hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Just cracked open my first bottle of this stuff and its my best beer to date, superb stuff and very similar to goose island ipa. 40 pints for £22 can't be bad although the 7 week wait is the difficult bit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Just back from Copenhagen Beer Celebration. Beer Geeks paradise and tickets galore, but one of the best weekends ever.

3 Floyds Dark Lord, Cigar City Hunahpu's, Westbrook BA Mexican Cake, as well as an abundance of world class sours. Best £200 I've ever spent.

Ive just poured a bottle of drygate crossing the rubicon and the whole things full of yeast. Not a bit at the bottom of the bottle, the whole pint glass is sparkled with the stuff all over. Ive never came across this before, is it intentinal or off?
    Last edited by adhibs; 22-07-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive just poured a bottle of drygate crossing the rubicon and the whole things full of yeast. Not a bit at the bottom of the bottle, the whole pint glass is sparkled with the stuff all over. Ive never came across this before, is it intential or off?
    A fair few beers have a bit yeast in the bottle but that sounds like too much to me. Sierra Nevada can be bad for that as well, it's just not a pleasant mouth feel more than anything imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A fair few beers have a bit yeast in the bottle but that sounds like too much to me. Sierra Nevada can be bad for that as well, it's just not a pleasant mouth feel more than anything imo.
    Thats it there. it didnt taste too bad to begin with but its going down the sink now. Luckily ive never cane across that with sierra nevada
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gamer IDs

Thats it there. it didnt taste too bad to begin with but its going down the sink now. Luckily ive never cane across that with sierra nevada
    Did you pour it slowly? Looks to me like they've probably left a little bit too much yeast in but that a careful pour could have kept most of it in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Did you pour it slowly? Looks to me like they've probably left a little bit too much yeast in but that a careful pour could have kept most of it in the bottle.
    was poured slowly, although it does get very boring

Gamer IDs

was poured slowly, although it does get very boring
    I know that feeling! I've never had any of their stuff from bottle for comparison, don't tend to see it down here.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Anyone ever tried some of the Alaskan Brewing Co beers? Brewed in the capital Juneau. I'm just back from Alaska and their beers along with some of the more local brewers offerings were fantastic.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    Anyone ever tried some of the Alaskan Brewing Co beers? Brewed in the capital Juneau. I'm just back from Alaska and their beers along with some of the more local brewers offerings were fantastic.
    I haven't but I'll look out for them. I have had a few good beers from Anchorage Brewing Co though.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Planning to start a homebrew project very soon - also building a pizza oven for my garden so planning on treating visitors to the NH residence to home made beer and home made pizza later in the year.

Anyone with advice on where to start in sourcing homebrew stuff? Anyone done it before?

Edit: also been drinking two very good beers recently, one is a smoked German beer with a really meaty, smoked bacon flavour;

And Gooseberry Cove - a sour pale ale from Buxton flavoured with gooseberry. Fantastically refreshing sour beer.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-02-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Planning to start a homebrew project very soon - also building a pizza oven for my garden so planning on treating visitors to the NH residence to home made beer and home made pizza later in the year.

Anyone with advice on where to start in sourcing homebrew stuff? Anyone done it before?
    Love the idea of the pizza oven.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Edit: also been drinking two very good beers recently, one is a smoked German beer with a really meaty, smoked bacon flavour;

And Gooseberry Cove - a sour pale ale from Buxton flavoured with gooseberry. Fantastically refreshing sour beer.
    Never done it myself but i believe there's a good homebrew shop in newington on clerk st.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Never done it myself but i believe there's a good homebrew shop in newington on clerk st.
    https://www.brewstore.co.uk/

in Aberdeen

http://www.highergroundshop.co.uk/

there is also one on King Street Aberdeen.

You owe me a pint
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    It's surprisingly easy, and quite satisfying. The only tedious bit is cleaning the bottles.

This stuff, if done properly is superb. It's very much a clone of goose island ipa and my last batch tipped the scales at 6.5%

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/american-...n-ipa-beer-kit

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    It's surprisingly easy, and quite satisfying. The only tedious bit is cleaning the bottles.

This stuff, if done properly is superb. It's very much a clone of goose island ipa and my last batch tipped the scales at 6.5%

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/american-...n-ipa-beer-kit

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Nice one degenerated. The main reason I've never done it is i can't keep beer in the house without drinking it at a rate that isn't healthy

Brewing my own might be good for my wallet... but would definitely be bad for my liver

First Team Breakthrough
    Jarl from Loch Fyne Brewery is pretty decent stuff.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Inns and Gunn just announced the purchase of Inveralmond Brewery

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Inns and Gunn just announced the purchase of Inveralmond Brewery
    Will continue under he same management and also continue to produce Inveralmond beers, will be expanded to also produce I&G ales
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Just had a lovely pint of This Is Lager in brewdog Soho served by Calvin of these boards. Nice pint.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Maybe more a bar/pub question than beer specifically but I've just moved to Glasgow - recommendations for the best place to get a good pint of beer?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Maybe more a bar/pub question than beer specifically but I've just moved to Glasgow - recommendations for the best place to get a good pint of beer?
    I don't know glasgow pubs very well but the one place I've been that i particularly enjoyed was the west brewery beerhall. On the edge of glasgow green i think and they serve all their own beers, st mungo, wild west, dunkel etc which are brewed on site. You can see the brewing equipment downstairs and I'm told it's heaving outside in good weather (it was hosing down the day i was there naturally ). Good food too

Depends where you are.

I've not lived here for that long but central choices for a good beer for me usually are Max's on Queen St or The Drum & Monkey. Fly and The Pig is also quite good, but my memories of being there are rather hazy.

West end you have Brewdog, Lebowskis, Three Judges on dumbarton rd, loads on and around Byers Rd and Ashton Lane - I quite enjoy The Wee Pub.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I don't know glasgow pubs very well but the one place I've been that i particularly enjoyed was the west brewery beerhall. On the edge of glasgow green i think and they serve all their own beers, st mungo, wild west, dunkel etc which are brewed on site. You can see the brewing equipment downstairs and I'm told it's heaving outside in good weather (it was hosing down the day i was there naturally ). Good food too
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    Depends where you are.

I've not lived here for that long but central choices for a good beer for me usually are Max's on Queen St or The Drum & Monkey. Fly and The Pig is also quite good, but my memories of being there are rather hazy.

West end you have Brewdog, Lebowskis, Three Judges on dumbarton rd, loads on and around Byers Rd and Ashton Lane - I quite enjoy The Wee Pub.
    Cheers both. I'm actually living in Lanark but we're in Glasgow everyday for work up at the West End and then centre on the way home. Once the house is unpacked, we're looking to explore some tippling establishments, so the recommendations are welcome!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Jarl from Loch Fyne Brewery is pretty decent stuff.
    This is my go to/if all else fails/treat myself/I don't mind if I do/lose, draw, win/ cheers - thank fck I'm a Hibbie, favourite beer. Slightly chilled it's like an explosion of citrus fruit in yir mooth.

Lager cannae touch it on a hot day.

And I pass the brewery every time I head east.

In addition to the others mentioned, there's the Bon Accord between the Mitchell Theatre and West Coast Harley which is one of Glasgow's oldest real ale bars.

In the West End you've got Tennents at the junction of Byres Road and Highburgh Road (which, despite the name sells decent beer), the Ubiquitous Chip (in Ashton Lane behind Byres Road) which is a famed eatery cum bar frequented by quite a smart set, and Oran Mor at the top of Byres Road which is a good place for a night out. The clientèle is quite varied at times (think actors/musos/ broadcasters, rugby players) but it's usually busy and there's a reasonable selection of beers.

Right...here goes.

Not usually a big drinker but for some reason I've been drinking every weekend since the 21 May

Hit a bit of a brick wall now. I know I’ll get lambasted for this but I love Budweiser. Sorry.

Recently I drank quite a lot of mixed fruit ciders but I was drinking it last night and I've hit a wall. Bagged up and didn't really enjoy it. Now I feel rough!

I need a new drink but not a fan of gin so I'm avoiding the whole craze for it just now. Wine gives me heartburn so that's ruled out.

Might go back to Bud but open to offers. Quite like a Cearars Augusta (is that it). Will be drinking in places like the Dockers and the Hibs Club so nothing too funky!

Also, anyone know of any shops or bars in Edinburgh that stocks Mickeys beer? The House of Pain used to go on about it and randomly back in the nineties Scotmid used to stock it. Small, screw cap 5.5% lager that was pretty decent.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Right...here goes.

Not usually a big drinker but for some reason I've been drinking every weekend since the 21 May

Hit a bit of a brick wall now. I know I’ll get lambasted for this but I love Budweiser. Sorry.

Recently I drank quite a lot of mixed fruit ciders but I was drinking it last night and I've hit a wall. Bagged up and didn't really enjoy it. Now I feel rough!

I need a new drink but not a fan of gin so I'm avoiding the whole craze for it just now. Wine gives me heartburn so that's ruled out.

Might go back to Bud but open to offers. Quite like a Cearars Augusta (is that it). Will be drinking in places like the Dockers and the Hibs Club so nothing too funky!

Also, anyone know of any shops or bars in Edinburgh that stocks Mickeys beer? The House of Pain used to go on about it and randomly back in the nineties Scotmid used to stock it. Small, screw cap 5.5% lager that was pretty decent.

Cheers!
    I also like budweiser your not alone

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Right...here goes.

Cheers!
    I remember that stuff!

I had been banging onto someone a few weeks ago about the beer that used to come in a little green jar and that must have been it (when I googled it I saw that it came in a "wide-mouthed" bottle).

I remember drinking it quite a lot when I'd just moved up to Dundee in 1995.

I'm afraid I can't help you locating it here though.

The best beer I've drunk in recent years is "Shiner Bock". I was over visiting my girlfriend's brother and his family in Houston a couple of years ago - it's all over the place there.

Brilliant beer, I've been craving it.

Need to get back over for another visit I think.

Enjoy Brewdog s Punk I P A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk