hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic test match, whatever the outcome.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    So far in this Test, Australia's last wicket has added 213 for 1. Rest of the team - 348 for 18.

England win the test, quite clearly a loud noise on snicko, great match, 10 wicket match for young James!

Thought it was audible enough watching it live.

That was a fantastic contest. Roll on the 2nd test.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    England win the test, quite clearly a loud noise on snicko, great match, 10 wicket match for young James!
    Was that snicko though or just the original audio ?

Gamer IDs

Snicko confirms.

snicko has confirmed the audio. Fantastic drama

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Was that snicko though or just the original audio ?
    I was just basing it on the original audio, but, the noise couldnae have been anything else.

Gamer IDs

I was just basing it on the original audio, but, the noise couldnae have been anything else.
    That looked the case when on replay the bat was nowhere near the pads or the crease.

I am a bit of an old codger where cricket is concerned but I must say the test match served up a pretty tense ending.

What I don't like is all these "challenges". The umpire's word should be final - even if he's an idiot.

I also don't care for the singing of patriotic songs before the sessions. What is that all about? The Barmy Army?

The main problem with cricket now is that it's not on terrestrial TV any more.

The last one that was on the telly (Channel 4) - I think 2005 - was very exciting with Flintoff offering his hand to Lee etc etc

I've ignored cricket since then but maybe I'll bite the bullet and get into it again.

As someone posted earlier SKY have taken tv coverage onto another level. Something they've pretty much managed to do with every sport they've taken under their wing.

Get in there.
    Cougars!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    No changes to the England squad for the second test. Good call I think, would have been easy to drop Finn but he'll come good on his own wicket.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    No changes to the England squad for the second test. Good call I think, would have been easy to drop Finn but he'll come good on his own wicket.

Makes sense. I like Finn as a bowler - he may not be quite as dangerous as Broad and Anderson, but when he's in the groove he's very difficult to play against. Reminds me a bit of Geoff Arnold, another underestimated bowler in the days of Bob Willis and Chris Old.

That Test was a very close-run thing, and England did very well to come through as winners. It ould easily have gone the other way and the fact that they did win speaks volumes for Cook's captaincy and the character of the team. It would have been unjust and unwise to drop anyone IMO.

Second Test will show us what the Aussies are made of. My feeling is that England (weather permitting) will go 2-0 up and cruise the rest of the series.

Well done Stuart Broad for being a cheat and winning his team the game. Hopefully we can now forget all this 'gentlemans' game pish as it's clear that Cricket is just the same as Football, Rugby etc when it comes to winning at ALL costs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Well done Stuart Broad for being a cheat and winning his team the game. Hopefully we can now forget all this 'gentlemans' game pish as it's clear that Cricket is just the same as Football, Rugby etc when it comes to winning at ALL costs.
    I'm not so sure that is true or fair Dave. When a pack of snarling players surrounds the umpire and tells him in the foulest terms possible that he got a decision wrong then Cricket will have reached the same level as Fitba etc. It was unfortunate that he didn't just walk off but he was within his rights to wait for the Umpires call.
    I wouldn't say that his actions won England the game either. That was an epic five day contest with so many twists and turns you couldn't really say that one incident determined the result.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I'm not so sure that is true or fair Dave. When a pack of snarling players surrounds the umpire and tells him in the foulest terms possible that he got a decision wrong then Cricket will have reached the same level as Fitba etc. It was unfortunate that he didn't just walk off but he was within his rights to wait for the Umpires call.
    I wouldn't say that his actions won England the game either. That was an epic five day contest with so many twists and turns you couldn't really say that one incident determined the result.
    Like Mike Gatting and Shakoor Rana you mean OK, it wasn't a pack but Gatting is big enough to qualify as a pack.

I don't mind Broad standing there - If he wants to cheat so blatently that's his decision - but it's a bit rich of England to moan about Trott and his LBW then sit smugly back and watch him cheat his way to another 40 or so runs.

Like Mike Gatting and Shakoor Rana you mean OK, it wasn't a pack but Gatting is big enough to qualify as a pack.I don't mind Broad standing there - If he wants to cheat so blatently that's his decision - but it's a bit rich of England to moan about Trott and his LBW then sit smugly back and watch him cheat his way to another 40 or so runs.

The 2nd Test begins at Lords this morning, if its half as good as the Trent Bridge test we are in for a treat. Not so many updates from me today as I'll be consuming some alfresco pints down Leith pre Malmo first leg screening!

England win the toss and bat first.

Cook out for 12 lbw Watson, 18-1

Root out lbw 6, 26-2. Here we go again!

KP out caught behind 2, 28-3

KP out caught behind 2, 28-3
    Oh dear!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The 2nd Test begins at Lords this morning, if its half as good as the Trent Bridge test we are in for a treat. Not so many updates from me today as I'll be consuming some alfresco pints down Leith pre Malmo first leg screening!
    Hijacking the thread.... where you watching it?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hijacking the thread.... where you watching it?
    Harp & Castle, nae Strongbow though, unfortunately for me.

Gamer IDs

Cricket has always been schizophrenic - "gentlemen" and "players" both taking part, and the "gentlemen" just as competitive as the professionals. W G Grace was notorious for taking as much advantage as he could in order to win a match - and he was one of the "gentlemen". His encounter with Charles Kortrght in 1898 - and Kortright was a ferociously intimidatory bowler - is a classic of late-Victorian cricket. "You're not going yet, Doc - there's one stump still standing ..." Grace claimed he had never been so insulted in his life, and said so to an Essex committee member, who told him not to be so silly - of course he had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kortright

The batsmen has always had the right to stand and await the umpire's decision - during the Lord's test during the first South African series after they were re-admitted to Test cricket Mike Atherton stood his ground after Allan Donald caught his outside edge. He was given not out, and that led to one of the most absorbing hours of cricket I've ever seen - Donald bowling over after over of the most hostile deliveries imaginable, and Atherton defending doggedly until finally Cronje took Donald off exhausted.

And then of course there was Dougie Jardine and the Bodyline series ...

Sportsmanship> I don't think so. At one point Jardine complained to the Bill Woodfull the Australian captain that one of the Aussies had called him (Jardine) a "*******". Bill agreed that this wasn't on, and offered to sort it out right away. So he took Jardine into he Aussie dressing-room, called for silence, and asked the Aussie players, "All right, which one of you *******s called this ******* a *******?"

And then there was the great Aussie fast bowler Lillian Thomson ...

The first Ashes series I watched throughout involved the Chappell brothers, Ray Illingworth, and Geoffrey Boycott, it was so long ago. Never since then have I seen a batsman, English or Australian, walk unless his stumps have been flattened or scattered to the four winds. You just don't do it, mate - not in the Ashes.

Cricket isn't a gentleman's sport, Dave - it's fun.

The Lord's wicket in this weather is a lovely wicket for a seamer, and with the bowlers on show this could be a very interesting match.
    Last edited by --------; 18-07-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Good stuff Doddie, but at the end of the day Broad cheated plain and simple. Plenty of sport commentators out there are quick to criticise footballers for diving, fouling off the ball and so on, but by your definition they have the right to do that as its the referee's decision?

Let's apply the same things to football and cricket et al. You can't call Suarez a cheat for falling over in the penalty box, yet give Broad credit for standing his ground.

Gamer IDs

I appreciate that, Dave, but this has always been part of the 'code' - a batsman is entitled to stand his ground, but if the umpire raises his finger, then the batsman has to go. I'm actually more peeved by this idea of appeals being allowed - when I first started watching, the umpires were always right even when they were wrong.

I think the problem is when some idiot starts talking about cricket as if it were somehow different from (and morally superior to) any other sport. It isn't and never has been. There's always an edge in the Ashes - the stories of Aussie sledging of English batsmen, and English batsmen getting them back, are legion.

Merv Hughes used to stop in the middle of the wicket after a delivery, look at the batsman, and tell him, "Hey, mate, there's some **** on the end of your bat." And when the batsman would raise his bat to look at the toe of the bat, Merv would say, "No, mate - other end."

Have you ever heard THIS before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCNUrnsu2s
    Last edited by --------; 18-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I appreciate that, Dave, but this has always been part of the 'code' - a batsman is entitled to stand his ground, but if the umpire raises his finger, then the batsman has to go. I'm actually more peeved by this idea of appeals being allowed - when I first started watching, the umpires were always right even when they were wrong.

I think the problem is when some idiot starts talking about cricket as if it were somehow different from (and morally superior to) any other sport. It isn't and never has been. There's always an edge in the Ashes - the stories of Aussie sledging of English batsmen, and English batsmen getting them back, are legion.

Merv Hughes used to stop in the middle of the wicket after a delivery, look at the batsman, and tell him, "Hey, mate, there's some **** on the end of your bat." And when the batsman would raise his bat to look at the toe of the bat, Merv would say, "No, mate - other end."
    haha, that's a belter

Like you, I'm getting a bit bored with DRS and the reviews. Beginning to agree with Aggers that 1 review per innings is the best option which takes away the 'hope I get lucky here' option.