hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interestingly most have given up on OTJ and Vine yet neither have played a league game. FFS let's give them s chance to settle in before we fling them on scrap heap
    I think vine looked OK, he looks like he can hold the ball up, get on the end of a header and he at least had the ball in the net even if it was offside.

OTJ looked decent last year, wouldn't rule him out at all.

I just hope the players can put that drubbing behind them and move on, it'll be hard for the fans but if the players linger on that pumping we are doomed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Why won't the world see that Liam Craig isn't a winger? We've signed a goal scoring midfielder, so play him in a position where he can score goals for christ sake.
    Exactly we done the same with Cairney last year, I think that is another reason why I have no faith in PF, once can be excused but twice is inexcusable!

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar

What needs to be done for the start of the season

1. Sign a goal threat - obviously if james Collins has signed then this is slightly irrelevant, but the point still stands. At the moment we have very little in terms of dangerous players

2. Work around the best players we have - I personally think that once Liam Craig and Rowan Vine are afforded the time to blend into and work with the rest of the squad, they will be very important. Liam Craig was one of the more important players on the team sheet for a squad that has finished well above us in the last few seasons and Vine is obviously out of match practice (he's not really played a full season for a long time before last year). Taiwo again is getting better and better and IMO by the end of the season were going to see flashes of why Chelsea payed £2.5m for him as a youngster (one of the few player to get pass marks last night)

3. Take pressure of the young guys - they should be able to slot into a team where they can be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, because at the moment they are carrying the hopes of the team and are scared to experiment because it can easily cost us a goal, signing some experienced players would hopefully solve this

4. Play players in there preferred positions - I understand that this is because we have a relatively small squad but Lewis Stevenson should be nowhere near right back, he should either be LB or CM those are his best positions and although I like him we have better so he should only be used for cover

any thoughts?

First Team Breakthrough rennie_hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC J-A-W View Post
    1. Sign a goal threat - obviously if james Collins has signed then this is slightly irrelevant, but the point still stands. At the moment we have very little in terms of dangerous players

2. Work around the best players we have - I personally think that once Liam Craig and Rowan Vine are afforded the time to blend into and work with the rest of the squad, they will be very important. Liam Craig was one of the more important players on the team sheet for a squad that has finished well above us in the last few seasons and Vine is obviously out of match practice (he's not really played a full season for a long time before last year). Taiwo again is getting better and better and IMO by the end of the season were going to see flashes of why Chelsea payed £2.5m for him as a youngster (one of the few player to get pass marks last night)

3. Take pressure of the young guys - they should be able to slot into a team where they can be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, because at the moment they are carrying the hopes of the team and are scared to experiment because it can easily cost us a goal, signing some experienced players would hopefully solve this

4. Play players in there preferred positions - I understand that this is because we have a relatively small squad but Lewis Stevenson should be nowhere near right back, he should either be LB or CM those are his best positions and although I like him we have better so he should only be used for cover

any thoughts?
    I agree with your 3rd point, and it doesn't just apply to the young players, I think the biggest issue is there is no confidence on the ball. Everyone seems scared to do anything that might put them at fault for a goal. McPake is the biggest culprit and has absolutely no composure, if your captain is playing in this way then we have no chance.

Mowbray and to a lesser extent Collins allowed the players to take risks, take people on and pass the ball about at the back. I don't understand the mentality of having to get rid of the ball as soon as we get it at the back. I remember watching Shelton Martis (who was terrible but that's not the point) and Rob Jones passing it around at the back, the ball was never punted long, then Thomson or boozy or whoever was playing deep in the midfield would collect it and start a passing attacking move. That doesn't happen anymore, and I'm assuming it's because Fenlon and the coaches don't teach them in that way.

It needs to stop

For too long now we have played players out of position on a regular basis. It's unacceptable get the players playing where the play best & are strongest and stop shuffling them about trying to make a square peg fit round hole. Rant over

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Personally, I would go:

Williams

Mullen
    Forster
    OTJ
    McGivern

Robertson
    Taiwo
    Thomson
    Harris

Collins
    Vine

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Down with this sort of thing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Down with this sort of thing.
    Careful now

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
    For too long now we have played players out of position on a regular basis. It's unacceptable get the players playing where the play best & are strongest and stop shuffling them about trying to make a square peg fit round hole. Rant over
    What about when you don't have any fit players to play in a certain position?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    What about when you don't have any fit players to play in a certain position?
    Fence that part of the pitch off

FWIW, we are a good CB away from a very good spine of a team, our weakness is the wings (zero creativity or flair) and full backs (zero defensive capabilities or indeed even a some idea how to play the position), every single team worth their salt will deploy pace on the wings and decimate us.

Williams
    Mullen. Forster. Hanlon. Mcgivern

Taiwo. Thomson

Harris. Craig. Vine

Collins

Murdoch
    Mcpake
    Stevenson
    Handling
    Caldwell
    Robertson
    Tudor jones

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I'm not sure if folk are posting teams for the Motherwell game or not (I suspect some are and others are posting what they regard as their best team).

However Jordon Forster and Rowan Vine are both suspended for the Motherwell game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Williams
    Mullen. Forster. Hanlon. Mcgivern

Taiwo. Thomson

Harris. Craig. Vine

Collins

Murdoch
    Mcpake
    Stevenson
    Handling
    Caldwell
    Robertson
    Tudor jones
    I was thinking about that team myself earlier, think it mightve done alright.

Unfortunately its just been mentiond below about the suspensions
    Last edited by adhibs; 26-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Interestingly most have given up on OTJ and Vine yet neither have played a league game. FFS let's give them s chance to settle in before we fling them on scrap heap

Pathetic really, new guys at the club already being slagged off before the season has begun in the League. What about Collins he must have done something wrong last night too surely.

Coaching Staff
    If we are talking full team just now:

Williams

Clancy
    McPake
    Hanlon
    McGivern

Harris
    Taiwo
    Thomson
    Craig

Vine
    Collins

Subs:

Murdoch
    Foster
    Mullen
    OTJ
    Robertson
    Caldwell
    Handling

Still to add:

Cairney
    Stevenson
    Stanton

etc.

I don't think that's a bad position, pity only one of the back four is fit.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    I was thinking about that team myself earlier, think it mightve done alright.

Unfortunately its just been mentiond below about the suspensions
    Yeah personally think that's the strongest team on paper, think it got the right balance of defence and attack about it an most players are comfortable on the ball

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    WILLIAMS

TAIWO FOSTER HANLON STEVENSON/McGIVERN

HARRIS OTJ CRAIG ROBERTSON

VINE
    COLLINS

Wide left is my problem and just threw Robertson in there, maybe even swap sides with Harris. Stevenson can't play right back and Mullins is not fit enough and thought Taiwo might just do a job there, can't be any worse than Lewis. Katie is a waste of space IMO, and a waste of a good wage and Craig really needs to be playing in the middle of midfield. TBH, the whole defense is more than a bit dodgy and why we never pushed the boat out to sign McManus I really don't know, it's a position we desperately need filled. Vine said he preferred to play off a main striker so that's his role now to try.

Left by mutual consent!

So... Team vs Motherwell?

My teams vs Well

Williams

Mullen
    OTJ
    Hanlon/Clancy
    McGivern

Taiwo
    Thomson

Harris
    Robertson
    Craig

Collins

Vine & Forster suspended.
    Last edited by BOB MARLEYS DUG; 26-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Would be considering a change in goals but doubt Pat or any new manager would risk change so soon . Was impressed by Murdoch against Gibraltar and if he`s not considered good enough to step in we should be looking for another goalie to provide real competition for Williams . Don`t think Caldwell and Handling are anywhere near ready for starting team . If fully fit , Clancy and McGivern in defence and hopefully we`ll sign a couple more players soon .

IMO Fenlon sees the squad as:

Williams, Murdoch

Clancy, Mullen
    McPake, Forster
    Hanlon, Donaldson
    McGivern, Stevenson

Harris, Robertson
    Taiwo, OTJ
    Thomson, Robertson
    Craig, Cairney, Stanton***

Vine, Handling
    Collins, Caldwell

And with his stubbornness, I think another CB is the best we can realistically hope for.

Sign a decent defence or decent backup since mcpake and Clancy are always out . When was the last time Clancy played ?

Vine and Handling were totally isolated last nite however no excuses ... Win as a team lose as a team.

I will say this I saw enough of Vine to see he will be an asset to the team.

Fwiw I would also go out and try and sign Webster. International experienced SPL defender. Him alongside either Hanlon or Forster would do me.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I'd sign a defender or two and a wide player with pace. I'd then play Craig in the middle. Harris on the left.

Heisenberg for manager! Plenty experience of managing people and could teach the team how to distribute the ball effectively. Jesse as assistant obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Vine and Handling were totally isolated last nite however no excuses ... Win as a team lose as a team.

I will say this I saw enough of Vine to see he will be an asset to the team.

Fwiw I would also go out and try and sign Webster. International experienced SPL defender. Him alongside either Hanlon or Forster would do me.
    Agree 100% with bit in bold. Alright, his best days are behind him, he chose them instead of us, [well the bigger wages anyway], but, he is just the type of c/h we need just now and is more than capable of handling life in the SPL. Team him with Forster and get rid of McPake and Hanlon. [Clancy can go as well for all the good he's done since signing, worn out our physio's table].

GK Williams

LB Mullen
    CH Forster
    CH ? (Not McPake)
    RB McGivern

DM Thomson

LW Harris
    MC Tudor Jones
    RW Stevenson

AMC/Support striker Craig

FW Collins/Vine

Or play Collins & Vine as 2 strikers, & Thomson instead of OTJ
    Last edited by LongshanksED; 26-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Looking at these lineups it depressing to see that we are about to head into the season with only Harris that gives the team genuine width and pace, to me its where Fenlon has really blown it as he has signed a load of guys to play centre mid and i have no idea where he expects to play them all its mental

Quote Originally Posted by LongshanksED View Post
    GK Williams

LB Mullen
    CH Forster
    CH ? (Not McPake)
    RB McGivern

DM Thomson

LW Harris
    MC Tudor Jones
    RW Stevenson

AMC/Support striker Craig

FW Collins/Vine

Or play Collins & Vine as 2 strikers, & Thomson instead of OTJ

Stevenson right wing?!?!? And people say Fenlon is clueless

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    What team changes would you make?

Easy peasy - support Raith Rovers

Only reason l'd put Stevenson on RW is that hes better there than at LB

Judging by Mullens performance, I wouldn't mind seeing him trying a RW role

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Assuming McPake and Clancy are still injured and Forster is suspended i'd go for this against Motherwell.

__________________Williams

Mullen_______Jones________Hanlon______McGivern

_____________Taiwo_____Thomson

_____Handling_______Craig___________Harris

___________________Vine (or Collins if signed)

Craig pushing forward from midfield to support the striker with Mullen/Handling and McGivern/Harris giving us width and overlapping down the wings.

Im expecting something more like this from Fenlon though: