hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Hanlon

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar

Paul Hanlon

Ok i have said this before and i will say it again - Paul Hanlon is never a Centre Half.
    Have watched the goal 3 times and Nelson heads the ball , Paul Hanlon watches it and at no time at all looks where the centre forward is, there guy returns the header and Hanlon watches the ball as it drops over his head and as a result has no chance to get back.
    Paul Hanlon is not a Centre Half and since he has been in the Hibs team we have continually had a rotten defense. He ball watches and never has a clue where the centre forward is and thats it in a nutshell.

2. Log in to remove the advert

DefenCe not defenSe. We live in the UK.

Singling Paul Hanlon out for special treatment is pretty poor IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok i have said this before and i will say it again - Paul Hanlon is never a Centre Half.
    Have watched the goal 3 times and Nelson heads the ball , Paul Hanlon watches it and at no time at all looks where the centre forward is, there guy returns the header and Hanlon watches the ball as it drops over his head and as a result has no chance to get back.
    Paul Hanlon is not a Centre Half and since he has been in the Hibs team we have continually had a rotten defense. He ball watches and never has a clue where the centre forward is and thats it in a nutshell.
    Mullen played the man on ( maybe!) Hanlon was in correct position & why are you picking on him when we have 2 CB's?

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Mullen played the man on ( maybe!) Hanlon was in correct position & why are you picking on him when we have 2 CB's?
    Good point

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    dare I say it....he's a poor man's Gary Caldwell

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    DefenCe not defenSe. We live in the UK.

Singling Paul Hanlon out for special treatment is pretty poor IMO.
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    If you follow the lins on the grass it looks like their mans foot was just offside to me, probably not a big enough margin for the linesman to spot at the time though but looked a tad off to me

And whilst I do agree that Paul Hanlon isnt the best of CB's its very harsh so single him out today when personally I didnt think he did anything too catastrophically bad, especially when both Forster and McPake were out so options were limited.

Thought Paul was good today actually.

How can you single him out for the goal?

The other CH cleared with a header whilst he was doing this Hanlon should have been looking where the forward is and he doesnt , watch it not once does he look he just follows the ball.

Ive defended hanlon time and again but he was very poor today letting sutton bully and harrass him the whole game... And his attempts at clearances were woeful at best!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Thought Paul was good today actually.

How can you single him out for the goal?
    Ok watch it and explain why I shouldnt, i have explained why i blame him.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Hate to say it. But when a player gets singled out time and time again by fans, it tends to paint a picture.

Hanlons not the only hole in our defence. But he's certainly one of them.

There were signs when he 1) sliced a ball across the box which should have been easily cleared, 2) tried to take his man on instead of booting the ball out the park 2nd half. what was all that about. lucky to get the freekick.

Below average defender, but seemingly largely immune to criticism

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    Good point
    Great point here Paul you are in the correct position watching your fellow CH clearing the header dont worry where there centre forward is ....... That would be 5 yards away from you and goalside.

First Team Breakthrough
    Goin' do one

Nelson was out of position for the goal but i suppose that was Hanlon's fault ehh. Get of his back. He's the best we have and can pass the ball unlike others.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Blame Fenlon not the players. The players are only playing where they are told to.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by OrdHibby View Post
    Goin' do one

Nelson was out of position for the goal but i suppose that was Hanlon's fault ehh. Get of his back. He's the best we have and can pass the ball unlike others.
    Nelson came forward to win a header, where to expect Hanlon with a view of the whole park to cover him. Instead Hanlon caught out and watches a 60yard ball sail back over his head. That's my view anyway

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I thought it was probably Mullen that should have done better, although Nelson should have been in a better position, probably his only mistake of the game and we concede a goal.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Blame Fenlon not the players. The players are only playing where they are told to.
    Funny. I always thought that a CB played in more or less the same position in every game!

Quote Originally Posted by OrdHibby View Post
    Goin' do one

Did you even watch the game Nelson won the header just explain to me what Hanlon was doing

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Yes it's all Hanlon's fault again! Give it a rest FFS, the stick Hanlon gets on here is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yes it's all Hanlon's fault again! Give it a rest FFS, the stick Hanlon gets on here is ridiculous.
    It isn't IMO. A very poor defender with little obvious attributes.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Great point here Paul you are in the correct position watching your fellow CH clearing the header dont worry where there centre forward is ....... That would be 5 yards away from you and goalside.
    I need to Look at this again

My problem with hanlon is that he never attacks the ball and he also gets bullied very easily.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    My problem with hanlon is that he never attacks the ball and he also gets bullied very easily.
    Its a failing throughout the team.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    It isn't IMO. A very poor defender with little obvious attributes.
    Aye right then!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz1875 View Post
    There were signs when he 1) sliced a ball across the box which should have been easily cleared, 2) tried to take his man on instead of booting the ball out the park 2nd half. what was all that about. lucky to get the freekick.

Below average defender, but seemingly largely immune to criticism
    The sliced ball across the box was an error, the taking on his man, he got fouled and the free kick - any yet people still slag him for trying to do something other than hoof up the park or out the pitch.

As for immune to criticism there is not a week goes by without a thread about Hanlon or Stevenson. There is regularly 4 or 5 players every game who are worse than these two but as they have been around for a time they are constantly picked on. Am convinced both would be first picks in most SPL teams, including those that are above us, and yet they are the root to all the problems and never footballers. We have enough problems at the club without 7000 managers in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Aye right then!
    Enlighten me to what they are.

Mines is an opinion watching him play for the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    Enlighten me to what they are.

Mines is an opinion watching him play for the last 4 years.

yep and those 4 years we have been rank rotten and had some of worst defeats in decades. He has somehow remained in the defence. Not doubting he is a good player, but not good enough. Not hard enough, gets bullied and bottles it. He was slicing the ball all over the place today because Sutton was bullying him, he was nervous instead of assertive. I would love to play against Hanlon, give hi a shove and i would know i've won the mental battle

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Funny. I always thought that a CB played in more or less the same position in every game!

That will be why hes played left back for hibs too.