hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was managing one of the shops in Ocean Terminal in 2010. It was the morning of our delivery so we were all busy putting stock on the shelves. The conversation turned to that summer's World Cup. I was explaining to the girls I was working with about the ABE t-shirts that were going about at the time. My supervisor (Irish) asked who I would be supporting and I jokingly said "anyone but England". A customer was in the aisle next to us and popped her head over and said that I should watch what I was saying as somebody could take offence and that she had. She walked out of the shop.

A few weeks later I was having my appraisal. Everything had been more than expected and it was plain sailing. My boss (English) at the end asked if I remembered a conversation about football. It turned out that the woman had complained to our Head Office about what I had said. Having been married to an English woman for 9 years and lived in England for 11 years, I explained that I was certainly not anti-English but just didn't support the England football team. Just as I'm a Hibs fan and don't want to see Hearts winning anything, it's just sport.

I ended up getting a verbal warning. That was the beginning of the end for me in that job. I left soon after.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was managing one of the shops in Ocean Terminal in 2010. It was the morning of our delivery so we were all busy putting stock on the shelves. The conversation turned to that summer's World Cup. I was explaining to the girls I was working with about the ABE t-shirts that were going about at the time. My supervisor (Irish) asked who I would be supporting and I jokingly said "anyone but England". A customer was in the aisle next to us and popped her head over and said that I should watch what I was saying as somebody could take offence and that she had. She walked out of the shop.

A few weeks later I was having my appraisal. Everything had been more than expected and it was plain sailing. My boss (English) at the end asked if I remembered a conversation about football. It turned out that the woman had complained to our Head Office about what I had said. Having been married to an English woman for 9 years and lived in England for 11 years, I explained that I was certainly not anti-English but just didn't support the England football team. Just as I'm a Hibs fan and don't want to see Hearts winning anything, it's just sport.

I ended up getting a verbal warning. That was the beginning of the end for me in that job. I left soon after.
    How much of a pathetic loser do you have to be to go to the effort of calling a head office over that.

Some people really need to get a life (and sense of humour). Embarrassing.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    How much of a pathetic loser do you have to be to go to the effort of calling a head office over that.

Some people really need to get a life (and sense of humour). Embarrassing.

If I went to HR over some of the things said to me at work and likewise if my colleagues did we'd all be out of a job no doubt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    If I went to HR over some of the things said to me at work and likewise if my colleagues did we'd all be out of a job no doubt
    ...one you will appreciate (maybe )

Doing a Jumble sale in the church hall a week past saturday - cupboard door lock is jamming and requires a bit of skill..... - scouser mate comes to me and says 'can't get into cupboard'....I point to knife...he looks bemused...'your not telling me you cant get past that lock with a knife' as I proceed to demonstrate....'you won't be able to hold you head up back home admitting this'........

Bit of banter between mates........or shocking cultural stereotyping.....

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    Have been lucky enough to get tickets for No. 1 Court on Wednesday this week. Looking forward to the day out.

C'mon, Andy!
    What Cabbage top will you be wearing?
    Give us a wave

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Andy, Roger and Rafa. One of them has to play No1 court on this day. Lucky you.
    Well, not Rafa, unfortunately. And probably not Roger as he seems to be able to command the Centre Court.

Saw Federer and Djokovic at the ATP Tour Final at the O2 in November.

Tennis, but not as we mere earthlings understand it.

We can always go out and watch the Centre Court action on the Big Screen, if tempted. Whilst having our picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    What Cabbage top will you be wearing?
    Give us a wave
    Only got a scarf. But will give a few waves if the camera pans our way.

Andy just won!

Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    Only got a scarf. But will give a few waves if the camera pans our way.

Andy just won!
    And had his chances of winning the tournament greatly improved as Nadal has gone out in the 1st round (first time ever in a slam) which makes his path to the final easier (on paper anyway)

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YehButNo But View Post
    And had his chances of winning the tournament greatly improved as Nadal has gone out in the 1st round (first time ever in a slam) which makes his path to the final easier (on paper anyway)
    Might've actually made it harder for him as Fed could go into the semi fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Might've actually made it harder for him as Fed could go into the semi fresh.
    Somehow think Murray has the beating of Federer these days.

He wont beat that croatian guy though!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Why not, he did in New York, he's not unbeatable.

He came across really well in the programme. His dedication should be an inspiration to any young Scottish sportsperson.

Djockovic? he's a Serb.

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    ...one you will appreciate (maybe )

Doing a Jumble sale in the church hall a week past saturday - cupboard door lock is jamming and requires a bit of skill..... - scouser mate comes to me and says 'can't get into cupboard'....I point to knife...he looks bemused...'your not telling me you cant get past that lock with a knife' as I proceed to demonstrate....'you won't be able to hold you head up back home admitting this'........

Bit of banter between mates........or shocking cultural stereotyping.....

Funny enough folk have come to me several times in work to open "locked" drawers, cupboards or the odd door, I have some basic lock knowledge and can overcome a few without any damage, I always tell them it was on the curriculum in my scouse school!

Right.. so Chris Hoy.. gets The Sir.. thingy from the maj - and i assume its just for riding a bike...

what does andy have to do ???

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Right.. so Chris Hoy.. gets The Sir.. thingy from the maj - and i assume its just for riding a bike...

what does andy have to do ???

Win Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Rafa on No 1 today, so prob won't be on Wednesday.
    He isn't!

Just watched the programme from last night on BBC iPlayer - what a great watch

In Andy and Jamie Murray we trust

Who?

Marin Cilic (Croation Number One)?

Murray beat him at Queens earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice Of Reason View Post
    Just watched the programme from last night on BBC iPlayer - what a great watch

In Andy and Jamie Murray we trust

I just watched it on iPlayer as well....it was very moving when he returned to Dunblane with his medals and when Sue Barker asked him about that horrible day when he was at primary school i think we saw a picture of a man with a lot of emotions bottled up inside. He says he seldom speaks of that day which is understandable and i guess he never received councilling as it wasn't so fashionable twenty years ago. I got the impression that there are a lot more tears inside of him just waiting for the right moment to come out.

Blog Entries
    Funny enough folk have come to me several times in work to open "locked" drawers, cupboards or the odd door, I have some basic lock knowledge and can overcome a few without any damage, I always tell them it was on the curriculum in my scouse school!
    ....now that leads to the 'discussion' I regularly have with Mrs DTS (who is English)...which starts with me making some disparaging statement...and her saying 'you can't say that! - its a stereotype'....'no its not its a trueism.....'

Like when we were in Glasgow Central Station after I had passed comment on the youth of Glasgow....and was told off...cue a bunch of neds that would have made extras on Chewing The Fat passing by...and me with a smug look...'its a trueism dear'.....

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Hardly.

It was said during a light hearted segment of a press conference between Murray and Tim Henman and was only said after Henman poked fun at Murray in relation to Scotland failing to qualify for the World Cup.

It was a joke, nothing more than that, and in response to your comment with regards to how Scots would react if it was an English person making a comment about Scotland, I don't think Henman's comment that day did anything to lessen his support from Scottish tennis fans. Of course people up here love Murray more than they did Henman because Murray is Scottish, but Henman was treated very well by the British press (including the press in Scotland) during his career.

The reaction from the English tabloids to that incident was absolutely ridiculous, in particular describing him as a racist was just outrageous.

I would suggest that anyone who continues to hold a grudge against someone after they made a light hearted comment seven years ago when they were just 19 years old seriously needs to get a life and grow up.

It is totally without justification and I would go even further to suggest that the real reason why some people down south will never support Murray is because they are jealous of the fact that the best British tennis player for 70 years is Scottish and it is more about their own prejudices than anything Murray has said in the past.

The comment in 2006 is just a convenient excuse for them to keep clinging on to.
    Great post.

The way Murray was set up by the English media and the eagerness of many middle-Englanders to jump on this nonsense shows an unedifying anti-Scottish at heart of their psyche. Yes, there are Scots who are just as brainless and bigoted with regards to the English. However this particular incident reflects much, much more negatively on a section of English society than it does on Andy Murray.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Great post.

The way Murray was set up by the English media and the eagerness of many middle-Englanders to jump on this nonsense shows an unedifying anti-Scottish at heart of their psyche. Yes, there are Scots who are just as brainless and bigoted with regards to the English. However this particular incident reflects much, much more negatively on a section of English society than it does on Andy Murray.
    That about sums it up for me. If similar remarks are made by an Englishman then it's put down to their lovable eccentricity and laughed off as Jimmy Greaves like banter but if we do it then it's underlying whisky fuelled hatred for all things English.

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    ....now that leads to the 'discussion' I regularly have with Mrs DTS (who is English)...which starts with me making some disparaging statement...and her saying 'you can't say that! - its a stereotype'....'no its not its a trueism.....'

Like when we were in Glasgow Central Station after I had passed comment on the youth of Glasgow....and was told off...cue a bunch of neds that would have made extras on Chewing The Fat passing by...and me with a smug look...'its a trueism dear'.....

My missus (who is Scottish) had started a new job and was involved in a conversation where one guy eventually got around to slagging all things English and then referred to a shooting story in Liverpool he had heard on the news and how that Liverpool must be like the wild west, scouse thiefs etc etc. Keeping quiet she let him rant on until he asked her opinion to which she replied...................."I'm not sure to be honest, I'll check with my Scouse husband tonight and come back to you after our weekend away in Liverpool to see his parents!
    Cue lots of backtracking from the red faced clown

My missus (who is Scottish) had started a new job and was involved in a conversation where one guy eventually got around to slagging all things English and then referred to a shooting story in Liverpool he had heard on the news and how that Liverpool must be like the wild west, scouse thiefs etc etc. Keeping quiet she let him rant on until he asked her opinion to which she replied...................."I'm not sure to be honest, I'll check with my Scouse husband tonight and come back to you after our weekend away in Liverpool to see his parents!
    One of my mates is a Manc ( also United, god knows why I'm his friend!?) and we were clay pigeon shooting a couple of months ago. When it was his turn he stepped up and the guy in charge said, "You're from Manchester?". "Yes" my pal replied, to which the guy said, "I suppose you'll have only used these sawn-off then!".

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Andy Murray, he's one of our own.

Need to get that sung someday.
    When he wins Wimbledon - next home game. Hampden crowd T world cup qualifier sung only one Andy Murray after he won US Open. Very moving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    One of my mates is a Manc ( also United, god knows why I'm his friend!?) and we were clay pigeon shooting a couple of months ago. When it was his turn he stepped up and the guy in charge said, "You're from Manchester?". "Yes" my pal replied, to which the guy said, "I suppose you'll have only used these sawn-off then!".
    both very funny

Still confused as to why they call it henman hill and not Murray mount. Middle class englandome I suppose.

He's going all the way this time, my prediction, it's his year.