hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Next manager?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't agree with BH (bit of that going on today ) when he suggested we scrap the youth set-up and sign non-British players but I'm with him on appointing a contintental manager. We are or at least were known as a club of firsts and while it wouldn't actually be a first appointing a manager from say Holland it would show some innovative thinking rather than the same old names being trotted out. I'd even settle for another transitional period if the new man had us playing football in an entertaining way, he signed players that are athletic, who have good control and who look to pass the ball to their team mates, not hoof it up to them at chest height.

I'm all for us signing Scottish players who can do all that, but i dont see any we could afford or any who would get us into a position we'd qualify for the group stages of the Europa league.

Which is why i think we need a change of direction. Maribor top players, and a team that qualified for the league stages were on 4000 euros a week. I'd like to see us tap into that market, and others like it. Until our players from these shores are up to it, i can't see why not?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Bring back Mixu

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

I'm all for us signing Scottish players who can do all that, but i dont see any we could afford or any who would get us into a position we'd qualify for the group stages of the Europa league.

Which is why i think we need a change of direction. Maribor top players, and a team that qualified for the league stages were on 4000 euros a week. I'd like to see us tap into that market, and others like it. Until our players from these shores are up to it, i can't see why not?
    You're setting your sights a lot higher than I am ! I'd be happy (at least for now) if we regularly qualified for europe through our league position. Tbh I don't care where a player is from, but you are correct in that we should be looking to sign players from other markets not just the UK one. In saying that there are some good Scottish youngsters capable of taking us forward e.g. Gary Mackay Steven signing for DUFC from Airdrie.

But it is also nice to see young home grown players coming into the first team. I think we both agree that Alex Harris could be a real star, it is because of players like him that I think we should continue with our youth policy.

It's been mentioned before, but of all the poaching Celtic have done from us possibly the one that had the biggest impact was them taking John Park. I'm sure if he was still there we probably would have signed players from countries such as Slovenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Next manager Top 3 please no excuses.
    Alex McLeish
    Martin O'Neill
    Tony Pullis

Poyet
    Warnock
    Burley
    Houston
    Levein

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    Alex McLeish
    Martin O'Neill
    Tony Pullis

Poyet
    Warnock
    Burley
    Houston
    Levein

McLeish, burley, levein??

I've got some export in the fridge but after Thursday, I'd happily leave it to smoke whatever you are on with that list

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    John Collins back with a remit to reshape the club from top to bottom. Complete professional who with time would make our club a respected professional outfit again.

I would bite your hand of to get JC back.

However as long as Petrie is still there this ain't happening. RP refused to back him previously so if we can somehow dislodge Petrie JC won't entertain any return.

What about that boy Baxter? Every Fvkkers heard of him, must be a great manager, been connected with every job in Scotland at one time or another.

Seriously though, Fenlon should be gone, Jimmy Nichol should be asked to become caretaker untill the 1st of December, when he will be installed permanently, or replaced. A win win for both parties, Hibs can go through a selection process at their leisure, the job becomes Nichol's to lose. If he performs, the job is his, if he fails, he's out, and the new manager gets to assess the deadwood, before the transfer window opens.
    GGTTH
    Last edited by Hibs07p; 28-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.

First Team Regular West hamBERNIAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlton View Post
    Alex McLeish
    Martin O'Neill
    Tony Pullis

Poyet
    Warnock
    Burley
    Houston
    Levein
    Poyet is the only name on that list of interest to me and we'd be of no interest to him. I'd like a good coach from a team that plays football properly and we can get back to playing football. A coach from Swansea who could implement there coaching routines with our young squad could be really good. Of coarse they would have to have aspirations to be a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by West hamBERNIAN View Post
    Poyet is the only name on that list of interest to me and we'd be of no interest to him. I'd like a good coach from a team that plays football properly and we can get back to playing football. A coach from Swansea who could implement there coaching routines with our young squad could be really good. Of coarse they would have to have aspirations to be a manager.
    Dean Smith from Walsall could be interesting...but would require a fee.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by West hamBERNIAN View Post
    I agree. If we were to have a new manager I'd like it to be someone with modern ideas and a more european coaching style.

However i would imagine it would be hard to find someone who could successfully do that with our budget and the reputation of our league.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thinking out loud, Danny Wilson ex Blades boss

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Steve Kean
    No no no

First Team Breakthrough Moon unit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Thinking out loud, Danny Wilson ex Blades boss
    Top guy,good coach!..

First Team Breakthrough
    I like the sounds of Collins or McLeish but I don't like the idea of moving backwards, we need to begin a whole new era for this club.

Signing a foreign manager is all well and good but regardless of nationality he needs to be up to the job. Calling for a foreign manager seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the Malmo game.

There's a certain type of man we need right now, first and foremost we need a bit of steel. We need a huge culture change, that doesn't mean saying the right things or little marketing campaigns but a real change in mentality.

My preference would be Jimmy Calderwood. He's proven in Scotland and his teams play some decent stuff. There's the Jimmy Nicoll connection too.

I'd be perfectly happy also with Kenny Shiels. I can't see him standing for these kind of performances and he's proven he can work with youngsters and I think we're going to have to look to our youngsters. I'd be pretty uninspired but I couldn't argue with Peter Houston either.

On the other hand there's the up-and-comers, notably Murray and Hartley. I couldn't care about Hartley being an ex-Jambo, if he succeeds he'll win over the fans.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Nope but kicking people off the park isn't football. Unless you're hoping to emulate Uruguay circa 1986.
    Having watched plenty south american fitba, particularly in the last 3 years, these guys know exactly how to kick people off the park. There is also plenty who want to be football players and play the beautiful game. At the risk of sounding like some of these ex pro Scottish players who think they have some sort of knowledge unbefitting of lesser individuals, I think it would be no bad thing if the team I supported had stronger, harder, more athletic & all round better players than the opposition in the league my team played in, with more skill & leading to better results than the teams around my team. And a manager to run this team so that success in Scotland was at least expected from all of our club. But everyones got an opinion here. From my playing days though I liked having in my team players in the mould of say John Blackley, Jackie Mac, Geebsie, skill & desire, but hey, teams like Uruguay etc, hard men in the opposition? Bring it on. Lets see who can kick hardest, but make sure if you try it its a good one cos if I'm still here in 5 minutes you wont like whats coming next.

First Team Breakthrough
    For everyone suggesting Butcher, could I suggest we have a look at ICT's chief scout Steve Marsella instead.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lr19 View Post
    I like the sounds of Collins or McLeish but I don't like the idea of moving backwards, we need to begin a whole new era for this club.

Signing a foreign manager is all well and good but regardless of nationality he needs to be up to the job. Calling for a foreign manager seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the Malmo game.

There's a certain type of man we need right now, first and foremost we need a bit of steel. We need a huge culture change, that doesn't mean saying the right things or little marketing campaigns but a real change in mentality.

My preference would be Jimmy Calderwood. He's proven in Scotland and his teams play some decent stuff. There's the Jimmy Nicoll connection too.

I'd be perfectly happy also with Kenny Shiels. I can't see him standing for these kind of performances and he's proven he can work with youngsters and I think we're going to have to look to our youngsters. I'd be pretty uninspired but I couldn't argue with Peter Houston either.

On the other hand there's the up-and-comers, notably Murray and Hartley. I couldn't care about Hartley being an ex-Jambo, if he succeeds he'll win over the fans.
    I'd like a foreign manager and you might call it a knee jerk reaction, you might even be right? What i will say in my defence is, the names you throw up don't get my juices going, and the british/scottish way is not working now.

Under this current way of coaching we have gone so far back, we are miles away from competing in Europe, even at the lowest end of the game.

They could get us doing well in the SPFL, although i have my doubts. I think a complete new way of thinking is the way forward, but i don't just want any old foreigner, due diligence would need to be done when recruiting the new man.

A man who knows the foreign market, someone bright and young brought up in playing the game the proper way.

Someone more likely to bring in more professional players than we currently see coming through in Scotland. Players stronger bigger and technically superior to anything i see at this moment in time.

Where my thoughts fall down is, Look who would be appointing this new manager, and could we afford it?

On the first point i'd have no confidence in him getting it right, and on the 2nd point i don't know the cost and could we do it on our budget?

Left by mutual consent!
    I just want PF to GTF. Bring in anew guy with contacts downn south and bring in players from lowers leagues with control and PACE. Saw games on TV and lots of guys looking for clubs. I would also sign Andy Webster who has not yet signed for Killie.

@hibs.net private member
    When you look at the managers that are setting new standards now, they are a new bread. They work deeply with sports science as well as football coaching. Their regimes have modern training, deep interval based fitness regimes, high focus on nutrition and recovery. They also use new thinking in the technical side of the game introduce new formations based around possession and deep awareness in their players of what to do in the game. They literally have learned behaviour that the know where to be and what to do.

Im talking about the Mourinho, AVB, Guardiola, Wenger, Martinez, Klopp, Bento. The reason Ferguson lasted so long was that he was incredibly open to learning and changed his approach notable over his 30 years as a boss. He brought in people around him who brought in new approaches.

There are a new bread emerging again. Martinez, Olli Solskjaer

Now we can obviously not get any of these guys, but when Fenlon goes, we should replace with someone who has these new methods and beliefs . Joh Collins did, unfortunately it would appear his man management skills didn't match his coaching philosophies. Great leaders need both technical capability and highly developed people skills. Mowbray was the nearest we had.

I've no desire to see us heading back the way Collins, Mcleish et al have moved on. So should we. Equally though, I've don't believe we should go for a Scottish "football man" e.g. Jimmy Calderwood. These are people versed in the past. We should be scouting to find the next Mourinho, AVB before the get their big break. Let us be their first success story.

So I'm not advocating for a foreign coach, I arguing for the right coach. Irrespective of where they come from. One that brings with them modern, and now proven ways, of maximising performance in players and teams.

These guys are starting to be well known in the game.

Paul Clements - english ex PE teacher, has now worked with Ancelotti at Chelsea, PSG and now in the first team coaching set up at Real Madrid.

Ian Cathro - youngest ever Scottish academy coach in Scotland - with Levein at United at the age of 22. He is now assistant at Rio Avenue in Portugal. He moved as he couldn't see Scottish teams being open minded enough to let him develop his career.

Ross Wilson - Head of Football at Huddersfield Town

Dan Ashworth - He is now head of Elite football development at the FA - obviously we cant hire him, too expensive, but let's go and speak to him and get his view of who the next AVB, Mourinho's etc are...They will know them..

It takes real vision and guts at the top of a football club to do something different and against common opinion. Such as Arsenal did when the brought in Wenger. Remember the headlines - "Arsene Who". The same reaction that most us gave when Mowbray arrived. We need new vision and a new philosophy. Perhaps one that this message board will rebel against at first. I don't see the way forward in a name that we recognise, it should be one of the new bread, who bring a new approach the game, and help us reach standards that for now seem unattainable.

I'd love to think our current board are capable of such imagination. I'm not hopeful though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    When you look at the managers that are setting new standards now, they are a new bread. They work deeply with sports science as well as football coaching. Their regimes have modern training, deep interval based fitness regimes, high focus on nutrition and recovery. They also use new thinking in the technical side of the game introduce new formations based around possession and deep awareness in their players of what to do in the game. They literally have learned behaviour that the know where to be and what to do.

Im talking about the Mourinho, AVB, Guardiola, Wenger, Martinez, Klopp, Bento. The reason Ferguson lasted so long was that he was incredibly open to learning and changed his approach notable over his 30 years as a boss. He brought in people around him who brought in new approaches.

Now we can obviously not get any of these guys, but when Fenlon goes, we should replace with someone who has these new methods and beliefs . Joh Collins did, unfortunately it would appear his man management skills didn't match his coaching philosophies. Great leaders need both technical capability and highly developed people skills. Mowbray was the nearest we had.

I've no desire to see us heading back the way Collins, Mcleish et al have moved on. So should we. Equally though, I've don't believe we should go for a Scottish "football man" e.g. Jimmy Calderwood. These are people versed in the past. We should be scouting to find the next Mourinho, AVB before the get their big break. Let us be their first success story.

So I'm not advocating for a foreign coach, I arguing for the right coach. Irrespective of where they come from. One that brings with them modern, and now proven ways, of maximising performance in players and teams.

Paul Clements - english ex PE teacher, has now worked with Ancelotti at Chelsea, PSG and now in the first team coaching set up at Real Madrid.

Ian Cathro - youngest ever Scottish academy coach in Scotland - with Levein at United at the age of 22. He is now assistant at Rio Avenue in Portugal. He moved as he couldn't see Scottish teams being open minded enough to let him develop his career.

Dan Ashworth - He is now head of Elite football development at the FA - obviously we cant hire him, too expensive, but let's go and speak to him and get his view of who the next AVB, Mourinho's etc are...They will know them..

It takes real vision and guts at the top of a football club to do something different and against common opinion. Such as Arsenal did when the brought in Wenger. Remember the headlines - "Arsene Who". The same reaction that most us gave when Mowbray arrived. We need new vision and a new philosophy. Perhaps one that this message board will rebel against at first. I don't see the way forward in a name that we recognise, it should be one of the new bread, who bring a new approach the game, and help us reach standards that for now seem unattainable.

I'd love to think our current board are capable of such imagination. I'm not hopeful though.
    Great post, hopefully Rod reads the bit in bold and acts on it, have my doubts though.

For me the next manager is an obvious choice. Alex Mcleish
    Doing nothing at the moment so no compensation payments to clubs, He knows the clubs set up,has worked with Petrie before and had a very good signing record not to mention a win rate of 47% with us.
    We just need to get over this 'he left to go to rankgers'mentality.
    Now is the time to be bold, get it done Petrie.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    For me the next manager is an obvious choice. Alex Mcleish
    Doing nothing at the moment so no compensation payments to clubs, He knows the clubs set up,has worked with Petrie before and had a very good signing record not to mention a win rate of 47% with us.
    We just need to get over this 'he left to go to rankgers'mentality.
    Now is the time to be bold, get it done Petrie.
    the ultimate chequebook manager. every club he has left has had a bloated wage bill which somebody else has had to sort out

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    the ultimate chequebook manager. every club he has left has had a bloated wage bill which somebody else has had to sort out
    We have had a very long line of managers since Mcleish who have thrown good money after bad on staff and players who quite frankly have not been good enough.
    At least with the money he spent we had a product on the park that was watchable.
    Would that debacle the other night have happened under him? No chance.
    I am quite confident that Petrie would keep a check on spending whoever we had in charge.

@hibs.net private member

Excellent post and worthy of more debate. Scottish football is dying and the people who run the game can't see it. If Hibs appointed any of the men mentioned above this board would explode. But surely its worth considering doing something completely different. Hope Powell anyone? It would certainly get Hibs lots of coverage, might even pick up more sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Excellent post and worthy of more debate. Scottish football is dying and the people who run the game can't see it. If Hibs appointed any of the men mentioned above this board would explode. But surely its worth considering doing something completely different. Hope Powell anyone? It would certainly get Hibs lots of coverage, might even pick up more sponsorship.
    Now that would be different, in some ways would love to see how that would work out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Lucky, Man - I would take the week off work just to savour the carnage on here if that happened! :) It would blow up the server for sure! haha

Lucky, Man - I would take the week off work just to savour the carnage on here if that happened! :) It would blow up the server for sure! haha
    Never heard of him but he looks a bit girly.

First Team Breakthrough Hibby_G's Avatar
    i probally would of picked david moyes but now he is at man u
    ill pick QPR manager
    Last edited by Hibby_G; 29-07-2013 at 02:56 PM.