hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough Seekyit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also lived in goteborg for a year. I completed my apprenticeship with ford and moved to Sweden where I worked with a Honda garage. I got triple the wages over there to what I got here.

The football in Sweden is played a different way to here and I believe this is the reason why they have better teams. The team I played with was a athletics club which simply meant that the young kids had something to do every night of the week for example Monday was basketball training, Tuesday netball, Wednesday football ect.

Their teams are pushing there players to control a ball dead first time, awareness of who is around you, and most importantly enjoyment. I just don't think Scotland has progressed to this way of thinking yet it's all about winning, getting the ball into the oppositions half as quickly as possible and that's easier done with the biggest boys you can find.
    We as fans definitely lack patience. After 10 minutes last night someone behind me was shouting for Hibs to "step it up". Still, the odd thing here is that St Johnstone seem to have done a job against fairly similar opposition as us. What is wrong with us?

2. Log in to remove the advert

One thing Sweden and Norway have not had is the distorting black hole effect of an Old Firm. It was always bad but for the past 30 years the distorting effect of the OF on the economics and competitiveness of Scottish football have been magnified. In Scotland teams gain almost no economic benefit from improvement in domestic performance. The budget gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest meant that our game became a two horse race. The failure of the governing bodies to ensure more equitable distribution of income widened that gap. The arrival of the money-tree which is the Champions League has made the position even worse for "the rest". The rest of the SPL(SPFL) now act more as a doormat then a hurdle for Celtic as they go to collect their free money.

Quote Originally Posted by NGH View Post
    One thing Sweden and Norway have not had is the distorting black hole effect of an Old Firm. It was always bad but for the past 30 years the distorting effect of the OF on the economics and competitiveness of Scottish football have been magnified. In Scotland teams gain almost no economic benefit from improvement in domestic performance. The budget gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest meant that our game became a two horse race. The failure of the governing bodies to ensure more equitable distribution of income widened that gap. The arrival of the money-tree which is the Champions League has made the position even worse for "the rest". The rest of the SPL(SPFL) now act more as a doormat then a hurdle for Celtic as they go to collect their free money.
    Probably a good point re Sweden not being dominated by 2 teams, also think if that was the case in Scotland most of the clubs here would have been able to keep hold of their better players and the need to sell would not be so great as hopefully local people would have been supporting Hibs or Hearts rather than go glory chasing supporting the OF.

Can you imagine if we had been able to hold on to the better players we have un-earthed (or signed) in recent years, as per below, we would certainly be able to compete in the Europa League then.

Fletcher
    Brown
    Whittaker
    Murphy
    Jones
    Bamba
    Stokes
    Zemmama
    Killen

makes you wonder how much wages these Swedish players are on.
    Surely can't be much more than Hibs pay.
    Perhaps a couple of Scandies in the team would give a boost.
    When was the last time there was a really good all Brit side in Scotland?
    Probably Celtic 1967,Hibs 73,New firm early 80s,Sevco 86?
    Times have changed.
    Players from abroad Always seem to be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    makes you wonder how much wages these Swedish players are on.
    Surely can't be much more than Hibs pay.
    Perhaps a couple of Scandies in the team would give a boost.
    When was the last time there was a really good all Brit side in Scotland?
    Probably Celtic 1967,Hibs 73,New firm early 80s,Sevco 86?
    Times have changed.
    Players from abroad Always seem to be better now.
    I'd imagine Swedish players will be on a decent whack because they will lose a high % to tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'd imagine Swedish players will be on a decent whack because they will lose a high % to tax.
    It shouldn't really matter though, it's the "take home" pay that counts at the end of the day rather than the top line figure I would have thought.

Turnips out, swedes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Somebody posted earlier on this thread that the guy that played up front for them is on Ģ18k a week.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 29-07-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Interesting thread this! Top players in Allsvenskan (the swedish league) make about 250,000 SEK a month. Thatīs about 25K € a month and I canīt really see players making 18K a week, thatīs unheard of......

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Malmo is a city with around 300,000 residents. It's slightly smaller than Edinburgh, but we have 2 team's (at the moment) sharing support and income. The cost of goods is more expensive, so would expect salaries to be likewise. Think their tax is high as well. Was over last week for the game, and found out that the Danish tax is 49%. When you strip out everything, it will boil down to Malmo having a greater ave attendance than Hibs from a finance point of view.
    However we are world's apart on football ability, if last nights showing is anything to go by
    And people crow about taxes.

Look what happens in countries where politicians give a **** and care about the country.

I give you Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

And we have a lot to learn from their football culture also.

J