Hes no longer a youngster breaking into the team , he has no excuses, hes got a good few seasons under his belt. Seems to be untouchable under Fenlon tho, other defenders are dropped for poor form, never Hanlon, gets picked no matter what sort of form he is in, add to that he continuosly gives the ball away with his cross field balls which very rarely find a player! Before anyone has a go, just my opinion.
    Last edited by H1B33 1875; 05-08-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Continuing rant

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    That goal was pretty much 100% on Mullen's shoulders. Surely only folk desperately looking for reasons to bash Hanlon are using this as a stick to beat him with?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H1B33 1875 View Post
    Hanlon is not good enough for Hibs! Got lucky a couple of times yesterday, should have been punished. Hes no longer a youngster breaking into the team , he has no excuses, hes got a good few seasons under his belt. Seems to be untouchable under Fenlon tho, other defenders are dropped for poor form, never Hanlon, gets picked no matter what sort of form he is in, add to that he continuosly gives the ball away with his cross field balls which very rarely find a player! Before anyone has a go, just my opinion.
    Fenlon made a comment about ball watching at the goal ... Hanlon continually ball watches...,
    Hopefully Pat was talking about him and brings Forster or McGivern in to partner Nelson on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    That goal was pretty much 100% on Mullen's shoulders. Surely only folk desperately looking for reasons to bash Hanlon are using this as a stick to beat him with?
    You'd have to be blind to try and blame anyone else. I have not been Hanlons biggest fan, but the goal apart we did look ok defensively on Sunday, not great but ok.

Now that will be partly down to having the midfield virtually sitting on their toes all game, our style of play invites teams to attack us, so eventually we are bound to offer up a chance for the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I agree he should have done better but IMO the CHs are far from blameless as their positioning was terrible. you expect your full back to tuck in of course, but he was asked to tuck too far over IMO. Thought we defended alright most of the game tho to be fair.

reckon Paul would do a cracking job as a sweeper or a sitting midfielder he is young and going to get better just feel he is wasted at centre half and has makings of a top player

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    reckon Paul would do a cracking job as a sweeper or a sitting midfielder he is young and going to get better just feel he is wasted at centre half and has makings of a top player
    To be a sweeper you need to read the game and have total awareness of where all your team mates and the opposition

Sadly Paul has none of these qualities

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The ball must have travelled 40 yards or so, Mullen had loads of time to get in the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The ball must have travelled 40 yards or so, Mullen had loads of time to get in the right position.
    Its all about being aware.

@hibs.net private member
    I made a thread a few weeks ago wondering who the new "boo boy" would be now that Spoony had been hounded out of Easter Road. Could have a winner- he has been blamed for the goal, criticised for dribbling the ball out of defence, criticised for hoofing the ball up the pitch and others that I don't think he was guilty of. Personally I don't think he was that bad yesterday. There are a lot things worse at Hibs than Hanlon.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I made a thread a few weeks ago wondering who the new "boo boy" would be now that Spoony had been hounded out of Easter Road. Could have a winner- he has been blamed for the goal, criticised for dribbling the ball out of defence, criticised for hoofing the ball up the pitch and others that I don't think he was guilty of. Personally I don't think he was that bad yesterday. There are a lot things worse at Hibs than Hanlon.
    Hanlon must hate it when Stevenson has a good game.
    45 AND RISING

This is all so harsh.. If we could stick a couple of goals in at the other end,all the fine toothpick dissecting of bad defending would be on someone else's forum.

I reckon that goal would have been prevented by a fully fit McPake rushing back with a trademark last ditch.